Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I have trouble with their word choice. "Refused." If a dude is on fire from electricity, I'm likely to also become on fire if I try to help as an untrained passerby.

But I like their word choice for "shocking"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nocheez posted:

Aww, I didn't hear about this until now. I'm sad :(

He died doing what he loved: transversing a mountain face and inhuman speeds.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Dark One posted:

The "on fire" part wasn't a permanent thing. He ended up walking himself to a clinic.

Dude tried to steal copper from a live substation. There was nothing anyone could do to help.
Unfortunately, mercy kills are illegal.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder if these guys start out just not bothered by heights or if they start out terrified and then eventually it gets boring.

Or what if it's still terrifying every time, and all the guys in these videos are just making GBS threads their pants every minute of it.

The way I see it, being up 100ft is just as lethal as 1,000+ ft. Climbing that mast, I bet the ground becomes an abstract concept and you just focus on the next rung.

It would take 100% trust in those hand/footholds and putting "the call of the void" out of your mind, both which I doubt I could do.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this reminds me of that incident about this time last year where a bunch of tourists in yellowstone grabbed a buffalo calf that they thought "was freezing" and shoved it in their minivan and turned it in to the park rangers, but when the rangers tried to give it back it got rejected by the herd and had to be put down

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That's a good way to get gored.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Sagebrush posted:

this reminds me of that incident about this time last year where a bunch of tourists in yellowstone grabbed a buffalo calf that they thought "was freezing" and shoved it in their minivan and turned it in to the park rangers, but when the rangers tried to give it back it got rejected by the herd and had to be put down

I think they shoved it into their car too, lmfao

the little baby calf imprinted on cars and humans and was refusing to eat, and the original herd wouldn't take it back, so they killed it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aren't those things notoriously dangerous?

EDIT: Yeah... http://hikinginglacier.blogspot.ca/2012/06/yellowstone-visitor-gored-after-failing.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tumble posted:

I think they shoved it into their car too, lmfao

the little baby calf imprinted on cars and humans and was refusing to eat, and the original herd wouldn't take it back, so they killed it

Yeah, the rangers had a hell of a time explaining to everyone that the calf's life had been permanently derailed and if they hadn't euthanized it it just would have gotten itself killed in a much more prolonged and/or painful way.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes, yes they are. Every year someone gets gored by one, or attacked by a bear, or falls in a pit of actual boiling acid or what have you. Yellowstone is very exciting.

Found a page with video of the picture i posted earlier.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/...in-yellowstone/

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 8, 2017

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Dark One posted:

The "on fire" part wasn't a permanent thing

Yeah, most fires burn out...

The Dark One posted:

He ended up walking himself to a clinic.

Oh.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, most fires burn out...

Oh.

This remind me of the old ICU saying "One way or another, all bleeding eventually stops"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
OSHA doing it's job?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FXfClBq5MQ

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Yes, yes they are. Every year someone gets gored by one, or attacked by a bear, or falls in a pit of actual boiling acid or what have you. Yellowstone is very exciting.

Found a page with video of the picture i posted earlier.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/...in-yellowstone/

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I have trouble with their word choice. "Refused." If a dude is on fire from electricity, I'm likely to also become on fire if I try to help as an untrained passerby.

The video is on the net and it's pretty disturbing. The guy isn't on fire, but his skin is flayed and he's clearly in excruciating pain. Meanwhile passersby are actively yelling at him as he begs for help.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Azathoth posted:

If I'm reading that right, he died doing what amounts to testing a last-ditch safety system for kicks, right? Cause it really sounds like that guy had a legit deathwish.

He didn't die while climbing, he also had a thing for jumping off things while secured with a rope. He got a rope special made for him to do a very high jump (a normal climbing rope would not hold that kind of jump, there made for abseiling and short <60ft falls).
Dan Osman made the jump successfully, but inexplicably decided to come back a few weeks later and repeat it with the rope that
A) had only been expected to use for one​ jump in the first place and
B) had been lying in the woods for weeks,
so in a way he should have seen it coming.

I've always heard the reason nobody uses hemp rope anymore is because it's not elastic. So it may or may not hold your fall, but there's a large risk of it breaking your spine in the process. Modern climbing basically requires a certain willingness to fall, I imagine in the days of hemp rope that was very different.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dude tried to steal copper from a live substation.

I saw this and figured it was in South Africa, and sure enough it was.

I heard years ago that stealing copper from live substations is pretty popular there. The article even says the same substation was hit a few weeks earlier.

I'd like to think that if I lived there I'd have called an ambulance, but I can imagine that with the kind of poo poo I hear about going on over there I'd be kind of happy to have one less criminal in my town.

Less risky OHSA in South Africa::

quote:

Green Power,

SPENDING fever has reached all walks of South African life. Here is a fellow who lives in a squatter camp beyond Somerset West in Western Cape who now wants a television set.- a new one, mind , not that second hand thing in the pawn-shop - so he buys one from a high street furniture retailer.

But he's back the next day saying the thing keeps switching off just at the crucial moment. The shop checks and can find nothing wrong, but soon enough he is back with the same complaint.

This time the shop sends out the technician to pop round to see what the problem is. When the technician gets there, he discovers that our guys shack draws its power from a nearby traffic light, and that the TV only works when the light is green.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

That license plate is perfect.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

NoWake posted:

The way I see it, being up 100ft is just as lethal as 1,000+ ft. Climbing that mast, I bet the ground becomes an abstract concept and you just focus on the next rung.

It would take 100% trust in those hand/footholds and putting "the call of the void" out of your mind, both which I doubt I could do.

Pretty much once you're 10-15 metres above the deck you stop freaking out about hitting the ground. The scariest moment I've been through was unjamming a rope 50 mtrs above ground with a second rope attached to me that had not much protection attached to it because of the shape of the cliff. I got up got the rope unjammed and shut down completely but made myself safe first. Sitting on the next ledge I watched a cockatoo fly around in the valley below trying to find his mates which was the most blissful thing to watch.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I've always heard the reason nobody uses hemp rope anymore is because it's not elastic. So it may or may not hold your fall, but there's a large risk of it breaking your spine in the process. Modern climbing basically requires a certain willingness to fall, I imagine in the days of hemp rope that was very different.
The only use for hemp lines is kink. It's loving garbage for actual climbing. It's unreliable until you use ridiculous diameters, it's go no spring, you can't get it wet but also can't really let it dry out.

It's good for tying willing partners up and that's about it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Buttcoin purse posted:

I saw this and figured it was in South Africa, and sure enough it was.

I heard years ago that stealing copper from live substations is pretty popular there. The article even says the same substation was hit a few weeks earlier.

I'd like to think that if I lived there I'd have called an ambulance, but I can imagine that with the kind of poo poo I hear about going on over there I'd be kind of happy to have one less criminal in my town.

Less risky OHSA in South Africa::

Slightly worse Africa OSHA.

Thieves in Kenya are stealing the oil out of power transformers and selling it as oil for deep frying food.

loving with electricity, loving with the economy and selling toxic oil for food use.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

evil_bunnY posted:

The only use for hemp lines is kink. It's loving garbage for actual climbing. It's unreliable until you use ridiculous diameters, it's go no spring, you can't get it wet but also can't really let it dry out.

Unrelated, by why is that quote pointing at me? I never posted that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nocheez posted:

Unrelated, by why is that quote pointing at me? I never posted that.

We know your secrets.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nenonen posted:

We know your secrets.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Memento posted:

Slightly worse Africa OSHA.

Thieves in Kenya are stealing the oil out of power transformers and selling it as oil for deep frying food.

loving with electricity, loving with the economy and selling toxic oil for food use.

Couldn't they add something that would give the oil a bad or telltale taste/smell? They probably already thought of that, though. It would probably impact the job they need it to do.

azurite fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 8, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Dark One posted:

The "on fire" part wasn't a permanent thing. He ended up walking himself to a clinic.

Yeah, if it's the same article I read, they helpfully gave him directions so he could walk there (to later die), but no one could be arsed to actually take him.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

azurite posted:

Couldn't they add something that would give the oil a bad or telltale taste/smell? They probably already thought of that, though. It would probably impact the job they need it to do.

They already do with a lot of other fluids (particularly if it contains alcohol) but I guess nobody thought people would be bad/dumb enough to sell that poo poo as cooking oil. I mean why not at least sell it as motor oil, it's at least an order of magnitude more expensive.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I was cross country skiing in Yellowstone a few years ago and we ran into a solo bull bison coming the other way on a plowed road with about 7 foot snow walls on each side. It really looked like it could kill us all with little to no effort and we'd have no recourse to escape. Luckily it was about zero f out and I think the bison was in a semi catatonic state so it barely seemed to notice us but it was pretty scary.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Something like 5-6 people were gored in yellowstone last year. The book death in yellowstone is pretty good.

The_end
May 17, 2014

flosofl posted:

Yeah, if it's the same article I read, they helpfully gave him directions so he could walk there (to later die), but no one could be arsed to actually take him.
I would not want that mess in my vehicle.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

I was cross country skiing in Yellowstone a few years ago and we ran into a solo bull bison coming the other way on a plowed road with about 7 foot snow walls on each side. It really looked like it could kill us all with little to no effort and we'd have no recourse to escape. Luckily it was about zero f out and I think the bison was in a semi catatonic state so it barely seemed to notice us but it was pretty scary.

I seem to recall something about there eyesight being bad which is one of the reasons people get gored they get surprised something is that close and react.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'd call the thief (who could have killed someone by disrupting power like that) an ambulance/cop car and then move on with my day. No way am I risking my rear end getting electrocuted, some sort of blood disease, getting assaulted by a criminal, or messing up my clothes.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I think your view of criminals is different when you have to live in razor wire walled off neighborhoods with private security for fear of home invasions.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JB50 posted:

I think your view of criminals is different when you have to live in razor wire walled off neighborhoods with private security for fear of home invasions.

Frankly when you live in a neighborhood like that I just want to invade it even more.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Gets exciting at about 50 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UX1nF4L3OI

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/10-injured-at-jebel-ali-port-as-ship-hits-crane-causing-it-to-fall

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

parallelodad posted:

Frankly when you live in a neighborhood like that I just want to invade it even more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I feel like I'm in 2012 and still have the Rage Comics app on my phone.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

In the theatre we still use hemp lines for hauling and some rigging, but the hemp splinters you can get from the larger lines are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh man if it would have hit that building it could have been very bad.