Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The Jays have added Russell Martin to the 10 day DL with a shoulder injury. I forgot how lucky they had been with injuries the last few years, I guess this is it all just evening out. Sucks for it to happen all at once though, especially when they've been struggling for wins

That's a huge blow to the eight people who think the Jays have a chance.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Reading through the Meet The Teams thread a month into the season is sobering, to say the least. :smithicide:

edit: While writing this post, I found out that Brandon Nimmo, Mets designated smiler, is now :siren: DOUBLE INJURED :siren:

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/861688654477094916

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 8, 2017

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It was laughable when MLB's Hype Lords starting selling BATTLE OF THE BELTWAY back when both the Nats and the O's weren't terribly interesting but now that they are both watchable, BATTLE OF THE BELTWAY is still dumb as a slogan but gently caress yeah, I'll watch.

For the opening salvo, Nats should drill Machado. For purely commercial purposes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So can any Giants goons explain to me why bay area sports pundits hate Brandon Belt so much? My coworker two desks down has been blasting local sports radio all day for some reason and listening to these guys you'd think the Giants would be 32-0 if Belt would just get off his lazy rear end and start producing.

I've also learned that Hunter Pence is apparently worth a package of top prospects :lol:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

the popes toes posted:

It was laughable when MLB's Hype Lords starting selling BATTLE OF THE BELTWAY back when both the Nats and the O's weren't terribly interesting but now that they are both watchable, BATTLE OF THE BELTWAY is still dumb as a slogan but gently caress yeah, I'll watch.

For the opening salvo, Nats should drill Machado. For purely commercial purposes.

Doesn't each city have its own beltway? It should be BATTLE OF THE BELTWAYS

Or even better, nothing at all because naming rivalries is dumb

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Pirates RHP Jameson Taillon underwent surgery for testicular cancer today.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

skaboomizzy posted:

The Pirates really can't catch a break this year.

Hope he has a speedy recovery. I'm guessing they removed a testicle?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skaboomizzy posted:

That's a hell of a pulled groin he ended up with.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What the? I assume this was something everyone knew about beforehand or was it a sudden diagnosis and surgery?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
He just went on the DL with groin discomfort so I'm guessing they just found it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

skaboomizzy posted:

So yeah.......about those John Kruk gifs Gendo used to post.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
After watching him flail pathetically at AAA pitching for a month, the Braves have released Ryan Howard.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

So yeah.......about those John Kruk gifs Gendo used to post.

Was just looking for the fancy testicle today, couldn't find it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

:wtf:

https://twitter.com/MattEhalt/status/861704524297383936

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps the Dark Knight has become the Joker?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

What the? I assume this was something everyone knew about beforehand or was it a sudden diagnosis and surgery?
The ESPN article says it is 'suspected' to be testicular cancer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

also Ryan Howard got released after he hit .184 at the Braves' AAA affiliate. I think he's done.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/05/braves-release-ryan-howard.html

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

Perhaps the Dark Knight has become the Joker?

I was thinking that Harvey would have some sort of dual nature, two faces if you will, but couldn't think of a good batman reference

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

So can any Giants goons explain to me why bay area sports pundits hate Brandon Belt so much? My coworker two desks down has been blasting local sports radio all day for some reason and listening to these guys you'd think the Giants would be 32-0 if Belt would just get off his lazy rear end and start producing.

I've also learned that Hunter Pence is apparently worth a package of top prospects :lol:
Belt seems to be exactly the kind of player AT&T mutes. And a 1B who's never hit 20 HR or 100 RBI in a year is also exactly the kind of player that typical local sports talk radio will lambaste.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

After watching him flail pathetically at AAA pitching for a month, the Braves have released Ryan Howard.

LOL. The AP did a huge story on his attempt to get back to the Majors last week.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

The ESPN article says it is 'suspected' to be testicular cancer.

Taillon and the Pirates have confirmed it, pretty much.

Watch the lack of one testicle totally throw off his mechanics and he never throws another strike. (I'm kidding I think Taillon is awesome.)

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Kevyn posted:

Doesn't each city have its own beltway? It should be BATTLE OF THE BELTWAYS

Or even better, nothing at all because naming rivalries is dumb

Please apologize to the Subway Series

Edit eat fresh

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

I was thinking that Harvey would have some sort of dual nature, two faces if you will, but couldn't think of a good batman reference

A man with two sides too him? Hmmm nope, can't think of a good analogy.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Chexoid posted:

That's a huge blow to the eight people who think the Jays have a chance.

Yeah I'm not saying they have a chance but I'm willing to pretend these games are somewhat meaningful and not give up all hope yet . Only 6 back of the second wild card ! (With everyone except the royals ahead of them)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A healthy Jays team could maybe turn things around since the schedule through the end of June is pillow soft.

A team anchored by Kevin Pillar and Justin Smoak?

hahahah

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
why did jung ho kang give jaimeson taillon nut cancer

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Alcides Escobar is slashing .183/.220/.250 so far this year. He has the worst OBP over the last 5 years for any player who's averaged 100 games a year ( a robust .287). Good enough to be promoted to the leadoff spot on the Royals!

Oh wait, the chart I was linked to on that OBP thing includes 2017. Still he has more than a full season's worth of games on the next closest in games played to him that had a worse OBP (660-493).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

skaboomizzy posted:

This season absolutely loving sucks injury-wise. Be okay, Taillon :(

bawfuls posted:

Belt seems to be exactly the kind of player AT&T mutes. And a 1B who's never hit 20 HR or 100 RBI in a year is also exactly the kind of player that typical local sports talk radio will lambaste.

Belt could have 20 HR's right now and the Giants would still be below .500

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sydin posted:

He's correct, though. Giants fandom has been stuck on "Belt Wars" on and off for years, starting when Bochy kept benching him for Brett Pill. There's an enormous group of people on social media whose first inclination is to trade him for every scenario; as if when a light goes out on the stadium it's Belt's fault for leaving the light on too long. And you've got the blowback of people who made a meme of saying "damnit Belt" whenever any unrelated bad happens to the team.

Sometimes fans disagree and mock each other, is what I'm getting at.

A lot of it comes from him getting a lot of walks and a lot of strikeouts with relatively few balls in play. It's similar to Reds fans who hate Votto's walks because damnit he should have hit for extra bases. And there was a period where "slumpy shoulders" took off for a bit because people were so frustrated with his K's that they were complaining about the sort of lost "huh" expression on his face that the camera sometimes catches after he strikes out. But there was a bunch of people online who wanted to see Belt play everyday instead of being benched in platoons etc, and consequently there's a backlash of "OKAY WELL YOUR GUY BETTER BE BARROLD GOOD or we're going to demand he be traded at every juncture."

Also keep in mind many of the people who hate Belt want to move Posey to first base for the long haul effective immediately, even though that would reduce his value and Posey himself wants to be a catcher still.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 9, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sydin posted:

He's actually really underrated and a lot of his doubles would be dingers in other parks. I saw Sports Illustrated's team preview had a rival scout ripping into Belt, so he seems to be incredibly polarizing, kind of like how Votto gets poo poo for always walking.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Well yeah, but he's not, so the people that don't know anything about baseball will continue to blame him instead of the 9 other guys who suck worse. Also they'll blame Arroyo for not hitting .350 at the major-league level.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

With most cancer, there is very little time between diagnosis and surgery. The longer you wait, the more likely it is to spread to the lymph nodes and to other parts of the body. Fortunately, testicular cancer is very noticeable, so it's almost always caught early, and it has a survival rate above 90%.

Really hope he recovers and is back on the field asap.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I still don't understand why so many people are anti-walk. Like, sure, a walk's not a dinger or a double, but it's not a K or a DP either.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Some Numbers posted:

I still don't understand why so many people are anti-walk. Like, sure, a walk's not a dinger or a double, but it's not a K or a DP either.

You can't hit dingers if you don't swing! :byodood:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves picked up another lovely bench player today, acquiring Danny Santana from the Twins. In return, they sent over one of their many lovely bullpen arms tucked away in AAA and a little cash.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

You can't walk off the island.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/861743908858015752

Bye Szczur. :(

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

eh tu, theo

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

At least Szczur will probably see a lot more play time in San Diego.

The Cubs just put Heyward on the 10-day DL, so great time to lose a spare OF. :rolleyes:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

The Braves picked up another lovely bench player today, acquiring Danny Santana from the Twins. In return, they sent over one of their many lovely bullpen arms tucked away in AAA and a little cash.
Saw an alert, was wondering who those were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I just bought a Bellinger jersey so expect him to fall off a cliff soon

• Locked thread