Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Malek posted:

Dang, I was hoping it would just corrupt me entirely or give me some angle on the Typhon consciousness if I went heavy psionic.

Fyi, a solid chunk of the story is hidden behind you taking Typhon mods. Save and take one, you'll understand. It's basically as you said, you learn more about the Typhon by taking them.

Also knowing ( or at least guessing, they really don't bother hiding it if you explore even a little. ) the twist makes me doubt there is really a "corruption" angle to Typhon mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

polygon gave doom an 8.5, with most of their criticism focusing on its lovely multiplayer.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the sound mixing for the Phantoms really like...low, for anyone? I have subtitles on and I've always seem their little murmurs but I don't think I've ever actually been able to hear them talk.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I love how often you can just break some glass to get into a hard to reach place. Other games have conditioned me to just assume that glass in front of security booths etc is unbreakable and that I always have to find the keycard/hack/find the vent. Not here!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lakbay posted:

"Who is December?" spoilers One of the operators during the game over screen of that says "start it up again" so yes save scumming is canon
Now I'm wondering if this is related to the hints that dev was giving on Twitter about an unknown way to play.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is the sound mixing for the Phantoms really like...low, for anyone? I have subtitles on and I've always seem their little murmurs but I don't think I've ever actually been able to hear them talk.

Sound mixing for the whole game is really hosed. It's literally the biggest problem I have with the game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Popelmon posted:

I love how often you can just break some glass to get into a hard to reach place. Other games have conditioned me to just assume that glass in front of security booths etc is unbreakable and that I always have to find the keycard/hack/find the vent. Not here!

My favorite one so far was getting into the Morgue without a keycard. There are all these audio logs in the area from the guy saying he accidentally locked his card in there and asking if anyone had ideas to get it back. One of them is to sneak behind a science operator as it goes through its scheduled routine to get past the authorization. Not sure if that actually works since all the science operators in the area didn't seem to go over there as far as I could tell, so I worked out another solution. The windows are barred, but you can still break them and shoot a dart through the bars to hit the door switch.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Sound mixing for the whole game is really hosed. It's literally the biggest problem I have with the game.

I agreed. Also I think the most frustrating thing is they should have just gotten com truise to just do the soundtrack. There are definite hooks that were inspired by him.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hear them very clearly. You want headphones with good mid range.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DancingShade posted:

I hear them very clearly. You want headphones with good mid range.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD518s which I always thought were pretty good quality. :shrug:

On another note, been playing around again mostly just to gently caress around and do stuff out of order, I chose female morgan since I played the male one originally and she's not a bad VA by any stretch of the imagination but female morgan does not have that sort of sinister edge male Morgan had in his audio. January sounds way lamer because of it too IMO.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Playing through the demo and just wanted to say: I love a game that has conditioned me to walk into rooms and hit every single chair with a wrench to verify that it is a chair and then walk right back out, whistling

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

My favorite one so far was getting into the Morgue without a keycard. There are all these audio logs in the area from the guy saying he accidentally locked his card in there and asking if anyone had ideas to get it back. One of them is to sneak behind a science operator as it goes through its scheduled routine to get past the authorization. Not sure if that actually works since all the science operators in the area didn't seem to go over there as far as I could tell, so I worked out another solution. The windows are barred, but you can still break them and shoot a dart through the bars to hit the door switch.

It definitely works, that's how I got in.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish there was another melee weapon you could get. I have fond memories shanking Hybrids to death with the laser rapier in SS2.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How can I avoid the save bug?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Are there any other hidden weapons like the gold pistol?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Are there any other hidden weapons like the gold pistol?

There's a gold pistol? Where?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wish there were a way past the broken doors other than the mimic power. Most of the doors they lead to have alternate routes, but not all :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

On another note, been playing around again mostly just to gently caress around and do stuff out of order, I chose female morgan since I played the male one originally and she's not a bad VA by any stretch of the imagination but female morgan does not have that sort of sinister edge male Morgan had in his audio. January sounds way lamer because of it too IMO.

I played as female Morgan my first time through and I thought her VA did a much better job of making January and other various things voiced by her sound a lot more friendly. It really heightened the sense of intrigue for me because the voice sounding so genuine coming from a pre-programmed robot added a layer of... I dunno how to describe it. It made me question its motives (and by extension Morgan's) a lot more than it would have otherwise.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I wish there were a way past the broken doors other than the mimic power. Most of the doors they lead to have alternate routes, but not all :(

Same. You should be able to force them open with leverage III imo.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

an actual dog posted:

polygon gave doom an 8.5, with most of their criticism focusing on its lovely multiplayer.

I thought their main complaint would be "the enemies move." :v:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

an actual dog posted:

This is a fair point, even if I disagree with it. I recall that Giant Bomb has a long argument during their GotY talk about how much the tepid Doom MP should impact its consideration.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Skippy McPants posted:

This is a fair point, even if I disagree with it. I recall that Giant Bomb has a long argument during their GotY talk about how much the tepid Doom MP should impact its consideration.

Everyone rags on the Polygon Doom video when
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHlvQcozDAA&t=120s

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

There's a reason the phrase "Brad at video games" exists.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ambaire posted:

There's a gold pistol? Where?

Check Bridge, captain has a datalog that starts the quest.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Power plant question: There's a Power Plant Control Room door (if I remember correctly), but there's a fuckoff electrical panel just past the door which will kill me if I try and go in. Is there an alternate route, or do I basically need the electrical resistance Typhon power?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Power plant question: There's a Power Plant Control Room door (if I remember correctly), but there's a fuckoff electrical panel just past the door which will kill me if I try and go in. Is there an alternate route, or do I basically need the electrical resistance Typhon power?

Gloo Gun stops electrical panels from zapping.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Rookersh posted:

The problem in that instance is you basically have the door, then the electrical panel is right on the wall next to the door such that if you enter to get line of sight on the panel, you get a bolt of electricity to the face.

Unless there's something I'm missing...?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rookersh posted:

The one they're speaking of is directly around a corner from the door with no angle to shoot it from. I also was stumped by that, couldn't find an alternate entrance.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

The problem in that instance is you basically have the door, then the electrical panel is right on the wall next to the door such that if you enter to get line of sight on the panel, you get a bolt of electricity to the face.

Unless there's something I'm missing...?

Can you throw an EMP grenade around/at it? EMP can go through walls and also shuts those panels off.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rookersh posted:

Can you throw an EMP grenade around/at it? EMP can go through walls and also shuts those panels off.

:eyepop: I never even thought of using EMPs to deactivate those things.

In 99% of video games that would do nothing and they would only work on enemies and machines. *glares at Deus Ex HR, where that is absolutely the case*

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Rookersh posted:

:stare:

I didn't even think of that, and it makes sense. I've just been gloo-ing all the ones I've seen so far. Just tried it now and it worked a treat.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

I like DOOM a lot but it's not like a 10 game even if you leave out the MP. There's some rough patches lol

Gunder
May 22, 2003

an actual dog posted:

I like DOOM a lot but it's not like a 10 game even if you leave out the MP. There's some rough patches lol

This is true.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

an actual dog posted:

The whole platforming part with Argent Tower might knock it down to a 9.5

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Prey the gey awey.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

:eyepop: I never even thought of using EMPs to deactivate those things.

In 99% of video games that would do nothing and they would only work on enemies and machines. *glares at Deus Ex HR, where that is absolutely the case*

I was really worried that this game would feel like Deus Ex HR; I totally bounced off that because there were so many design choices that bothered me, like how telegraphed the "stealth route"/"combat route"/"social route" paths were for each area, and things like how you could double dip XP by stealthing past enemies and then doubling back to kill them all.

Luckily, so far there has been none of that in Prey at all, like they've been very conscious about how people play this subgenre of game and have designed it to mesh very well. Like, I thought I was going to be bothered by the fact that you could drink water to slowly restore your HP (shades of Dishonored) and it was a bad time-versus-resources trade. But then I found the medical operators and so that wasn't a bad choice that the player had to make

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CJacobs posted:

The one they're speaking of is directly around a corner from the door with no angle to shoot it from. I also was stumped by that, couldn't find an alternate entrance.

Who needs a proper entrance if you have extra medkits? :black101:

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
As I always do when I start a new RPG, I restarted not even 3 hours into the game. The game does an awesome job of keeping it's secret, but I decided to test things a little bit by throwing objects into glass. Also I kept talking to the electrical engineer you meet right outside your apartment. The last few things she says are great subtle clues. In further testing I also found a hidden achievement. You can jump into the helicopter blades and die. Got a good laugh out of that one. .

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fun intro thing

if you place an item outside the elevator and ride it up, it'll still be there, but the same isn't true of the helicopter ride. A note in the sim lab states that someone's supposed to make sure the chopper pad is clean of objects while the ride is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Rookersh posted:

Motherfucker, I hate those panels, since the volt phantoms are always breaking them and I keep having to use my spare parts to repair them.