Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zo posted:

still it's probably a good thing overall if it helps rich people spend their money instead of endlessly hoarding cash like modern day smaugs

if this is the criteria there's no such thing as bad with money because spending money is then an inherent good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if this is the criteria there's no such thing as bad with money because spending money is then an inherent good

yeah, it turns out, actually, that when rich people spend within their means, it's not bwm even if it's expensive and stupid

good job you figured it out

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Scudworth posted:

It's a spin bike, not a stationary bike or a regular form of exercise bike. The mid-range ones cost $899+, and the high end ones cost 2k even without a screen.
That is a normal price for a really good spin bike with the benefit of not having to hook your tablet up to it to watch Netflix during a workout as people often do.
Yes, a regular lovely exercise bike can cost 200-400 as you said before but that's not what a spin bike is.

I'm legitimately curious what the difference is. They're both stationary bike-shaped things you pedal right?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What does it mean to be "financially responsible but not have the credit for a mortgage", those things seem to come closely hand in hand

Someone could be very responsible but if they don't use credit cards or take out loans, they may not have a good enough score for a mortgage. I didn't get my first credit card until my late 20s because my parents had to file bankruptcy due to CC debt, and that convinced me that credit cards were evil.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm legitimately curious what the difference is. They're both stationary bike-shaped things you pedal right?

Spin bikes have a flywheel which is directly linked to the pedals, if you stop pedaling the momentum of the flywheel keeps it going, while a stationary bike tends to have a free wheel which will keep spinning on it's own, but won't continue moving the pedals. They also tend to have better/easier adjustments for things like resistance (since when you're using spin bikes, you tend to modulate the resistance regularly throughout a session). The real main difference though is that a spin bike is designed to feel more like an actual bike that you'd be out riding with. That means that it's shaped differently so that you sit leaning forward more, it's built better to handle the fact that you're going to get up out of the seat and "climb" a "hill" or to do a sprint (e.g. pedal while standing up on the pedals) to work out different muscle groups. They also tend to use *some* of the pieces of real bikes (a big one is pedals, it's common to have pedals that use a SPD or Look Delta cleat system that clips specially made shoes onto the bike pedals, allowing a better transfer of power from your body to the bike, and allowing a harder workout to be achieved without sacrificing safety).

A typical stationary bike tends to have a more comfortable seat, is less "heavy" (important when you're out of the seat), and is just generally designed to be used by sitting on the seat, setting a resistance beforehand (or stopping and adjusting it then starting back up again) and just pedaling while sitting there the entire time whereas a spin bike more accurately reflects actual biking through varying terrains.

Comrade Gritty fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 8, 2017

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Ever heard about the Toronto-area's bubble real estate market? Yes? Okay. So then you know that the average detached dwelling is selling for ~$1.2 million.

Now, there are meet-ups happening in the city whereas strangers are meeting up with each other in "speed-dating" style to find co-owning partners.

quote:

A marketing manager with a real estate startup, Michels is a renter with a roommate. He would like to buy a home in the Roncesvalles area and he’s happy to share the laundry and the yard, but wants his own kitchen.

“I think it would be fun to own a house with someone who would walk my dog once in a while and I’ll even babysit their kid once in a while,” he says.

Did I mention that these events are organized by real estate agents? What could possibly go wrong with signing onto a ~$1.2 million real estate purchase with a complete stranger?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Spin bikes have a flywheel which is directly linked to the pedals, if you stop pedaling the momentum of the flywheel keeps it going, while a stationary bike tends to have a free wheel which will keep spinning on it's own, but won't continue moving the pedals. They also tend to have better/easier adjustments for things like resistance (since when you're using spin bikes, you tend to modulate the resistance regularly throughout a session). The real main difference though is that a spin bike is designed to feel more like an actual bike that you'd be out riding with. That means that it's shaped differently so that you sit leaning forward more, it's built better to handle the fact that you're going to get up out of the seat and "climb" a "hill" or to do a sprint (e.g. pedal while standing up on the pedals) to work out different muscle groups. They also tend to use *some* of the pieces of real bikes (a big one is pedals, it's common to have pedals that use a SPD or Look Delta cleat system that clips specially made shoes onto the bike pedals, allowing a better transfer of power from your body to the bike, and allowing a harder workout to be achieved without sacrificing safety).

A typical stationary bike tends to have a more comfortable seat, is less "heavy" (important when you're out of the seat), and is just generally designed to be used by sitting on the seat, setting a resistance beforehand (or stopping and adjusting it then starting back up again) and just pedaling while sitting there the entire time whereas a spin bike more accurately reflects actual biking through varying terrains.

Huh thanks, I always just thought those were different "features" on a regular stationary bike when I've used em' at the gym.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

quote:

nuttydave127 3 points 1 day ago
Why can't you keep it?
The market is only heating up hang on for a few months and you can probably make a few grand atleast and walk away ahead sir !

up Up UP!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What does it mean to be "financially responsible but not have the credit for a mortgage", those things seem to come closely hand in hand

Probably the same as this 27 year old guy - an average guy with an average knowledge of money. Unfortunately for them, the venn diagram between 'average with money' and BWM has a lot of overlap.

quote:

I had been pre approved for a $4,500 credit limit increase, but I was too scared to approve it. I'm literally terrified to use my card at this point. Anyway, ignorant me was like, "Well, if it's good for my credit, I guess I'll do it." Now my credit limit is $10,000 and I feel like I have a huge pit in my stomach. I'm not worried about being tempted to go on a shopping spree; despite my credit card debt, I'm generally quite frugal - I've had this credit card since I was about 20 and basically just lost control at keeping up with paying it off somewhere along the way.

In yet another way the old world bloodlines are establishing their superiority over our mongoloid north american heritage, the Finnish have invented a better horse derby by culling and hopefully eating the weakest link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAY-ZskKiXA

:perfect:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

Probably the same as this 27 year old guy - an average guy with an average knowledge of money. Unfortunately for them, the venn diagram between 'average with money' and BWM has a lot of overlap.

In yet another way the old world bloodlines are establishing their superiority over our mongoloid north american heritage, the Finnish have invented a better horse derby by culling and hopefully eating the weakest link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAY-ZskKiXA

:perfect:

That one girl with the red hair and choker has a cute look, I wish I had that cute look I like that cute look :sigh:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

When faced with the cycling MMO of peloton and the reality of wanting to watch something while being bored witless on a stationary trainer, cheapness made me clip the phone case to the sweat thingy on the bike and watch youtubes of dudes fixing cars every other day. I find the cycling community can be super cliquish and will actively ostracize you if you show up on a bike far cheaper than theirs. A group of dudes riding Cervelos and Pinarellos, all clad in Rapha, will look down on the dude riding a nice Specialized, regardless of skill level.

Rapha is bad with money, just peruse their poo poo. http://www.rapha.cc/ca/en, It's like the J. Peterman catalog of spandex.

Cervelo and Pinarello can get seriously expensive and their frames are still made in the far east where the cheapies are made, likely in the same factory http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/.. I mean poo poo, you can buy dongguans on ebay that look like unpainted pinarellos.

Roadies can be real bad with money, especially with the whole weight weenie arms race some of them get in to.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zo posted:

yeah, it turns out, actually, that when rich people spend within their means, it's not bwm even if it's expensive and stupid

good job you figured it out

Lol this isn't true at all. Spending more than you can afford is but one of the forms of Bad With Money.

The four pillars of BWM are
1. Spending beyond your means
2. Expensive and/or stupid
3. Family money matters
4. Horse weddings paid with truck equity

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

ohgodwhat posted:

When people talk about themselves in this thread, it leads exactly to those lovely discussions about whether or not someone's hobby horse is BWM, which was just awful.

Hobby Horses don't seem that bad for money. The vet bills are really low, and it seems like good exercise if you don't mind looking like a total idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2IegXZ0NkM

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Staryberry posted:

Hobby Horses don't seem that bad for money. The vet bills are really low, and it seems like good exercise if you don't mind looking like a total idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2IegXZ0NkM

YO these girls have this poo poo on lockdown! They are in all kinds of crazy publicity and it's like the same 8 Finnish girls and they're all friends with one another and I bet they secretly own stock in a hobbyhorse company or something just wait til it goes viral, poo poo's going to be SUPER good with money!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

4. Horse weddings paid with truck equity

Taking out a second truck mortgage to pay for the horse-boat that runs on oats and housing tech bubbles.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

BloodBag posted:

When faced with the cycling MMO of peloton and the reality of wanting to watch something while being bored witless on a stationary trainer, cheapness made me clip the phone case to the sweat thingy on the bike and watch youtubes of dudes fixing cars every other day. I find the cycling community can be super cliquish and will actively ostracize you if you show up on a bike far cheaper than theirs. A group of dudes riding Cervelos and Pinarellos, all clad in Rapha, will look down on the dude riding a nice Specialized, regardless of skill level.

Rapha is bad with money, just peruse their poo poo. http://www.rapha.cc/ca/en, It's like the J. Peterman catalog of spandex.

Cervelo and Pinarello can get seriously expensive and their frames are still made in the far east where the cheapies are made, likely in the same factory http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/.. I mean poo poo, you can buy dongguans on ebay that look like unpainted pinarellos.

Roadies can be real bad with money, especially with the whole weight weenie arms race some of them get in to.

I'm the full beard with the product advertised to reduce wind resistance.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Proposition Castle posted:

I'm the full beard with the product advertised to reduce wind resistance.

I always thought that was funny, when the cycling world was abuzz with a new helmet design that's 30 grams lighter than last year's.
And the male pro cyclers have a ponytail coming out the back of it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Not a Children posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/regan-long/the-brutal-truth-about-those-pyramid-schemes_b_10602586.html

"Help your friends with their MLMs because all employment is demanding when you think about it"

lol my brother's wife is in on one of these and it's literally called "It Works"

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Noctone posted:

lol my brother's wife is in on one of these and it's literally called "It Works"

Gonna go out on a limb and say she's overweight.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I always thought that was funny, when the cycling world was abuzz with a new helmet design that's 30 grams lighter than last year's.
And the male pro cyclers have a ponytail coming out the back of it.

The only moral wind resistance is my wind resistance :colbert:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Ironically, no, she's tiny as hell.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The irony is that she's unemployed

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Pretty sure she does it on the side of whatever her real job is but that's neither here nor there.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I had to unfollow someone on Facebook because of "Plexus" spam

My mother-in-law got sucked in to "It Works", but only ("only") buying some of it, not selling.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

My wife bought some LuLaRoe pants but they cute.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My wife has 3 friends that all run in the same group of moms that all sell LuLaRoe.

I can't wait for this stupid fad to die.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

My wife has 3 friends that all run in the same group of moms that all sell LuLaRoe.

I can't wait for this stupid fad to die.

That's the best part of all this poo poo. The ones that get sucked into selling it are the ones that get sucked into buying poo poo from everyone else. It's they're just trading LuLaRoe leggings for ItWorks! wraps, and Scentsy candles for Shakeology packs.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My mom sells Rodan and Fields or something like that but as far as I can tell she's managed to self-limit it to not become an all-consuming hell like a lot of MLM bullshit and generally just uses it as an excuse to get all the ladies together to drink wine and giggle :shrug:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'd say 50% of my wife's friends do some MLM crap.

I've been abrasive enough that they don't ask to hold parties at our house any more and my wife knows that any of her "support" for them comes out of the budget and she can get more bang for her buck just about anywhere else.

I just hate MLM so god damned much. If it was a good product, you wouldn't have to sell it in such a lovely manner.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

My mom sells Rodan and Fields or something like that but as far as I can tell she's managed to self-limit it to not become an all-consuming hell like a lot of MLM bullshit and generally just uses it as an excuse to get all the ladies together to drink wine and giggle :shrug:

So what you're saying is... if I somehow invent an MLM that sells books for book clubs I'll be rich?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

So what you're saying is... if I somehow invent an MLM that sells books for book clubs I'll be rich?

This sounds like something that would already exist...

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

This sounds like something that would already exist...

Not the same but didn't there used to be companies that did "Columbia House, but for Books"?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Yeah it was called "Random House" and they would just send - get this - a RANDOM book to your HOUSE

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

Not the same but didn't there used to be companies that did "Columbia House, but for Books"?

Yes and they would send you like 3 hardcover books a month at list price plus shipping unless you called and waited on hold and complained enough to cancel

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah it was called "Random House" and they would just send - get this - a RANDOM book to your HOUSE

No, they sent a specific BOOK but they sent it to a random HOUSE

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

At least half of my friends' wives are doing Rodan and Fields. I've quit hanging out with some of my friends because their wives turn every interaction into a pitch.

Edit: their acne "regimen" is sulfur, witch hazel, benzoyl peroxide, and a hypoallergenic moisturizer. Marked up 1000%

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 8, 2017

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Yes and they would send you like 3 hardcover books a month at list price plus shipping unless you called and waited on hold and complained enough to cancel

Yeah thought so.

Content:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

what a dummy

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The social network sales that rely on emotional blackmail are the worst. I've been above the fray on it but man it's all in such bad taste. It's like kids going door-to-door selling overpriced catalog items, except grown-ups are doing it.

No Butt Stuff posted:

what a dummy degenerate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I intentionally drift away from people who are all into Beachbody coaching. It's literally asking your friends to pay you to be their friend.