Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
iirc he was confused by the notion that you wouldn't punch as hard as you could all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
which in the context of the time he was fighting makes a lot of sense because being good at mma meant having really good offense and hitting hard, i'm pretty sure there was no point to him throwing with less than 100% power in most of his fights

e: i'm obviously not saying that there's no point to doing that. but it didn't really impact quarry much because of how, and who, he fought.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Bas Rutten used to be at the bleeding edge of striking in this sport and he said there was no reason to ever jab in MMA, so it's hard to blame Quarry. It's easy to blame him for his post-fighting career: making a comic book called "zombie cage fighter"

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Bas Rutten used to be at the bleeding edge of striking in this sport and he said there was no reason to ever jab in MMA, so it's hard to blame Quarry. It's easy to blame him for his post-fighting career: making a comic book called "zombie cage fighter"

he's kind of right. For a lot of styles and a lot of fighters you need to be really relatively safe to throw a jab. The jab in MMA makes you vulnerable to an overhand right or cross unless you throw it perfectly. Perfectly doesn't just mean keeping your elbow tight and your knees bent it also means you have to know the distance exactly. In other words you have to set up the jab while being aware of your wrestling opportunities, his wrestling opportunities, the feet, etc. There's a loving lot of work and a lot of just circumstantial poo poo that has to come together before you can throw a truly safe jab. Many fighters would rather set up a bigger strike.

With all that being said if you make a stinging jab a part of your game plan it can definitely work for you--Rory Mac, Gustaffson, Masvidal, Joanna and Makdessi all come to mind as guys who have nasty jabs that can gently caress up your whole poo poo but that's a function of their body types and fighting styles. They're never out of position to either throw that jab or move their weight around and come in with another strike. In MMA the jab is more a feature of certain fighters skillsets and movement patterns rather than something everyone should try to force.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gay Horney posted:

he's kind of right. For a lot of styles and a lot of fighters you need to be really relatively safe to throw a jab. The jab in MMA makes you vulnerable to an overhand right or cross unless you throw it perfectly. Perfectly doesn't just mean keeping your elbow tight and your knees bent it also means you have to know the distance exactly. In other words you have to set up the jab while being aware of your wrestling opportunities, his wrestling opportunities, the feet, etc. There's a loving lot of work and a lot of just circumstantial poo poo that has to come together before you can throw a truly safe jab. Many fighters would rather set up a bigger strike.

With all that being said if you make a stinging jab a part of your game plan it can definitely work for you--Rory Mac, Gustaffson, Masvidal, Joanna and Makdessi all come to mind as guys who have nasty jabs that can gently caress up your whole poo poo but that's a function of their body types and fighting styles. They're never out of position to either throw that jab or move their weight around and come in with another strike. In MMA the jab is more a feature of certain fighters skillsets and movement patterns rather than something everyone should try to force.

no... and thats not the point anyway. Your tangential jab analysis is goofy.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 8, 2017

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Foul Fowl posted:

which in the context of the time he was fighting makes a lot of sense because being good at mma meant having really good offense and hitting hard, i'm pretty sure there was no point to him throwing with less than 100% power in most of his fights

e: i'm obviously not saying that there's no point to doing that. but it didn't really impact quarry much because of how, and who, he fought.

he fought some guys who knew how to strike. rivera and franklin

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Gay Horney posted:

every punch is vulnerable to a counter. this is all really loving stupid.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bundt Cake posted:

Your tangential jab analysis is goofy.
Jesus loving Christ. Everyone submit your corrections and I will let the mma legends with whom I train on a daily basis where they can improve. I know every punch can be countered. I was talking about the risk of the jab specifically. There's nothing in there that I haven't picked up from a dude with over 100 fights.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 8, 2017

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gay Horney posted:

Submit your corrections and I will let Jeremy Horn know where he's wrong

My first correction is that its not 2006 anymore, and Kenny Florian revolutionized the sport showing how a jab works pretty much exactly how and in the same circumstances you would expect it too if someone did it

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ouch my foot. drat he's droppin names

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Jeremy horn doesn't think Jabs work because none of his punches ever worked

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
remember when gsp put one fo the most prolonged and vicious beatings seen inside the octagon on josh koscheck? little did he know he was vulnerable to the overhand right - the only punch koscheck knows how to throw

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bundt Cake posted:

My first correction is that its not 2006 anymore, and Kenny Florian revolutionized the sport showing how a jab works pretty much exactly how and in the same circumstances you would expect it too if someone did it
Yes like I said there are more fighters working it into their gameplan. Nate Quarry is not one of them (and neither was Jeremy to be fair) and I was talking about Bas being right when he said there's no reason to throw a jab at the time he said it.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

remember when gsp put one fo the most prolonged and vicious beatings seen inside the octagon on josh koscheck? little did he know he was vulnerable to the overhand right - the only punch koscheck knows how to throw

It was crazy how a fighter used a jab to keep a distance and throw off his opponents timing... Never before seen in MMA

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gay Horney posted:

Yes like I said there are more fighters working it into their gameplan. Nate Quarry is not one of them (and neither was Jeremy to be fair) and I was talking about Bas being right when he said there's no reason to throw a jab at the time he said it.

Every fighter you train with is dumber than tim sylvia who defended a ufc title with jabs

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

ouch my foot. drat he's droppin names

It's better than going "lol no" when you only read half the post

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

drat don't back pedal and change waht you said now dude or you spit on the lessons of every legendary fighter with whom you train with on a daily basis

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Well i mean there is some truth to that idea that with smaller gloves and all the options you have in MMA its not as appealing to just flick out a boxing style jab to feel the guy out. Back in the Vitor/Wanderlei/etc days when lots of the best strikers were guys who would just blitz you with power shots. Lots of guys got punished for lovely jabs. But of course the solution isnt to never throw a straight punch with your lead hand its to adapt it to MMA and get good at it like GSP

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

Every fighter you train with is dumber than tim sylvia who defended a ufc title with jabs

lol but to be fair remember when he threw a lazy jab against Ray Mercer and got knocked out by an overhand

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Am I loving crazy or did Luke Rockhold just lose his championship off of a jab? Diaz hosed Michael Johnson up off of his jab too. GSP's hopping jab (one of maybe a half dozen jabs in his arsenal) where he was able to almost leave his feet because he knew he wasn't going to get wrestled is a great example of what I'm talking about actually. There is a lot more to working a jab into a fight than "just throw the jab" is all I'm saying

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
you're right about luke rockhold for sure lol but that was the most lackadaisical jab i ever saw in my life, he threw it with pure disdain for the effort it took

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Stop bullying Gay Horney.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bundt Cake posted:

We use jabs a shitload in my gym. I love the jab. I was just trying to elaborate on why it is not used more often . I definitely regret name dropping I just got mad

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 8, 2017

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Nate Quarry is from an era where concepts like "lateral footwork" and "head movement" were cutting edge

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Gay Horney posted:

Am I loving crazy or did Luke Rockhold just lose his championship off of a jab?

orthodox vs. southpaw

Gay Horney posted:

Diaz hosed Michael Johnson up off of his jab too.

Michael Johnson is very bad

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

chaleski posted:

Nate Quarry is from an era where concepts like "lateral footwork" and "head movement" were cutting edge

Bas is from an era where any kind of footwork or movement of any body part was a technique

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

1st AD posted:

Michael Johnson is very bad

about as bad as conor mcgregor.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Late to the discussion, but A.J. Liebling used to refer to fighters as "milling coves." Apparently "coves" just meant "boys," so "milling" referred to fighting. But we're talking some old-rear end boxing writing, so probably not relevant.

quote:

REPORTER AT LARGE about attending the fight between Sugar Ray Robinson & Randy Turpin at the Polo Grounds, won by Robinson in the 10th round. The writer is fond of a book called "Boxiana," by Pierce Egan-a history of the British prize ring up to 1828. In it is a description of migration to a fight in the early days. The migration would begin days in advance on foot. Later the milling coves & the flash coves (fightera & knowing boys) would set out in way along with plenty of Cyprians & blue ruin (sporting girls & gin) to keep them happy on their way. Last of all the Corinthians (masters of the fance & patrons of pugilists) would take the road in their fance traps and catch up with the others.

The audiobook of A.J. Liebling's essays on boxing is quite entertaining.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

U should get a job as like one of those supporting anime characters who stands on a nearby rock and narrates all of Gokus fights in dbz

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bundt Cake posted:

he fought some guys who knew how to strike. rivera and franklin

oh yeah and they loving killed him but i don't think the fact that quarry threw everything hard changed those fights at all. they were just way better. i'm not saying everyone sucked just that quarry probably had the best career he could have had.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Foul Fowl posted:

oh yeah and they loving killed him but i don't think the fact that quarry threw everything hard changed those fights at all. they were just way better. i'm not saying everyone sucked just that quarry probably had the best career he could have had.

agree. he was a bit of an older guy too i think

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The thing with an MMA jab is that you need to keep your chin protected from way more angles than a boxing jab. That doesn't make it a worthless tool, that means you need to practice throwing it with good form thousands of times so that you don't throw a lazy one when you're tired/overconfident. Making sure your shoulder is in the right place, that your chin has tucked into the correct spot, that you have turned your body to reduce how much of your chin exposed, and so on are really important. Also actually bringing your hand back. So many guys throw jabs where the leave it out for a couple seconds and let their hand just kinda fall to their waist before bringing it back, and that's all time that half of your guard is down. As soon as someone times your jab, that sort of technique gets you put down.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

Also actually bringing your hand back. So many guys throw jabs where the leave it out for a couple seconds and let their hand just kinda fall to their waist before bringing it back, and that's all time that half of your guard is down. As soon as someone times your jab, that sort of technique gets you put down.

Yeah I could see why your average novice striker in 00s MMA would be hesitant to add jabs to their game when "big right hand" was some fighters' entire striking game

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The jab is like the safest, most varied and efficient strike available what the gently caress?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bundt Cake posted:

agree. he was a bit of an older guy too i think

i watched the quarry/franklin fight not too long ago and it seems so incredibly unfair. nate has zero chance. but apparently he was 3-0 with only first round knockouts so i guess franklin was just really really good.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The jab is like the safest, most varied and efficient strike available what the gently caress?

From what I read about that quote from Bas the idea was that the risk of throwing a jab isn't worth the small reward for landing it. The small gloves offer less protection and defensive opportunity, there's the threat of the takedown, and so on.

A jab might be safer than a hook, but a bad hook can still KO somebody, whereas a bad jab won't. And you don't need it to open up someone's defenses as much as you do in boxing since you can more easily get around the small gloves (paraphrasing from what I read, not claiming to be an expert of any sort).

I don't personally agree with it, particularly since there's a lot of proof that it can be used to great advantage, but I can see what he's getting at.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Bas also said elbows are cheap because they only cut and never KOd anyone (to ricco rodriguez who kod randy with elbows)

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

lol but to be fair remember when he threw a lazy jab against Ray Mercer and got knocked out by an overhand

It was like watching a tree fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

From what I read about that quote from Bas the idea was that the risk of throwing a jab isn't worth the small reward for landing it.

I distinctly remember Bas one time saying something along the lines of "why throw a jab when you can just try to knock them out instead?"

• Locked thread