Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

just wait until I start Opt'ing into terminus

Helm trip report: didn't go because my dog cut her foot and i had to take her to the vet

:ohdear: get well pupper. On a related note I'm trying to find space for a clique somewhere. But it is quite hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Here's the Modern pile I'm going to try out in side events at GP Richmond when I'm not in Legacy Challenges

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/636813#paper

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 5, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

Here's the Modern pile I'm going to try out in side events at GP Richmond when I'm not in Legacy Challenges

Why Baby Jace in the board? Seems like a weird include alongside Snapcaster.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is the green splash for Lumbering Falls really better than just using Celestial Collonnade and more basics?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

standard.deviant posted:

Is the green splash for Lumbering Falls really better than just using Celestial Collonnade and more basics?

The cheaper activation cost seems relevant since you're going to blow your own lands up occasionally with restore balance. I still don't think it's worth the splash though.

Deck looks sweet but it needs a faster wincon imo

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So after some more testing, in particular against lists with decay, moat is back in the RIP/Helm list. https://deckbox.org/sets/1676719

Energy field was so bad vs bug that a non-decayable lock piece other than humility was needed to live.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

C-Euro posted:

Why Baby Jace in the board? Seems like a weird include alongside Snapcaster.

Snaps are just flipjace 5-6. Jace lets you cast visions and balance out if your yard with as foretold.

Also Lumbering falls are splashed for hexproof since there's zero creatures main. Less Mana activation is also relevant, but it is mainly a way to blank your opponent's removal g1

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 5, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

Snaps are just flipjace 5-6. Jace lets you cast visions and balance out if your yard with as foretold.

Does the phrase "mana cost" in As Foretold let you do something like that? I'm honestly not sure if that's how it works, the wording is general enough that it should but it also doesn't line up with wording that they've used for other alternate cost effects in the past (like trying to Snapcast a Trap card for its trap cost)

Or maybe it's the "pay 0" part?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Also Lumbering falls are splashed for hexproof since there's zero creatures main. Less Mana activation is also relevant, but it is mainly a way to blank your opponent's removal g1

Would it not be better to stick to a purely white win-con? Something like the white theros god who will never be a creature, but makes creatures for you with your excess mana? And who cares if they kill 1 token, or even a few. Youve already got elspeth tokens. Or something like Luminarch Ascension, which should be live relatively fast. Or even Metallurgic Summonings :swoon: That would be amazing. If you want to splash red instead of green you get the best token producing non-creature, Assemble the Legion, and it only requires 1 red, not the effective GG your manland does.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

Would it not be better to stick to a purely white win-con? Something like the white theros god who will never be a creature, but makes creatures for you with your excess mana? And who cares if they kill 1 token, or even a few. Youve already got elspeth tokens. Or something like Luminarch Ascension, which should be live relatively fast. Or even Metallurgic Summonings :swoon: That would be amazing. If you want to splash red instead of green you get the best token producing non-creature, Assemble the Legion, and it only requires 1 red, not the effective GG your manland does.

Usually a white mana-dump wincon is white suns zenith. Efficient and better in decks that don't tap out.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Usually a white mana-dump wincon is white suns zenith. Efficient and better in decks that don't tap out.

Secure the wastes as well I suppose. though I'm a fan of grinding them out with 1 card you play then can pump mana into over time.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

C-Euro posted:

Does the phrase "mana cost" in As Foretold let you do something like that? I'm honestly not sure if that's how it works, the wording is general enough that it should but it also doesn't line up with wording that they've used for other alternate cost effects in the past (like trying to Snapcast a Trap card for its trap cost)

To me it looks like they're retemplating "without paying its Mana cost" as pay {0} instead.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Play Assemble the Legion every chance you get.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Star Man posted:

That card didn't so much work for me in RTR-THS standard

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Star Man posted:

I have cast it in legacy and used it to win many (at least two) games. It was in a goofy list though. I was playing 4 blood moons, 4 moats, chalices, 3 assemble the legion, and 2 eldrazi monument

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

Snapcaster Mage gives a card Flashback, and you have to pay the card's flashback cost (not its mana cost or any other alternative costs) to actually cast it from your graveyard.

Flip Jace just lets you cast a card from your graveyard. You can totally pay alternate costs if you want to.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

kirtar posted:

That card didn't so much work for me in RTR-THS standard

I played a copy in fog gates bc it dodged the pithing needles that hit all my other wincons

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Death Bot posted:

I played a copy in fog gates bc it dodged the pithing needles that hit all my other wincons

That's actually the original reason I was playing it, but it also worked really well in UWR control because mono B basically couldn't do anything about it (nobody played illness in the ranks).

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

So after some more testing, in particular against lists with decay, moat is back in the RIP/Helm list. https://deckbox.org/sets/1676719

Energy field was so bad vs bug that a non-decayable lock piece other than humility was needed to live.

Surprised that Moat would be good against Delver or is this a non-Delver BUG?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

Surprised that Moat would be good against Delver or is this a non-Delver BUG?

Anything that can decay energy field. You often end up with a bunch of random 1/1s because of humility, and they just eot decay energy field and swing in for a bunch

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
4 Devoted Druid
2 Eternal Witness
2 Forest
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Noble Hierarch
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Razorverge Thicket
3 Renegade Rallier
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
2 Temple Garden
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Viscera Seer
4 Vizier of Remedies
2 Voice of Resurgence
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

2 Abrupt Decay
1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Courser of Kruphix
2 Path to Exile
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tidehollow Sculler
3 Tireless Tracker

I brought this unconventional build of Abzan Company to FNM and went 4-1. Notable inclusions are the new infinite mana combo with Rhonas as the mana sink and four main deck ghost quarters. I know cutting Gavony Township is heresy, but I wanted to improve the Tron matchup since it's common at my shop, and I thought that repeated ghost quartering with renegade rallier could be a strong line against some of the greedy manabases running around.

I won four goldfishy matchups (elves, affinity, the mirror, and infect) and lost to Lantern. The deck is noticeably quicker and more consistent with the new combo; it can hang with any of the fastest decks in the format like Storm. I wish I could have seen how it performed against a conventional midrange or control deck, but overall I'm really excited about where Company goes from here.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I actually added selfless spirit to help my tron matchup to give me insurance vs o stone, it forces them to find Ugin instead which is beatable with instant speed interaction. I really want to test Rhonas vs walking ballista but I was pretty impressed with ballista last week. I assumed rhonas would be better but ballista can't be pathed or hit by karn/ugin.

Agreed about the deck being more consistent and faster, I wasn't running as much new combo as you but I really think being able to use the new combo has taken the deck up a little bit.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
This looks like a fun take on blue tron:

Land (24)
4x Eldrazi Temple
1x Ghost Quarter
2x Halimar Depths
5x Island
4x Urza's Mine
4x Urza's Power Plant
4x Urza's Tower

Artifact (4)
4x Expedition Map

Planeswalker (2)
2x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Creature (13)
4x Conduit of Ruin
1x Platinum Angel
2x Spellskite
4x Thought-Knot Seer
2x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Instant (15)
4x Anticipate
3x Condescend
4x Cyclonic Rift
4x Remand

Sorcery (2)
2x All Is Dust

Sideboard (15)
4x Chalice of the Void
1x Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
2x Grafdigger's Cage
2x Hurkyl's Recall
2x Pithing Needle
2x Relic of Progenitus
2x Surgical Extraction

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Star Man posted:

That kind of growth can be a really odd thing in Magic. If your opponent can't set the pace of the game, they lose.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Thought from playing L0cke's RIP/Helm deck on the weekend:

- It has less card selection than a normal combo deck, and a lot of one-ofs that may not be the one-of you're looking for. 3rd Enlightened Tutor over the Standstill may be better, Standstill requires you to already have a lock or be ahead in some way, and if you are you don't need the extra 3 cards as badly.
- I lost a LOT of games to not having Humility/Moat in the main.
- Rather than jamming the combo, most of my games were won by establishing some kind of lock (RIP/Field, Humility/Moat) and then playing draw-go until I drew the matching wincon (Helm/Keranos).
- Could the deck handle a Karakas? Extra protection for Keranos and another soft-lock with Clique, and opens up running a Venser for the same reason.
- Is Cast Out an option over Detention Sphere? Flash + Cycling are both super relevant, and maybe worth making the card a bit more expensive (and non-blue).

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Thought from playing L0cke's RIP/Helm deck on the weekend:

- It has less card selection than a normal combo deck, and a lot of one-ofs that may not be the one-of you're looking for. 3rd Enlightened Tutor over the Standstill may be better, Standstill requires you to already have a lock or be ahead in some way, and if you are you don't need the extra 3 cards as badly.
- I lost a LOT of games to not having Humility/Moat in the main.
- Rather than jamming the combo, most of my games were won by establishing some kind of lock (RIP/Field, Humility/Moat) and then playing draw-go until I drew the matching wincon (Helm/Keranos).
- Could the deck handle a Karakas? Extra protection for Keranos and another soft-lock with Clique, and opens up running a Venser for the same reason.
- Is Cast Out an option over Detention Sphere? Flash + Cycling are both super relevant, and maybe worth making the card a bit more expensive (and non-blue).

Keranos is never a creature, so karakas can never help you, and its interaction with 1 clique isnt enough to keep it. I think venser/karakas has always been bad, and I do not want to play it, especially not in this style of deck. Standstill is bad and we were just trying it. It should be the 4th preordain. Cast out is a possibility, but its kinda expensive.

e: I think if you want moat/humility main you have to cut mentor. And in a 12 cantrip deck, mentor is insane and gets a lot of free wins.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 8, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I know we have a few Merfolk players here, any thoughts on this UG Fish list I found on MTGGoldfish?-

3 Breeding Pool
1 Cold-Eyed Selkie
3 Collected Company
4 Flooded Strand
2 Hallowed Fountain
4 Harbinger of the Tides
4 Island
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
4 Merrow Reejerey
4 Mutavault
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Phantasmal Image
2 Polluted Delta
4 Silvergill Adept
4 Spreading Seas
2 Vapor Snag
2 Vendilion Clique
2 Wanderwine Hub

//Sideboard
3 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
2 Kor Firewalker
3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Rest in Peace
2 Rhox War Monk
2 Stony Silence

Don't know if it does enough with green to warrant the splash, but CoCo is a sweet card.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I play fish regularly, or at least did up until February when I I had to stop playing MTG in general for a while (just started up again). I've never played UG Fish but I've tried the UW version a few times and I always come home to mono U. The mana base is a lot easier and splashing misses one of the biggest perks of playing fish, namely that you don't lose life from fetches and shocks. Coco is a sweet card but I think if you want to play it you're much better served playing bant company or spirits.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've been playing a good amount of competitive 1v1 EDH on MTGO.

It seems like there's no middle ground between "people who complain that I'm playing super scary banned commander Oloro", and "leovold opponents who strip mine lock me turn 2"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I've been playing a good amount of competitive 1v1 EDH on MTGO.

It seems like there's no middle ground between "people who complain that I'm playing super scary banned commander Oloro", and "leovold opponents who strip mine lock me turn 2"

Yeah, the format is pretty bad from what I've seen. The ban list is an absolute joke.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah, the format is pretty bad from what I've seen. The ban list is an absolute joke.

I expect that over the next couple months we're just going to see the reasons that the French banlist is what it is, so perhaps that would have been a better starting point.

I don't hate it as it is now, or I wouldn't be putting time into it, but I think that Leovold, Strip Mine and Tasigur probably all have to go. Possibly Oloro; he's not a problem at present because the meta is mostly decks that don't give a gently caress about life total, but if that changes then he's gonna be an issue as well.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I know literal nothing about 1v1 commander but Oloro seems like he just automatically beats aggro barring some weirdo card like Rain of Gore that nobody is going to play and which probably won't resolve anyway. Vial Smasher definitely needs to go from what I've seen on MTGO. Honestly I feel like they took the French list, made some terrible changes, and pretended they made their own list. But yeah eventually they'll end up with, or close to, the French list.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

is gaea cradle still banned

because if it is that's fuckin bullshit

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Alright guys. I've got two weeks to pick a deck and jam as many mtgo leagues as possible before SCG Baltimore (modern)

Assuming cost and collection aren't prohibitive, what would you pack?

I'm considering a Deaths Shadow variant obviously, but I expect everyone coming gunning to beat it.

Considering Abzan combo with Devoted Druid, UW Control, Lantern (leaning hard away from this as I expect burn and Tron to be really well represented, but it is what I have the most seat time with).

But anything is on the table as far as I'm concerned.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

is gaea cradle still banned

because if it is that's fuckin bullshit

yup. Lol that cradle is somehow OP and strip mine is fine

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

yup. Lol that cradle is somehow OP and strip mine is fine

I agree.

Ban them both in legacy!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yo the EDH thread is thataway

Walked posted:

Alright guys. I've got two weeks to pick a deck and jam as many mtgo leagues as possible before SCG Baltimore (modern)

I'm considering a Deaths Shadow variant obviously, but I expect everyone coming gunning to beat it.

Considering Abzan combo with Devoted Druid, UW Control, Lantern (leaning hard away from this as I expect burn and Tron to be really well represented, but it is what I have the most seat time with).

Normally I'd say to play with whatever you're most experienced with but if you think you're going to run into a lot of bad matchups as Lantern then maybe don't. You also have Death's Shadow lists with MD artifact hate in K-Command.

I would be super-interested to see a goon tourney report for UW Control, I've been watching that deck out of the corner of my eye in recent months and would love to see how it does in an actual event. You could even get extra-spicy and run As Foretold which I know some people are trying out in control lists.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Walked posted:

Abzan company with the new combo is a fantastic deck, but it takes a lot of reps to get comfortable with it and it's a pain to play on MTGO.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Walked posted:

play storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This is always correct btw