Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah at least we have legacy. Go Jordan!

The Legacy (and to a lesser extent the Modern) 1K's were a direct result of SCG ditching the west coast entirely though, so we traded a twice yearly large event for a series of smaller, monthly events.

I think it is actually a fair trade, as there is better food at both MBH locations than there would be at a convention center.

Tainen posted:

Gotta get on the Pauper. There was a big tournament last weekend in Seattle and there is another one in 2 weeks in Bellevue. I watched a bit of it on twitch and it looked pretty fun.

I did this on Saturday, I thought Bogles would be a fun deck to play. It is not a fun deck and I hated it.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

Man, no Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, or Indiana SCG events for the rest of the year? SAD!

At least there was one in that area this year. There aren't any in my whole loving timezone all year. What's so bad about Denver :(

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Apparently with the sealed leagues they're trying to get stores to do, they don't even have the foil token promo this time, just those dumb bolas horns D4s that everyone already has a couple of.

I mean, I get that they want to make it a casual thing where there isn't the incentive for people to stack their pools so that there doesn't have to be the hassle of decklists, but at least give people something for participating. I'm doing one just because it's fun to jam some sealed games every week, but you'd get a lot more people with even the most minimal effort to make some interesting participation prizes. The foil double-sided tokens were a cool idea, I thought. Or about dice with the sides labeled -1/-1, -2/-2, -3/-3 etc? That would actually be cool and useful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sickening, you were asking about Bant Company and the matchup vs Death's Shadow a little while back. After playing some games and doing some more research I can say pretty confidently that Death's Shadow is one of the reasons the deck is doing so well right now.

Bant Company is super good against it, we have blockers for weeks and replacing most of their Bolts with Tarfires means we have enormous game against their removal suite. Post board we bring in Reflector Mage and Finks and the matchup just gets worse for them.

As long as Death's Shadow is good and Bolt is "bad" the deck is a really good option right now.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Star Man posted:

At least there was one in that area this year. There aren't any in my whole loving timezone all year. What's so bad about Denver :(

Your travel ads rub how many days of sunshine you get in our faces.

Unfortunate that the Midwest is only getting a couple more and in Ohio to boot. Chicago(land) has a lotta successful stores with a lotta players but SCG doesn't quite reach here and Wizards/PastTimes doesn't seem eager to cough up that Rosemont cash very often.

Guess it could be worse as many goons were quick to point out. SCG and CFB just need to collaborate and blanket the country with tourneys idk

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Dope.

I'm going to a modern 5k at the end of the month. Bringing bant spirits, am stoked.

Bant Spirits is an awesome deck. It needs a few more 2 drops, though. I've actually been trying out some of the hateful spirits in the 2 drop slot, maindeck, like Kataki, and it hasn't been too bad. I like it better than running Phantasmal Image anyway. I saw a list where someone ran 2 of the original Thalia main, I want to try that also.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cactrot posted:

I did this on Saturday, I thought Bogles would be a fun deck to play. It is not a fun deck and I hated it.

Why would you think Bogles would be fun to play? It's the least fun deck in Modern, and it's not like it gets anything more fun from Pauper.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

Unfortunate that the Midwest is only getting a couple more and in Ohio to boot. Chicago(land) has a lotta successful stores with a lotta players but SCG doesn't quite reach here and Wizards/PastTimes doesn't seem eager to cough up that Rosemont cash very often.

Guess it could be worse as many goons were quick to point out. SCG and CFB just need to collaborate and blanket the country with tourneys idk

chicago makes more sense to me then friggin' ohio, who the gently caress wants to go there for anything

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

chicago makes more sense to me then friggin' ohio, who the gently caress wants to go there for anything

I think Cedric Phillips has a little to do with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sickening, you were asking about Bant Company and the matchup vs Death's Shadow a little while back. After playing some games and doing some more research I can say pretty confidently that Death's Shadow is one of the reasons the deck is doing so well right now.

Bant Company is super good against it, we have blockers for weeks and replacing most of their Bolts with Tarfires means we have enormous game against their removal suite. Post board we bring in Reflector Mage and Finks and the matchup just gets worse for them.

As long as Death's Shadow is good and Bolt is "bad" the deck is a really good option right now.

I honestly haven't played that much modern lately and its not a popular deck in my area. I have it sleeved up though. It feels like a generic g/w/x goodstuff deck, which isn't necessarily bad ever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

oh man getting scg to pay for him to visit home twice a year is a good racket, if true

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pontius Pilate posted:

poo poo, I can't even go to the Grand Prix in Denver this August because the solar eclipse is the Monday after and my hometown in Wyoming is right along the path of totality. And I'd much rather watch that than spend $90 and ~300 worth of fuel each way to go 0-2 in Standard.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Won't CFB being the TO for all grand prixs in the future mean there will probably be more large events on the West coast?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hellsau posted:

Why would you think Bogles would be fun to play? It's the least fun deck in Modern, and it's not like it gets anything more fun from Pauper.

I'd never played the deck in any format, but attacking with large dumb creatures seemed like fun, and it was cheap and simple. I made a grave error on how enjoyable it would actually be to play though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is BG energy any good in standard?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Won't CFB being the TO for all grand prixs in the future mean there will probably be more large events on the West coast?

well WOTC is centered in Seattle and I don't think there's a huge amount of Pro Tours there or anything

I guess we won't know until they release a schedule

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cactrot posted:

I'd never played the deck in any format, but attacking with large dumb creatures seemed like fun, and it was cheap and simple. I made a grave error on how enjoyable it would actually be to play though.

Do you have green and white mana, a hexproof creature, a payoff card and a way to give trample, and possibly edict protection? If so, congratulations you win! Don't have a creature in the opener? Mulligan! Don't see a payoff card in the top ~10 cards? You lose! Don't find a trample source in the top ~15 cards? You're going to get chump blocked until the enemy finds an edict or whatever, you lose! There will be between zero and one decision you need to make in any particular game. Have fun with your tournament!

Hexproof is a terrible mechanic.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

both scg events and gps avoid major us cities for what i assume are financial reasons

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cactrot posted:

if its any consolation, your opponents had even less fun than you did

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Costs for Ohio are a lot less than they would be for anything in the Chicago area.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

What do you mean you don't like 7/8 hexproof fliers in draft?

Seriously though hexproof was a mistake. If only it was "Hexproof X" where X was a generic Mana cost to target it, ala Frost Titan.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone enlighten me: was Troll Ascetic a mother fucker of a card to be up against when it was in Standard?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

little munchkin posted:

if its any consolation, your opponents had even less fun than you did

Most fun of the day was actually after dropping from the tournament and picking up a few of the Card Kingdom Battle Decks. A friend and I each picked a random Battle Deck, shuffled them up and played them without looking at any of the cards in them. They're well balanced against each other and a blast to play with.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Star Man posted:

Someone enlighten me: was Troll Ascetic a mother fucker of a card to be up against when it was in Standard?

Not really, because it was in Standard with Affinity, so it didn't really get the limelight until way later.

That said, Troll was really annoying with Blanchwood Armor and Swords and Jitte.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Star Man posted:

Troll Ascetic, meh, but Geist of St Traft and Invisible Stalker were two of the most miserable cards I've ever played against in standard, and those were the days when we had 4-mana wraths and my Phantasmal Image could kill your Geist

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I don't understand why they would gently caress up a balanced mechanic like shroud.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

there's like 2 in ohio that's not a big drive

course i drove halfway across the us within 2 days so i might not be the best judge

None of us want to drive to Ohio, all of us from the states around Ohio only travel there for Cedar Point, no exceptions!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cactrot posted:

I feel like bogles is the kind of deck that's fun to play one, maybe two rounds with. Like you could borrow it or spend a little to finish it and play an fnm until you get bored.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sickening posted:

I don't understand why they would gently caress up a balanced mechanic like shroud.

"Wait, why can't I put my stuff on my creatures?"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Sickening posted:

I believe MaRo said that they created Hexproof because it was how everyone was already playing Shroud.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Seriously though hexproof was a mistake. If only it was "Hexproof X" where X was a generic Mana cost to target it, ala Frost Titan.

That's actually quite a good idea.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

They've scaled back hexproof pretty significantly since they introduced it as a keyword, it's mostly used as a temporary effect now and only on like 6+ CMC creatures if it's permanent.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Last Friday at FNM I taught two Modern players that "can not be countered" doesn't mean "can not be targeted by spells". It amazes me that people play the more complex formats and don't understand how their cards interact.

Second guy looked super salty when I Remanded his Supreme Verdict to flip Thing to bounce my snaps and dark-dwellers back to hand, and draw a card.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tainen posted:

Gotta get on the Pauper. There was a big tournament last weekend in Seattle and there is another one in 2 weeks in Bellevue. I watched a bit of it on twitch and it looked pretty fun.

What twitch channel was this on? I'd be interested in watching some live pauper.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Apparently with the sealed leagues they're trying to get stores to do, they don't even have the foil token promo this time, just those dumb bolas horns D4s that everyone already has a couple of.

I mean, I get that they want to make it a casual thing where there isn't the incentive for people to stack their pools so that there doesn't have to be the hassle of decklists, but at least give people something for participating. I'm doing one just because it's fun to jam some sealed games every week, but you'd get a lot more people with even the most minimal effort to make some interesting participation prizes. The foil double-sided tokens were a cool idea, I thought. Or about dice with the sides labeled -1/-1, -2/-2, -3/-3 etc? That would actually be cool and useful.

The d4s sound cool, I haven't seen one in person yet. Everyone has fun with the league at my store. We gave out prizes to the top two with the most wins, the top two with the most games played, and two randoms who didn't win either of those prizes. I'm looking to do something like "play at least five games per week and get entered into a raffle" type of thing, because there are four people who seek out league players every week to grind out as many games as they can, and the people who can't reliably get to the store every Magic night are getting discouraged because there's no way for them to catch up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TwistedNails posted:

None of us want to drive to Ohio, all of us from the states around Ohio only travel there for Cedar Point, no exceptions!

the last time i drove through ohio when i stopped to get gas i saw an old man wearing socks and sandals buying a 24 pack of high life and a frozen skyline chili spaghetti thing

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

rabidsquid posted:

the last time i drove through ohio when i stopped to get gas i saw an old man wearing socks and sandals buying a 24 pack of high life and a frozen skyline chili spaghetti thing

Don't post about me without my express opinion.

(I actually do have frozen skyline in my freezer tho)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Remember how earlier in the thread someone was saying that everything WotC does makes perfect sense if you realize that they make all their decisions with the stupidest people in mind?

Well they got rid of shroud because apparently some people thought they could target their creatures with shroud.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Star Man posted:

Not in Mirrodin/Onslaught standard because affinity, but in Mirrodin/Kamigawa it was a mother fucker because Jitte and to a lesser extend Sword of Fire and Ice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
A basic literacy test should be mandatory before every round of magic played IMO