Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I'd make those 2x of the same part that fit together with rotational symmetry to save on complexity. I might print it rotated 90deg so the fdm can have many single noodles travelling through the L to avoid a weak lap joint at the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Pimblor posted:

I'm working on printing a guard for it but I can't figure out how to separate these two bodies in Fusion 360 after doing a cut operation on it (it won't fit on my printer table):

Either select each body from the object tree on the left and right click, save as STL or use the make button and highlight one at a time.

Moving them is difficult because of the parametric modelling thing. You could probably get round it by turning off the timeline (capture design history) before making the cut but I've never tried it.

The other way would be converting bodies to components but... well, try it and you'll see.

Mudfly
Jun 10, 2012
If it works like inventor you could also do a giant extruded cut to remove each body one at a time and then 'save as stl'. Project geometry to get the outline of the dovetail joint.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I found some 2nd hand filing cabinets from a closed bank office for 20 euros a piece. I went to pick up both of them today but holy moly those things were bigger than I thought. And one of them didn't have proper drawers, it was more for hanging folders off. So I only got the one with proper drawers, only one would fit in the car anyhow. Good thing too because it was to fit this big cabinet into the crowded shop but I placed it next to the drill press, I will need to pull it out if I drill something bigger so it's gonna be kinda annoying, might have to move other things about....

There is another cabinet I didn't get, same dimensions except only two drawers high, I am thinking of going back for it and replacing it as my drill press stand.

These are some serious drawers, full extension, lockable, there's some kind of safety system so only one drawer at a time can be opened.
I've been lacking deep drawers to store bigger stuff in.

For the top drawer I decided to make an insert so I can use more of the vertical height of the drawer, here was a use for my sheet metal brake. I think I will make another insert for the drawer underneath too. I might TIG weld ends on this drawer to stiffen it up.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
oh man i didn't know hand shapers were a thing. they're... adorable :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBG652_9wl0

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
An old hand machinist i work with was talking about safety to some students and said that shop coats are particularly safe in the machine shop because they're designed to come apart at the seams or otherwise fail in a predictable way if they get pulled into machinery so you don't go along for the ride. Can anyone speak to that being accurate before I go and repeat it? I'm mostly just curious because I can't find anything about that factoid one way or another online.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
New shop uniform should be tear away pants and sleeveless sweatshirt.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
OSHA 1.0 turned awful tragedies into close calls and lessons learned. OSHA 2.0 turns close calls into a barrel of laughs when the lathe harmlessly exposes your dick to the shop floor

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Extremely unrelated: I just found out about the Universal Pillar Tool and I'm glad somebody's already properly articulated a vague tool idea I've had for ages but never sat down and worked through. Seem real simple to make given access to a machine shop, I think I'm gonna slot a simple barstock version (instead of working from castings like most people seem to) into my project list.

also- when done well they're extremely pretty!!

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 8, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

An old hand machinist i work with was talking about safety to some students and said that shop coats are particularly safe in the machine shop because they're designed to come apart at the seams or otherwise fail in a predictable way if they get pulled into machinery so you don't go along for the ride. Can anyone speak to that being accurate before I go and repeat it? I'm mostly just curious because I can't find anything about that factoid one way or another online.

You tell me!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Extremely unrelated: I just found out about the Universal Pillar Tool and I'm glad somebody's already properly articulated a vague tool idea I've had for ages but never sat down and worked through. Seem real simple to make given access to a machine shop, I think I'm gonna slot a simple barstock version (instead of working from castings like most people seem to) into my project list.

also- when done well they're extremely pretty!!

Is that surgical tubing as a drive belt? That's pretty cool.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Maybe a long time ago, but definitely not today. I just checked our last three uniform suppliers (Aramark, Unifirst, G&K) and none have anything in any of the catalogs about safety features like that. I'd guess it's the other way around now seeing as the rental folks take the uniforms and wash them weekly. The last thing they want is the arms falling off in a washing machine filled with identical jackets. Found the pictures below while digging into old books looking for more info on that. Safety in old machine shops was terrible. Belts flapping everywhere, no guards on the gearcases of lathes, it was dark and oily. I have vague memories of going into old machine shops like that as a little kid and it felt like a dungeon.

Hey, it's the big brother to the UPT.

Go play, dad's busy.

More gems like that here : https://books.google.com/books?id=DbYpAAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA168&ots=urqFEbaIav&dq=machine%20shop%20uniforms&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
A friend who was a factory fitter told me about a trip he took to Japan when his company wanted to see if they could adopt the more efficient Japanese working practices to up unit output.

Part of the speed of the Japanese production was there were no guards on anything like the European line would have. So no time was lost closing, locking, unlocking, opening. There was just yellow lines everywhere that if you crossed, you were fired.

So he says anyway.

That pillar tool is a work of art. What's it do?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rapulum_Dei posted:

A friend who was a factory fitter told me about a trip he took to Japan when his company wanted to see if they could adopt the more efficient Japanese working practices to up unit output.

Part of the speed of the Japanese production was there were no guards on anything like the European line would have. So no time was lost closing, locking, unlocking, opening. There was just yellow lines everywhere that if you crossed, you were fired.

So he says anyway.

More than that, it's lean manufacturing implemented correctly. Every machine shop I've ever been in has glaring, horrible flaws that cost the company god knows how much, and they simply don't have the skillset to identify and fix those problems. So poo poo just sits around and rots. It boils down to supply chain logistics and communication for the most part. American manufacturing is horrible at it, and I've watched companies throw way more money away over that than whatever you can gain from a couple seconds of cycle time by removing guards.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Rapulum_Dei posted:

That pillar tool is a work of art. What's it do?
It's basically a modular/flexible platform for a range of user-fabricated tooling that involves upper and lower components. The core principle is "base, straight and true pillar, with arms you can add or remove from the pillar that are machined so their tool-holders are concentric". The niche it fills is for doing small, fiddly or precise work where bigger tools fall short or where doing whatever freehand isn't cutting it- model-makers and hobby machinists seem to use them a lot. They get set up to do everything from riveting and light stakework-

to tapping straight and true-

to being configured for precise drilling, with a tap handle on as a secondary tool because the design allows it and why the heck not

Apparently people sometimes even machine the bases to permit easy attachment to a mill table or lathe bed/cross slide to enable stuff you'd normally have to move to another machine to do, like a poor man's live tooling or sth

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 8, 2017

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Volkerball posted:

More than that, it's lean manufacturing implemented correctly. Every machine shop I've ever been in has glaring, horrible flaws that cost the company god knows how much, and they simply don't have the skillset to identify and fix those problems. So poo poo just sits around and rots. It boils down to supply chain logistics and communication for the most part. American manufacturing is horrible at it, and I've watched companies throw way more money away over that than whatever you can gain from a couple seconds of cycle time by removing guards.

It isn't just manufacturing. Bad implementation due to poor planning and lack of communication basically describes all areas of American business. Even when a company has the people with the skills to identify and fix problems management usually tells them to blow.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It isn't just manufacturing. Bad implementation due to poor planning and lack of communication basically describes all areas of American business. Even when a company has the people with the skills to identify and fix problems management usually tells them to blow.

I don't doubt it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is also a consequence of the focus on quarterly profit results demanded by the stock market. There is always a cost to implementing change, and that means there's a disincentive to taking a short-term cost to improve a process that will start paying off in the longer term.

Of course that doesn't pertain to small metal shops or whatever, but it's a general drag on business efficiency that is systemic.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

It is also a consequence of the focus on quarterly profit results demanded by the stock market. There is always a cost to implementing change, and that means there's a disincentive to taking a short-term cost to improve a process that will start paying off in the longer term.

Of course that doesn't pertain to small metal shops or whatever, but it's a general drag on business efficiency that is systemic.

And the complete lack of respect for the blue collar guys doing the greasy bits from the executive "upper class" doesn't help matters.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
That's why we rise up and replace them. Use your trade to finance school and become the boss. I've gone machinist>engineer>project manager>team lead.

I love manipulating people as much as metal.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

A really big part of the japanese lean/kaizen/6s/toyota poo poo revolves around the fact that the big manufacturers don't/can't lay off employees like we do here. A US manufacturer trains a machinist and the first time the economy slumps and he's laid off said employee goes out and takes a job doing whatever. In japan the government instead pays the company to pay the employee to remain on. So they go out and do these paid lean events, or study a problem, all the while getting paid the equivalent of unemployment and still working. So the company pitches in a small portion of the wage while the government puts in the rest. Full employment, full wage, and 100% learning time.

Post WW2 people were afraid that an economic downturn would lead to riots in the streets in Japan. So they made the system like it is now, which lead to ever greater conglomerates. Which lead to an even higher trained workforce because of said laws.

Not saying this is the answer to all the ills, but it's a big cultural difference at a lot of different levels. Nothing I hate more than having the economy slow and laying good people off just to see them go off and flip burgers or something.

Edit : How you balance this so you don't prop up typewriter manufacturers or some other worthless industry is the big trick.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

That's why we rise up and replace them. Use your trade to finance school and become the boss. I've gone machinist>engineer>project manager>team lead.

I love manipulating people as much as metal.

The correct answer is to use your trade to finance the revolution and replace them by guillotine, comrade.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
a bunch of engineering students are in the shop doing basic machining stuff, making angle plates to get them going, and theyre trying to find the midpoint of a triangle side to situate a particular slot, and theyre all covering their blueprints with trig and poo poo and im like: hey. hey. did you even measure the stock you have to work with. it's shorter than the specified print dimension. machine the plate and then execute the advanced mathematical operation of: measure the actual final side length and divide by two
also: the Engineer Brain has a fascinating conception of how tolerances work irl

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Give them prints where the dimensions are all coming off different features. When they start bitching give them proper prints and tell them "don't be that guy".

Then give them prints where everything is a 4 place decimal and freak out no matter what they do. If they make everything +/- .0005 tell them it didn't need to be so precise and if they don't tell them it was important.

Then put a 1/16th radius in every corner of a deep pocket and yell some more.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Then stick an 8 ra surface finish just because it's a nice, round, number. Or even better, accidentally make it Rz.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Just be nice to them and teach them stuff without being condescending to them for all their book learnin'

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Just be nice to them and teach them stuff without being condescending to them for all their book learnin'

I was lucky enough to be both an engineer, and work in a small enough shop right out of university. So I had to walk onto the floor and explain to the machinist why I wasn't a dumbass. A lot to be said for a quality machinist who is helpful and not the old chip-covered grognard who thinks anyone that doesn't bath in cutting oil is inferior.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Yooper posted:

I was lucky enough to be both an engineer, and work in a small enough shop right out of university. So I had to walk onto the floor and explain to the machinist why I wasn't a dumbass. A lot to be said for a quality machinist who is helpful and not the old chip-covered grognard who thinks anyone that doesn't bath in cutting oil is inferior.

Same boat here. Worked as CNC programmer though college.

EDIT:
There was a machinist at my university who really sucked at anything other than a knee mill and had no drive to learn. Liked to talk down to students who had never been in a shop before but were Mech Es because of his own insecurities about his intelligence. Hated the guy and he was no fan of mine that I got free run of the shop when I needed it from his boss.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 10, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Ambrose Burnside posted:

also: the Engineer Brain has a fascinating conception of how tolerances work irl

You mean, it doesn't have one, surely?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

CarForumPoster posted:

i have a humanities degree from the same school they're all from so i'm contractually obligated to bust a certain quota of balls per session

e: but yeah to be clear i'm not -genuinely- an rear end in a top hat or arrogant to em, christ knows i havent earned the right. they're quick on the uptake and wanna be there and that's a big part of what makes working in that sort of environment productive and pleasant and rewarding. i just. gotta rib those u of t engineers, i gotta

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 10, 2017

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

mekilljoydammit posted:

You mean, it doesn't have one, surely?

I see this so, so much at work. Usually it's ridiculous GD&T stuff.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I'm always remind of my grandfather's term - engineers who've never touched a wrench. I don't really trust any engineer that doesn't have some idea what they're doing in a machine shop and or turning wrenches... I've seen some ridiculously hard to assemble abortions designed by people who neglected to think about a lot of details like that.

I'm an engineer, I should mention.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I have to make about a half-dozen matching HSS form tools for the lathe. We don't have any fancy wheel dressers at our disposal so I'd have to dress the wheel freehand. I'm concerned that as the wheel wears, the difference between the first and last tools might be unacceptably-large. Any tips for getting around this? All I can think of is making a positive of the pattern first in brass sheet stock and using it as a reference to re-dress the wheel properly as needed, but I've never tried dressing anything more complex than simple radii into a wheel so I'm not 100% on it going smoothly.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Could you turn the form in O1 and cut it in half and then harden it instead ? Then you just have to worry about your lathe skills.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Nah, the king of the tool crib wants all HSS tooling, so HSS is what it's gonna be. That was my first thought too. We wouldn't have enough toolholders for that style of form tool to accommodate more than one or two people working at a time so I think they're trying to avoid that bottleneck, which is fair enough.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 11, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

How complex is the tool geometry? There's a few ways, brass like you said, or you can make a generic radius diamond holder too.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Yooper posted:

How complex is the tool geometry? There's a few ways, brass like you said, or you can make a generic radius diamond holder too.

A chain of semicircles- sorta scalloped- so not too complex, but with that kind of regular geometry where irregularities/inconsistencies in the tool or wheel will be visually-obvious in what it makes. No compound curves or weirdness, so that diamond holder would probably work real well. Have any examples of the sort a couple dudes with modest skills could knock out in a few hours?

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 11, 2017

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
I have this little tiny (I'm guessing die cast aluminum) part that is the bolt to a ASG Dragunov SVDS airsoft gun. The little finger catch is uncomfortably small and all I do with it is plink at targets so I was thinking of taking off the powder coat and building it up with the tig and then machining it to something more comfy. The material is too thin to just hack it off and tap in a new handle. Any thoughts (or better ways)?

(click for bigger)

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
From someone who has modded a lot of airsoft guns for people - That's not Al, it's lovely zinc pot metal and an absolute pig to weld on if not impossible.

Your best bet might be to just build a cocking piece that fits over the original very snugly and then araldite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

From someone who has modded a lot of airsoft guns for people - That's not Al, it's lovely zinc pot metal and an absolute pig to weld on if not impossible.

Your best bet might be to just build a cocking piece that fits over the original very snugly and then araldite.

Good to know before I stripped off the powder coat, I thought it felt a little too heavy for what it was. That's a great idea thanks.