Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Mark's WEC crash in Brazil a few years back was when he began to think enough was enough.

A part of me will always be angry at Lotus for loving up Alesi's only Indy start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Webber participates in the 500, his car inexplicably takes flight, plows into the Snake Pit, Daily Mail gets to run a headline reading "Zedd's Dead, Baby." I think it's best for everyone if he sticks to retirement.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Plus he's a Bogan so there's risk of him drinking milk out of his boot. I certainly don't want to see that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Norns posted:

Plus he's a Bogan so there's risk of him drinking milk out of his boot. I certainly don't want to see that.

I actually extremely want to see that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

I actually extremely want to see that

:same:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You people are disgusting

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

You people are disgusting

Lose a race to a boring Finn about it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

Lose a race to a boring Finn about it.

loving hate Sochi. Garbage track...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If Kimi won, everyone would be all "HOLY poo poo, KIMI WON! :w00t:"

e: dammit, this is Indy, not F1. F1 chat please return to its proper thread for the time being.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

If Kimi won, everyone would be all "HOLY poo poo, KIMI WON! :w00t:"

e: dammit, this is Indy, not F1. F1 chat please return to its proper thread for the time being.

Sorry. Busy talking about cocane and laying cable around the world in there.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I wasn't aware of a turbine powered Indycar. My life has improved from hearing this thing.

https://youtu.be/2nuyww9-gYM

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They had one running somewhere around pace speed at Phoenix before the race. At low speeds, it was easily the quietest car by far.

Wish they would've wound it up, though.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I now have three different suites lined up for carb day.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Norns posted:

I wasn't aware of a turbine powered Indycar. My life has improved from hearing this thing.

I remember the last time I was at the IMS Museum they had an entire exhibit dedicated to the turbine era. There should most definitely be a goonmeet 500 weekend at the IMS Museum

devmd01 posted:

I now have three different suites lined up for carb day.

Any of them Pagoda suites?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Does anyone else find it absolutely hilarious that Mark Miles has to be CEO of both a race track and a baking powder company?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

Does anyone else find it absolutely hilarious that Mark Miles has to be CEO of both a race track and a baking powder company?

It's like how the President of France is also co-ruler of Andorra.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

I mean said baking powder company kinda saved the Speedway in a lot of aspects.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Here we go again:

quote:

Mark Miles, CEO of IndyCar’s parent company Hulman & Company, says there are ongoing talks between IndyCar and Chinese group Mitime about not only a new race but also developing motorsports in China.

There have been proposed Chinese races for Champ Car and IndyCar over the past dozen years, most recently the so-called Beijing 600 to be held on a street course in the city’s Fengtai district.

However, Miles told Motorsport.com that the Mitime discussions are on a different level, but it would be “very premature” to say they are near finalized, and he added that the race may not happen until 2019.

More at https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/china-mexico-among-four-possible-new-indycar-races-903145/

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
Bring back Fontana.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Agreed and/or same.

I'm really hoping the Calgary race comes together, since I have crash space with some friends up there, which would make the overall weekend cost super affordable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The fact that new races are being discussed gives me comfort for the future of the series :unsmith:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Why do they keep trying to try to make this race happen?

How many North American venues would bring the crowds, and bring a permanent spot on the calender versus trying to make this "Work"?

Not to mention there's like...3 places outside of North America that would be a success for IndyCar. I mean at this point, wouldn't it be better to beg Honda,Firestone to run a race in Japan? Try to find a way to parlay the success of Dixon, Power, and (even Briscoe) to run Australia? Get on your hands and knees to run Interlagos?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why do they keep trying to try to make this race happen?

How many North American venues would bring the crowds, and bring a permanent spot on the calender versus trying to make this "Work"?

Not to mention there's like...3 places outside of North America that would be a success for IndyCar. I mean at this point, wouldn't it be better to beg Honda,Firestone to run a race in Japan? Try to find a way to parlay the success of Dixon, Power, and (even Briscoe) to run Australia? Get on your hands and knees to run Interlagos?

F1 wouldn't dare let Indy run at one of its tracks outside of testing. Say what you want about COTA, but Indy racing there would be cool. Maybe a two week Texas double header. :shrug:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

they want to get paid to run somewhere in the offseason. if it's enough money, teams are all for it even if nobody watches. past problems with china have been, well, they didn't pay.

with recent events, I imagine they won't put it on the schedule until the last check clears.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Yeah that race isn't happening.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
A street race in China, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QMpxVk5c28

Nice, uh, hairpin.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

WindyMan posted:

Nice, uh, hairpin.

something something Long Beach something

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah I love AVUS.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tony owns:

https://twitter.com/DaveFurst/status/861758852450193409

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh this Monterrey track is stinkarooni. Also I question Ganassi's firing of Vasser in favour of Minassian.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 9, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Legit trying not to laugh my rear end off in my cubicle about this. TK is the loving best.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Speaking of TK, Pigot's ride with Juncos for the 500 is confirmed, the number and green is reminiscent of the TK 7-11 days.

https://twitter.com/SpencerPigot/status/861978099600289793

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I have already watched this 10 times.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Speaking of TK, Pigot's ride with Juncos for the 500 is confirmed, the number and green is reminiscent of the TK 7-11 days.

https://twitter.com/SpencerPigot/status/861978099600289793

Nice.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I had no idea I needed to hear TK say "pooping your pants," but I did, and I'm glad.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

wicka posted:

I had no idea I needed to hear TK say "pooping your pants," but I did, and I'm glad.

I was quite entertained at the way he said "box."

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

im the hosts bare ankles

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

im the hosts bare ankles

Showing your Achilles? Soft move.

I would love Indy to come back but it would have to be Motegi and would inevitably be an awful drive to get up there. But I would go.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/140323-saavedra-confirmed-for-juncos-second-500-entry

AFS is really loyal to Saavedra for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Huh, guess Kaiser didn't get ride after all. It's probably better for Juncos to not have another rookie on the team, though.

• Locked thread