Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
What I'm figuring happens is she isn't the top guy, and everything will be pinned on that guy, her walking away scott free as 'just following orders' or some such.

Edit: Bonus points if the top guy is one of the dead guys.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Double bonus points if the top guy was infected by Subject N and manipulated into conducting human experimentation, not only to cause constant misery to others but to also bring down LABO and the government when it was eventually and inevitably exposed. Playing the long con!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Methuselah's Children: 09/22/2027, 17:14

Just as Dr. Tenkawa had implied, there wasn't a single experiment since that last one. Salyu spent the whole time alone in this room reading a book.

The story involved a scientist attempting to create an electronic brain with a sense of ''self''-- And in that process was the following excerpt:

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Tips posted:

TIP: How babies learn to speak
Category: Nonfiction

Humans learn words in a surprisingly short amount of time in their infancy. How do they accomplish such language acquisition? It is a process that everybody goes through, yet nobody knows the specifics even to this day.

Halfway through the 20th century, the mainstream theory of infant language acquisition was that infants learned by imitating how their parents spoke with other adults. Thus, there were some attempts to interpret the linguistic structures of infant babbling, but the results were fruitless. Not even adults speak consistently with perfect grammar. Furthermore, discovering the linguistic structures of languages is a difficult task for adults as well. In contrast, American linguist Avram Noam Chomsky proposed that perhaps humans were innately born with the fundamental knowledge systems for language speaking. He inspired a new school of thought on linguistics, putting the focus not on the words said, but on the ability to form said words.

Linguistics, cognitive science, structuralism, neuroscience... Various fields are taking different approaches to solve the age-old question, but the truth of infant language acquisition still remains an enigma.

But she still found some parts thought-provoking.

(Maybe I'm something like the ''high capacity disk'' this protagonist mentioned... What's particularly similar is how neither of us chooses the knowledge we gain.)

But there was nothing to be gained by just pondering that fact. She perceived herself, others, and everything in the environment around her simply as the way they were. Just then, the door finally opened again after weeks of being shut, and in walked the professor.

For an experiment?
No, today's a physical examination. Let's go to Area 5.

That would mean Salyu would make the rare departure from Area Zero. Since she was a little fed up with the tedium, Salyu happily nodded at the professor's words.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Along the way, Salyu asked the professor a question.

Professor, I heard I was an orphan.
That's right. When you were an infant, you were in an orphanage in France that went bankrupt, and so I took custody of you since you had nowhere to go.

The professor answered without any change in her facial expression. But Salyu shook her head.

Lies.
Huh?
I was born in LABO, wasn't I? I'm the child of a former LABO test subject, aren't I?

Those words stopped the professor in her tracks.

--Who told you this?
The man whose memories were transferred the other day had knowledge of that information.
...!
Is it true?
...It is.

The professor spoke in a shameful voice. And then she continued in a tone of consolation.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

I know it might come as a shock to you, Yui...
Not particularly.

All she thought was ''Oh''. The circumstances of her birth were irrelevant to changing anything about her future. But she was still curious about something.

Who were my father and mother?
... ...If I tell you, can you promise to never bring up this topic again?
Promise.

And with that, Dr. Tenkawa took a deep breath and answered.

...Your mother was a Frenchwoman named Alice Enflamme.

Tips posted:

TIP: Alice Enflamme
Category: Fiction

A French girl known among those in BC-related agencies as the world's first Rank S Aptitude Communicator. Deceased. Age 21 at time of death.

She was deified as a child of God by her avaricious parents, and without her knowing why, she spent her days forced to use Senses Sympathy, causing the ''Andresy Witch Hunt''.

Afterwards, she halfway fled her country to Japan, relying on the Japanese government as they were the first among the developed nations to begin efforts to protect Communicators. She spent her new days in the PRC under the name of Communicator A, opening her heart little by little to Eishi Azumi, the researcher in charge of her.

However, by the time she came to .Japan, she had already shown signs of N-ification. The process could not be stopped. In 2014, she became the trigger for the Great Rokumei City Arson. The event spurred the legislative process to complete the establishment of LABO in the government designated top secret city Rokumei by 2016. Alice was transferred to Area Zero in LABO for N-ification treatment.

Roughly a year later, she was confirmed as being six months pregnant, but her N-ification had progressed to the point where she was too weak to even maintain her sense of self. She left this world just as her daughter entered it.

According to what little records remain, she lived her days in France as a gentle girl who loved flowers.

The very first Rank S Aptitude Communicator discovered in the world, thirteen years ago, in the time when BC was just starting to gain recognition. ...She was designated as Communicator A and became the trigger that led to LABO's establishment.
Where's my mother now?
After you were born... she passed away due to postpartum complications.

Tips posted:

TIP: Postpartum death
Category: Includes fiction

After giving birth, it takes some time (about six to eight weeks) for a woman's body to return to the state it was at prior to pregnancy. This time is called the postpartum period and the mother herself may be referred to as a postpartum woman. The risks of pregnancy for a mother do not end after the safe delivery of the child.

Deflation of the enlarged uterus, discharge of the secretion known as lochia, weight loss, fevers... The mother's body goes through many steps in its long recovery process.

A process perhaps too harsh for Alice Enflamme's body to handle after she had already been exhausted in both mind and body prior to delivery.

Then my father?
Your father was a LABO researcher named Eishi Azumi, the administrator in charge of Alice at the time.

Tips posted:

TIP: Eishi Azumi
Category: Fiction

PRC researcher. Deceased.

He thrived in multiple careers and was designated as head of the parapsychology research team in charge of Alice Enflamme, that is, Communicator A. With the help of Tetsuyoshi Kuroda and Jin Tsubakiyama, he built a favorable relationship with A, and with occasional friendly competition from the Tenkawas, his research made solid results.

After the Great Rokumei City Arson in 2014, he pushed forward on the imminent issue of establishing a treatment facility for N-ified Communicators, contributing greatly to the establishment of LABO.

Thus, once LABO was completed in 2016, he devoted all his focus onto the field of researching and treating N-ified test subjects. He obtained fruitful results including the completion of AD's prototype, but unfortunately, those days did not last long. In July 2017, it was established that A was six months pregnant. Azumi took responsibility for the Great Rokumei City Arson as the one in charge of A, and was deprived of his role as research team head. In the midst of despair, he was transferred to a related enterprise where his accidental death was shortly reported. However, it remains somewhat doubtful if his death was indeed a simple accident.

AD-- Alone Desire. While Azumi's prototype ''BC receptor anesthetic'' had major side effects on the human body, those have been solved, and AD is still in use today. Unfortunately, however, the usage of Azumi's drug did not seem to conform to his heartfelt intentions for the girl who had a lone desire to be left alone.

He fell in love with Alice while she was confined...
Love...?
...By the time Alice was confined in LABO, she was already inflicted with a terrible mental condition. But there were times where she would regain her sanity. She often told us 'please kill me'. It was hard for me to bear... but it must've been even tougher on Mr. Azumi since he was in charge of her. Eventually, his sympathy and compassion turned into romantic feelings for her. The two of them began to hold secret rendezvous. Alice too established an emotional bond with him during her fleeting periods of sanity... and then you were conceived.
Oh. What happened to him afterwards?
... ...Before you were born, he died in an accident during an experiment.

Salyu consolidated all of that information in her head. She quickly concluded the circumstances behind her birth.

So is this what happened? A researcher impregnated a confined test subject. LABO tried to cover up the scandal. But the test subject was a top Communicator. So the child would possibly be born a Communicator as well. LABO wanted a test subject they could follow from birth, so instead of abortion, they had the mother carry the child to term. I am that child. Is that it?
N-no...! LABO's ethics hadn't sunken that low at the time. It wasn't until her 6th month that Alice was discovered to be pregnant. With her already being on the cusp of her third trimester, abortion was impossible...
I understand now.
...This facility started going crazy after Mr. Azumi died. That man was the conscience of LABO...
But I've been confined here as a test subject even after all that. For what reason?
...Because you have no living relatives... and it was thought it would be too hard for you to live on your own... That, and... the top brass didn't wish for you to live outside... ...I'm sorry. I've got nothing but excuses.

Dr. Tenkawa muttered that bitterly. Salyu sighed and asked another question.

...I didn't have any aptitude at all. I'd be useless to LABO, wouldn't I?
You were given roles so that wouldn't be the case. The WX particle exposure experiment was part of it. The energy amounts were managed so that they would not have any lethal effects on your body. Even the official stance was that your existence wouldn't be without meaning as long as those sorts of experiments persisted.

Then the same probably went for the ''memory transfer experiment''. Ever since long ago, Salyu did not think it was a particularly useful experiment. There was no meaning behind turning a test subject into a prodigy if she couldn't leave LABO. But not even Salyu wanted to think about what happened to test subjects whose existences lost meaning. As Salyu's thought process reached a dead end, the professor spoke up.

...Say, Yui. You can at least believe in this. You were not an unwanted child. You are a product of your parents' love for one another.
That doesn't matter either way-- but if neither of my parents were around, then who named me?
Huh?
My name, 'Yui'. Who named me that?

Salyu's designation was ''Subject Y''. But Dr. Tenkawa was the only one to call her ''Yui'', and only when the two of them were alone.

...I did. Because your parents both died before they could name you.
Why that name?
I wanted to give that name to my daughter if I ever had one. 'Yui' because I wanted to raise a girl 'wrapped in gentleness'. ...Do you hate it?
No. It's not particularly uncomfortable here. You're gentle too, Professor. Above all, you gave me a name. So I like it.

The professor's eyes widened at those words. She then hung her head without saying anything.

...?

Salyu peeked into the professor's face.

Professor, why are you crying?

The professor said nothing. The only sound in the quiet hall was the soft pitter-patter of falling teardrops.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Oh look, the game is trying to make us think miyoko is less of a monster

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

TheMcD posted:

N-no...! LABO's ethics hadn't sunken that low at the time.
I find that hard to believe

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Yeah, that whole thing stinks of a few half-truths. As much as Miyoko deserves herself some comeuppance, the game is really pushing "She's just being forced into doing these horrible things! We swear..."

Ukita did nothing wrong, and is the hero this game deserves.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Llab posted:

Yeah, that whole thing stinks of a few half-truths. As much as Miyoko deserves herself some comeuppance, the game is really pushing "She's just being forced into doing these horrible things! We swear..."

Ukita did nothing wrong, and is the hero this game deserves.

Honestly
he kind of is, so far

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Now trending on the Rokumei City Boards:

#ukitadidnothingwrong
#mashironLIVES
#dontbelieveLABOslies
#Ihaveateenageaxemurderasmybrainbackup

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Did nothing wrong:
-Ukita
-Watase

Didn't do anything wrong until the lockdown incident:
-Natsuhiko

Did everything wrong:
-Mashiro
-Miyoko

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ughhh yeah they actually went there fuuuuuuuuuuuu-

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, to be fair to Miyo- oh god where did you get all those torches and pitchforks from heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
The guy who was doing research on Alice should've been transferred far away the moment anyone noticed that he was feeling too sympathetic to Alice. Like, Salyu knows how hosed up her entire life is, and she was raised in a cell, basically.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Llab posted:

The guy who was doing research on Alice should've been transferred far away the moment anyone noticed that he was feeling too sympathetic to Alice. Like, Salyu knows how hosed up her entire life is, and she was raised in a cell, basically.

Seriously. Historically power dynamics like the ones involved here never ended well. Especially in Japan of all loving places.

quote:

N-no...! LABO's ethics hadn't sunken that low at the time. It wasn't until her 6th month that Alice was discovered to be pregnant. With her already being on the cusp of her third trimester, abortion was impossible...

She said, to a girl being kept as a lab rat whose personality was slowly being overwritten for the government's gains.

quote:

...Say, Yui. You can at least believe in this. You were not an unwanted child. You are a product of your parents' love for one another.

You suck so much Miyoko.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"I totally care about you even though all of my actions prove otherwise" is an apt summary of Miyoko, really.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Yeah, no, still on the 'Miyoko did everything wrong' train and riding that poo poo to the station.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I mean, Miyoko at least called people by their names, so she's the least worst of LABO's senior members, which might be the lowest bar to set :smith:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Anybody want to bet LABO had that guy killed after he perfected his anti-BC serum?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, guys, Miyoko certainly isn't GOOD, not by any stretch of the imagination, but her superiors/bosses certainly have to be worse than her, at least.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Junpei posted:

Okay, guys, Miyoko certainly isn't GOOD, not by any stretch of the imagination, but her superiors/bosses certainly have to be worse than her, at least.

the concentration camp guards weren't as bad as the concentration camp commander, either.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Junpei posted:

Her bosses aren't about to be tearfully vindicated by the plot.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Haifisch posted:

Did nothing wrong:
-Ukita
-Watase

Nah they did nothing wrong, they just set up multiple ticking time bombs that kill everyone because they have no clue what they're doing. No biggie.

Also their plan would have gotten a ton of people malice-infected, causing a repeat of the The Great Arson. Let's forget about that too.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Cyouni posted:

Nah they did nothing wrong, they just set up multiple ticking time bombs that kill everyone because they have no clue what they're doing. No biggie.

Also their plan would have gotten a ton of people malice-infected, causing a repeat of the The Great Arson. Let's forget about that too.

Counterpoint, they deliberately set it up so that nobody would get hurt, and two, how the gently caress were they supposed to know anything about N-ifying people since LABO kept a stranglehold on the information because :moreevil:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cyouni posted:

You defend Mashiro and Yuuri's actions and yet Watase and Ukita's actions are a bidge too far, despite being caused by circumstances outside of their control?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wait what was Mashiro's crime other than Miyoko saying "hi natsuhiko's brain will implode if you mention Yuuri dying so can you not" and then her taking care of her broke-brained friend for years?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"There are terrorists around! It's my job, as a teenaged anime, to solve this! Now watch as I get angry when my friend doesn't agree, then race off to probable death on my own!"

OK, sure, it's the only reason we're in LABO solving all these mysteries(which will presumably lead to everything being all better in the end), but what she did was still loving stupid.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm still not over her "why are you being so mean to your absantee mother Natsuhiko, that's not nice!!" tbh

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

GeneralYeti posted:

Counterpoint, they deliberately set it up so that nobody would get hurt, and two, how the gently caress were they supposed to know anything about N-ifying people since LABO kept a stranglehold on the information because :moreevil:

SSNeoman posted:

You defend Mashiro and Yuuri's actions and yet Watase and Ukita's actions are a bidge too far, despite being caused by circumstances outside of their control?

So then the question becomes: how much do you trust Q, the self-proclaimed terrorist organization that wants to blow things up and hates Communicators to the point where they were protesting against them daily (and that's what you know about)? If you're Watase and Ukita, apparently completely.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about their amazing planning in "we've taken AD, we're safe from malice under 4k but forget about those researchers, and let's stay in the WX amplifier area".

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 9, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

GeneralYeti posted:

...they specifically mentioned communicators can go crazy and infect people with malice in their briefing trying to get Watase on board. In fact specifically talking about Alice and the Arson.

In fact just before Watase let N out, the scientist was warning him about this exact thing happening.

But no, don't even give the guy the thing that could prevent it, just pull the pin out of the grenade and wait til the boom.

Edit: Point being, everyone in the game is terrible. For different reasons.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 9, 2017

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

Edit: Point being, everyone in the game is terrible. For different reasons.

I'll not have you malign Best Buddy Jun this way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

If there was anything Best Buddy Jun did wrong...

It's that she was Best Buddies with the Engine Cutter.

Is that so wrong?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

For the record, I considered attempting to defend Miyoko. However, I realized that doing that was going to turn into devil's advocating of the highest order and a really protracted argument, and I decided I didn't need that poo poo.

Now, if it was Salyu...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Childhood's End: 10/01/2027, 14:06

The uneventful days continued a little while longer. Salyu had finished reading all of the books the professor bought for her, but even so, there were no incoming plans for experiments. She started to get anxious.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

Salyu looked towards the door that would not open. She had thought that the days would repeat the same way forever. That the professor would come into the room like usual and take her for another experiment.

(In any case, something's strange...)

But there was no way for her to find out the cause behind the situation. Right as she pondered what to do-- The door opened.

Professor!

Salyu called out reflexively.

...Yui.
What's today's experiment, Professor?

Salyu was happy to see the professor, thinking her arrival meant the return of life as usual. But-- something was different that day.

...I'm sorry, Yui. The memory transfer experiment has been terminated. You're no longer participating in experiments.

Salyu doubted her ears. In other words, she had been released from her one and only duty.

--Why?
Subject N... has lost her individuality. And the experiments cannot continue with her in that state...
...You don't mean... N-ification?

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

She remembered hearing that term before. But what she couldn't remember was if she heard it with her own ears, or if it was a copy of someone else's knowledge. But what she knew for sure was that once N-ified, Communicators did not return to normal.

...Perhaps six years of experimentation were too much for her brain to handle.
What about the new Communicator? There's someone designated as Subject Y-II, isn't there?
It's been decided... that she won't participate in the memory transfer experiment. She's the last Communicator LABO has, so she cannot be exposed to any risk of N-ifioation. So... the experiments can no longer continue.
No!

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Salyu shouted before she realized it. She clung to the professor and spoke with a trembling voice.

Please do more experiments, Professor. I can't-- I can't stand being a meaningless existence. Cramming in memories is the meaning of my existence. I'm an empty void made for that purpose, aren't I? Please don't take my role away from me.
I'm sorry, Yui. It's too dangerous to continue the experiments. Your brain's been negatively affected, too.
!?
Have you not noticed any symptoms? If we're not mistaken, your self-consciousness has been growing to extreme heights, but in return, you've been losing the ability to understand others' feelings.
Lies...
Okay then, Yui, can you tell how I'm feeling right now?
I can.

Dr. Tenkawa smiled. Her smile was a key detail for Salyu to judge. Salyu felt like she was making a serious mistake somewhere-- but she stated her judgment nonetheless.

You're having fun...?

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

The moment Salyu gave her answer-- tears suddenly welled up in the professor's eyes. The professor cried while still smiling.

...P-Professor, what does that facial expression mean...?
...It's okay. You don't have to think about it anymore.

The professor hugged Salyu's shoulders as she spoke.

You're already at the limit... I swear, I will do everything that I can... so, please...

Her voice was gentle. So gentle that even Salyu could just barely recognize that the professor was worried about her. But none of that mattered to Salyu. For she was now aware that she had been cut away from the world-- --and she shuddered at the loneliness.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Well, at least this stopped before Salyu become a completely empathy-less shell of a person? :shepface:

Funny how nobody seemed to stop and go "you know, maybe having dozens of people's memories crammed into one person's brain might gently caress them up a bit? Maybe we should monitor that more closely?"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It doesn't help that their laboratories and scientists get blown up/burnt to heck/killed via malice madness when it happens so documentation is understandably a little spotty.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cyouni posted:

So then the question becomes: how much do you trust Q, the self-proclaimed terrorist organization that wants to blow things up and hates Communicators to the point where they were protesting against them daily (and that's what you know about)? If you're Watase and Ukita, apparently completely.

I don't trust Q, but I do trust Watase and Ukita. Besides from the looks of things Q might actually be onto something here. Like MEXT wasn't much better. Alice was still treated like an experiment.
I'm also not convinced that what we know about Q doesn't just come from Rokumei's propaganda.

Cyouni posted:

Oh yeah I totally forgot about their amazing planning in "we've taken AD, we're safe from malice under 4k but forget about those researchers, and let's stay in the WX amplifier area".

That is far, far from the worst plot beat we've had so far. And I don't think they knew about the malice thing. To them it just looked like LABO strung up a girl in a iron maiden straitjacket.

Haifisch posted:

Don't worry, it'll turn out that Communicator A infected her with malice so nothing that happened in the years since is her fault. :downs:

you joke but I bet that's what will happen

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 10, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

SSNeoman posted:

And I don't think they knew about the malice thing. To them it just looked like LABO strung up a girl in a iron maiden straitjacket.

Why do people keep saying this?

They specifically talk about Alice going crazy and malice infecting people and that being the cause of the Arson when trying to convince Watase.

The scientists explicitly warn about this exact thing happening.

But nope. Don't even give 'em AD :downs:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I don't trust Q, but I do trust Watase and Ukita. Besides from the looks of things Q might actually be onto something here. Like MEXT wasn't much better. Alice was still treated like an experiment.
I'm also not convinced that what we know about Q doesn't just come from Rokumei's propaganda.

That is far, far from the worst plot beat we've had so far. And I don't think they knew about the malice thing. To them it just looked like LABO strung up a girl in a iron maiden straitjacket.

I suggest you reread Watase and Ukita's sections again.

Watase's covers how the Anti-BC League basically treated Communicators as second-class citizens, going "they're not allowed to live here unless we say so". Their literal policy is "Communicators are abominations". In Ena's, it's specifically noted that back then they also forced their way into the PRC to continue with their ideology of "gently caress Communicators", and they were the reason that LABO's increased defenses were planned in the first place.
Ukita's covers how they're 100% willing to blow up things they don't agree with, and actually requires that they blow up LABO as part of it, disregarding everything else. It also, by the by, covers specifically how Q's responsible for the continuous arsons and bombing.
Lastly, their plan ends in delivering whoever is 'rescued' to Q, by Watase's own admission.

Ukita's brief of Watase covers how Senses Sympathy can spread malice, and the researchers specifically warn them of that. Watase's response is "we've taken AD, we're fine". But obviously, the researchers haven't taken AD, and AD only protects from 4k or less when they were specifically planning on increasing the WX particle amount from the beginning.

Regarding MEXT, you seem to be missing the whole point of it.

quote:

After the witch hunt, worldwide Communicator discrimination and persecution became a frequent occurrence. But at the same time, Rokumei City and the PRC worked against that trend, promoting protection for Communicators. Discriminated Communicators were recommended to migrate to Rokumei City and in exchange for becoming test subjects for BC research, they'd receive financial aid for their entire livelihood... It was a win-win situation for both the Communicators who wished to live in peace, and the PRC who wished to advance BC research.
The whole purpose was to protect Communicators that were discriminated against in exchange for research data, in the same fashion as paid clinical trials.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

The scientists explicitly warn about this exact thing happening.

But nope. Don't even give 'em AD :downs:

They didn't connect 2 and 2 together. I mean I get it, it was a charged situation and Watase wasn't feeling charitable to people who were keeping kids locked up. But okay, I take the point.

Cyouni posted:

The whole purpose was to protect Communicators that were discriminated against in exchange for research data, in the same fashion as paid clinical trials.

I'm pretty sure this is the game lying to us. They still kept people locked up as test subjects. Sure for their own protection, but they weren't much better than LABO in the grand scheme of things. We are talking about an organization which let a guy get romantically involved with a VIP Communicator, and they still used the single letter designation system which obviously led to LABO's system. And besides, it's quite convenient that Alice already showed signs of N-ification when she arrived there. A more likely story is that they used her for their trials and this caused her to go N-ified.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah no, there is no way that that situation wasn't taken advantage of in some way considering how things have gone and how Rokumei City is set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what kind of strings Miyoko pulled to let Salyu out of LABO.

• Locked thread