Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Fun intro thing

if you place an item outside the elevator and ride it up, it'll still be there, but the same isn't true of the helicopter ride. A note in the sim lab states that someone's supposed to make sure the chopper pad is clean of objects while the ride is going on.

I knew something was up when I tried this, but I didn't see the note where they actually address it in-game :captainpop:

Also fun note: if you manage to prop-ladder your way out of the walls around the helicopter there's a nice little stack of boxes so you can get back into the main area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is it normal when you enter the crew quarters from the arboretum that the game spawns a nightmare directly in front of you? I had no choice but to kill that thing, thankfully the gloo gun + shotgun seems to work well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I restarted the helicopter sim after I got out and accidentally fell out, causing me to have to slowly walk around in a square breaking glass until I found a door. It was pretty surreal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crustashio posted:

Is it normal when you enter the crew quarters from the arboretum that the game spawns a nightmare directly in front of you? I had no choice but to kill that thing, thankfully the gloo gun + shotgun seems to work well.

It's random, but that exact thing happened to me too yes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I went right to the arboretum instead of left (or up down since its zero g!) to the cargo bay through guts, will the plot take me back there at some point?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A fun little detail in the opening helicopter ride is Morgan taps their foot to the beat.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Since this is still a new game, I'm wondering what regrets people have about the way they've built their character. I jumped blind into Nightmare from the beginning and can say at this point that there are a few mods I invested in that probably aren't worth it:

Leverage above 1 - Took this all the way to 3 since I thought it would be necessary to access a bunch of secret areas that are blocked off by heavy debris. Would be much more neuromod-efficient to just throw an explosive canister or recycler grenade at the problem. One-shotting a phantom with a heavy object is an infrequent opportunity, as is prying open an unpowered door.

Dismantle - Thought getting more spare parts from operator corpses would be worthwhile. Maybe in a run where you go full human so turrets don't start shooting you halfway through the game, and you level up repair to be able to fortify turrets. Even then might not be worth the 3 neuromod investment

Kinetic Blast - Only got this because it was the first typhon mod I found, but knocking stuff around doesn't seem terribly useful to me. Probably better to dump everything into Psychoshock, since it will do damage and disable the more annoying aspects of dangerous enemies for long amounts of time. The fire one and electricity might be good as well but I haven't put points into them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only ones I regretted are:

- Hacking IV: All of the level 4 hacks I found allowed me into areas early or granted me access to PCs before the plot told me the password. I eventually found alternate, mandatory ways to get and see everything I got from it.

- The high jump augmentation: I didn't even end up needing this because the double jump upgrade you can find floating out in space gives you the exact same height boost. Sure, I could get HELLA high after that, but there was really nowhere I needed to go that high up anyway.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Is there a non-cosmetic difference between the preorder bonus Margrave shotgun and the standard one?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

No. none. Melt those other shotguns down.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I for the life of me can't find that guy in GUTS. Very frustrating

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Surprise attack on mimicked Russian Blinis!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I for the life of me can't find that guy in GUTS. Very frustrating

Once you re-activate his bracelet, go to a security station and mark him.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I like how if I've read an email on one computer, it's marked as read on the corresponding computer.

CJacobs posted:

:eyepop: I never even thought of using EMPs to deactivate those things.

In 99% of video games that would do nothing and they would only work on enemies and machines. *glares at Deus Ex HR, where that is absolutely the case*

Yeah, me either. Or using the stun gun to stun people. Hurr, yes, I know. On my first playthrough, I was frantically bombarding the mind controlled humans with everything I could while cursing their 50hp+ seemingly impossible to avoid attack. Stun gun just puts em down non-lethally instantly every time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Is anyone else feeling like the ps4 version has crazy sensitive movement controls?

I keep gently resting my thumb on the stick and my character moves a little

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Phantom shift, then scan your doppleganger :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Juked a Phantom the other day and he teleported forward into zero-gravity, rendering him in stasis :v: Then shot its head off.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Dammit I was hoping Kinetic Blast could loop hole leverage requirements but it barely moves them

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So uh, who all can you save in Crew Quarters.

I think I got mostly everyone, but one thing I noticed was Oliver Benoit, Alex's secretary was listed as alive up until I finished Crew Quarters. I found him dead in the Fitness Room, where the hallway was on fire. Another guy in there had half health. Was it possible to save him and he just wandered into the fire? Do I ever see these people again?.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Once you re-activate his bracelet, go to a security station and mark him.

I DID. I just can't seem to get to where he is

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

That's a tricky one. Despite being able to get 15m or so from him in the GUTS (man I hate that acronym), he's not there. He's in the cargo corridor at the end of the GUTS, past the magnetosphere, hugging a very large pipe. I want to say he's near a bottleneck with a couple of leaky radiation cans.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Phantom shift, then scan your doppleganger :v:

Nice

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I DID. I just can't seem to get to where he is

Follow the signs for the cargo tunnel, there seem to be two separate tunnels in the GUTS, one's a big conduit for water/electrics/etc, and the other is a larger one for cargo.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So the important question that needs answer: Is there femyu mimic rule 34 yet?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Morgan's secretary's password is hotboss. Oh lordy lord.

I love the incidental writing. It's really really good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Morgan's secretary's password is hotboss. Oh lordy lord.

I love the incidental writing. It's really really good.

Not just hotboss, but OMGhotboss.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Skippy McPants posted:

Not just hotboss, but OMGhotboss.

i think it's something like 0mgHotBoss! because Prey is the first game ever where all the passwords are actually secure passwords people would use

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So did anyone find out what a Reployer does?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Reploys.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think it's something like 0mgHotBoss! because Prey is the first game ever where all the passwords are actually secure passwords people would use

people don't use secure passwords lol

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
I need your help guys. Tell me if I'm being a huge loving dumbass - but I'm not buying any of the alien powerups because Alex Yu says they are great and then January is telling me that I shouldn't take too many because I'll become like them etc. I feel like the game isn't built around the way I'm doing it and it's kind of getting to be difficult in some parts because guns really suck in general, and I have a shiton of resources but not the primary one that is for ammo/resources I'm hoping there's some sort of payoff at the end for doing it this way, but if there isn't I'm gonna feel like a fool.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

an actual dog posted:

people don't use secure passwords lol

Yeah but the point is it's the bare minimum so it really is just a word and then because of IT policy it has a capital letter and a number or a punctuation mark or both.

So your secretary had OmgHotBoss and then they just added the number and mark to be 0mgHotBoss! just like someone would transform it in real life.

Even Morgan's password is something like FParad0x1.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kontradaz posted:

I need your help guys. Tell me if I'm being a huge loving dumbass - but I'm not buying any of the alien powerups because Alex Yu says they are great and then January is telling me that I shouldn't take too many because I'll become like them etc. I feel like the game isn't built around the way I'm doing it and it's kind of getting to be difficult in some parts because guns really suck in general, and I have a shiton of resources but not the primary one that is for ammo/resources I'm hoping there's some sort of payoff at the end for doing it this way, but if there isn't I'm gonna feel like a fool.

At the very least there is an achievement for that.

I think there's also a tweet from the developer saying "Of course you can do that, that's too obvious" when people were spitballing what the Secret Playstyle was

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

In addition to the achievement, there is an after credits scene where your choices throughout the game get summed up. So far as I know, it has no other impact.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

Not a direct answer but try glooing or stunning opponents as an opener. Both lead to bonus damage against enemies, saving you ammo. I have over 160 pistol rounds and 30 shells without making more than one set of shotgun ammo all game.

I also throw large objects at things a lot, so that helps too.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ravenfood posted:

Not a direct answer but try glooing or stunning opponents as an opener. Both lead to bonus damage against enemies, saving you ammo. I have over 160 pistol rounds and 30 shells without making more than one set of shotgun ammo all game.

I also throw large objects at things a lot, so that helps too.

Also you can upgrade the guns themselves, and the security skills for weapons damage. You can 4 - shot a Nightmare with a shotgun that way.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Just "reached" Cargo Bay.

Uh devs, maybe work on the sound mixing a bit. That was a bit baffling to say the least.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

Rookersh posted:

Just "reached" Cargo Bay.

Uh devs, maybe work on the sound mixing a bit. That was a bit baffling to say the least.

Not sure if this is related, but at one point I had two different transcribes playing, January running his mouth, a station-wide announcement blaring, along with some suddenly dramatic music that came from seemingly nowhere and for seemingly nothing. It was quite the aural experience.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Do you ever see the survivors you save anywhere? I went through all that trouble saving everyone in Crew Quarters where the gently caress did they all go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Even on my second playthrough i keep finding new sidequests, Talos I is huge