Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Scott Aukerman uses the same mysterious "Stop down" expression that the Hollywood Handbook boys say at 18:05 of this week's Comedy Bang Bang. I swear to god this phrase doesn't exist as an expression outside of Earwolf Studios and it's driving me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Was at the taping of the episode. Can assure you Scheer and Mantzoukas did not know at the beginning of the episode what was in the dumpster

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

feedmyleg posted:

Is there a single sketch show that isn't? Monty Python and Mr. Show are super uneven. Not that it's in their league.

Let me tell you about the second season of the Birthday Boys show.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Tacier posted:

Scott Aukerman uses the same mysterious "Stop down" expression that the Hollywood Handbook boys say at 18:05 of this week's Comedy Bang Bang. I swear to god this phrase doesn't exist as an expression outside of Earwolf Studios and it's driving me crazy.

It's a thing in photography, not sure about directing.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
In 50 years in Sketch Comedy College, if there's any justice in the world, will have a section on the fad progression of sketch comedy in the 2000s from tim and eric's deliberately ugly and obtuse style where the punchline is frequently how unpleasant or amateur looking a shot is, to it's inversion in Key and Peele, where glossy, high quality scenes are the norm but again, the punch line is often that a stupid thing is being done very well. Then the professor will begin the second class with the section on season two of the birthday boys, which will cover the other three months of class time. Since it's probably the greatest sketch show of all time.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Work Friend Keven posted:

In 50 years in Sketch Comedy College, if there's any justice in the world, will have a section on the fad progression of sketch comedy in the 2000s from tim and eric's deliberately ugly and obtuse style where the punchline is frequently how unpleasant or amateur looking a shot is, to it's inversion in Key and Peele, where glossy, high quality scenes are the norm but again, the punch line is often that a stupid thing is being done very well. Then the professor will begin the second class with the section on season two of the birthday boys, which will cover the other three months of class time. Since it's probably the greatest sketch show of all time.

Agreed about the Birthday Boys season two.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I love birthday boys but I can never think of a good sketch to send someone I think would be interested...so much of the appeal is in the vibe each episode builds

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
"book guy", "Woosh" and "Keeping the beat" are my favorite out of context sketches, though I think all are from season 1.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
the skeleton king is my favorite

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Starwars is good. Shows how much they commit to a dumb joke.

Ham Hat from Funny or Die is also great.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Greggy posted:

the skeleton king is my favorite

His origin story still gives me chills.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the milk in a mountain dew bottle sketch

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Feral Man.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Even though it's a movie trailer parody and so specific, I feel like Pooljumpers is a good litmus test. It's not like the rest of their sketches are aiming for a mainstream audience.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Cloks posted:

Starwars is good. Shows how much they commit to a dumb joke.

Ham Hat from Funny or Die is also great.

This is the key to the birthday boys... in their old funny or die stuff and the description of every sketch I've ever heard (and also the ones I saw live cough cough) they take a thin premise and just lean into it so so hard and dont even really heighten just keep hitting that note nonstop like a clear bell.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I also forgot about three problems in America ...that one is really good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the one where soldier homecoming surprise videos turn into a prank show is pretty mich a mr show sketch

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Woah, old comedy bang bang is back on iTunes. Have they finally given up on trying to sell a paywall as a feature

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tarranon posted:

Woah, old comedy bang bang is back on iTunes. Have they finally given up on trying to sell a paywall as a feature

I remember Scott saying the logic was 'it's too hard to get into a podcast when all of the episodes are available' lol

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Maybe he can finally stop spending 40 minutes going through the entire backstory of every single goddamn character now

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The paywall disappearing would be great, but the old episodes aren't currently showing up for me in the iTunes feed.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think I just watched book guy 3 times in a row.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

This is the key to the birthday boys... in their old funny or die stuff and the description of every sketch I've ever heard (and also the ones I saw live cough cough) they take a thin premise and just lean into it so so hard and dont even really heighten just keep hitting that note nonstop like a clear bell.

Sounds like every Mike Hanford appearance on a podcast, so that checks out.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Noticed that the "Shows" tab was looking a little sparse today. Katie Couric is no longer on Earwolf, and if you type in the old show URL it redirects to a standalone (Stitcher-branded) site. Meanwhile Denzel Washington has ended studio episodes and will only return for live stuff, and that Hamilton show has, shockingly, already run out of steam. The most recent episode description says they're going on a "break," but it has also been removed from the thumbnail list.

Also those Sharpies that Engineer Cody took a leak on are sold out.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I once had the Goldhoff and Steinstein song stuck in my head and I couldn't remember where it was from.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how do you freshy's is probably my favorite episode

i bought the dvd for season 2 just so i could listen to the audio commentaries, the origin of the star wars sketch is funny because it came from some anime they were watching where in the dub the guy said "bastard" funny

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

how do you freshy's is probably my favorite episode

i bought the dvd for season 2 just so i could listen to the audio commentaries, the origin of the star wars sketch is funny because it came from some anime they were watching where in the dub the guy said "bastard" funny

Lmao. drat I need to get the Birthday Boys DVDs

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm warming to Hollywood Handbook.

For any cred, I have met Seth Godin. I've been in his house.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Oh, so that's why Jessica St. Clair wasn't on podcasts for a while http://www.standup2cancer.org/blog/view/actress_jessica_st_claire_opens_up_about_her_breast_cancer_diagnosis

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Well gently caress. That sucks.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

gently caress

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

She's good tho, I'm not sure how clear that is in the article itself

https://twitter.com/Jessica_StClair/status/862080050312527872

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Tatumje posted:

The paywall disappearing would be great, but the old episodes aren't currently showing up for me in the iTunes feed.

That's so crazy. I noticed they were up because I was searching for Heidecker and I noticed all his old CBB appearances were showing up in the list, but today they're gone again. Must have been some glitch. Or a very boring dream.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Tarranon posted:

That's so crazy. I noticed they were up because I was searching for Heidecker and I noticed all his old CBB appearances were showing up in the list, but today they're gone again. Must have been some glitch. Or a very boring dream.
How Did This Get Made swaps around which episodes are available through the paywall as a loophole to get around it. Mabe CBB did something similar with some promo on a forum/website somewhere.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Sean bringing up "Ricky and Ronny trying to do Peripheral Vision Man as a sitcom" made me realize just how badly I want to hear an entire episode of Hollywood Handbook talking about Studio 60. They would undoubtedly treat it with the reverence it deserves as the most pure and accurate depiction of showbiz and comedy writing ever made.

"Did you guys see that sad episode of The Man Show the other night? It gets VERY POLITICAL."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 10, 2017

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That man show bit killed me.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Big Grande on I4H today :woop:

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
In case you're wondering what artist they're talking about in the latest I4H.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154258777345796&id=73869905795

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What was Besser referencing when Brett replied "No comment"? Sklars leaving Earwolf? Auckerman? Besser getting a new show? Or did he leak something early and we don't know yet?

e: Reading that the Sklars have a new Feral show, so it's likely them.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

The Sklar brothers' new show has been out for a whike, it's called Dumb People Town. It's basically what Sklarbro County was on Earwolf. The show's pretty good, I recommend checking it out. The recent episode with Jon Hamm might be a good one to start with.