Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Neitherman posted:

I'm sorry for being a poopy stereotypical Pens fan earlier in the thread. I know I'm lucky as gently caress to be a fan of a team that now owns the longest playoffs streak in the league (somehow squeaking in even under Mike Johnston's ill-fated tenure.) Even if MAF implodes, Crosby's head literally is knocked off his body, and Malkin and Kessel slam into each other so hard they rip space-time and suck the entire PPG Paints Arena into another dimension I will appreciate their good luck up to this point. Back to (mostly) lurking for me.

Edit: I will readily admit that this is some horse-poo poo right here.

Not trying to be a homer or anything, but I thought the 76-77 habs were supposed to be the greatest team ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

Just Manny Being Manny.

Manny was a great example of how the rules don't apply to everyone. Forgot the name of the Red Sox pitcher who repeatedly tried to bean A-rod because of 'doping', whilst still having played multiple seasons with Manny on his team. But I guess that's Boston for you.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Not trying to be a homer or anything, but I thought the 76-77 habs were supposed to be the greatest team ever.

Yeah that would have been my reflex too.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/greatest-teams-of-all-time-1967-77-montreal-canadiens posted:

All told, they established 21 NHL records, including a 132-point performance that still stands as the league’s benchmark. Their goal differential of 216 is by far the best in NHL history, 40 ahead of the next-best mark, which was established by the Habs the following season.

They had nine players in the lineup who ultimately made their way to the Hockey Hall of Fame, along with coach Scotty Bowman and GM Sam Pollock. They became one of only two post-expansion teams (the 1970-71 Bruins were the other) to place four players – goalie Ken Dryden, defenseman Robinson, right winger Lafleur and left winger Shutt – on the first all-star team. The league might as well have held its awards ceremony at the Canadiens team banquet, since Lafleur won the Art Ross, Hart and Conn Smythe Trophies, Dryden and Michel Larocque the Vezina, Robinson the Norris and Bowman the Adams.

Had the Rocket Richard Trophy been in existence, Shutt would have taken it on the strength of a 60-goal season that established a record for left wingers at the time. The Selke Trophy was established the next season, when Bob Gainey won his first of four consecutive honors as the league’s best defensive forward.

When you consider Montreal’s dominance that season, you must look at it through the prism of a four-year run in which the Habs won four Stanley Cups and established themselves as arguably the most dominant dynasty in the history of the sport. In those four years, the Canadiens lost just 46 games.

[...]

But when the Canadiens won that season, they won big. They outscored their opponents by an average of almost 5-2 and 21 times that year they bested their opponent by five goals. Sixteen times the margin was six, nine times it was seven and four times they won by eight goals.

I can't think of a more dominant think in their respective era than that one.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Spelling Mitsake posted:

they were.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I literally cannot believe the Oilers scored 7 and McDavid didn't get a single point.
MVP my rear end.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

a false posted:

they were.

half the team is in the hall of fame, and some of the guys who aren't are like Jarvis and Pete Mahovlich

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
lol wait, I am a diehard Penguins fan and even I can admit that the 1991 or the 1992 Penguins team is not the greatest ever. One of the Islanders, Oilers or Canadiens teams should definitely be in the top three. But I guess fan voting and the Pittsburgh diaspora is leading the charge on the fan vote.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Hell the 93 Penguins were a better team than 91 and 92 teams on paper.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Forget best team, what's more exciting is who would be the better rover, Newsy Lalonde or Brent Burns?

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Loqieu posted:

Forget best team, what's more exciting is who would be the better rover, Newsy Lalonde or Brent Burns?

Wikipedia Sez posted:

Other players who have been described as modern "rovers" include Tyson Barrie, Brent Burns
Seems like any defenseman with offensive prowess could fit the bill.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, regarding reviews, thought of this a bit.

Right now, the four major North American sports have a split as to who does the reviewing. Currently, the MLB is the only one where someone who is not at the game makes the final call, and the NFL is moving to that system this upcoming season. Even with the NFL, it was the head ref reviewing the play, and chances are, it was rarely on a call that he himself made, meaning he wasn't going to second guess himself.

The NBA and NHL have the refs (and linemen) reviewing their own calls. This leads to "I was right the first time and you can't convince me." Mind you, my NBA subset is rather small, but they seem willing to admit they're wrong and initiate review themselves, not by coach's request (I think, someone more familiar with the NBA can verify for me). I think the other thing for the NBA is they understand that the speed is a factor and what looks one way in real time is completely different in slow-mo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Replays in the NBA do seem to work pretty well, but they also aren't nearly as important as replay in other sports since the resulting 2 points or 1 point or possession change is one of a whole lot, as opposed to an NHL goal, or a TD in football etc.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

iospace posted:

Right now, the four major North American sports have a split as to who does the reviewing. Currently, the MLB is the only one where someone who is not at the game makes the final call, and the NFL is moving to that system this upcoming season. Even with the NFL, it was the head ref reviewing the play, and chances are, it was rarely on a call that he himself made, meaning he wasn't going to second guess himself.

The NBA and NHL have the refs (and linemen) reviewing their own calls. This leads to "I was right the first time and you can't convince me." Mind you, my NBA subset is rather small, but they seem willing to admit they're wrong and initiate review themselves, not by coach's request (I think, someone more familiar with the NBA can verify for me). I think the other thing for the NBA is they understand that the speed is a factor and what looks one way in real time is completely different in slow-mo.

isn't the NHL a split system though, where the refs/lineys only review the tape themselves on the coach's challenge and all the goal stuff comes from Toronto?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

iospace posted:

NBA is split on in house/review center replays: http://official.nba.com/2015-16-updates/

I really like how the NBA has required reviews and allows officials to initiate reviews. With fouls being reviewed you can actually have the refs try and play mediator instead of sitting back and taking note of the fouls while pushing escalates into a line brawl. Ref initiated reviews means there's less of a standoff between refs and coaches over burning their challenge. Actually reviewing penalties means diving gets called out right then and there instead of a week later after however many dives to trigger a fine and thus a press release. Hockey might even be more conducive to the NBA replay/foul system because there's no way they can play the foul game in the final minutes of a game.

Unfortunately I think most of this works in the NBA because of years of a more friendly culture between refs and players, so there's no quick fix in the NHL by just stealing the NBA's replay system.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Can I share a really touching hockey story with you guys?

http://www.tsn.ca/turris-the-ot-hero-then-works-overtime-to-be-a-hero-off-the-ice-1.745292

I still can't believe the 'Yotes wanted him gone for "character reasons".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

isn't the NHL a split system though, where the refs/lineys only review the tape themselves on the coach's challenge and all the goal stuff comes from Toronto?

The video judge only covers whether the puck crossed the line, timing, kicking, and high sticking. Everything else, the situation room only makes suggestions but the ref on the ice has the final call.

In Oilers game 4, one of the refs that called obvious goalie interference a good goal also scolded Maroon in the Sharks series for snowing the goalie and Maroon said "don't talk to me like that"

Revenge maybe? :tinfoil:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Can I share a really touching hockey story with you guys?

http://www.tsn.ca/turris-the-ot-hero-then-works-overtime-to-be-a-hero-off-the-ice-1.745292

I still can't believe the 'Yotes wanted him gone for "character reasons".

quote:

Coyotes general manager Don Maloney's stance has been that he wouldn't trade Turris. And that hasn't changed.

"The CBA gives us certain rights to Turris and we are exercising our rights," Maloney told ESPN.com in an email Thursday. "There will be a point in the future Turris will have the right to decide who he wants to play for and how much he will accept.

"He is not at this stage, given his age and experience. If he wants to play in the NHL this season, he will re-sign with us. We will not trade his rights under any circumstances and are prepared to live with the consequences if he decides to sit out this, and future, seasons."

Regardless about what you feel about the RFA process, I'm not sure how you can read that and think that the coyotes wanted him gone

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, one of the character reasons was "Refused to play for Phoenix" so...

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

DJExile posted:

WHICH TEAM WAS BEST EVER??? arguments are all completely pointless and you'll do yourself a favor to avoid them entirely.

Yeah cause its the 75-76 or 76-77 Canadiens like its not even close

Edit: beaten like a rented mule

stab fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 9, 2017

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Milbury is trying so hard to act contrite on the pre game show. Someone must have given him a stern talking to that will last about a week before his dumb rear end says something else repugnant.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

hifi posted:

Regardless about what you feel about the RFA process, I'm not sure how you can read that and think that the coyotes wanted him gone

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, one of the character reasons was "Refused to play for Phoenix" so...

Wasn't Tippett pretty much relegating him to the fourth line or a healthy scratch all the time?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm not even sure the 90s Pens were better than the '02 Wings :colbert: /homer

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
All things considered, the ten best teams in NHL history in some order:

- late '40s Maple Leafs
- early '50s Red Wings
- late '50s Canadiens
- early '60s Maple Leafs
- mid '70s Canadiens
- '80s Islanders
- '80s Oilers
- '90s Red Wings
- 2002 Red Wings
- '10s Blackhawks

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
2010 Canucks were the best team in history

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

stab posted:

Yeah cause its the 75-76 or 76-77 Canadiens like its not even close

Edit: beaten like a rented mule

only cause sam pollock cheated to win

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

heeheex2 posted:

2010 Canucks were the best team in history

It only seems that way because it's the only real banner they got.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

e: double post and not the GDT, i'm dumb

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

All things considered, the ten best teams in NHL history in some order:

- late '40s Maple Leafs
- early '50s Red Wings
- late '50s Canadiens
- early '60s Maple Leafs
- mid '70s Canadiens
- '80s Islanders
- '80s Oilers
- '90s Red Wings
- 2002 Red Wings
- '10s Blackhawks

95 devils would sweep any of those red wings teams like they did in 95. as would the 00 devils.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
2001 NY rangers, 2011 vancouver canucks, 93 maple leafs, 2000 penguins, 2010 caps,

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
04 Lakers

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

anyone ever get their hat back from tossing it on a hat trick??

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

When is the last time the Caps played a round two game seven? Was it the year we got Halaked?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zyla posted:

anyone ever get their hat back from tossing it on a hat trick??

Some teams have it as an option but then you have to go back to the arena a few days later and ask for the *your team* hat and then stand there saying "no, not that one" over and over until giving up and going home.

When Maroon got a hat trick in boston, 1 hat was thrown on the ice and he wanted it, but they wouldn't give it to him.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

When is the last time the Caps played a round two game seven? Was it the year we got Halaked?

2015 against the Rangers that they lost in OT. They blew a 3-1 series lead.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
So are Pens fans allowed to complain about the meltdown we saw coming from a mile away, or is it still not cool to until they actually lose?

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Wasn't Tippett pretty much relegating him to the fourth line or a healthy scratch all the time?

Kind of, Tippett had him doing those minutes until he became more defensively responsible. He was a drat trainwreck in his own end.

I met him at the beginning of the summer before his holdout, he was a little baby that couldn't be more disinterested in being at the signing event. I'm glad to hear he's finally grown up and that his deal ended up landing us Christian Dvorak who will likely be a better all around player (in spite of Tippett).

Regardless, Tippett is a poo poo development coach.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'd normally be a bit miffed about blowing a 3-1 series lead but the Caps have just dominated this entire series. The Pens were lucky to be up as it was.

Probably need to rework this defense big time this summer. I get that you can't ever really replace a Letang but hoo boy are they bad without him. I don't think the Caps would be this dead in the water without Shattenkirk/Orlov or whoever the gently caress their best d is (Schmidt? he's been really good). Ironically enough Shattenkirk might be a guy to throw some money at. The Pens should have some cap space to work with depending on how everything shakes out.

Game 7 is winnable of course I'm not throwing in the towel. They should probably go back with the line combos they used earlier because none of those new combos worked tonight. I might also bench Kunitz and play Archibald for some speed but Sully won't do it so whatever. At this point Streit should definitely be in too but that was kinda a change they should have experimented with tonight. Be hard to just toss him into a game 7 now even with as bad as Hainsey has been.

Good for the Caps for not folding like a tent like they usually do. They could have easily gotten frustrated when down 3-1 in this series but they've continued to play.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It's so hard to not get my hopes up right now. I think it's fair to say that this is the Capitals' first or second most important game in franchise history and while they have clearly been the better team for most of the series I can see them losing in heartbreaking fashion.

Please one time hockey gods be on my side.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Don't need to test for concussion protocols off this, apparently.

• Locked thread