Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

Wedding chat: So if you send invites without a plus one or guest option, do you send separate invites for couples that you want to be there?

I think you address the invite to both members of the couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

We went from driving a Crown Vic for over ten years to an LS430. Should have made the switch sooner, no comparison whatsoever. The LS is the best used large sedan you can get for the money imo.

Cool. The LS has been on my list for a while. For one thing, the Lex V8 sounds wicked with an exhaust. :)
My cop car was $1500, so it's a tough value to beat. I'll drive it until I'm tired of it, or it breaks too much, most likely. Right now, I have no job, so the point is moot, I guess.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slidebite posted:

Yeah its not ideal, but most front loader washer manufacturers for the North American market at least are aware of that and have made the drum suspensions killer for 2nd floor installs.

IE:
http://www.electroluxappliances.com/Washers-Dryers/Second-Floor-Guarantee/

That's pretty cool, never seen that over here in the UK.

Went for another ride, broke a brake cable, survived. Need glasses for flying bugs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

funny Star Wars parody posted:

i didnt know what bae systems was but apparently their combat vehicles hq is right near me
BAE Sys is a British defense and aerospace tech company.
I work a few minutes from their Platforms and Services HQ.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Speaking of combat vehicles I saw this on my way to work

A line of about a dozen of them, all driven by army dudes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had to pass a convoy of about a zillion of those and those tractor-trailer lookin' things on a two lane highway in Nowhere, Wyoming once. It was neat seeing them, but got that driving sucked.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So how long until you fix the bad coolant sensor? :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I'm more concerned about the airbag light.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's pretty cool, never seen that over here in the UK.

Went for another ride, broke a brake cable, survived. Need glasses for flying bugs.
If you're running rim brakes, Halfords have Clark's teflon cable sets for like :10bux:.

If discs, you can upgrade to Clark's hydraulics (M2 model) for £40 a set, which is :catdrugs: pricing, frankly.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

HMMWV are god-awful to drive for any distance in pretty much any environment. Add in typical Army maintenance and they can be downright scary in rain and snow.

Highways in the US are awful, top speed of like 67MPH just below redline in top gear, gamble for AC, no noise damping, and lovely mileage.. god. Plus, you know, they're just not comfortable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BAE has a division here in town (if it's the same company) and it used to get picketed because at one point they were supposedly building missile parts to kill children or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

BAE has a division here in town (if it's the same company) and it used to get picketed because at one point they were supposedly building missile parts to kill children or something.

Yeah that's pretty much most of their business.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Prong Song posted:

HMMWV are god-awful to drive for any distance in pretty much any environment. Add in typical Army maintenance and they can be downright scary in rain and snow.

Highways in the US are awful, top speed of like 67MPH just below redline in top gear, gamble for AC, no noise damping, and lovely mileage.. god. Plus, you know, they're just not comfortable.
Coming back from Florence on this Saturday during drill, in an FLA ambulance humvee with only 35 hours and 300 miles on it, the transmission made a funny "ping-schff" sound during the 2-3 shift and I only had first gear for the last mile to the nearest exit.

And I was convoy leader and the ENTIRE CONVOY refused to pass as I limped along at redline at 35 mph half on the shoulder.

I'm sorry.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It really is a salvage title, his "trolling" claim was just backpedaling.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

beep-beep car is go posted:

Ugh. My cousin called on the morning of the wedding to ask if she could bring her boyfriend instead of just herself like the invite said when we got it two months ago. I said flatly no and that I was insulted that she'd ask that of me on my wedding day. Then her dad called up (my uncle) and was like "can't you just squeeze him in?" and I again reiterated that I was insulted that they'd ask. I think I wound up saying something like "if you show up with $200 cash for us to pay the caterer and venue and LAVISH tips on all of the people you are putting out by not paying attention, we can probably find him a stool in the back to sit on."

He did not come.

Yeah, we ended up with the same situation but in reverse. Invite was sent to myself / my wife, so we originally planned on not bringing the kid. I was lazy at RSVPing so I got a call from my aunt / mother of the bride making sure we were going, wherein she specifically invited my four-year-old daughter as well.

About two weeks pre-wedding, said aunt calls my wife, asks if my daughter really needs her own $65 plate (hell yes, she's a tall / hungry kid who needs her own seat), clearly in an effort to try and cut costs somewhere. Wife clarifies that yes, she'll need one, and offers to just get a sitter instead.

Cut to wedding day, after ceremony / before reception: "We had to put some other people at your table because we ran out of room, but some other guests didn't show up either, so just grab the kid her own plate." Walk into the reception hall, we have name tags for myself / my wife, but no seat for my daughter. We're crammed on the corner of a table pretty much dead center in the room surrounded by other tables, so even if there was an errant chair / plate anywhere (there wasn't), there was literally nowhere to put it. Tried to make it work for longer than we should've, then hosed right off out of there...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

And I was convoy leader and the ENTIRE CONVOY refused to pass as I limped along at redline at 35 mph half on the shoulder.

Right past where this may well have happened, :lol:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

It really is a salvage title, his "trolling" claim was just backpedaling.
No there's a sensor under the passenger seat that I haven't bothered to reconnect :v:

Never if I can help it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I should mention that I did do a vin search and my car is IN FACT an orange title and I'm okay with that because I look forward to the sweet embrace of death (also because I'm getting a new car this summer)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

No there's a sensor under the passenger seat that I haven't bothered to reconnect :v:

I should mention that I did do a vin search and my car is IN FACT an orange title and I'm okay with that because I look forward to the sweet embrace of death (also because I'm getting a new car this summer)

So much backpedaling.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Of course. Had to happen sometime. After 18 years in Denver, dodging hailstorms the whole time... Until I buy my dream car. 2nd nicest car I've ever owned, 2nd most expensive, waited years to find the right one, and within the first month I get hit. Oh and special rare color so replacement panels are impossible to find without paintwork.

Fortunately only about 10 dents, should be easy and affordable to get them pulled, but with the car still wet I probably am underestimating.

These were the biggest and at least two of them hit my new car. Same for all the cars in the lot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

LloydDobler posted:

Of course. Had to happen sometime. After 18 years in Denver, dodging hailstorms the whole time... Until I buy my dream car. 2nd nicest car I've ever owned, 2nd most expensive, waited years to find the right one, and within the first month I get hit. Oh and special rare color so replacement panels are impossible to find without paintwork.

Fortunately only about 10 dents, should be easy and affordable to get them pulled, but with the car still wet I probably am underestimating.

These were the biggest and at least two of them hit my new car. Same for all the cars in the lot.

Goondolences. I have cars with poo poo paint and parking lot scars and still freak when we get anything bigger than pea-sized. Hope the gods of PDR smile upon you.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

What the gently caress are you doing taking pictures while driving.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, we ended up with the same situation but in reverse. Invite was sent to myself / my wife, so we originally planned on not bringing the kid. I was lazy at RSVPing so I got a call from my aunt / mother of the bride making sure we were going, wherein she specifically invited my four-year-old daughter as well.

About two weeks pre-wedding, said aunt calls my wife, asks if my daughter really needs her own $65 plate (hell yes, she's a tall / hungry kid who needs her own seat), clearly in an effort to try and cut costs somewhere. Wife clarifies that yes, she'll need one, and offers to just get a sitter instead.

Cut to wedding day, after ceremony / before reception: "We had to put some other people at your table because we ran out of room, but some other guests didn't show up either, so just grab the kid her own plate." Walk into the reception hall, we have name tags for myself / my wife, but no seat for my daughter. We're crammed on the corner of a table pretty much dead center in the room surrounded by other tables, so even if there was an errant chair / plate anywhere (there wasn't), there was literally nowhere to put it. Tried to make it work for longer than we should've, then hosed right off out of there...

Right past where this may well have happened, :lol:

See, we definitely didn't pay $200/plate, so we added the kids coming to the headcount AND hired two bonded babysitters from care.com if our friends felt like being adults for a few hours. Some friends kept the kids with them, some used the babysitters. Everyone was happy.

We still had a small wedding, but we planned for a lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alarbus posted:

See, we definitely didn't pay $200/plate, so we added the kids coming to the headcount AND hired two bonded babysitters from care.com if our friends felt like being adults for a few hours. Some friends kept the kids with them, some used the babysitters. Everyone was happy.

We still had a small wedding, but we planned for a lot.

That is a pro way to do it. Either make it great for the kids (this is what we did at our cheap-as-gently caress wedding), or just be up front and tell everyone to get sitters.

I think it was a combination of said aunt hasn't seen my kid since she was a tiny little lapchild thing, and my aunt was trying to save $65 on a wedding that probably cost $car. There were a handful of smaller kids on people's laps, and a couple of older kids who actually had places set. My daughter figured out pretty quick when she read my name, and my wife's name on our place settings, but there wasn't one with her name.

On the upside, excluding any possible divorces, there's only one other cousin on that side of the family to get married, and knowing what I know now, we'll probably just skip that one. On the other side of the family there's so many goddamn weddings that they've all started using a hashtag for it. Those ones are just a nice, relaxed, nobody cares how many people show up type of affair.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Would be very interested in you documenting the debt pulling. Going with a paintless expert or trying it yourself?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Man, gently caress.

It's probably going to be worse dry and in direct sunlight. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Unfortunately, need a Tech2 or something like a Verus to dig that deep on his car. Basically a reader that can speak GM LAN.

LloydDobler posted:

Goddamn. A photographer/storm chaser I follow posted a radar screenshot of that poo poo. Looked really ugly.

About a year ago we got pounded with anything from dime size to grapefruit size hail (depending where you were). The grapefruit poo poo went right through the roof of a lot of houses, but it mostly hit out in the northeastern sticks (Wylie, Sachse, etc). A few friends had all of their cars written off at once with that, on top of their houses being left uninhabitable for a bit. Thankfully where I was at only saw about nickle size - parents got a new roof and fence out of it, my car and mom's car escaped any damage (stepdad's truck got a few dings).

Never if I can help it

Eh.. I don't know you, but that message coming up every time I drove (along with the DING DING DING DING warning when it pops up) would drive me loving crazy. Altho IIRC you silenced yours, right?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 9, 2017

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The micro tornado over in Olympia (Lacey) area of Washington dropped two out of three trees on my parents house. They just had their roof redone last year using the single piece of membrane. Nasty bit over weather everywhere lately it seems.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hey well the dimples possibly help maintain a boundary layer and decrease drag. Just think of all those dents as "speed holes."

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Unfortunately, need a Tech2 or something like a Verus to dig that deep on his car. Basically a reader that can speak GM LAN.

Goddamn. A photographer/storm chaser I follow posted a radar screenshot of that poo poo. Looked really ugly.

About a year ago we got pounded with anything from dime size to grapefruit size hail (depending where you were). The grapefruit poo poo went right through the roof of a lot of houses, but it mostly hit out in the northeastern sticks (Wylie, Sachse, etc). A few friends had all of their cars written off at once with that, on top of their houses being left uninhabitable for a bit. Thankfully where I was at only saw about nickle size - parents got a new roof and fence out of it, my car and mom's car escaped any damage (stepdad's truck got a few dings).

Eh.. I don't know you, but that message coming up every time I drove (along with the DING DING DING DING warning when it pops up) would drive me loving crazy. Altho IIRC you silenced yours, right?

Yup that poo poo has been silenced for like three years lol

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I decided to keep the annoying beeps/chimes when I discovered you get them if the alternator craps out (belt shredded)... or if the airbag light comes on... or, well, if any warning light comes on aside from the check engine light.

I also have automatic headlights... but occasionally turn them on manually (usually if I'm doing deliveries at night and can't really see my way to the customer's door). Without that chime I'd completely forget to turn them off. :v: The automatic ones stay on for about 30 seconds after shutting off the car, I'm used to them still being on by the time I'm out of sight.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I'm so dependent on cars yelling at me if I leave my headlights on that I've left them on several times now on the Beetle, and either noticed running the dog out or in one case a visiting friend pointed it out to me. I need to look into some sort of after market chime, I really don't want to kill the battery, it's a pain in the rear end to access under the rear seat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got one at Walmart years ago for an old civic, it just plugged into the fuse. I'm a dumbass and always leave the lights on so I need something to beep at me :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any 12v buzzer (I used a "pulsing" one from Amazon) going from the headlight +12v to the ignition switched +12v will work.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Everything except my windows and whatever smart rear end other thing u guys come up with on my car is manual so I don't need an annoying beeper telling me to turn my lights off

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I just like the chime that tells me I've left my key in the ignition. I lose my keys so easily...

Holy poo poo! The ripples, signal noise, and flashes that I've seen for my entire life are real medical issues that have an actual name. It's a mix of phosphenes and visual snow

I may still be crazy, but I'm technically not hallucinating!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bape passed me by again a few minutes ago, I wasn't in my loud-rear end car though so I finally got to hear that naughty V8. Definitely approve.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

I just like the chime that tells me I've left my key in the ignition. I lose my keys so easily...

Holy poo poo! The ripples, signal noise, and flashes that I've seen for my entire life are real medical issues that have an actual name. It's a mix of phosphenes and visual snow

Eh... I always use the fob to lock/unlock my car, I usually notice if I don't have the keys with me at that point. And if I actually do lock the doors with the power lock button (which sets off 3 chimes in the car, and the car won't lock until ~5 seconds after the last door is closed), I keep a spare in my wallet. The only time I've ever used a key to unlock the car has been when I somehow manage to lock my keys in, or when the battery is disconnected while I'm working on it, and happen to take a break for a bit (which in my mind, requires locking the car... don't want to come back out to find out I'm missing a stereo again). I have a bad habit of pulling the key out just enough to shut up the chime if for some reason I'm leaving the keys in it briefly.

Also uh... I've had visual snow most of my life. Hallucinogens did make me a lot more aware of it, and if I happen to do a bit of :350:, I notice it more than I would while sober. (and of course, now that I'm thinking about it, it's a shitload worse than usual... you just did the Rick Roll of visual snow :argh:)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 9, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

OH MY GOD

I thought I had/was experiencing "exploding head syndrome," but it turns out it was this! Once every few months, maybe every six months (but much, much more often as a kid), while trying to fall asleep or while daydreaming in class, I'd see something that looked nearly exactly like that image on the phosphene page, combined with a quick "BWUM," really fast like a gunshot. The "image" from the phosphene, would fade, and the noise would be immediately over, but it would start me awake. There were times as a teenager I would get four or five in a row, 10-30 seconds apart.

MY LIFE HAS MEANING NOW

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

I need a chime specifically to tell me that i have left the cap from the screenwash bottle that I have just used under the bonnet.

Five out of the last six times I refilled my screenwash, I left the bottlecap on top of either my battery box (okay) or engine block (not okay)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Everything except my windows and whatever smart rear end other thing u guys come up with on my car is manual so I don't need an annoying beeper telling me to turn my lights off

Good man. Power steering and brakes are bougie extravagences we can all do without.

• Locked thread