Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

GramCracker posted:

Wait. How did some of you not hear of that? Or is it because it's The Worst Thread did you guys assume it was made up poo poo?

It's just so insane that I thought it was just a rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think it'd be so much that as the golden goose's dad waking up and realising he's burning cash so his next of kin can become the butt of everybody's jokes and deciding it's time to pack up.

That's a fair point.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Nah, I don't see Frank Williams loving the golden goose, no matter how many cars he writes off.

You don't make money when every dollar invested is immediately spent repairing all the damage your kid keeps doing to the car.

And Williams has a pretty stable financial footprint now which, loathe I am to admit, I credit Adam Parr with during those horrible years of aggressive mediocrity. Stroll is a bonus cheque not someone crucial to keeping the team alive ala Sauber.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's actually gotta be Renault, there's no way he goes to Williams with di Resta waiting in the wings.

Oh no, what if it's McLaren?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
only other team aside from Mercedes with DTM links are Williams. Has to be connected to DTM because that's what's been paying his wages for years and he's not going to throw that away for a part season contract at Renault while they get that French kid ready.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Theophany posted:

He has to come back to put right 2008.

I know it wasn't his fault (see my Senna's Spirit™ theory) but he is very much the enemy for what he did. In fact, he may be Massa's punishment from the F1 gods for unretiring.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't think it'll be Haas, given that both K-Mag and Big John seem to be doing well there.

Provided the brakes aren't toasted.

Also, what if he's bumping one of the Toro Rosso drivers (don't take this one seriously)?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Put Stroll back in as a reserve drive, say he's not ready for F1 and needs a few more years to incubate, put Glock in as an immediate stop-gap measure. Begin the process of seeing what the gently caress to do about Stroll and what junior category they can shove him into for a few more years to prep for F1.

Realize that just because Verstappen managed it and Vettel kinda did it too that super young drivers that acclimatize and are actually quick right away are still the exception and definitely not the norm.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
lmao, Timo fuckin' Glock

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It could of course be that a team wants to scare the poo poo out of one of their drivers and gave timo some cash to help them do it; "buck up/pay up or we give away your seat, what you don't believe us? We got Timo in for a seat fitting see"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

It could of course be that a team wants to scare the poo poo out of one of their drivers and gave timo some cash to help them do it; "buck up/pay up or we give away your seat, what you don't believe us? We got Timo in for a seat fitting see"

To which a driver would respond:

Wirth1000 posted:

lmao, Timo fuckin' Glock

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm comforting myself by accepting the theory that "F1 Team" really means Pirelli.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Gigi Galli posted:

It's just so insane that I thought it was just a rumor.

From what I've read on Reddit, it isn't as insane as it sounds.

Supposedly it's so they don't waste resources when testing cylinder configurations - it makes sense to test a concept with one cylinder and then scale it up when it's refined rather than building a whole V6 unit each time. Apparently the problem is that the engine was designed for Mobil1/Exxon fuel and the change to Castrol was too late in its development cycle for them to adapt to. That's what's being reported at least, there's always the chance Honda really are that incompetent and are trying to shift blame.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

HJB posted:

I'm comforting myself by accepting the theory that "F1 Team" really means Pirelli.

It's not you know http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128980 next two tests are being done by red bull and they ain't giving up a young drivers slot for timo glock.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

Supposedly it's so they don't waste resources when testing cylinder configurations - it makes sense to test a concept with one cylinder and then scale it up when it's refined rather than building a whole V6 unit each time. Apparently the problem is that the engine was designed for Mobil1/Exxon fuel and the change to Castrol was too late in its development cycle for them to adapt to. That's what's being reported at least, there's always the chance Honda really are that incompetent and are trying to shift blame.

The Castrol thing is one of those "only Reddit thinks this" things that you're gonna wanna go ahead and ignore.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

It's not you know http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128980 next two tests are being done by red bull and they ain't giving up a young drivers slot for timo glock.

He's certainly no young driver, that's for sure.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

It's actually gotta be Renault, there's no way he goes to Williams with di Resta waiting in the wings.

Oh no, what if it's McLaren?

I'd follow Indy really close if so!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Rhopunzel posted:

I mean yes, you design one cylinder, but then you also assemble it and do extensive testing on the full complement of them before just thinking that it will work. The insane part was that there wasn't enough testing (if any) on the fully assembled thing, not that they did an incremental design and build.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Single cylinders are really limited in usefulness to evaluating the efficiency​ of the combustion chamber under a certain set of conditions that may or may not be reflective of the real world and ignore pretty much every other aspect of the engine. Designing a whole engine off the back of the results is absurd and the whole castrol thing just sounds like Reddit armchair theorising.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd rather get all my F1 news directly from learnincurve than believe reddit f1 rumors.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Many of reddit's silly F1 theories come from Joe Saward, who they think is a good and trustworthy journalist. I wouldn't be surprised if this was something he wrote and only they believed him.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Even I know that guy is as trustworthy as bild.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I'd rather get all my F1 news directly from learnincurve than believe reddit f1 rumors.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

He posted another gram before it where he said he was flying into London on a "secret mission." You'd fly into London for any of those factories, right?

For any of the UK's F1 teams, yes you would.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I hate to defend reddit, even in an oblique way, but I'm pretty sure that "fuel switch" issue was written about in Racecar Engineering magazine.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://mobile.twitter.com/realTimoGlock/status/861522320992632833

(He also tweeted earlier that he was filming something for rtl)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I hate to defend reddit, even in an oblique way, but I'm pretty sure that "fuel switch" issue was written about in Racecar Engineering magazine.

Is this the same magazine that claimed Honda had a secret shadow F1 team running for the last ten years just because they were confused by the fact that Honda let their F1 engineers keep working for a few months in 2009 before they reassigned them?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I don't know why there's all this speculation about which seat Glock'll take based on one Instagram when it's pretty obvious he's not getting any kind of a real F1 drive.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The idea that Exxon worked in a complete bubble knowing how to make the Honda engine work and did not receive any input from Honda or pass off any data is fairly absurd.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

gret posted:

I don't know why there's all this speculation about which seat Glock'll take based on one Instagram when it's pretty obvious he's not getting any kind of a real F1 drive.

Becuse it's fun to talk about and better than hearing some cokehead's opinion on the military industrial complex.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The worst you could blame Castrol for is possibly not getting the octan rating to hold up under the conditions possible for TJI but they've done it for Renault on incredibly short notice as well and the team is so vocal about their issues at this point that they would've out and confirmed that if it was. My feeling is that it's still a Honda issue.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

Becuse it's fun to talk about and better than hearing some cokehead's opinion on the military industrial complex.

Lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Norns posted:

lmao

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Speaking of glock reminds me of other rather mediocre drivers of that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfRVctse_KQ

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

gret posted:

That "chassis" looked awful roomy for an F1 car. IndyCar?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

Speaking of glock reminds me of other rather mediocre drivers of that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfRVctse_KQ

Is that Kimi with a mullet there?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That "chassis" looked awful roomy for an F1 car. IndyCar?

I don't think they'd use an actual F1 chassis for seat fitting. Probably a dummy/simulator chassis.

But I don't run the teams so what do I know!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Glock is tweeting.

Welp, nevermind. It's probably Pirelli after all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maybe they'll make new tires that don't require a blanket to be used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It could be for a dumb DHL tie in given he gave a shout out to Deutsche Post.

• Locked thread