Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
GIRL stays clan 99% of the year simply because CW is dogshit and no one plays it. The 2 times a year, we usually sync up, but I don't think anyone with rights has been on in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
GIRL was originally the goon clan, yeah. But then PGI made amazingly dumb game decisions (surprise!) which killed CW, game and goon population which just ended up making GIRL just a gimmick for space feminism. So since the game's population is dead it's just better for GIRL and WoL to be on the same contract for CW events. Which I definitely hosed up this go. Sorry.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Higby has gone Clan for this event and I'd be happy to play with other Clan goon folks if they'd like. :) I've had good games playing with my WoL and GIRL peeps.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Higby still have a lot of players? Never see anybody on your mumble. Then again I am usually on during euro hours

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Willfrey posted:

Higby still have a lot of players? Never see anybody on your mumble. Then again I am usually on during euro hours

We're on discord, and no, there's not many of us left. Last estimate was...5...active players? :v:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Artificer posted:

We're on discord, and no, there's not many of us left. Last estimate was...5...active players? :v:

7 or 8 us still play. We are in a bit of a lull probably until the new tech comes out.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Artificer posted:

Higby has gone Clan for this event and I'd be happy to play with other Clan goon folks if they'd like. :) I've had good games playing with my WoL and GIRL peeps.

Good times were had with higbys :).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

If we're just going to slap everything on auto-renew, maybe hand over the reigns of WoL and GIRL to people who are more active?

This has literally been the only time WoL has been set to Auto Renew. I didn't know if anyone who CAN accept contracts would bother getting a new one because gently caress CW and CW events, and ours was up a few hours or so before I had to leave for the airport. You're essentially assuming there is a problem where there wasn't.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 7, 2017

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

can someone invite organburner into WoL?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Skoll posted:

This has literally been the only time WoL has been set to Auto Renew. I didn't know if anyone who CAN accept contracts would bother getting a new one because gently caress CW and CW events, and ours was up a few hours or so before I had to leave for the airport. You're essentially assuming there is a problem where there wasn't.

The only upside to these dumpster fire events is more goons come out to play.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CW seems like a total mess, but I actually quite like the event. The majority of it is 'play' rather than 'win, ' and the rewards are all pretty boss.

I just wish I could be driving my Clan mechs, but no such luck.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
Looking at the achievements page, GIRL has 75692 total XP and I have 40126 of that. I AM GIRL!

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Can I get a WoL invite if people are playing there? I too would like tasty event stuff but only really have IS mechs. IGN is the same as my name here and I've been in WoL several times before.

edit: Also, I swear I saw a thing awhile back that talked about all the hero mechs and which ones sucked and which ones are good. Am I high, or does that exist? Because I've got MC and I was looking at a bunch of them and trying to decide which one(s) to get if any.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Darius099 posted:

Can I get a WoL invite if people are playing there? I too would like tasty event stuff but only really have IS mechs. IGN is the same as my name here and I've been in WoL several times before.

edit: Also, I swear I saw a thing awhile back that talked about all the hero mechs and which ones sucked and which ones are good. Am I high, or does that exist? Because I've got MC and I was looking at a bunch of them and trying to decide which one(s) to get if any.

I don't have the list off the top of my head, but there might be a sale on the hero mechs so you should wait for that if possible.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Darius099 posted:

Pirate's Bane is a safe bet. The Locust mastery pack is good as well, since a few of the Locusts are actually really good. Fragile, but good.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Artificer posted:

I don't have the list off the top of my head, but there might be a sale on the hero mechs so you should wait for that if possible.

Oh yeah? Like they just have them regularly, or was there a news announcement or something?

The Repo Man posted:

Pirate's Bane is a safe bet. The Locust mastery pack is good as well, since a few of the Locusts are actually really good. Fragile, but good.

Thanks! I'll look at the Pirate's Bane. I already have all the other Locusts though since I bought the first pack that had them all.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Darius099 posted:

Oh yeah? Like they just have them regularly, or was there a news announcement or something?

Thanks! I'll look at the Pirate's Bane. I already have all the other Locusts though since I bought the first pack that had them all.

They have 'em 2 or 3 times a year, and I vaguely recall someone saying that the holidays that they tend to do them on are coming soon?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Someone asked for optimal drop decks for CW. Here's a four word guide to buying a nearly optimal CW drop deck.

Buy four of these.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=116&l=24fdd812c9e63bf0c5e4a42104939ea029529148

Bonus:

If you want more than four words, buy one of these too.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=314&l=e23375c026a476c2f60241a01846c11f027560cb

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Commoners posted:

Someone asked for optimal drop decks for CW. Here's a four word guide to buying a nearly optimal CW drop deck.

Buy four of these.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=116&l=24fdd812c9e63bf0c5e4a42104939ea029529148

Bonus:

If you want more than four words, buy one of these too.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=314&l=e23375c026a476c2f60241a01846c11f027560cb

The TDR-9SE is so good, I have it in my dropdeck.

Darius099 posted:

Get on mumble/add people to your friends list and play with them. I believe the admin(s) for WoL are a bit AFK at the moment so don't wait for an invite until you join the event.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI1rot6AYh4

i made a sound mod for weapons, theres some delay on it but its playable. anyone know how to get rid of the delays? using FMOD designer and 16 bit pcm 44100-48000hz tracks for the mod currently
I've tried to mess around with different formats but I got the delay issue as small as possible right now. I dont think any other weapon sound mods have delays so I have to be missing something.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

FARTSTAR posted:

i made a sound mod for weapons, theres some delay on it but its playable. anyone know how to get rid of the delays? using FMOD designer and 16 bit pcm 44100-48000hz tracks for the mod currently
I've tried to mess around with different formats but I got the delay issue as small as possible right now. I dont think any other weapon sound mods have delays so I have to be missing something.

These are good, and cool; I like the PPC and Gauss in particular. A lot of them feel really bass-heavy, though.

Afraid I don't know much about the technical side of sound design or I'd help out. I know there are a few more sound packs out there, might be worth contacting their authors to see if they know.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So apparently scouting has turned into 3 mediums and a light hiding like a bitch til the ship shows up today. Guess IS is tired of getting their poo poo pushed in brawling.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

So apparently scouting has turned into 3 mediums and a light hiding like a bitch til the ship shows up today. Guess IS is tired of getting their poo poo pushed in brawling.

They could also just run 4 Commoner PHawks.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Man, if you're losing scouting brawls as IS, that's on the players, not the mechs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

aniviron posted:

Man, if you're losing scouting brawls as IS, that's on the players, not the mechs.

I gotta go with this. I'm willing to entertain a fair amount of talk about Clans being OP, but medium weight brawling is one area where IS at least breaks even. Stuff like the GRF 3M and 2N can go toe to toe with any Clan medium and come out on top.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Skippy McPants posted:

I gotta go with this. I'm willing to entertain a fair amount of talk about Clans being OP, but medium weight brawling is one area where IS at least breaks even. Stuff like the GRF 3M and 2N can go toe to toe with any Clan medium and come out on top.

You don't even have to face Stomcrows since they forbid them in scouting anymore, which means no Splatcrows or Doombud crows

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Why are storm crows forbidden in scouting?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Why are storm crows forbidden in scouting?

Because theyre some of the best mechs in the game and the IS has no counter for them at that level. Because the game is well balanced, you see.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Honestly I never found storm crows to be that huge an issue. They're good, yes, but they're a giant pair of legs. Sooooo loving easy to leg, jesus.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Because they are 55 tons and the cutoff point is 50 tons. The cutoff point is 50 tons because ^

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
It was a balance issue. All other things equal, a pilot in a SRM bomber stormcrow should handily beat a pilot in an SRM bomber griffon. It should really be no contest; they're both REALLY good mechs, but the stormcrow is just one of the best mechs in the game even beyond that of the griffon.

The thing with that, though, is that when you get into the lower level of pilot skill the stormcrow was able to blow everything out of the water thanks to streak 6s, and IS pilots with equivalent potato skills had absolutely no recourse to counter them. Objectively bad pilots who would otherwise not be a threat at all were suddenly a very valid threat (streak crows were the only thing that ever regularly killed me in scouting), and they hand to do nothing more than hold W + M1 and vaguely point the crosshair at the enemy to be able to spit out a 60 point alpha that will absolutely hit any target within 400m. This is on a platform that is able to go faster than any IS mech sitting at its bracket with equivalent firepower, and also is completely unthreatened by any light due to its ability to reliably one or two-shot them if they come within that 400m range.

The only way to beat four bad stormcrow pilots with streaks was to have four good IS brawling pilots (good luck finding that, lol), or to do silly gimmick builds like my phoenix hawk that have the armor, speed, and just enough range to keep outside 400m and slowly peck them to death over time. The streak tech imbalance will be slightly alleviated when IS gets their streak 6s also, but if the crow is reintroduced after that it will still poo poo all over the bushwackers that are boating streaks thanks to the 130m longer range that clan streaks get over IS ones while still retaining a higher speed.

If the SC went the same speed as the huntsman or nova it wouldn't be as big of a deal to fight, but that thing is basically as optimal as you get when it comes to mechs in the scouting niche. Fast enough to murder lights, enough armor and weapons to still murder equivalent mediums.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I never found storm crows to be that huge an issue. They're good, yes, but they're a giant pair of legs. Sooooo loving easy to leg, jesus.

I think you should only shoot at the CT anything else is overkill

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

FARTSTAR posted:

These are great. I like the AC20 but I still prefer PGIs, other than that it sounds better across the board

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Outside of scouting, I think, the SCR has largely fallen behind though. The Nova has better quirks, the HBK IIC has better mounts and flexibility, the VPR is faster and more agile, and you can take your pick of which one of those you want. I pretty much never see Stormcrows anymore, largely because every role they can fill, something else does better right now.

That's not to say it's a bad mech, but it's in the unenviable spot of being a generalist in MWO right now. If all the quirks were to disappear overnight, it would be top poo poo again, though the HBK IIC would give it a run for its money given that it doesn't need quirks to be good either. But that's not the state of play.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

It doesn't matter how good you are if the enemy is actively avoiding your griffins in an arctic cheetah just waiting for the dropship. Most of my scouting losses this weekend were games like these, the games that had a full out brawl we won easily.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

It doesn't matter how good you are if the enemy is actively avoiding your griffins in an arctic cheetah just waiting for the dropship. Most of my scouting losses this weekend were games like these, the games that had a full out brawl we won easily.

But that's just Smoke Diving. It's a tactic not a tech, and one that isn't exclusive to the Clans. If anything, it's an area where the IS has a resounding advantage. They're rife with spindly little mechs that go a million miles per hour. You think pinning down an ACH is bad? Consider how frustrating it would be to try and catch a bunch of Spiders or Pirate's Banes zipping around all over the place.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 9, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

But that's just Smoke Diving. It's a tactic not a tech, and one that isn't exclusive to the Clans. If anything, it's an area where the IS has a resounding advantage. They're rife with spindly little mechs that go a million miles per hour. You think pinning down an ACH is bad? Consider how frustrating it would be to try and catch a bunch of Spiders or Pirate's Banes zipping around all over the place.

Or a Commoners Special PHX. gently caress, even the ECM PHX.

edit: honestly it's a tactic you don't see much this event because they've actively discouraged it. If you smoke dive you're getting piss all for points, where as if you load up a bunch of SRMs and only get 2 or 3 salvos off you'll probably still get 100 on a loss.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's sort of satisfying to come back from vacation and see the clans dominating Tukayyid haha. I guess I better try and grind this poo poo out this weekend.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

It's sort of satisfying to come back from vacation and see the clans dominating Tukayyid haha. I guess I better try and grind this poo poo out this weekend.

HOnestly it's not that hard. Do a few scouting matches a night and when a goon group gets together slam down a bunch of invasion matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CW and this event has put a huge dent in my enjoyment of the game. Faction imbalance is one thing, but having a matchmaking system that repeatedly feeds pugs into stacked groups is an inexcusable fuckup.

• Locked thread