Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Inheritance tax is a weird one because people get worked up about the idea of being able to pass something along to 'their children' but the average person inherits at something like in the 50-60 age bracket. Value from rich parents is passed on to you while they are alive.

The things people want to inherit are property

No? My parents sold up the family home when they retired, downsized and moved up north (buying a second house as buy-to-let next to theirs, boo hiss). I didn't get a payout when that happened and I wouldn't expect one. If I get £££ from them it'll be in their wills.

Edit: 67AD, death of St. Paul the Apostle, probably ordered beheaded by Nero. Frankly I think he was dodgy as gently caress, so good riddance, nice job Imperipoos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I have nothing to go on but a hunch, but I suspect that when biographies are written of these days Watson will come out quite well as someone working desperately behind the scenes to hold the party together.

Watson is a thundercunt

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Remember when we thought Watson was good when he was pissing off Murdoch?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alchenar posted:

I have nothing to go on but a hunch, but I suspect that when biographies are written of these days Watson will come out quite well as someone working desperately behind the scenes to hold the party together.

Maybe he is. I could believe it for the first 8 or 9 months of Corbyn's term as leader. Certainly not the impression he's given for the past year though. His falling out with one of the biggest backers of the party (Unite might be the biggest? can't be arsed looking it up right now) and yelling about conspiracies to takeover the Labour Party certainly doesn't seem to imply the work of a steady hand holding the ship together though. Unless you view "holding the party together" & "getting rid of the twice democratically elected leader" as compatible.

Anyway, have some top banter from the Daily Express

https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/861619444543614977

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Gonzo McFee posted:

If he'd kept treating the press as a bigger enemy than Corbyn then he, Corbyn and the Labour Party in general would be doing much better.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

namesake posted:

If he'd kept treating the press as a bigger enemy than Corbyn then he, Corbyn and the Labour Party in general would be doing much better.

Everyone thought he'd be this great attack dog for Corbyn, able to go for the throat in a way the nice jam man wouuldn't. Instead he bit his owner, pissed himself, then ran into the corner of the bedroom to hide.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

winegums posted:

good news is that Labour's attempts to reach the youth vote are going in a much bolder direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s67JD3bKW0U

lolin

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Maybe he is. I could believe it for the first 8 or 9 months of Corbyn's term as leader. Certainly not the impression he's given for the past year though. His falling out with one of the biggest backers of the party (Unite might be the biggest? can't be arsed looking it up right now) and yelling about conspiracies to takeover the Labour Party certainly doesn't seem to imply the work of a steady hand holding the ship together though. Unless you view "holding the party together" & "getting rid of the twice democratically elected leader" as compatible.

I think the thing we'll never really know until people are writing their memoirs is how close people came to resigning the whip en masse (or conversely, how close labour came to mandatory reselection).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

assumption
əˈsʌm(p)ʃ(ə)n
noun
a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Have to say I'm kind of shocked that the media are playing Danzcuk resignation as straight as they are.

Like, he leched on a 17 year old staffer and his wife came out about his abuse. Are the press really low enough to try and rehabilitate that so long as it looks bad for Corbyn?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gonzo McFee posted:

People mostly thought he was good because he played video games, the Murdoch stuff came later

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Are the press really low enough to try and rehabilitate that so long as it looks bad for Corbyn?

does that need answering

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alchenar posted:

I think the thing we'll never really know until people are writing their memoirs is how close people came to resigning the whip en masse (or conversely, how close labour came to mandatory reselection).

Well yes, I'm sure that's broadly how he'll paint it himself but unless you think the only part of the Labour Party that matters is the MPs then it seems that's a stretch based on what we do know.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Have to say I'm kind of shocked that the media are playing Danzcuk resignation as straight as they are.

Like, he leched on a 17 year old staffer and his wife came out about his abuse. Are the press really low enough to try and rehabilitate that so long as it looks bad for Corbyn?

Assume this is a rhetorical question, but hey, will answer it anyway.

Yes, of course. The Express are claiming the resignation of a deselected MP is a huge blow to Corbyn rather than the last desperate swing of frustration for a horrible shithead before he slinks off to, presumably, some cushy directorship somewhere, maybe an anti-immigration group, or perhaps a column for The Sun or The Star.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 8, 2017

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Haha gently caress off nonce

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

The thing is that Cooper hasn't exactly vanished away, she's just not participating in the national campaign and instead is getting friendly journo's to write copy for her at a more regional level. See for example Richard Heller's piece in the yorkshire post which is pretty much "Cooper is our only hope and then only if every labour backbencher stabs Corbyn in the back on Thursday."

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...do-it-1-8527482

This could just win 'worst idea ever'. I especially like the part where he says all Cooper needs to do to win over Labour members after launching the worst-timed coup against Corbyn possible is 'have an early stand-up row with Tony Blair'. Amazing.

Paxman posted:

So if we assume Corbyn will agree to resign, which isn't certain, the question of when he actually stands down is important because it determines whether the right/centre, ie Tom Watson, have the leadership for a bit.

If Watson was ever in charge his first order of business would be to go back to the electoral college system of electing a leader. He's already said as much. That would instantly give the MPs almost total power to elect whoever they wanted without interference from the members. Don't think Corbyn would be that stupid.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The reason for why Corbyn is bad changes weekly. Now it's outright "AAAARGGG COMMUNISM!". It used to be he was simply a tired granddad in over his head. Now he's an existential threat again like that time Cameron said he was a threat to national security.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Who will fashy the meme frog be supporting in the general?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

The reason for why Corbyn is bad changes weekly. Now it's outright "AAAARGGG COMMUNISM!". It used to be he was simply a tired granddad in over his head. Now he's an existential threat again like that time Cameron said he was a threat to national security.

Schrödinger's Corbyn. He's in a superposition of incompetent and lethally effective.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

May.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

I have some bad news friend

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the thing, I don't think May's brand of dismal British fascism appeals to the alt-Right, and her anti internets stance certainly doesn't go down well. They want a charismatic flashy leader who will gloat about hurting immigrants, not just do it in secret and look miserable.

Nuttall is looking increasingly irrelevant. They have no horse, because it's already the establishment. :confuoot:

:feelsgood:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

MikeCrotch posted:

"You can't fire me, I quit!!!"

Lol Danczuk's desperately been trying to get fired for yonks, so he can play the martyr and big up his inevitable subsequent career as a shithead newspaper columnist.
Corbyn has very sensibly refused to do so, forcing him to slink off under his own steam and spoil his magnificent exit.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

feedmegin posted:

No? My parents sold up the family home when they retired, downsized and moved up north (buying a second house as buy-to-let next to theirs, boo hiss). I didn't get a payout when that happened and I wouldn't expect one. If I get £££ from them it'll be in their wills.
You and your parents are not necessarily representative, even of families with enough wealth to pass down meaningful assets. The "bank of mum and dad" is now the ninth largest mortgage lender in the country, which clearly shows that a lot of well to do parents are directly transferring cash to their kids long before death.

quote:

Parents are predicted to lend more than £6.5bn this year to help their children get on the property ladder as first-time buyers continue to struggle to afford homes.
This is a 30% increase on the £5bn loaned in 2016, according to research from Legal & General and economics consultancy Cebr, and means parents will be involved in more than 25% of UK property transactions.
The so-called bank of mum and dad will help fund property purchases worth about £75bn in 2017, the report says, including deposits for more than 298,000 mortgages. The £6.5bn figure is similar to the amount lent by the country’s ninth-biggest mortgage lender, Yorkshire Building Society, according to L&G.
Parental assistance is expected to have risen from an average of £17,000 in 2016 to £21,600 this year. Millennials are the biggest recipients, with 79% of the funding going to people under 30.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 8, 2017

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Liking this approach:
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/861653219780562945

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem with this whole hospital parking thing is that a great many of our hospitals are trusts or the parking is controlled by the council. I'm not sure how government could do anything about it but pay the trusts or the councils the money that they would lose, and it wouldn't help the other issue, and that's that when they were free you couldn't get a parking spot in many hospitals because commuters would use them as free parking while they were at work or shopping, so they were always full from 8:30-5:30.

The practical and sensible solution is to make sure there are enough bus routes. But I can tell you from experience that that won't work, because I worked in a hospital with an incredibly good bus service linked to every corner of the city, and people still couldn't bare to leave their precious cars at home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The advantage of camera controlled parking nowadays means you could quite easily keep track of who parks there all day every day.

Or introduce a short stay unless you register your numberplate at the hospital reception.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/BrianElects/status/861656944020422656

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

You and your parents are not necessarily representative, even of families with enough wealth to pass down meaningful assets. The "bank of mum and dad" is now the ninth largest mortgage lender in the country, which clearly shows that a lot of well to do parents are directly transferring cash to their kids long before death.

Indeed. My parents are a bit more progressive. They sold their home and the land to a developer who built three smaller properties on the land. They then bought one of the smaller homes and passed the extra cash to the three of us so we could reinvest it in the UK's overheated housing market ftw

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

learnincurve posted:

The problem with this whole hospital parking thing is that a great many of our hospitals are trusts or the parking is controlled by the council. I'm not sure how government could do anything about it but pay the trusts or the councils the money that they would lose, and it wouldn't help the other issue, and that's that when they were free you couldn't get a parking spot in many hospitals because commuters would use them as free parking while they were at work or shopping, so they were always full from 8:30-5:30.

The practical and sensible solution is to make sure there are enough bus routes. But I can tell you from experience that that won't work, because I worked in a hospital with an incredibly good bus service linked to every corner of the city, and people still couldn't bare to leave their precious cars at home.

Park up, go into the hospital, tell them who you're visiting/why you're there at reception and get your parking validated for the day.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
QA Hospital in Portsmouth is particularly bad for parking, especially in the afternoons

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do you know how big even a average sized NHS hospital car park is or just how many people use them a day? Holy poo poo, you would be queuing for an hour for one of the big multi story car parks in Sheffield. That's without going into the fact that a lot of hospitals have automated receptions with one or two real people on the counters. Putting in more reception desks would mean re-renovating (at about 1 million a pop) all those lobby areas that just got converted into automated systems. The obvious come back would be to get it stamped on the wards, but then you would have people queuing on the wards at visiting time. Plus there would be the monumental cost of having everything linked up to some sort of internal parking validation system.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
A blue Wales, what a time to be alive.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/861598642158874625

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

learnincurve posted:

Do you know how big even a average sized NHS hospital car park is or just how many people use them a day? Holy poo poo, you would be queuing for an hour for one of the big multi story car parks in Sheffield. That's without going into the fact that a lot of hospitals have automated receptions with one or two real people on the counters. Putting in more reception desks would mean re-renovating (at about 1 million a pop) all those lobby areas that just got converted into automated systems. The obvious come back would be to get it stamped on the wards, but then you would have people queuing on the wards at visiting time. Plus there would be the monumental cost of having everything linked up to some sort of internal parking validation system.

Cool then making the parking free for everyone is the best solution and still makes more sense than charging.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Park up, go into the hospital, tell them who you're visiting/why you're there at reception and get your parking validated for the day.

That's all well and good but in lots of hospitals there just isn't enough parking for all the staff, outpatients and visitors. It's not always random people who want to pop in to avail themselves of lovely hospital Starbucks are taking all the spaces. Depends where the hospital is though. Mine is near nothing but residential streets.

My local hospital is starting a park and ride, subsidised and convenient public transport is certainly a good option.

I know from personal experience though that sometimes you just need to park your own car, for example when transporting a vomiting, in agony diabetic to a&e because waiting for an ambulance is taking too long.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Wales voted for Brexit. People aren't voting for the Conservative party. They're voting for the Theresa May Brexit Government.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

goon meet?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Wales voted for Brexit. People aren't voting for the Conservative party. They're voting for the Theresa May Brexit Government.
You have to wonder if this is a gateway drug, though, the way UKIP seems to have been a gateway drug to Toryism for a bunch of former Labour voters.

The combination of Brexit and the thousand year Tory reich is going to suck so bad. Tempted to pick a sunny EU country and move there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Looke posted:

goon meet?

Kind of irresponsible of Corbyn to be leaving drinks around like that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ed Miliband was criticised for having a 'shopping list manifesto' but '4 bank holidays and free car parking thrown in' feels like a coupon book manifesto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Ed Miliband was criticised for having a 'shopping list manifesto' but '4 bank holidays and free car parking thrown in' feels like a coupon book manifesto.

You should go work for the guardian, you'd fit right in.

• Locked thread