Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Honey, you are going to poo poo yourself in front of that doctor. Your legs are fine, they are not going to judge.

I also like how a selling point to laser hair removal is "I save SOOOOO much time!"

Because multiple trips to the place don't count?

The same lady dj had a similar ad after her first baby, where she bragged that despite being a mom with a newborn, her legs were sexy smooth because of all the time she didn't have to spend plucking or tweezing or shaving or whatever, which gave her more mom time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wish McDonalds had more chicken options. gently caress, how about the spicy chicken sandwich as nuggets? That poo poo would be amazing.

Another add from an ex-golden arches employee: round eggs (mcmuffins, the old bagels) were regular eggs, the folded eggs were yolk-like batter that came from a carton. I preferred the latter, nothing like trying to pick shell out of those round bins.

I do remember being asked to make sure the eggs were always cooked, which seemed dumb to teenage Cowslips, as everything was on a timer and I never saw anything runny. But salmonella scares happen all the time (or people think they have it). I've been around reptiles my entire life so chances are I've had it by now. Would be funny if I got it from undercooked chicken after 30 years of handing turtles and snakes.

Marketing WTF: laser hair removal, okay, I get it, it runs on almost every radio station here so they must do great business. But there's a pregnant dj who was hired to run commercials, so what does the ad focus on? How hard it is for her, in her third trimester, to shave her legs. Because she is worried about what the doctors will think when she goes in to have her baby! I can't imagine the focus group for that.

My friends wife has gotten a pedicure before giving birth to both kids. People are weird about that

Len has a new favorite as of 15:54 on May 8, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Len posted:

My first wife has gotten a pedicure before giving birth to both kids. People are weird about that

Think she's got a crush on her doctor?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

BioEnchanted posted:

Not really a better thread for this - There's a business in England that I like the name of, called "Chocolate By Design", an artisan chocolate shop with elaborately molded confections. I just like the name because it implies the idea of Chocolate by Accident. "What happened to this cement we were making?" "I don't know but it smells delicious!"

Hey you got chocolate in my peanut butter

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Cowslips Warren posted:

Marketing WTF: laser hair removal, okay, I get it, it runs on almost every radio station here so they must do great business. But there's a pregnant dj who was hired to run commercials, so what does the ad focus on? How hard it is for her, in her third trimester, to shave her legs. Because she is worried about what the doctors will think when she goes in to have her baby! I can't imagine the focus group for that.

It might be irrational, but over their lives women get subtle and not so subtle messages about their physical appearance and body hair is one of them. It can become really deep seated to the point that some women get very self conscious, and I think that any physical discomfort (feeling the hairs on their legs or something) gets amplified. My sister in law made sure she had her makeup done before she left to the hospital to deliver her son because she "didn't want to look fodonga[frumpy] " when giving birth.

I once dated a woman who said the reason she didn't wear thongs was because she didn't want the hospital staff to think she was a slut when cutting through her clothes if she was in a car accident or something :psyduck:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I guess the only way is to not wear any underwear as to not signal anything

I think we all get weird stuff like that though. I hate turning around in a public space, and still keep walking after I notice I'm going the wrong way to try to more smoothly transition to heading back because I feel like I'd look dumb to people. It's irrational

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I guess the only way is to not wear any underwear as to not signal anything

I think we all get weird stuff like that though. I hate turning around in a public space, and still keep walking after I notice I'm going the wrong way to try to more smoothly transition to heading back because I feel like I'd look dumb to people. It's irrational

I notice stuff like this, and do laugh to myself. Another big one I find funny is people getting out of the subway and looking around like they're lost.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Think she's got a crush on her doctor?

poo poo I don't have a wife. That's what I get for posting half asleep. Friends*

My ex apparently did the same thing because "I didnt want him to think I had poor hygiene"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A poster for Marvel's new show:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
EVIL JEW VERUS POOR MAN

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alhazred posted:

Holy poo poo :lol: that's got to be fan made or something right?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Holy poo poo :lol: that's got to be fan made or something right?

their screen name is right on it so yes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alhazred posted:

Lol, but what the heck is Jessica Jones even supposed to say? Jewel?

Why would it say "Power man" when it says "Daredevil' and "Iron fist" ??

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zaphod42 posted:

Like, I'm in no way defending the mock-up, its terrible on pretty much every conceivable level, but its their "superhero names", not the title of their shows, so Luke Cage is Power Man, and Jessica Jones is Jewel (although thats not a name she really went by in the comics, its the name she was shown in flashbacks to have used in her short lived costumed heroing before meeting Kilgrave). I'm not understanding why thats yourbiggest issue with it?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zaphod42 posted:

It's all their comic book code names. Jessica Jones was retconned in to have been a crimefighter when she was very young and she called herself Jewel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see the X-Men Gold guy is still at it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SiKboy posted:

Like, I'm in no way defending the mock-up, its terrible on pretty much every conceivable level, but its their "superhero names", not the title of their shows, so Luke Cage is Power Man, and Jessica Jones is Jewel (although thats not a name she really went by in the comics, its the name she was shown in flashbacks to have used in her short lived costumed heroing before meeting Kilgrave). I'm not understanding why thats yourbiggest issue with it?

IDK I saw all of Jessica Jones and I don't remember "jewel" ever being mentioned, must have missed that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha! Comic books, and everything spawned by them, are so loving stupid. A part of me is glad that stuff I liked to read as a kid like The Hardy Boys and Tom Swift didn't get gritty reboots in the 2000's.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ha! Comic books, and everything spawned by them, are so loving stupid. A part of me is glad that stuff I liked to read as a kid like The Hardy Boys and Tom Swift didn't get gritty reboots in the 2000's.

Dude, the Hardy Boys 100% had a gritty reboot in the 1990s. I remember the first reboot book had one of their girlfriends getting killed by a car bomb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

A part of me is glad that stuff I liked to read as a kid like The Hardy Boys and Tom Swift didn't get gritty reboots in the 2000's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-dstlq53U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcHy8xEt2QI

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK I saw all of Jessica Jones and I don't remember "jewel" ever being mentioned, must have missed that.

It wasn't in the show, but it's part of her original comic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Dude, the Hardy Boys 100% had a gritty reboot in the 1990s. I remember the first reboot book had one of their girlfriends getting killed by a car bomb.

........I said the 2000's.

Did not know that though. drat it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Read indie comics and limited runs instead, like Image and Vertigo stuff. They have self-contained, sensible stories and more creative artwork.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's called The Venture Brothers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

........I said the 2000's.

Did not know that though. drat it.

Oh my bad, it was the late 80s

wikipedia posted:

In contrast, the Casefiles, begun a decade earlier in 1987, was aimed at an older audience than the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories.[69] In the new series, the Hardys' work with a secret government organization simply called the "Network", with which they collaborate to "infiltrate organized crime, battle terrorists and track down assassins around the world."[69] The Hardys' personalities are portrayed as more separate and distinct, and they sometimes fight; in the first of the series, Dead on Target, for example, the brothers brawl after Frank tries to restrain Joe after Joe's girlfriend, Iola Morton, is killed by a car bomb.[69] In general, the series is more violent, and the Hardy Boys carry various guns;[70] Lines like "Joe! Hand me the Uzi!" are not out of character.[71] Barbara Steiner, a Casefiles ghostwriter, describes a sample plot outline: "I was told that Joe Hardy would get involved with a waitress, a black widow kind of character, and that Joe would get arrested for murder. I was told the emphasis was on high action and suspense and there had to be a cliff-hanger ending to every chapter."[h]

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, wasnt mentioned in the show at all, and its unlikely to be in the future either (its a part of the backstory in the comic, when shes introduced it was already in the past, and in the show they change that part of the backstory) . The closest they came is the "super suit" that Trish tried to give Jessica, which was a very close match to the "Jewel" costume. The name "Power Man" gets a nod in one episode of Luke Cage I think, but even in the comics he's been better known as Luke Cage to everyone for longer than anyone really called him Power Man (because its a drat stupid name). I got my threads mixed up and thought I was in the Netflix marvel thread, so it didnt occur to me that you werent a comicbook nerd who would know that already!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Read indie comics and limited runs instead, like Image and Vertigo stuff. They have self-contained, sensible stories and more creative artwork.
Yeah for real, Vertigo in particular is a goldmine. There's good stuff in Marvel and DC superhero comics too but you have to look for writers, not series. Every so often I get it in my head to read some classic runs of the mainstream superheroes and invariably I get bored out of my skull.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I want to read those ironic gritty reboot Hana Barbara comics

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is a gritty reboot of Archie

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
^ ^ ^ ^
Yeah, exactly.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What little I've seen of the Flintstones gritty reboot comic has been pretty amazing. Having serious drama taking place in an almost entirely unchanged Bedrock seems pretty great.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mu Zeta posted:

There is a gritty reboot of Archie

I wouldn't call the current run that Waid kicked off "gritty" but I'm only a few issues in.

Also, they're really funny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw commercials for an Archie show where it's a murder mystery or something.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We participated in a genocide, Barney.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

purple death ray posted:

We participated in a genocide, Barney.

YABBA DABBA DOOOOOO!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw commercials for an Archie show where it's a murder mystery or something.

And a lot of people in these forums love it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's ok to love bad shows.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Okay, unprovoked Recent-Archie-History Time.

Not too long ago, publisher Archie Comics was in a weird patch. The guy who ran the company died, and two family members of high level executives took over. They apparently nearly drove the company to the ground, workers were alienated left and right, lawsuits were flying, at one point Hell's Angles were hired as Security/Intimidation task force, etc. In the midst of this breakdown and restructuring, they released a comic exploring alternate time lines where Archie married either Veronica or Betty. The talent behind the book actually took a lot of fun with the ridiculous premise, and was actually well received. It even resolved in a storyline where Archie dies taking a bullet for the then recently introduced gay character Kevin Keller. A kind of turning point came in joke alternate cover they made, featuring the characters as zombies in a pastiche of old horror covers, titled 'Afterlife with Archie'.

Now, rolling back a bit, this weird time in Archie Comics was also beset with weird crossovers (presumably due to increased interest online in the Archie Meets The Punisher Comic), and lead to a number of issues where Archie Met Kiss, athlete Michael Strahan, Glee. Now surprisingly the Glee crossover is a kind of linchpin in the story of Archie Comics proper, as they brought on a writer on the show Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who also had experience writing for Marvel, to write the crossover. A year later, he was named the company's Chief Creative Officer. And between point A and point B, there was something of a revolution. Going back to that joke cover, 'Afterlife with Archie', it became a kind of a big deal on the internet as a funny 'What if?'. And in response to that, Archie Comics started to develop a comic exploring the concept. They set the artist of the original comic cover, Francesco Francavilla, and Roberto to create an ongoing comic to based on it.

In October 2013, the comic series 'Afterlife with Archie' was released. It was a surprisingly mature take on the concept, that both acted as a surprising desecration of the Archie characters, but an even more shocking well told drama exploring the end of days. The characters were there, fitting their archetypes and relationships, but were developed into more fully fleshed out characters that they had ever been in Archie proper. They died, they killed, they made mistakes that held long term effects and remorse. It was their only comic to have ever been sold only to comic shops, as well as the only one to have carried a Mature Audiences only disclaimer, and it was a huge success. So, stuck with something that worked, Archie under Roberto's leadership branched out into other opportunities, not in Horror comics, but in exploring the characters outside of the confines of the the Riverdale created in 1941. There was a Sabrina comic, re-contextualizing it as a satanic 1960's period piece complete with animal sacrifice and demonic husbandry, a crossover with the Predator, contrasting the Happy-Go-Lucky world of Riverdale with the visceral violence of the film series, a relaunch of Archie Proper, a still humorous re-imagining of the characters as contemporary teens told in a modern serialized style by living comics legend Mark Waid, and a litany of other titles ranging the spectrum.

This also leads to the CW series. Now, CCO Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa having experience in the film and television world started pitching a film adaptation that would play with the characters, the way his company had been playing with them for years in comics. This project evolved into the series on CW, which recasted the characters in a Twin Peaks style murder mystery as well as a CW style teen drama. It has apparently been well recieved and wildly successful. Which is unfortunate for fans like me, as Roberto is now the head of Archie's creative division, lead writer and showrunner on Riverdale, writer of the Riverdale spinoff comics, and writer of both the Afterlife with Archie and Sabrina horror comics. And as someone who only reads the horror comics, I'm kinda left out in the cold.

In conclusion, things got bad, then they got weird, and now things are weird and they're going really well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Last chance, guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The kind of injuries I've gotten while doing yard work with clothes on makes me wince at the thought of doing it nude