Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

DariusLikewise posted:

Buy weed stocks and wait for next July

being Canadian owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
TSE:WEED is an aquisition target for TSE:L. Vertically integrated WEED.

OK boys what's your latest earnings plays? I'm long on TSE:T

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 4, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

DariusLikewise posted:

No I disagree, in this situation you want to dump everything in the RRSP.

Canadian tech stocks and housing! It can only go up!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Can this also be the "rant about Canadians that are bad with money thread"?

I had a friend tell me last weekend that I need to dump all my mutual funds/ETFs and buy weed stocks because he knows a guy that has made over 500% since he invested, also I'm stupid for not buying a bigger house and spending the entirety of the mortgage pre-approval I received from the bank, all that equity!! All that in about in the span of about 15 minutes.

This is why I trust strangers on a dead internet comedy forum that I shitpost on more than friends and family when it comes to money.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

I had a friend tell me last weekend that I need to dump all my mutual funds/ETFs and buy weed stocks because he knows a guy that has made over 500% since he invested, also I'm stupid for not buying a bigger house and spending the entirety of the mortgage pre-approval I received from the bank, all that equity!! All that in about in the span of about 15 minutes.

This is why I trust strangers on a dead internet comedy forum that I shitpost on more than friends and family when it comes to money.

If you want to slam him consider using a smith manoeuvre against your home to leverage into indexes.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

DariusLikewise posted:

I was up 25% on my weed stocks at one point but poo poo's tanked hard. I bet I'm even or worse. Index up over 10% during same time, haha.

I only have 1.5% of my net worth into it so I can still sleep at night. I'm going long.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you want to slam him consider using a smith manoeuvre against your home to leverage into indexes.

Didn't the CRA kill that?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Thanks to the thread for the advice regarding Questrade. I've been doing some research and I think I'm ready to open an account. I'll start with a TFSA, and deposit my unused contribution room for this year and last.

One question though: I understand that Questrade lets you purchase ETFs for free, but i cant find any information on commission fees when you sell. Can anyone tell me how that works?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Didn't the CRA kill that?

No, it's (still) perfectly legal as far as they are concerned, as long as you do it correctly.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Bucswabe posted:

One question though: I understand that Questrade lets you purchase ETFs for free, but i cant find any information on commission fees when you sell. Can anyone tell me how that works?

Questrade can tell you how that works! It's just a standard "stocks" trade.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
What are folks paying for tenant insurance?

Just realized I never really bothered to shop around, dunno if I'm getting ripped off or not. Curious if this is at least ballpark average or if I should look into changing it up.

In Vancouver though TD I'm paying $50/m for $60k coverage, $1m liability, and includes earthquake coverage. $300 deductible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm paying $45 or so a month for I think pretty similar in Whistler. Mine includes a bunch of coverage of ski gear and stuff though, too.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I pay about $42/month in Toronto with $2 million in liability, unlimited coverage for computers and fine art (lol) and something like $50-$75k for other contents. Its pretty standard but does cover sewer back-ups which I know from news stories a few years ago (in Hamilton) is something a lot of companies exclude. No deductible due to length of coverage (10 years).

Foodship9
Oct 22, 2010
Can someone explain to me why the Morningstar risk rating for the TD e-fund for Canadian Bonds is "above average"? I was under the impression that bonds were low risk/low return. Or is it just that they're negatively correlated to your equities so even if the bonds drop the equitites in your portfolio will likely negate the loss?

On that note, are bonds still the preferred portfolio balancer, even for shorter investment horizons like 3-year or 5-year? Or should I be looking into cash or GIC alternatives?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The Butcher posted:

What are folks paying for tenant insurance?

Just realized I never really bothered to shop around, dunno if I'm getting ripped off or not. Curious if this is at least ballpark average or if I should look into changing it up.

In Vancouver though TD I'm paying $50/m for $60k coverage, $1m liability, and includes earthquake coverage. $300 deductible.

I'm about 42/mo in ON with something like 100k coverage, 1mm liability, and flood coverage with 500 or 1k deductible. The previous few places I've lived in (not all in ON) have been similarly priced for similar coverage with a low of 35 with no flood insurance and high of 50 with tornado insurance. Your rates don't seem out of the ordinary but it never hurts to call around every now and again to see what the competition offers.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good grief, you guys are getting ripped off, I haven't paid the equivalent of even 30/month possibly ever... And I do carry around 60k in possession coverage. My current coverage is through TD but sonnet.ca quotes substantially cheaper and is my current go-to recommendation. Free online quote, etc.

Incidentally I think earthquake coverage on (most) tenant policies is usually an expensive joke. Is your home really going to be reduced to a flaming pile of rubble even in a truly massive earthquake? And you're going to live and the insurance company will pay out? Owners at least have a structure to repair.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 8, 2017

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

James Baud posted:

My current coverage is through TD but sonnet.ca quotes substantially cheaper and is my current go-to recommendation. Free online quote, etc.

Wow those are some way better rates. Pretty steep deductible though, min $1k.

Looks like there are some better deals out there to be had for sure. Gonna keep shopping around. Always good to review these kind of "set it and forget it" type expenses every now and then.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Foodship9 posted:

Can someone explain to me why the Morningstar risk rating for the TD e-fund for Canadian Bonds is "above average"? I was under the impression that bonds were low risk/low return. Or is it just that they're negatively correlated to your equities so even if the bonds drop the equitites in your portfolio will likely negate the loss?

On that note, are bonds still the preferred portfolio balancer, even for shorter investment horizons like 3-year or 5-year? Or should I be looking into cash or GIC alternatives?

The risk is being compared to benchmark, not other asset classes. Morningstar is saying that fund is slightly riskier than benchmark funds in the Canadian Fixed Income class.

Bonds are fine for the 3 to 5 year time horizon.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Guest2553 posted:

Someone else did the math better than I ever could so I'll link there instead, but in summation:

quote:

When TFSA is full options are 1)You may stash the savings temporarily in a Taxable account until your income puts you into that higher tax bracket. This comes at the cost of losing the benefit from sheltering profits from tax; 2)You may use the RRSP normally, claiming the tax deduction now. This comes at the cost of paying the penalty from a rise in tax; 3)You may use the RRSP but delay claiming the tax deduction until you are in that higher tax bracket. This comes at the cost paying the penalty from that delay.

Which one is best depends on your specific numbers, but an RRSP with a delayed-deduction is NEVER the best choice.
A Taxable account is best when the interval will be short. Especially at low tax rates, the taxes paid on profits will be small relative to the Penalty from an increase in tax rates or the Penalty from a delay in claiming the tax deduction.
An RRSP with immediate-deduction is best when the interval will be longer, (but never when your tax rate now is 0%).
This is because the cost of paying taxes grows faster with time, than the penalty from a higher tax rate at the end.
It is quite reasonable to use an RRSP with an immediate tax deduction when your future is not certain. Since the future is unknown, unless you know for a certainty that your tax brackets will be higher later in life, it seems a poor trade-off to continually pay taxes on profits using a Taxable account just to avoid the Penalty from an increase in tax rates that may in fact never happen.
The RRSP delayed-deduction choice is NEVER the best choice. It is sometimes better than using the RRSP normally, but in all those situations using the Taxable account gives better outcomes than either. This may be your choice when forced to use an employer's RRSP plan to get their matching, or when you have already made the RRSP contributions and are left with only the choice to claim the deduction or not.
The RRSP delayed-deduction choice is only better than using the RRSP normally when the interval is short.
The Penalty from a delayed deduction grows faster than the Penalty from an increased in tax rates. The maximum delay can be roughly calculated by ...'the percent increase in the tax rate divided by the investment's rate of return'.

mojo1701a posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around taxable being better than delaying, though. Aren't you allowing compounding in the RRSP that you'd otherwise pay tax on?

I'm super confused by this. Can someone opine on whether I'm doing my savings totally wrong for my situation.

I'm currently making what I expect to be close to as much as I ever will in this career (as-yet undiscovered rock star status notwithstanding). I also have fairly low expenses, so I'm able to save about 40% of my gross income, but I've only started serious saving in the past two years. I put enough into RRSPs this year to get 10k back, which I also put right into my RRSP. (Actually calculated in advance, used my LoC to contribute and paid off the balance with the return)

I currently don't have a TSFA, as I was thinking I'd max my returns and get everything crammed into my investments to maximize compounding. Should I forfeit some of the return money up front to load my TFSA with more earlier?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

mr.belowaverage posted:

I'm super confused by this. Can someone opine on whether I'm doing my savings totally wrong for my situation.

I'm currently making what I expect to be close to as much as I ever will in this career (as-yet undiscovered rock star status notwithstanding). I also have fairly low expenses, so I'm able to save about 40% of my gross income, but I've only started serious saving in the past two years. I put enough into RRSPs this year to get 10k back, which I also put right into my RRSP. (Actually calculated in advance, used my LoC to contribute and paid off the balance with the return)

I currently don't have a TSFA, as I was thinking I'd max my returns and get everything crammed into my investments to maximize compounding. Should I forfeit some of the return money up front to load my TFSA with more earlier?

They're talking about minmaxing your remaining tax shelter room once you've filled up your TFSA and presumably have the means to quickly fill up your RRSP once you bump up to a higher tax bracket. That doubly doesn't describe you, so I don't think you're missing anything there.

I found this post very helpful for understanding what's going on with these two different tax shelters. Maybe you'll find it helpful too?

As an aside, while you are Doing It Right by putting your tax refund right back into your RRSP, I'm a little suspicious of you borrowing your tax return on your LoC to squeeze a few more dollar-months into your RRSP. You can simply get your refund back on each paycheque instead by filling out a T1213. Remember that compounding works its magic on the scale of decades, not months.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

mr.belowaverage posted:

You're doing fine as is.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

pokeyman posted:

As an aside, while you are Doing It Right by putting your tax refund right back into your RRSP, I'm a little suspicious of you borrowing your tax return on your LoC to squeeze a few more dollar-months into your RRSP. You can simply get your refund back on each paycheque instead by filling out a T1213. Remember that compounding works its magic on the scale of decades, not months.

Good tip on the T1213, thanks. But if I don't end up even paying interest in the short time I borrowed against my LoC, does it matter? I really can't guarantee I'll save as much as I want to over the year, so it's not like I'm doing my 2017 taxes now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If you're not paying interest then yeah, go for it. I'm kinda paranoid about stuff like that, like I assume I'll mess it up and do something a day late and blah blah. Sounds like you've got it covered.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

What's a good choice for bond ETFs in a registered account? I can stick with VAB but going all in on Canada seems dumb.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

yippee cahier posted:

What's a good choice for bond ETFs in a registered account? I can stick with VAB but going all in on Canada seems dumb.

VBG or VBU, according to the Spud. I'm not sure if there are any other bond ETFs that are hedged to CAD.

It's not really recommended unless you're holding hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonds alone though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
How much in bonds are you realistically holding for exposure to matter. The growth right now will be extremely low regardless.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

yippee cahier posted:

There was some reasoning as to why you don't need to diversify bonds (and are better off not doing it, IIRC?). I think it involved currency, perhaps someone could clear that up?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jan posted:

There was some reasoning as to why you don't need to diversify bonds (and are better off not doing it, IIRC?). I think it involved currency, perhaps someone could clear that up?

My understanding is the currency volatility can easily exceed the meager gains your bond ETF will make. If you want that kind of volatility you might as well stick to equity ETFs as the upside is much higher. In short, you introduce more risk for less reward.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

VBG or VBU, according to the Spud. I'm not sure if there are any other bond ETFs that are hedged to CAD.

It's not really recommended unless you're holding hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonds alone though.

Cool, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I've only got a tiny bit of VAB at the moment and don't expect to get into the 6 figgy range anytime soon. I wanted to know a bit more so I didn't make a bunch of passive contributions over a few years and only then find out 100% Canada wasn't a good idea.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Okay so I'm a bit confused with my "baby's first savings account/index funds" plan.

I've only recently started my first real job post-university with a government pension. Just recently paid off my student loans, so I'm looking to put that money now towards savings

I currently have a small sum ($5,000-ish) in my PC Financial regular ole TFSA that acts as my "emergency fund" (for whatever reason?). Usually I sit around with $1,000 or so in my chequing account to pay for rent, food, credit card etc.

I want to get index funds for long-term savings. Right now, I'm at the bottom of my career and earning-potential, so as I've discussed earlier I'm going with TFSA and looking at the Tangerine index funds (since I'm following the coach potato strategy of index funds for <$50k investments instead of ETFs and the like) as I've got tons of contribution room (probably at minimum $50,000)

I'm sort of confused as to what happens when I purchase these funds. Do I just plop all $5,000 in a newly opened Tangerine TFSA, purchase one of their portofolios, and then just regularily contribute monthly?

How does this work? Am I "buying" more funds every month if I setup an automatic transfer? Or do I have to transfer money like a savings account, and THEN buy the funds?

Finally, what about my "emergency savings account"? I've heard some arbitrary rule of thumb to have 3-months liquid salary for emergencies. Should I wait to collect that in my TFSA before I start index fund investing? Should I put a couple thousands just in a regular savings account for that purpose? How liquid is my TFSA Tangerine index funds?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Does anyone know a good place to calculate income tax and withholdings and such? I just started a new job, and it seems like I'm being taxed at a rate that's about 10% higher than I ought to be.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Oysters Autobio posted:

Okay so I'm a bit confused with my "baby's first savings account/index funds" plan.

I've only recently started my first real job post-university with a government pension. Just recently paid off my student loans, so I'm looking to put that money now towards savings

I currently have a small sum ($5,000-ish) in my PC Financial regular ole TFSA that acts as my "emergency fund" (for whatever reason?). Usually I sit around with $1,000 or so in my chequing account to pay for rent, food, credit card etc.

I want to get index funds for long-term savings. Right now, I'm at the bottom of my career and earning-potential, so as I've discussed earlier I'm going with TFSA and looking at the Tangerine index funds (since I'm following the coach potato strategy of index funds for <$50k investments instead of ETFs and the like) as I've got tons of contribution room (probably at minimum $50,000)

I'm sort of confused as to what happens when I purchase these funds. Do I just plop all $5,000 in a newly opened Tangerine TFSA, purchase one of their portofolios, and then just regularily contribute monthly?

How does this work? Am I "buying" more funds every month if I setup an automatic transfer? Or do I have to transfer money like a savings account, and THEN buy the funds?

Finally, what about my "emergency savings account"? I've heard some arbitrary rule of thumb to have 3-months liquid salary for emergencies. Should I wait to collect that in my TFSA before I start index fund investing? Should I put a couple thousands just in a regular savings account for that purpose? How liquid is my TFSA Tangerine index funds?

Yeah, accumulate your cash buffer before buying index funds. You never want to have to liquidate investments for short term cash needs.

Most investment accounts allow you to schedule a reoccurring fund purchase and then set a source for the funds which can be an auto transfer from an external account.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Does anyone know a good place to calculate income tax and withholdings and such? I just started a new job, and it seems like I'm being taxed at a rate that's about 10% higher than I ought to be.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/bsnss/pdoc-eng.html

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

also keep in mind if you were done making Cpp and will contributions your new employer is required to fully deduct for them even if you paid them previously.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Right. Even factoring in CPP and EI deductions, the cheque seems somewhat lower than it ought to be.

Thanks folks!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Congrats on getting rid of the loans and picking up a career :toot:

Re: emergency fund - you're correct in stating that you should have an emergency fund before considering investments. The whole point of one is to have some measure of liquidity (cash) to absorb a few months worth of essential expenses without having to compromise other holdings right away (eg - incurring early redemption penalties of a GIC, crystallizing a paper loss during a down time, triggering a capital gain at a bad time, etc) or living off credit/payday loans/goodwill. How much to have depends on a lot of personal factors - do you have friends or family nearby that you could crash with? A family? Mortgage? Being on Pheonix payroll? etc. My own fund is 3 months of expenses. I also have a personal line of credit that could cover another 4-5 months. It's a better alternative than turning to credit/insolvency, it allows me to allocate more money toward investments, and the chance of me having to rely on it are pretty small so I'm willing to eat that risk.

You also don't need to keep an emergency fund in a TFSA, and it's something I personally don't do because I'd rather use my TFSA for growth. If you're not at the point where your TFSA is (or will very soon) it doesn't matter though. I personally keep my e-fund between a chequing account, a savings account de-linked from my card (in case of cloned/stolen card, since it can only be accessed online or in person) and 5% cash-in-hand for the unexpected.

Since you're at the bottom of the pay-scale, you should deffo max out your TFSA first. RRSP room will be limited because of your pension, so you'll probably turn towards a non-registered account at some point.

I'm not familiar with Tangerine specifically, but normally after transferring funds to the account you have to actually buy into the desired fund. Tangerine may have a way to automate it since they're all about ease of use, but you are paying for it - the cost of Tangerine is about double that of TD, and 3-4x a collection of ETFs from an online brokerage. You're already ahead of the game at this point, but take the time to figure out some other options because across a lifetime it can easily cost you five figures for like an hour of work a year.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 15, 2017

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Good advice. Opening an account at Questrade and using it isn't difficult to do. I think the recommendation to use Tangerine for smaller portfolios mostly to get you started saving right away instead of having you give up on all this investing stuff when you have to pick which ETFs you want to buy and everyone online has a different advice on weighting, etc.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
When first starting out just go for ease of use as your contributions will dwarf any returns and the absolute value of the difference between fund MERs will be extremely small. Once you're up to over a hundred grand the returns and savings from MER differentials will be more significant. Also you'll be able to get a better broker without paying account management fees or other bullshit.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Does anyone here have a Roth IRA in the states while living and working in Canada?

I've got a Roth IRA and investments in the US I can shift into the Roth IRA over a period of 15-20 years. Canada apparently will treat a Roth IRA like the Americans do, but only if you've declared to them that you have one. It also seems you can't contribute to one while being a resident of Canada, but maybe they mean you can't contribute the income you've earned in Canada to that Roth IRA. The wording is unclear.

When I talked to the bank they asked if I had an American bank account. I said I did, so they suggested that when I get to 60 a start getting paid by the Roth IRA, I pay it into my American account and then transfer that to my Canadian account. That way it would be a "gift" as opposed to a disbursement from an American investment vehicle into a Canadian account, which could attract the attention of the CRA. But that sounded sketchy and possibly illegal. Then again, my girlfriend's parents get money from their pension in China and then send it to their daughter as a "gift" and there's nothing illegal about that, as the CRA doesn't tax gifts, so maybe it's fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

yippee cahier posted:

Good advice. Opening an account at Questrade and using it isn't difficult to do. I think the recommendation to use Tangerine for smaller portfolios mostly to get you started saving right away instead of having you give up on all this investing stuff when you have to pick which ETFs you want to buy and everyone online has a different advice on weighting, etc.

Questrade is not difficult but it sure can be intimidating. There's a ton of knobs you can turn and the worry that you've somehow hosed it up can take ages to dissipate. Nobody reading this thread is doing something stupid by investing in Tangerine funds or a vaguely balanced e-Series allocation. Just know there are further efficiencies available if and when you want to eke out some more dollars with a little more work.