Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flakeloaf posted:

i'm still amazed that you can hand an ipad to a three year old who gives less of a gently caress about your $1200 than she does about your deferential attitude to parenting and she'll have bubble guppies on there in ten minutes, maybe fifteen if you don't have a netflix account. she'll just push all the buttons with no fear of breaking the thing and when she's done she'll know what they all do

that to me is a sign that you've won the ui wars

uh, the exact same method of flailing wildly works on any tablet??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

with a nonzero chance of actually breaking the android, sure

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flakeloaf posted:

with a nonzero chance of actually breaking the android, sure

an ios device is inherently broken.

also lol what do you even mean break it. at worst they'll turn it off by accident.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

*at best

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

and not by accident

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pierogi posted:

*at best

Sorry you're mad about Apple being trash

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
hahahaha "there isn't a labeled back button no one told me to swipe right or double tap home bloo bloo bloo"

these are the same people who like the mouse gestures in opera like give me a break lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mightaswell posted:

hahahaha "there isn't a labeled back button no one told me to swipe right or double tap home bloo bloo bloo"

these are the same people who like the mouse gestures in opera like give me a break lmao

opera's market share has always been sub-10%, statistically nobody liked mouse gestures.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

and statistically people really like apple stuff so yeah

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mightaswell posted:

i never understood the confusion over not having a dedicated back button

the back button is in the same place, top left, whenever it makes sense to have a back button. this is preserved through interface guidelines and the app review process, but because there isn't a technical solution to force a back button to always be visible regardless of if it makes sense, it breaks the techies' brains somehow

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mightaswell posted:

and statistically people really like apple stuff so yeah

Hmm, less than 9 percent of computers, less than 20 percent of phones and less than 25 percent of tablets.

Nope, looks like people don't actually like Apple stuff. Statistically they hate 'em.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fishmech posted:

Hmm, less than 9 percent of computers, less than 20 percent of phones and less than 25 percent of tablets.

Nope, looks like people don't actually like Apple stuff. Statistically they hate 'em.

statistically, they can't afford them

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

carry on then posted:

statistically, they can't afford them

agreed, all Apple products since December 1992 have been massively overpriced garbage for people with more money than sense

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
aaaanyway, how about a third mobile os from google, fuchsia: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/googles-fuchsia-smartphone-os-dumps-linux-has-a-wild-new-ui/

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

is google even pretending to not be the new microsoft anymore

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

normally I laugh anytime I hear someone writing their own kernel, but honestly the state of the art is moving away from mono kernels like linux and this might actually be a good thing. google will probably gently caress it up though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

modern phones and modern personal computers with fast processors, non-trivial amounts of RAM 

So it's bloated as gently caress and unoptimized

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol even google is giving up on anroid

this is just the first step towards anroid being taken upstate to a farm where it can play all day

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blue Train posted:

modern phones and modern personal computers with fast processors, non-trivial amounts of RAM 

So it's bloated as gently caress and unoptimized

the developers were upset at having to optimize for cheap phones targeted at poor people.

my money is on this being positioned as a "premium" os for "premium" devices, with android being relegated to the masses

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

finally the ad-based os kernel i've always wanted!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

google breathlessly pursuing the "phone gay, so what" market

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Google fucksya

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

it uses a new, Google-developed microkernel called "Magenta."

:aatrek:

quote:

Nothing really "works"—it's all a bunch of placeholder interfaces that don't do anything.

i thought it was supposed to be different

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

duTrieux. posted:

the developers were upset at having to optimize for cheap phones targeted at poor people.

my money is on this being positioned as a "premium" os for "premium" devices, with android being relegated to the masses

my money is on it being yet another proposed replacement like chrome OS phones that goes nowhere

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

flakeloaf posted:

i thought it was supposed to be different
sensible-chuckle.flv

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
normal users don't need to know how to double-tap home to get to the program switcher on your apple device because on ios multitasking works to the point where you don't need to forcequit apps or risk one of them mysteriously consuming your battery, unlike on android devices. i know that to an android user that might seem like an impossibility but it's the truth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol that's wrong as gently caress. you have to kill apps in ios all the time cause ios devices have no ram. normal people just deal with poo poo not working instead of figuring out how to kill stuff.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i have never felt the need to force quit apps to free up ram not even on the iphone 4

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

anthonypants posted:

normal users don't need to know how to double-tap home to get to the program switcher on your apple device because on ios multitasking works to the point where you don't need to forcequit apps or risk one of them mysteriously consuming your battery, unlike on android devices. i know that to an android user that might seem like an impossibility but it's the truth

What if you want to go to another app? Go to the home screen and run it from there? Because that's garbage

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Blue Train posted:

What if you want to go to another app? Go to the home screen and run it from there? Because that's garbage

it literally says in the post you quoted that you jsut double-tap the home button

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

it literally says in the post you quoted that you jsut double-tap the home button

And he also says that people don't know it so I'm asking about the alternative

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

THC posted:

i have never felt the need to force quit apps to free up ram not even on the iphone 4

yeah but opening up a browser and then going back to what you were doing to find the app reloading itself from scratch is not great

but you still have an image of how your app last looked in double-tap mode!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Blue Train posted:

it's reasonable to do it that way because on ios when you click on an app it just opens. again, this probably sounds like an overexaggeration to someone who's only ever used android, but i promise it isn't

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

I had to do it all the time on iphone 4s.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

fishmech posted:

my money is on it being yet another proposed replacement like chrome OS phones that goes nowhere

well of course it is, because it's easy to do 80% of an os

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

force-quitting apps on ios hurts battery life

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

i've only had to force quit buggy apps, nothing to do with ios. and that was only to use them again, not because they were hosing the rest of the system.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

syscall girl posted:

yeah but opening up a browser and then going back to what you were doing to find the app reloading itself from scratch is not great

but you still have an image of how your app last looked in double-tap mode!

whether or not you micromanage and force quit your apps has no impact on this afaik

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the os has a memory manager so you don't need to be one. stop janitoring your phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

whether or not you micromanage and force quit your apps has no impact on this afaik

it absolutely does cause the ios memory manager doesn't work well

• Locked thread