Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i loving loved halo 2, i thought it was the one most people considered the best of the trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Hell yeah. Becoming good at The Last of Us feels amazing, it's like you become a crouch-walking hobo of death.

I went back to it to get the platinum last year, did all the single player stuff but then I went online for the multiplayer trophies and everyone still playing at that point was using DLC shotguns with like the range of a rifle

it made me feel very bad at The Last of Us

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The Colonel posted:

i loving loved halo 2, i thought it was the one most people considered the best of the trilogy

I mean people certainly thought that about the multiplayer.

I don't know how it feels to go through the single-player these days. Especially since there's an entire other Halo game to satisfy your urban combat needs if that was your favorite part of 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember the original Halo trilogy all being pretty huge critical and commerical successes back in the day and Halo 4 the point where the series began to go off the rails for many.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
:siren: HOLY poo poo RISK OF RAIN 2 AND IT IS GONNA BE IN 3D :siren:

http://hopooo.tumblr.com/post/160452455554/devblog-1-our-next-project-weve-been-working

Aw man I loved the first game and I never thought we'd get a sequel to it :toot:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not super sure going 3D is the right direction for it...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
aaaa the ps2 shinobi places a collectable right in plain view in the second level and it looks like there are several ways you could reach it but every way you could try just leads to death

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Not super sure going 3D is the right direction for it...

I like that they are willing to take a risk into trying a new artstyle, and while it may not always work (look at how panned the sequel to Nidhogg already is), you can't let others rain on your parade

the gifs they provided give me a vibe of Megaman Legends and I always thought that game had a good style (the combat in that game though was horrendous ha ha)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I want a guarantee of rock-solid netcode before I get another Risk of Rain game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For things like that I just think it'd be better to spend time on content rather than overhauling the graphics engine to look like a different type of retro graphics

I will say they seeing nidhogg 2 in motion did sell me on that style a little.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
All the Bungie Halos did really well critically and sold a ton of copies. Halo 4 still did really well.

I miss when Microsoft tried, even when it ended in failure.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Resident Evil Revelations 2 is good

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So I got to Doors of Pharros. Just how many lockstones are in this game? :stare:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I did it i beat persona 5, true ending

Super game if you can hack it through 70 hrs. The ending is a great payoff too. Final boss fight is fun even though visually it looks kinda like every other japanese final boss ive seen lately.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

he's a koopa

But he looks nothing like the other koopas

And what is a koopa? And what is a yoshi? :tinfoil: they're both dinosaur-dragon-things.

Is a Yoshi like a good Koopa like a Mogwai? :tinfoil: :tinfoil: Don't feed Yoshis after midnight!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

But he looks nothing like the other koopas

And what is a koopa? And what is a yoshi? :tinfoil: they're both dinosaur-dragon-things.

Is a Yoshi like a good Koopa like a Mogwai? :tinfoil: :tinfoil: Don't feed Yoshis after midnight!

A yoshi is a good boshi

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

What happened to Halo? It used to be a superhuge series but now nobody cares about Halo.

The company that made Halo (Bungie) got tired of doing the same thing over and over and tried something new (Destiny) which was bad.

Meanwhile they sold the rights to Microsoft because Microsoft just wanted more and more of their cash cow, but then Microsoft hired a bunch of the wrong people and just tried to churn out focus-tested games that had no soul, so they were crap.

That's the story of Halo :smith:

Lizard Wizard posted:

A yoshi is a good boshi

Ah ya got me there, I forgot about ole Boshi race

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

And gears

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

I liked Halo 3 the most, and I played it for approximately 1 million hours. Halo 2 was awesome though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

I want a guarantee of rock-solid netcode before I get another Risk of Rain game.

:agreed:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

So I got to Doors of Pharros. Just how many lockstones are in this game? :stare:

The rat king covenant rewards you one for successfully hunting an intruder, so it's potentially unlimited. As a rule thumb don't use any lockstones in the two rat king areas unless you want to participate in the covenant.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm gonna go on a wild guess here and say that "Why people stopped caring about Halo" was because they're on dead consoles and never got PC ports despite being owned by Microsoft. No, the Vista Only port of 2 doesn't count.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

I'm gonna go on a wild guess here and say that "Why people stopped caring about Halo" was because they're on dead consoles and never got PC ports despite being owned by Microsoft. No, the Vista Only port of 2 doesn't count.

:lol: what an odd reality you're living in.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa posted:

video game consoles are really popular dude

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They probably think like xbox 360 is dead forgetting that mcc came out and flopped

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The rat king covenant rewards you one for successfully hunting an intruder, so it's potentially unlimited. As a rule thumb don't use any lockstones in the two rat king areas unless you want to participate in the covenant.

Eh, you gotta use some lockstones in the rat areas to get treasures. But yeah, you can get plenty of them easy once you in the late game. Lockstones are only rare early on.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I definitely played Halo 1 on PC

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i thought people forgot about halo because it was actually a very mediocre game and there have been eleventy billion games since then that have improved on it in every way

it's like asking "why did people forget about King's Quest"

EDIT: the King's Quest reboot is VERY GOOD though, probably because Roberta Williams wasn't involved

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Didn't Halo popularize the now-standard two-weapon limit and regenerating health?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it might have had something to do with regenerating health becoming a thing, but it was call of duty that really popularized it the way we know it, halo just gave you regenerating shields and then a separate, smaller health gauge that could only be replenished with medkits

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

i thought people forgot about halo because it was actually a very mediocre game and there have been eleventy billion games since then that have improved on it in every way

it's like asking "why did people forget about King's Quest"

Halo was really good for the time, it just stopped pushing things forward and couldn't keep up. Meanwhile Bungie caught back up with Destiny while MS has various people try to recreate something no one really wants anymore.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
anytime they want to port the MCC to windows, i'd be so happy

I played H1 back in the dorms and never played any of the others but Bungie can put together a shooter and it'd be nice to have it on pc. Destiny 2 is next on my radar now that Prey is out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i played some halo multiplayer at friends' houses and it just made me want to go get my dreamcast and slam unreal tournament in there

man i had a lot of fun playing online dreamcast. and dreamcast with a goddamn 56k connection allowed for lag-free games of Madden, UR tournament, pso and soul calibur, what sorcery is this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Didn't Halo popularize the now-standard two-weapon limit and regenerating health?

Yes Halo popularized the two-weapon limit, and they did it because the game was originally third person (well originally an RTS but then TPS and only later FPS) and they were going to have you see one gun in the guy's hand and the other gun on the guy's back so they didn't even need a UI for weapons beyond ammo.

But then it became a FPS but they kept it that way.

But yeah, Halo 1 had shields and health, which was pretty fair. It was COD that did the "blood screen for 5 seconds, back to full health" thing that's so popular and :effort: these days.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bet they weren't actually lag free

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish they would do a stealth based Resident Evil

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

7 is pretty close?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The parts where you have to hide from enemies in that game are pretty bad, though. At least the first one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Goodbody posted:

it's called The Last of Us and pursuant to my previous posts it owns super hard in the gameplay department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Just finished Hacknet. I had a good time with it. I guess I wasn't expecting it to end up so... melancholic?

e: for some reason I didn't get the achievement for beating the game though. Nevermind, the Steam page just didn't update for a while.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 9, 2017

• Locked thread