Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie
This has been my favorite thread in forever. Now that the misogynists have been cleared out and we're just sharing our not-lovely bathrooms, here's the reno my wife and I did to ours last year.

It's loud and funky, but it was a huge update over the 60s-era stained tile hiding a bunch of water damage and mold, and we'll be here for a while, so it's our jam.

Bonus cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ironcladfolly posted:

This has been my favorite thread in forever. Now that the misogynists have been cleared out and we're just sharing our not-lovely bathrooms, here's the reno my wife and I did to ours last year.

It's loud and funky, but it was a huge update over the 60s-era stained tile hiding a bunch of water damage and mold, and we'll be here for a while, so it's our jam.

Bonus cat

I like everything but the shower curtain

I loving hate shower curtains, they get so gross and are a bitch to clean, plus the inner curtain always used to blow inward when the hot water was on :(

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Ooh, I'll participate. This is the bathroom in our rental:

Those floors are laminate, not wood. Mostly I like our shower curtain. :3:
Oh and storage...

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WrenP-Complete posted:

Oh and storage...

:vince:

bathroom stuff storage is one of the little annoyances I never thought would be something I think about, but the cabinet under the sink and the stand above the toilet are overflowing with stuff.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've at least got a pretty good sized closet full of shelves for bathroom storage right outside the bathroom door. In a way I prefer it just outside the bathroom so there's never even a chance of moisture issues.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've seen that shower curtain before somewhere and it's so awesome.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

WrenP-Complete posted:

Ooh, I'll participate. This is the bathroom in our rental:

Those floors are laminate, not wood. Mostly I like our shower curtain. :3:

I love the hell out of this shower curtain.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shower curtains are fine. They're generally cheap and you just get a new one every few years. They aren't that hard to clean either. My friend has a huge periodic table for a shower curtain, it's cool.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Glad you guys like it! It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/European-Bathroom-Decoration-Luxurious-Pleasing/dp/B0193C3ZK2

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Do you put your shower curtains inside or outside of the shower?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Vargatron posted:

Best practice is to have two, a clear plastic liner that goes inside the tub, and a decorative one on the outside that catches any leaks or splashes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vargatron posted:

if you only have the one sheet, putting it outside gets your floor wet, and why have a shower curtain if thats something you're okay with

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Best practice is to have two, a clear plastic liner that goes inside the tub, and a decorative one on the outside that catches any leaks or splashes

See this is the stuff I should know. I don't know how I function as an adult.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

See this is the stuff I should know. I don't know how I function as an adult.

Surprised you didn't poll four people about how to position the shower curtain.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Best practise is to have baths and just stew in your own juices.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah, this. Our curtain rod has hooks on both sides — decoration and utility together at last!

Lifehack: If you're taking a bath, you can tuck the liner curtain on the outside so it doesn't get all drenched and tangled and feel like you're bathing with a weird jellyfish floating against your thigh.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The bottom of my tub is stained from the previous tenants and I don't know what I can do to clean it.

God I'd post pictures of my bathroom but I'm self conscious.

Tubchat itt.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vargatron posted:

The bottom of my tub is stained from the previous tenants and I don't know what I can do to clean it.

Tubchat itt.

CLR or something?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

ironcladfolly posted:

Bonus cat

So this is a weird question, but what is the name of the paint on your walls. I used to have a bedroom that colour, but can't find a proper match in stores.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I believe that's called "carrot baby poo poo"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Tubchat itt.

I clean ours with Oxyclean.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

Patrick Spens posted:

So this is a weird question, but what is the name of the paint on your walls. I used to have a bedroom that colour, but can't find a proper match in stores.

I'll see if I can pull up the exact colour chart name/code when I get home, but we just colour-matched it from one of the yellow tiles in that rainbow mosaic strip. I think it's something goldenrod or canary or paella.

EDIT: This is a bit more indicative of the true colour — less neon Cheeto and slightly more mellow orange-yellow

ironcladfolly fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 8, 2017

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

CLR or something?

Careful using CLR, if the tub has been resurfaced, CLR can eat through the re-surfacing (Ask me how I know). Vargatron, are you renting? What have you tried using?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Tubchat itt.

Depending on what is stained you could use -

- CLR or white vinegar will get rid of any calcium buildup that might be stained
- Bleach and a scrub brush

Don't mix any chemicals and make sure your bathroom is well ventilated.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks guys. I figured out the ventilation bit the hard way when I was Cloroxing the floor last week. It's a wonder I don't get myself killed.

I've been living by myself for like 4 years but I've recently decided to quit being a shitlord and actually maintain a clean house.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've used hydrogen peroxide based cleaners on grout with good success. I don't know what kind of death these fumes can cause if any.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

This is the bathroom we remodeled down to the studs in our old house

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the drawers under the sink. But why are those styles of sinks so popular over the last 5-10 years? Suddenly every reno has them. At least that one doesn't have a huge overhang that makes cleaning a pain.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Those drawers were great with some organizing baskets in there. Way more useful than the old crappy vanity that was in there. Don't know why they're so popular, but my wife likes them and it was relatively cheap from Ikea, so I was on board.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I like the drawers under the sink. But why are those styles of sinks so popular over the last 5-10 years? Suddenly every reno has them. At least that one doesn't have a huge overhang that makes cleaning a pain.

They're everywhere in restaurants too. I don't get the appeal. :shrug:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wilford Cutlery posted:

My ex and her bff are renting a condo and there's a socket with what looks like thick gauge speaker wire coming out of the wall. I wish I had a picture of it. It's right next to a closet so they just looped it up and stashed it in there, any idea what it might be?

The shithole I used to live in had random wires sticking out of random holes in the sheetrock. Apparently, the owner's dad wanted to install a security system, but the owner decided she didn't need it. After a year of staring at a foot of wire sticking out just above head level in every room, I went around and tucked them all back into the wall.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Clean everything with piranha solution.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't have a picture so I had to draw it but this is what my friend's sink look like. She bought a condo from a flipper who installed... this...

It's a large bathroom but 75% of the countertop of the large counter is taken up by this massive massive sink. You can use the bit right under the faucet but the rest I don't think has ever had water touch it. I could understand if the water came down on the other side and flowed down the ramp, but it's directly above the drain. Oh and the whole thing is polished concrete with rougher exposed aggregate on the outside so impossible to fully clean. Already like a year later the sink is staining and aging totally differently with the tiny area that gets wet being a different colour than the rest of the sink that remains bone dry.

What is the point of this design?? Why did someone think it was a good use of nearly the entire counter??

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Baronjutter posted:

What is the point of this design?? Why did someone think it was a good use of nearly the entire counter??

are you 100% sure that's not an autopsy table?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I don't have a picture so I had to draw it but this is what my friend's sink look like. She bought a condo from a flipper who installed... this...

It's a large bathroom but 75% of the countertop of the large counter is taken up by this massive massive sink. You can use the bit right under the faucet but the rest I don't think has ever had water touch it. I could understand if the water came down on the other side and flowed down the ramp, but it's directly above the drain. Oh and the whole thing is polished concrete with rougher exposed aggregate on the outside so impossible to fully clean. Already like a year later the sink is staining and aging totally differently with the tiny area that gets wet being a different colour than the rest of the sink that remains bone dry.

Kelp Me! posted:

I stayed in a hotel in Shenzhen years ago that had a pretty dope bathroom:

I didn't use the tub but the slightly raised floor in the shower was p cool and it was angled subtly enough that no water got out of the shower/bath area

also the ultra-long sink with the gentle incline was convenient for shaving but must be a nightmare for the staff to clean

(also it's China so the highest-tier suite cost about as much as a Holiday Inn room here, and the only place in the whole hotel with a No Smoking sign were the elevators but people smoked in there anyway)

e: also rainfall showerheads are amazing if you have the ability to put it in directly above you in the ceiling while also mounting a handheld head

The one I saw was polished/finished so no cleaning issues. It was neat-looking, but didn't really offer any convenience or anything. I'd imagine there's a reason/theorized use for it, but hell if I could figure it out in the 3 days I stayed at that hotel.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Baronjutter posted:

The faucet goes on the other side. They retrofitted a fancy sink into a standard setup (drain right under faucet). Or yoi could reverse it and move the drain.

If they were flipping it, they probably picked it up at the discount hardware place for a song and a dime OR it's covering some problem with the rest of the counter. Or both.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Relentless posted:

The faucet goes on the other side. They retrofitted a fancy sink into a standard setup (drain right under faucet). Or yoi could reverse it and move the drain.

If they were flipping it, they probably picked it up at the discount hardware place for a song and a dime OR it's covering some problem with the rest of the counter. Or both.

In other words, "Your mom just grabbed a stupid shaped sink at the Re-Store, and now I have to help her install it."

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Dango Bango posted:

They're everywhere in restaurants too. I don't get the appeal. :shrug:

You can't accidentally knock poo poo off the counter into the sink.

That's all I got.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SoundMonkey posted:

are you 100% sure that's not an autopsy table?

I was thinking "stadium-style piss trough," personally. At last, a residential sink designed for a household of sink-pissers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

fishing with the fam posted:

You can't accidentally knock poo poo off the counter into the sink.

That's all I got.

Sink closer to your face for spitting/washing?

• Locked thread