Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mirror123 posted:

Any recommendations on how to get caught up on Loki's major events? I guess I'm interested in why he's a she sometimes or he's a kid sometimes, but any awesome stories are welcome.
I have unlimited if that helps.

Here's a good reading order, you can easily skip everything listed as optional
http://journey-into-mystery.tumblr.com/post/30097993112/kidlokiguide

After finishing Young Avengers there's Loki: Agent of Asgard and the Thor/Angela Original Sin mini-series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I don't know if Chew gets a lot of love here or not, but the last omnibus just came out on IST. Picked it up, I hope it's a good finish, I enjoyed it a lot.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I have a friend who enjoyed every bit of it. On the other hand, his only other comics are Green Lanterns, Hal Jordan, and Suicide Squad, so take that as you will.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Chew is amazing. One of my favorite books of this decade, along with Hawkeye, Saga, and Sex Criminals. I have yet to read the final volume, but I have no doubt it ended well. It's a shame that the iZombie TV show concept is relatively close to Chew, because it would make a wonderful series.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I've been going through Excalibur on MU and noticed it starts to get spotty after Alan Davis' run (#65 or thereabouts). Is there anything to recommend in the rest of the series? It looks like it largely got tossed from creator to creator post-Davis. MU does have all of Ellis' run but nothing much beside that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've never really read a lot of older Marvel comics but I recently subscribed to Unlimited. I could use some suggestions of what to read. I'm open to pretty much anything but since I'd be using Unlimited actual issue numbers would be helpful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this! posted:

I've never really read a lot of older Marvel comics but I recently subscribed to Unlimited. I could use some suggestions of what to read. I'm open to pretty much anything but since I'd be using Unlimited actual issue numbers would be helpful.

The first 100ish issues of Fantastic Four

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

The first 100ish issues of Fantastic Four

Can't go wrong with this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Amazing Spider-man from issue 1 until you get bored.

Marvel Team-up, Marvel Two in One and Supervillain Team-up are also all great even when they're not.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think one of the obvious ones is Simonson's Thor

Thor #337-355, #357-369 & #371-382, Balder the Brave #1-4

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Roth posted:

I think one of the obvious ones is Simonson's Thor

Thor #337-355, #357-369 & #371-382, Balder the Brave #1-4

Yeah, that was how I started and it was the best choice. But early Spider Man is super good, too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Kree-Skrull War from Avengers #89–97.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Giant-Sized X-Men #1, Uncanny X-Men #94-whatever

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've just started Roger Stern's Spidey, and I'm very excited.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Kree-Skrull War from Avengers #89–97.

Oh right, I keep meaning to read that. And then the What If followup.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

joehonkie posted:

Oh right, I keep meaning to read that. And then the What If followup.

It's, like, the best.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

In various threads, I've seen lots of goon love for Quentin Quire. I have a MU subscription and a hard time making sense of the welter of X-series but would like to get a handle on the character. Can anybody recommend some QQ greatest hits?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Morrison's New X-Men run introduces Quire.

Jason Aaron's Schism and Wolverine and the X-Men follow through mostly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zombie Dachshund posted:

In various threads, I've seen lots of goon love for Quentin Quire. I have a MU subscription and a hard time making sense of the welter of X-series but would like to get a handle on the character. Can anybody recommend some QQ greatest hits?

New X-Men #114-154, Annual 2001 by Grant Morrison and Wolverine and the X-Men vol. 1 #1-42, Annual #1 by Jason Aaron (there's also the Battle of the Atom crossover in here, so you'll need some other things, but it's not a very good crossover, and you won't be missing much by skipping it)

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Cool, thanks!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Keep in mind that Quire doesn't really show up until New X-Men #134, but he becomes a fairly important part of the run at that point. It's all very connected though so you're best reading from the start.

I think the Annual slots in between #116 and #117.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is this worth a look? The cover is mighty nice and I do love Iron Fist....

https://www.amazon.ca/Iron-Fist-Living-Complete-Collection/dp/1302904493/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493828316&sr=8-1&keywords=iron+fist

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I personally gave up after six issues. It was just too depressing and not really fun for me. Others seemed to have enjoyed it.

How much are comics in Canada? Cause $40 for 12 issues seems like a rip off.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just checked the exchange rate and 40 bux Canadian works out to just over 20 of Her Majesty's pounds sterling, which is about what I'd expect a trade that size to retail at.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's 22 USD on Amazon, which is about what I'd expect

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Just checked the exchange rate and 40 bux Canadian works out to just over 20 of Her Majesty's pounds sterling, which is about what I'd expect a trade that size to retail at.

That's not how exchange rates work.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I'm sure this is the wrong thead but I couldn't find a better one; does anyone know what issue this is from? I remember reading it as a kid and was able to describe it to google well enough to pull this page, but I can't remember what it's from. GIS pulled this from the Marvel wiki which indicated it's from Web of Carnage, but I'm hoping somebody knows exactly what I can look up to read these issues again. I also remember Ben Reilly walking into a mall and finding a blue hoodie and ripping the sleeves and drawing the spider logo in sharpie to create his classic outfit? And maybe Peter fighting symbiotes in a sewer drain? Please help. Again, I know this is probably not the right thread but I would appreciate any assistance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's part of the confusing 90s crossover Planet of the Symbiotes, not to be confused with the Bendis storyline of the exact same name. Like a bunch of 90s crossovers it was spread across a bunch of different titles.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Having read everything from the Cosmic Marvel Reading Guide from 2004-2011, were any of the Guardians of the Galaxy team books or character spin-off books from 2014 to present any good?

I know Kitty Pride took over the team and Thing got involved and Star-Lord did his solo stuff, but never read any of it. Are any of them good?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Rocket books were good up until I stopped reading them (when Young stopped writing). The Groot book was amazing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zdarsky's Star-Lord was good, and I'm looking forward to the new Rocket series.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/16165...hVZL&ref=plSrch

Is this good? Seems like it should be. Also how is Mignola's non-Hellboy Dark Horse stuff like Lobster Johnson and Abe Sapien? And what is Welcome Home Mr.Higgins?

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/16165...hVZL&ref=plSrch

Is this good? Seems like it should be. Also how is Mignola's non-Hellboy Dark Horse stuff like Lobster Johnson and Abe Sapien? And what is Welcome Home Mr.Higgins?

Abe and Lobster are both good. If you like the BPRD then Abe should be up your alley. Lobster is fun if you like the sound of a 1930s pulp hero beating up cannibals, mobsters, cyborgs and giant robots with his team of adventurers.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Having read everything from the Cosmic Marvel Reading Guide from 2004-2011, were any of the Guardians of the Galaxy team books or character spin-off books from 2014 to present any good?

I know Kitty Pride took over the team and Thing got involved and Star-Lord did his solo stuff, but never read any of it. Are any of them good?

It was pretty good up to the point where cw2 somehow necessitated the team going to earth so Carol could bitch and moan for an entire issue while everyone else sat on their hands. Then for some reason, they were stuck on earth after, or some such horseshit. Clowns @ marvel had to poo poo up the cosmic books along with the rest of the books. I might start buying the book again, once I see in marvel unlimited that they have returned to space, but I'll be damned if they're going to scam me out of full price for their book before then.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

B33rChiller posted:

It was pretty good up to the point where cw2 somehow necessitated the team going to earth so Carol could bitch and moan for an entire issue while everyone else sat on their hands. Then for some reason, they were stuck on earth after, or some such horseshit. Clowns @ marvel had to poo poo up the cosmic books along with the rest of the books. I might start buying the book again, once I see in marvel unlimited that they have returned to space, but I'll be damned if they're going to scam me out of full price for their book before then.

Grounded gave us the best issues of Bendis' Guardians run which focused on single character stories and it gave us Zdarsky's Star-Lord series. So it was well worth it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Finally collected Geoff's three omnibuses for Green Lantern. Just wondering was there something else I needed to pick up before I jump in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

obi_ant posted:

Finally collected Geoff's three omnibuses for Green Lantern. Just wondering was there something else I needed to pick up before I jump in.

His jsa and flash which are so much better it's not even funny. I enjoyed green lantern but his flash and jsa are just amazing

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

bobkatt013 posted:

His jsa and flash which are so much better it's not even funny. I enjoyed green lantern but his flash and jsa are just amazing

I agree with this 100% and I'm a huge Hal Jordan/GL fan. I enjoyed his GL, but his JSA, Flash, and his run on Action Comics just blows everything else out of the water.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me about Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service? It sounds awesome but sometimes good premises can lead to mediocre books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

pubic works project posted:

I agree with this 100% and I'm a huge Hal Jordan/GL fan. I enjoyed his GL, but his JSA, Flash, and his run on Action Comics just blows everything else out of the water.

Johns' 12-issue Booster Gold run is as good as his best JSA and Flash work, and better than GL.