Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jukebox Hero posted:

You know that joke wasn't funny the last time you made it right

System Shock 1/2 was creepy as gently caress in it's weird low-res silent enemy way and Bioshock was at least as much of a horror game as Dead Space

But don't drive too fast or you'll have a heart attack!

I never disputed System Shock being spooky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Horror is subjective. Quit being a douche.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I heard people sometimes make jokes on this site

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Skyscraper posted:

I heard people sometimes make jokes on this site

Yeah, the last couple pages on this thread have been the biggest jokes

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 8, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bogart posted:

Horror is subjective. Quit being a douche.

Guess people can't express opinions online because I made some jokes that didn't land

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Carebearz posted:

Yeah, the last couple pages on this thread have been the biggest jokes

:v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Improbable Lobster posted:

Guess people can't express opinions online because I made some jokes that didn't land

See, but like. You didn't make jokes. You made one joke, three times, which wasn't received well the first time.

Prey is good. It's more tense, due to player vulnerability and the juxtaposition of familiar/foreign throughout Talos 1, than out-and-out horror. I've had one good freaky jumpscare so far, but the atmosphere of everything going to poo poo feels real. It's one thing to say 'hey the Typhon have broken containment, like, last night,' and it's another for the hub area to get more and more hostile as you get further into the game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bogart posted:

See, but like. You didn't make jokes. You made one joke, three times, which wasn't received well the first time.

Sorry but humour is subjective and thus you should not post

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

If you were scared at any point during Bioshock you should be careful to not stand up too fast or eat too quickly, otherwise your heart might give out.

Bioshock is ideological/philosophical/social horror. And pretty much everything about the world it builds truly is horrifying, on multiple levels. It's not a "scary" game, but it is definitely a horrific one.

Also Prey sounds like someone decided "You know what would be great? System Shock, but based on that Garry's Mod game mode... what's it called? Prop hunt? Yeah, that."

Because listening to you guys describe it sounds exactly like a description of Prop Hunt. (which is an incredibly fun game in its own right)

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Bogart posted:

Prey is good. It's more tense, due to player vulnerability and the juxtaposition of familiar/foreign throughout Talos 1, than out-and-out horror. I've had one good freaky jumpscare so far, but the atmosphere of everything going to poo poo feels real. It's one thing to say 'hey the Typhon have broken containment, like, last night,' and it's another for the hub area to get more and more hostile as you get further into the game.

Sorry but humour is subjective and thus you should not post

Stuff like this is why this thread has been a huge joke.

someone goes "man, this game personally freak me out because xyz"
next person goes "well probably because you're a huge pussy, this didn't scare me because xyz"

then you two have some sort of sad nerd dick waving contest and both look loving retarded.

more posts about horror games plz

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Carebearz posted:

Stuff like this is why this thread has been a huge joke.

someone goes "man, this game personally freak me out because xyz"
next person goes "well probably because you're a huge pussy, this didn't scare me because xyz"

then you two have some sort of sad nerd dick waving contest and both look loving retarded.

more posts about horror games plz

It's really hosed up that a thread on the Something Awful Dot Com Comedy Forums is a joke

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I played through quite a bit of Oxenfree thanks to this thread many months back and I loooove it. Any other games on that level of scary/creepy to recommend?

I have Night in the Woods but haven't gotten far yet. Pretty sure it gets creepy after a while.

For reference:
Have Limbo and Inside. Finished Limbo, haven't gotten around to Inside but will.

Finished TWD season 1. Loved it, but also played it with sound off when I was anticipating jump scares. With my face away from the monitor. Tried season 2 chapter 1 at a friend's place and wasn't impressed so I stopped.

Finished Until Dawn with friends. Loved it, but also didn't personally play through the more spooky segments like haunted house. Predicted most jump scares correctly, still scared anyway. Ridiculous campy fun tho.

Finished Silent Hill 2... eventually. Not sure how I did this really, but it took me like a year. Definitely too scary for me to play through normally.

Little Nightmares looks good and I'll definitely give that a go eventually. Just wondering what else I'm missing. I just like creepy themes even though I can't really stand full on horror myself.

I'm that guy reading wikis, reactions and plot analyses of horror stuff instead of experiencing it myself.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If you liked TWD then play Tales from the Borderlands. It's not horror, but it IS creepy in parts and also their best game.

Also play that game where you are in a house. I can't remember the name. But it's real good.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Artelier posted:

So I played through quite a bit of Oxenfree thanks to this thread many months back and I loooove it. Any other games on that level of scary/creepy to recommend?

I have Night in the Woods but haven't gotten far yet. Pretty sure it gets creepy after a while.

Oxenfree is really one of the more recent entries in a long and proud genre of horror adventures. Fran Bow, DISTRAINT, The Last Door, Stray Cat Crossing, and The Count Lucanor are the ones I would say fall around that level.

You might also want to look at stuff like Anodyne and The Swapper which are less horror but still have creepy bits mixed in with the fun.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Also play that game where you are in a house. I can't remember the name. But it's real good.

Visage?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anatomy

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah thats the one. Kept thinking "Autopsy" but I knew that didn't make any sense and it was a different word.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

It's really hosed up that a thread on the Something Awful Dot Com Comedy Forums is a joke

except this isn't the comedy forums so much as a thread about horror games, not "i'm less of a pussy because this virtual game didn't scare me as much as you"

less threadshitting more relevant posts about horror games pl0x

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dickwaving about how something isn't scary to you because it personally didn't effect you is dumb and stupid because horror has different effects on everyone hth

Detention and The Cat Lady are two awesome adventure game-y horror games, the former about life under martial law in Taiwan and the latter about a woman trying to deal with her crippling depression by killing serial killers. I will warn that The Cat Lady is pretty janky due to the engine, but it's passable for what it is.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely be dipping into some combination of Fran Bow, DISTRAINT, The Last Door, Stray Cat Crossing, and The Count Lucanor soon! I also already have Tales of the Borderlands on PS4, just haven't played it (my bro's game mostly).

Might pass on Anodyne mostly because I don't have a big love for Zelda, and definitely passing on Visage because looks too PT, and all I did in PT was be in the same room behind a blanket as my friends finished it. Not too sure about Anatomy either but the screenshots already make me feel creepy so I might pass on that.

ALSO I BINGED THE SWAPPER YEARS AGO AND LOVED IT AND NOW I THINK I WILL PLAY IT AGAIN. If you haven't played The Swapper, it's basically Portal on a 2D plane with some really, really fiendish puzzles and a creepy sci-fi setting.

EDIT: I just saw the latest post, and I think I'm definitely passing on Detention and The Cat Lady as it looks a bit too outright horror for me.

I realise it's hard to gauge my tolerance but I appreciate any suggestions and will happily research them myself.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 8, 2017

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
So instead of this really gay thing where you guys talk about how bad at joke-telling you all are, we talk about a horror game? I propose Outlast 2. It came in at a good pricepoint of $30 and offers between 8 and 12 hours of gameplay to the average user. If Outlast recently kicked your rear end somehow because of the weirdly difficult parts (the second chapter with Laird Byron was arguably the least consistent in terms of difficulty), they rebalanced difficulty so you should retry it now.

Outlast 2 is definitely more saturated with jump-scares than its predecessor, but in case that isn't your thing, Red Barrel makes up for it with excellent voice-acting, writing and execution on atmosphere and other ambient elements. It's a super creepy game with many subtleties, but doesn't hold back on the more bizarre and macabre moments. My one big plight with it is that Leviticus and Judges (they titled the chapters based off the Bible) are absolutely brimming with jump-scares and convoluted chase-scenes. You'll succeed in a chase-scene from the school and be dropped back into the mining complex for ANOTHER CHASE. It can be a bit frustrating, but at least the chase-sequences are well-choreographed; it's generally pretty obvious where you're supposed to go as long as you follow the lighting.

What did u guys think about it?

e: I'm also doing the speedrun, so if you guys know about any save-skips or ways to make Blake move his drat rear end, PM me your sick strats. TIA

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 8, 2017

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

The Last Door is really fun, I've played it a few times.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

unpleasantly turgid posted:

So instead of this really gay thing where you guys talk about how bad at joke-telling you all are, we talk about a horror game? I propose Outlast 2. It came in at a good pricepoint of $30 and offers between 8 and 12 hours of gameplay to the average user. If Outlast recently kicked your rear end somehow because of the weirdly difficult parts (the second chapter with Laird Byron was arguably the least consistent in terms of difficulty), they rebalanced difficulty so you should retry it now.

Outlast 2 is definitely more saturated with jump-scares than its predecessor, but in case that isn't your thing, Red Barrel makes up for it with excellent voice-acting, writing and execution on atmosphere and other ambient elements. It's a super creepy game with many subtleties, but doesn't hold back on the more bizarre and macabre moments. My one big plight with it is that Leviticus and Judges (they titled the chapters based off the Bible) are absolutely brimming with jump-scares and convoluted chase-scenes. You'll succeed in a chase-scene from the school and be dropped back into the mining complex for ANOTHER CHASE. It can be a bit frustrating, but at least the chase-sequences are well-choreographed; it's generally pretty obvious where you're supposed to go as long as you follow the lighting.

e: I'm also doing the speedrun, so if you guys know about any save-skips or ways to make Blake move his drat rear end, PM me your sick strats. TIA

Wait, didn't we just spend several pages talking about how crap it is?

And not to be a dick, but subtle is not how I'd describe anything about it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah I haven't personally played it but from watching streams and listening to the thread for it I never want to either.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Be careful not to overfill balloons then, sounds like that would be too intense for you

I poop my pants playing Mario, it's terrifying. I'm still curious as to what you think are horror games, what horror is and what games do it well and why; your definition has been pretty nebulous.

It was dog poo poo compared to the first one and just a really bad horror game on it's own. I also beat it in under 6 hours so I'm not sure how you pulled up to 8 from it unless you crept around everywhere moving at a snail's pace. The game forces you to run through more than half of it since it mostly dropped the stealth element from the first game so it goes by super fast.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

Spite posted:

Wait, didn't we just spend several pages talking about how crap it is?

And not to be a dick, but subtle is not how I'd describe anything about it.

I don't know, I only read the first page I come to because the threshold for reading back is always arbitrary. If the discussion at hand is redundant, most people will actually tell me what pages to go to instead of saying the discussion simply happened seeing as the latter is almost pointless.

The little details that level-architects put in to make a more realistic environment are subtle, but okay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the black husserl posted:

The ending to INSIDE was masterful. Had me on the loving floor. I know a lot of gamers didn't like it because a lot of gamers are completely unfamiliar with abstraction or ambiguity and they also tend to hate things they're unfamiliar with.

it's the only good thing about the game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

I poop my pants playing Mario, it's terrifying. I'm still curious as to what you think are horror games, what horror is and what games do it well and why; your definition has been pretty nebulous.

I'm curious as to why you care considering the last time we disagreed you were really lovely about my sadbrains.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

I'm curious as to why you care considering the last time we disagreed you were really lovely about my sadbrains.

I'm curios as to why you keep threadshitting and picking fights when nobody cares

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I don't know, I only read the first page I come to because the threshold for reading back is always arbitrary.
Why read any posts? Choosing which threads to read is arbitrary, just don't bother.

There's a thread for Outlast 2. People are posting relevant criticisms in it that are sensible and even-handed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Last Door is really fun, I've played it a few times.

Seconding this. Haven't seen Lovecraftian horror done well in a while, but The Last Door pulls it off.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It was as joke, but humor is subjective. :smugdog:

But I apologized and cared to hear your opinion on how Outlast could be changed and so forth. As someone that cares to voice their opinion so much in the horror thread I have no clue what you even think constitutes as "horror" if you don't think Bioshock doesn't fall into the category. All I know is that you like Silent Hill 2 (and Illbleed I guess?) but everything else apparently isn't horror or just "edgelord" poo poo that I guess doesn't make it horror???

If you want to continue to have the internet slapfight by all means, I'm just looking for discussion about horror games and not comparing dicks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

It was as joke, but humor is subjective. :smugdog:

But I apologized and cared to hear your opinion on how Outlast could be changed and so forth. As someone that cares to voice their opinion so much in the horror thread I have no clue what you even think constitutes as "horror" if you don't think Bioshock doesn't fall into the category. All I know is that you like Silent Hill 2 (and Illbleed I guess?) but everything else apparently isn't horror or just "edgelord" poo poo that I guess doesn't make it horror???

If you want to continue to have the internet slapfight by all means, I'm just looking for discussion about horror games and not comparing dicks.

Outlast is edgelord garbage, Alien Isolation is great, the Resident Evil games are mostly good, Silent Hill has a few amazing games, System Shock 2 is excellent, The Evil Within is okay but not great, Amnesia is good and there are a bunch of others that I like. I do actually like horror games. Just because I don't think Bioshock, the game where you shoot bees at men in diving suits, is horror doesn't mean I'm some kind of contrarian.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I don't know what Lobster is going to say, but I didn't consider Bioshock to be horror because most of the enemies seem like standard video game enemies who hate me for standard video game reasons (because they're crazy randians) and not because of weird paranormal reasons (because they're possessed by SCIENCE GHOSTS). Now, of course, people in society all losing it and starting to crawl on the ceiling and attack people at random because of Rand and drug abuse would be terrifying in real life, but the game isn't spun to make them scary and impactful, it's made to make them throwaway enemies who I can laugh at for their bad ideas. Big Daddies were kinda scary, but only if you went out of your way to piss them off. Even then, while they were strange, they were just big armored guys with drills and grenade launchers and not really a lot of personality or character or threat beyond that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

alien isolation is a four hour game stretched over 20 hours. i dunno why it got so much love. making the main character ripley's daughter is eye rollingly star wars prequel bad too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

alien isolation is a four hour game stretched over 20 hours. i dunno why it got so much love. making the main character ripley's daughter is eye rollingly star wars prequel bad too.

Nah

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think that's fine - it's not like she brings it up constantly. It's more just a way to connect in a stronger way to the original film as well as a way to kick the plot off in a way the players would appreciate more than just "I'm a regular guy and whoops I just happen to end up with a connection to the events of the first film."

Way too long though, drat. Could've ended 10-15 hours earlier, definitely.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Skyscraper posted:

I don't know what Lobster is going to say, but I didn't consider Bioshock to be horror because most of the enemies seem like standard video game enemies who hate me for standard video game reasons (because they're crazy randians) and not because of weird paranormal reasons (because they're possessed by SCIENCE GHOSTS). Now, of course, people in society all losing it and starting to crawl on the ceiling and attack people at random because of Rand and drug abuse would be terrifying in real life, but the game isn't spun to make them scary and impactful, it's made to make them throwaway enemies who I can laugh at for their bad ideas. Big Daddies were kinda scary, but only if you went out of your way to piss them off. Even then, while they were strange, they were just big armored guys with drills and grenade launchers and not really a lot of personality or character or threat beyond that.

I certainly felt tense for a lot of Bioshock because I could never quite be sure if the area was safe or a splicer was going to pop out from around that corner. But I don't think that's sufficient to make something horror even if it is an element of horror. You need tension in a shooter game to make the threats feel credible. The goal of the game is not to inflict fear but rather to make you feel as though the things you are fighting are a credible threat. In a horror game I think the primary goal needs to be creating fear in the player and tension is certainly a tool in the toolbox but it's not enough if you never use the tension you've built to do something especially scary.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Outlast is edgelord garbage, Alien Isolation is great, the Resident Evil games are mostly good, Silent Hill has a few amazing games, System Shock 2 is excellent, The Evil Within is okay but not great, Amnesia is good and there are a bunch of others that I like. I do actually like horror games. Just because I don't think Bioshock, the game where you shoot bees at men in diving suits, is horror doesn't mean I'm some kind of contrarian.

Like, do you find shooting bees at the Big Daddy's humorous or what? I don't get why that wouldn't make it horror; the whole game you're managing your resources which are usually always low in a dystopian world that was once a utopia being hunted by ravenous junkies. On the flip side you say Resident Evil is "mostly" good, but all of the RE games are filled with shlock, bad stories and enemies that are comparable to Big Daddies, giant snakes and spiders right out of the lowest budget 80s fantasy film, weird zombie women with huge racks because reasons, goofy dwarves dressed in Baroque attire and a giant man in bondage gear that attacks with 10 foot cocks and literally face fucks you to death with them.

What are the boundaries of the box you consider horror? Do you think the recent Doom was a horror game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Like, do you find shooting bees at the Big Daddy's humorous or what? I don't get why that wouldn't make it horror; the whole game you're managing your resources which are usually always low in a dystopian world that was once a utopia being hunted by ravenous junkies. On the flip side you say Resident Evil is "mostly" good, but all of the RE games are filled with shlock, bad stories and enemies that are comparable to Big Daddies, giant snakes and spiders right out of the lowest budget 80s fantasy film, weird zombie women with huge racks because reasons, goofy dwarves dressed in Baroque attire and a giant man in bondage gear that attacks with 10 foot cocks and literally face fucks you to death with them.

What are the boundaries of the box you consider horror? Do you think the recent Doom was a horror game?

There's more to horror then not having a lot of bullets. Bioshock never does anything that actually creates horror and makes you incredibly powerful pretty early on. Even the most action heavy good Resident Evil game, RE4, has enemies that are actually threatening and situations that use tension, enemy placement and atmosphere to create actually scary situations. RE4 might be goofy as gently caress but it actually uses horror effectively. Bioshock on the other hand makes you extremely strong and while it might be tense it never actually moves into horror. Enemies are mostly weak and predictable and you spend the entire game shooting fireballs and bees and ice cannons. There's just no horror there.

I don't know why you're so hung up on what I consider horror. I don't think my definition is unconventional or anything. I haven't played the new Doom.

E: Also this conversation isn't particularly interesting or novel since you seem to spend all your time trying to quiz me on horror or whatever. I guess what I'm trying to say is leave me alone and don't try to use peoples mental problems against them.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 8, 2017