Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I always found Persona 3 and 4 to be slightly harder than average compared to similar RPG's. Not super hard, but they were more dependent on using buffs/debuffs and exploiting weaknesses. Most of the JRPG's I grew up with would pretty much let you muddle through with attacks and heals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been playing on Normal cause I'm getting older and actually wanna see the end of the game someday.

I'm taking a mini break to play Hitman. Also, I feel guilty playing Persona when I should be filling out job applications.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

J-Spot posted:

I always found Persona 3 and 4 to be slightly harder than average compared to similar RPG's. Not super hard, but they were more dependent on using buffs/debuffs and exploiting weaknesses. Most of the JRPG's I grew up with would pretty much let you muddle through with attacks and heals.

That's a good point, if you're used to mashing ATTACK, STRONG SPELL, HEAL when playing RPGS, smt games tend to knock you on your rear end for a bit til you realize that hey, you're supposed to actually engage the combat system and use every tool available to you

Golden Sun comes to mind as one of those games that commits the biggest sin a turn-based RPG can make: ATTACK will coast you through literally 99 percent of the game, you don't even have to heal very often in battle.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

the first dungeon of p5 is probably the hardest in any of 3-5

3 and 4 are very easy games from the start. just having free healing is a huge downgrade in difficulty

I admit I'm playing on normal but really I didn't have anything even approaching trouble on the first palace. Like, worst that happened war I ran out of magic and then I left for the day. Like, I'm not bragging. I just found the emphasis on being able to get easy first strikes made it so enemies could rarely even attack.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hard feels like average difficulty to me, easily trumped with a little grinding or setting up an ideal party/set of personas. I can't even begin to imagine how dull Normal must be.

I once accidentally set Etrian Odyssey on normal and literally nothing was a threat. What's even the point of playing there? At least Persona is story-driven enough that you're still getting something out of it.

But yeah Normal should effectively be regarded as Easy. That's why you didn't have anything approaching trouble in the first palace! In hard, knocking down enemies is pretty necessary to not die, they're still gonna likely survive your all-out-attack and retaliate, so they are still a threat even when targeting their weaknesses. Sometimes going with an all-out-attack is not even the wise choice to do, as the extra turn is more useful than x amount of almighty damage in certain cases.

Also, I'm finding that enemies without weaknesses NEED to be debilitated somehow, cuz they're a real bitch otherwise (especially when paired with other enemies).

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 8, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Any difficulty where getting ambushed isn't a hindrance, but probably a death sentence, isn't a difficulty I'm interested in. I have things to do and reloading saves is not one of them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I came here to kick rear end and reload saves, and I'm all outta slots

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Any difficulty where getting ambushed isn't a hindrance, but probably a death sentence, isn't a difficulty I'm interested in. I have things to do and reloading saves is not one of them.

yep ambushes are loving scary as poo poo on hard (unless you're slightly over leveled)

as they should be, you hosed up and let the enemy get the drop on you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I never play RPG's on Hard because I'm not looking for difficulty from them, I just want to make monsters explode and numbers go up.

The first Palace was still kind of a ballbreaker even on Normal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

I admit I'm playing on normal but really I didn't have anything even approaching trouble on the first palace. Like, worst that happened war I ran out of magic and then I left for the day. Like, I'm not bragging. I just found the emphasis on being able to get easy first strikes made it so enemies could rarely even attack.

running out of magic and having to leave wasn't a thing that could happen in persona 3 or 4

winning fights had a chance of giving you hp/sp back and there was a healing station in every dungeon that you could pay to full heal your party

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If you rush futaba's SL it becomes really hard to party wipe. She gets really op

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If you're in the market for a PS4 Pro, Tekken 7 is getting a Pro Bundle for some reason.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I recently got a 2tb portable drive for my PS4 and I'm having way more fun than I should just filling this fucker up with the vast amount of games I have in my library that I uninstalled for whatever reason over the years and then organizing them into folders.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Real hurthling! posted:

If you rush futaba's SL it becomes really hard to party wipe. She gets really op

Yeah, this goes for the whole party really. Once everyone is max it's almost impossible for enemies to kill joker

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah, this goes for the whole party really. Once everyone is max it's almost impossible for enemies to kill joker

Toss a ragda in you persona rotation for going against anything with dark, fire, or physical/gun and he's nearly immortal all by himself

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Guillermus posted:

Looks like it'll be a game to pick up on Steam for half the price during summer sale (or even bigger discount by the end of the year).

hey can you let me know where the good steam sales are since they added refunds, because i don't get them

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hey so I just noticed that Abzû is a PS+ game right now and you should definitely play it.

I definitely got my $15 worth of fun from it and then some when it came out last summer, but if you were on the fence there's no excuse now. Go and play this beautiful game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mad Hamish posted:

Hey so I just noticed that Abzû is a PS+ game right now and you should definitely play it.

I definitely got my $15 worth of fun from it and then some when it came out last summer, but if you were on the fence there's no excuse now. Go and play this beautiful game.

I played it last night and I liked it a lot. It only takes a couple hours too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HItman really feels like the modern successor to Goldeneye in a lot of respects. Big open sandboxy levels with a bunch of objectives/challenges you can tackle however you please. I'm absolutely sold on Season 2 when it's available.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Abzu was great at the whole Journey style adventure in an underwater environment, heck I preferred it to Journey but its a bit of a stretch for £15. You can see everything that game can offer in 75 minutes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't like it nearly as much as Journey but it was well worth my time. Definetly would have waited if I had known it was going to be a free game.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 9, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't like it nearly as much as Journey but it was well worth my time. Definetly would have waited if I had known it was going to be a free game.

Well I mean that goes without saying. Might not buy any games in case they become free or go on sale or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've bought like every good PS plus game, mostly at full price for the last 3 years I need to stop buying indie games...I guess I am supporting small devs so that's good but I think I have wasted hundreds on stuff that has gone free within months at this point. it's kind of frustrating as a PS plus subscriber.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My 3 year old loved playing through Abzu with me and still wants me to boot it up for him from time to time, so if you have kids it's a good game for lap gaming.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

veni veni veni posted:

I've bought like every good PS plus game, mostly at full price for the last 3 years I need to stop buying indie games...I guess I am supporting small devs so that's good but I think I have wasted hundreds on stuff that has gone free within months at this point. it's kind of frustrating as a PS plus subscriber.

Honestly I basically stopped claiming all the games as the majority I know I'll never play.

I'll only claim them now if it's something I'm interested in and is something that is easy to pickup for like 20 min at a time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'll claim them because it takes 30 seconds but a lot have never been downloaded.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I wait on any new singleplayer game that is priced at $20 or below, unless I'm incredibly hyped.

It's a good way to get on the right side of PS+

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Schpyder posted:

Is it bad that since I picked up both Gravity Rush games on the Golden Week sale they're literally all I want to play now? I just finished GRR last night and am already several hours into GR2 and they've got their hooks into me something fierce.

Yeah, it's bad to play games you like.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Schpyder posted:

Is it bad that since I picked up both Gravity Rush games on the Golden Week sale they're literally all I want to play now? I just finished GRR last night and am already several hours into GR2 and they've got their hooks into me something fierce.

I wish I had picked up the Remaster 'cause it'd be long enough since the first GR that a refresher to the setting would have been very nice.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm an idiot that buys games full price and the doesn't finish then for months and the one time I decide to wait for a price drop (Nioh) and its still full price over 3 months on!!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

hey can you let me know where the good steam sales are since they added refunds, because i don't get them

Steam sales still happen but then you can still buy on Greenmangaming, Humble Store and so. Just check Sheapshark for a game and it'll find where you can find it cheaper. All legal stuff. If you feel like throwing momey at shady sites... Well, you're on your own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Buying games you know you're going to like at full price, rather than waiting for a sale on a bunch of poo poo you'll probably never finish, indeed rules.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Buy game to play it. Don't buy game to have it. Good rule to stick with.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Buy game to play it. Don't buy game to have it. Good rule to stick with.
Personally I buy games so that they may age in my digital locker.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Many do not age well.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Akuma posted:

Personally I buy games so that they may age in my digital locker.

Pop the cork on that Sonic 2006 you've been saving, some rich tannins in that.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

You guys should try Paladins. It's so shameless, I swear it's actually developed by Gameloft. Really makes me appreciate how Overwatch feels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I shouldn't talk about buying games to not ever play them since I have over 800 steam games and around 200 in GOG. Not counting 8 years of xbox live and and... :smith:

At the other hand I stopped buying games on steam when I got my PS4 on xmas I'm beating a lot of games now. I may clear half of my backlog by 2025...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't buy games, I invest in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Whenever I need a new game, I look at my Amazon wishlist and buy whichever is cheapest