Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://youtu.be/caVFyID9PTY
Exclusive footage of halo fest 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Real hurthling! posted:

https://youtu.be/caVFyID9PTY
Exclusive footage of halo fest 2017

I can't believe it's almost been 10 years since Halo 3.

I've had this cat helmet on my desk for almost an entire decade.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I can't believe it's almost been 10 years since Halo 3.

I've had this cat helmet on my desk for almost an entire decade.

I played so much Halo 3 and Reach, and then Halo 4 was real real bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll say it a million times, i'll buy the master chief collection if they put it on pc but basically everything after that idgaf about

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Video Game Jokes:

Q: Which FF6 character likes Skyrim the most?
A: Relm Arrowny

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Meme Emulator posted:

Video Game Jokes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What happened to Halo? It used to be a superhuge series but now nobody cares about Halo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Meme Emulator posted:

Video Game Jokes:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

What happened to Halo? It used to be a superhuge series but now nobody cares about Halo.

not that it was super amazing to start with but all the talent involved in making the first few left either through attrition or to start the studio that made destiny leaving behind a lump of new programmers capable only of regurgitating the same exact game year after year which eventually wore out its welcome

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Destiny is the new Halo

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

they kept making the games and get this: they sell a lot of copies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Halo got replaced by CoD and Bungie small didn't want to be tied to just Microsoft anymore. I think Halo 3 just being a slightly prettier Halo 2 also sort of weakened the series long enough for something to take it's place at a moment where it really needed to establish itself. It's still popular of course but it's just not the PS2 threatening behemoth it used to be

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

The world forgot about Halo after Killzone came out and wowed gamers with its rich backstory and gripping gameplay

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Better question: what happened to Resistance

I never had the consoles Resistance was on, were those games well received or popular or anything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FirstAidKite posted:

Better question: what happened to Resistance

I never had the consoles Resistance was on, were those games well received or popular or anything

i think they were just kind of okay but nobody ever cared that much about them

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think insomniac wanted to go all in on Ratchet & Clank instead (idk if that movie was a success)

But maybe their Spiderman game will be good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If spiderman is good im gonna be loving happy so im pretending its gonna be bad on no evidence to prevent hype

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

LawfulWaffle posted:

and unlike most games with stealth elements it doesn't give you piles of weapons you'll never use for fear of alerting people.

Totally agree and as I pointed before is the main thing that put me off Dishonored.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm sad that while ratchet & clank games continue to be good they stopped being funny

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
So, I want to get my girlfriend into video games since she's never played one before. I have a Wii, PS2, 3, and 4. Since she likes anime, I was thinking of Persona 4 or Xenoblade. I was also thinking maybe Super Mario Galaxy or OoT since they're super accessible. Any recommendations?

Also thinking of P5 or Tales of Berseria; however, I've yet to beat P5 and have never played a Tales game except for the very beginning of Xillia.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wario and Ruigi

holy goddamn how many weeks before I get to actually do poo poo in Persona 5 again? I played a bunch last night and it was like 10 straight days of "Who's Futaba?" "I dunno" "Oh there she is" "Oh ok" "Where's her palace?" "I dunno, let's try again tomorrow"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beelerzebub posted:

So, I want to get my girlfriend into video games since she's never played one before. I have a Wii, PS2, 3, and 4. Since she likes anime, I was thinking of Persona 4 or Xenoblade. I was also thinking maybe Super Mario Galaxy or OoT since they're super accessible. Any recommendations?

Also thinking of P5 or Tales of Berseria; however, I've yet to beat P5 and have never played a Tales game except for the very beginning of Xillia.

Katamari Damacy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Beelerzebub posted:

Kingdom Hearts.

Berseria and anything by Gust are also very anime, as is Dark Souls. Berseria also lets you play together in battles.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

Microsoft gambled on the idea that the brand name matters more than the people who actually made it good in the first place and lost. They created an entirely new studio to churn out Halo sequels after they lost Bungie and it turned out a bunch of mediocre unproven designers led to a mediocre product.

Meanwhile Sony focused on keeping the actual studios even if it mean losing the brands, so Crash Bandicoot faded into obscurity but Naughty Dog kept printing month with their new franchises.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Beelerzebub posted:

Rocket League

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Beelerzebub posted:

Disaster Report and/or Raw Danger for the PS2

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dark Souls 2 is arguably easier than any of the others in the series so start with that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Tales of berseria is an absolutely fantastic game and yeah, you have at least two people in your party almost the entire game and 2-4 player coop is a thing in every tales game. Really, most tales games outside of zestiria could be a good idea to try and get her into jrpgs because they all let you turn combat down to a really easy level and have fun, simple gameplay.

Zestiria being the exceotion because it has lots of needlessly complicated gameplay systems and its story is very shaky

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm tempted to pick up Tales of Berseria soon. How early can I make Velvet put on real clothes, and are costumes shown in cutscenes too?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm tempted to pick up Tales of Berseria soon. How early can I make Velvet put on real clothes, and are costumes shown in cutscenes too?

Almost immediately and yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

Almost immediately and yes.

Excellent.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can take a pair of sunglasses and make them as giant as the character and sling it on their back.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Alternatively, have you shown her any specific games to see if she might be interested in playing them? You could just ask her if something like persona or berseria seem like games she has any interest in giving a try.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Tales of Berseria the new "best Tales game"? For reference the last one I really loved was Xillia, but I haven't played Zestiria

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

precision posted:

Is Tales of Berseria the new "best Tales game"? For reference the last one I really loved was Xillia, but I haven't played Zestiria

Yes and it's good that you didn't play Zestiria.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

If you're going to go for a Persona game, I think Persona 5 might be the best one to start with for someone generally new to JRPGs, if only because of how smooth and snappy all the JRPG stuff is. Persona 4 is also a good option, though. That probably comes down to which general tone/themes/atmosphere she'd enjoy spending that much time in more.

Diving into the JRPG deep end might be a bit much for a first serious run at a video game, though. Zelda or Mario are probably good options, especially if she needs to get used to navigating 3D environments.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

it's. zestiria was a mess of ambitious, uh, the game tripping over itself multiple times, trying to patch together an open world and in-field battles and the end result was the least finished tales game ever made to the point that the the series producer got fired and the anime adaptation launched off in an entirely different direction and came out a far more complete story. berseria, on the other hand, is maybe the most complete tales game ever made and it's insanely good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nice. I'll probably go ahead and pick it up while it's on sale even though I know I won't get around to it for a while.

I started a new run of TLOU Remastered, I think this is my 6th time, though I've only beaten the game twice and never on the two highest difficulties.

I'm trying a gimmick of "everything must die". Like, I'll use some stealth but I'm killing every enemy that I can (excepting obviously the parts where enemies don't stop coming)

Even on Survivor, it's actually not that hard to play like this. Enemies killed with bullets will tend to drop bullets, and in the first half or so of the game you can get through most encounters with melee alone as long as you're careful. You get free health refills at designated story points so the damage you take isn't a big deal (you can also game the system by waiting to upgrade your max health until you're almost dead, because that's another free refill)

...I think TLOU is gonna become my Max Payne 3 (CJacobs joke)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell yeah. Becoming good at The Last of Us feels amazing, it's like you become a crouch-walking hobo of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Re: Halo, I remember that the hype for Halo 2 was through the roof and that the actual reaction when it was released was a sort of delayed-reaction "uh, okay, that was it?" Like obviously people didn't recoil in disgust from it or anything hyperbolic but I remember seeing that a lot of people were disappointed that there was a lot less of an emphasis on "the Covenant come to Earth and you have to fight them here" than the E3 trailers had led people to believe, the actual time you spend on Earth is in fact pretty minor. It also had optimization issues (real bad texture loading/pop-in problems in cutscenes) and it ended super abruptly on an unsatisfying cliffhanger. I don't think any of this was enough to "damage the brand" or whatever but even Bungie themselves admitted that Halo 2 was kind of sub-par and they had a number of regrets.

• Locked thread