Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Man, Ma'al Drakar (the huge tiamat dragon) looks amazing, but I am kidn of glad I decided to pass on it because it's staggering huge and I have no idea how I would ever paint it, or where I would put it once I had assembled it. It's very cool though, and I really like how chunky it is. Sometimes big models are pretty spindly to make them work, but it looks like you could use this as an anchor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
At ReaperCon, one of the professional artists had won a resin Ma'al at the previous year's con, and had it mostly painted. It was pretty incredible. I agree, it's pretty intimidating. I've never painted anything like that huge.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 3, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

On the other hand, I did order it, and I am not regretting it! Between that, Creature Caster and the Heresy dragon I picked up, looks like there's a whole lotta dragon for me this year!

Not that I've actually gotten around to Kaladrax or Wyrmgear from Bones 1 yet...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You have to post pictures of it when you get it, especially once you get it assembled and painted. I have just never worked on anything so large, my biggest project has been a Lizardmen Stegadon, which is completely dwarfed by that guy. I did order one of the smaller dragons though, which I am pretty excited about getting into because I have never painted one before. :toot:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cross posting the smallest dragon :3:

NTRabbit posted:

:ducksiren: OATH COMPLETE :ducksiren:

A few days early too!

That's two hatchlings down, two to go - probably gonna do one as a blue frost wyrm, the other as a green forest dragon

e: Must've forgotten to crosspost the first one when I did it, it's painted up as a yellow sand dragon

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Ooh, I just finished that one last week. I really need to refine my lighting setup.

Might as well share one more. The week before, I finished Khael Stonekindle, Dwarf Wizard and still haven't taken proper photographs of it yet. There's only this one from my phone while I was waiting for the snow sections to cure.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Reeeeeeaaaaally needed to get painting again. While I don't yet have a proper studio set up yet after moving last summer, I got sick of not having my myriad hobbies available, so I grabbed a folding table and set up a temporary studio.

Then, I put paint on things. I'll be the first to admit that these are super duper rough, but I don't even care, I'm pretty sure I haven't painted in literal years, they're passable for tabletop filler, and at least I'm putting down paint again! Feels good.

2 down, eighty-seven-trillion to go.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That's one hell of a nice painting booth!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That's a nice setup! My painting studio is a basically a cigar box where I keep the paints/brushes I am using for my current project and put on the dining table once the kids go to bed. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It definitely is a nice view and arrangement, but that's probably where my gaming table will go in the long run, so I'll be ousting myself at some point. ;)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Wait, are you allowed to put a gaming table next to windows? I thought they were required to be in the basement or tucked into the dimmest corner possible.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well you still only play at night, see, so the status quo is maintained.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Since I guess I'm painting again, I've decided it's time to nut up and get over one of my biggest hurdles to date: large minis. I have a lot of bigguns that I want to paint, but every time I consider it, I chicken out for some reason.

Have finally said gently caress that, and have officially begun painting Hentai Parrot from Bones II.

Gotta settle on a color scheme though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, hey, I have one of those spray booths too. Got it as a Christmas present.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They're pretty solid, I don't regret the purchase at all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got a link to where to get one of those? Looks nice.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got you, bro.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looks like I'll be getting bones for my birthday.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bad Munki posted:

Looks like I'll be getting bones for my birthday.

Same :hfive:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It must be wonderful to have a birthday that floats between april and may.

This is the worst they've ever done on fulfillment, right? I mean I'm backing the next one for dragons either way, but it kinda shocks me they're this far off their estimates.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Nah. First one was even worse. They started shipping in March, but they didn't get the bulk of it done until around July or August, because they didn't wait for all the containers to arrive before shipping things out. This ended up being a logistical nightmare.

Assuming nothing horrible happens with customs, they'll be later than Bones II, but they should finish up earlier than Bones I did.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Looks like I'll get Bones for the next oath thread :toot:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spiderdrake posted:

It must be wonderful to have a birthday that floats between april and may.

I'm guessing wave 1 will be landing mid-late April.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The final shipment has reached customs. Only a matter of time now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

As someone in wave 8 or something, I'm glad they're just going to be churning it out and not putting weeks or months between waves. I hope. One of you first-wavers are grouchy!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm wave one and I'm all for them getting all the waves out as fast as they can. I don't need to have my stuff way before everyone else, I just want to have my stuff. I like that other people are getting cool stuff too.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

JackMann posted:

I'm wave one and I'm all for them getting all the waves out as fast as they can. I don't need to have my stuff way before everyone else, I just want to have my stuff. I like that other people are getting cool stuff too.

drat straight. Simultaneous fulfillment for everyone! (I just wish they'd give some idea how long it'll take to get everything sorted once customs releases the containers. "The shipments are in! Shipping to backers in just 6 short weeks!")

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

(I just wish they'd give some idea how long it'll take to get everything sorted once customs releases the containers. "The shipments are in! Shipping to backers in just 6 short weeks!")

You mean like exactly how they did in their last email? :haw:

The answer is: about a week after they have the containers on hand. The timeline once they get the containers is: 1) take a week to convert their factory for fulfillment, 2) shipping day one (minimal fulfillment, just working out the kinks and tuning), 3) full-bore fulfillment.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Expect shipping to go fairly quickly once they get things moving. They went fast last time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The final container is in, all systems go in one week!

Europe & Africa, and Australo-asia-pacific are going first, in wave order; means mine should be one of the first out the door. Those packages are going in bulk to an Australian and a UK distributor, I'd be shocked if it wasn't Aetherworks down here, they've made themselves the go-to for kickstarters.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I'm impressed at the planning they seem to have put in for the global shipping. Hopefully it works out as planned and means people are getting their stuff at the same time with less hassle and duties. Can't wait for the US fulfillment to start!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I can't fukken remember what wave I was or whatever. Or even if I got into this one at all.

Wat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All I know is that I am furious--FURIOUS--that other people aren't being forced to suffer until I have my wave 1 order in hand! This is unconscionable and I will be contacting the better business bureau!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean, given that the rest of the world has to go through other fulfillment centers, it seems likely US backers will still get our minis first. I don't see the issue.

Also, some fun stuff from Reaper's Facebook page:

Reaper Quarterly Painting Contest. Paint the female anti-paladin to maybe win some Reaper cash.

Not your speed? Then Paint Your Dragon for even larger prizes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I literally don't care, as long as I get them by fall, I'm happy, no matter the order. I's just poking fun at the asshats who routinely post that sort of crap at Reaper. And there is no shortage of 'em.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, people here are chill, but I am completely sure there is someone on Reaper's forums who is livid that I won't have to wait six months for my wave 8 fulfillment.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am angry at ROW people in general for being different from me.

I am excited for fulfillment to be done so I can get in on the next one.

They should spin off into themed KSes. A sci fi one, a WWII one, etc.

I have to say though, for retail purchases at least where you can get comperable models those Wizkids prepaints that came out recently seem to give them a good run for the money. Haven't painted one yet but the wizard set I picked up had nice crisp looking detail and was made of a less rubbery plastic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Has anyone else had problems putting together Nathavarr from Dragon's Don't Share? I've had to use liquid greenstuff as a gap filler on all the joins, but the left wing fits so poorly that I'm not sure that's even going to be enough; I've trimmed and gouged and scraped everything in the join I can think of, and still the shoulder end of the wing sticks out too far.

I didn't want to hack away so much that there was no contact left to glue, so I've gotten as near as I can, and at worst have about a 4mm join of greenstuff. (right wing needs another layer to fill in where it dried and shrank)

This is my oath for May, and gonna put it in the Reaper Dragon painting comp as well. I'm thinking of a yellow base under oil ghost tint, yet to decide on wing and horn colour.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 9, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm pretty sure I had to do some gapfilling/covering on Nathavarr too. If you're having trouble doing it with liquid greenstuff, might I suggest using actual greenstuff (or one of the similar epoxy putties) instead? From my brief experience trying the 'liquid' version, it was a decidedly inferior solution for most of the applications you'd want it for-- the convenience simply isn't worth the lowered effectiveness in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My body is ready

• Locked thread