Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fred VanVleet would be a hall of famer if you just dropped him in the 50s or 60s.

Also lightskinned enough where he may be allowed to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Attention mod: put the fashion thread in your table of contents

also please spell it "argument", this is a meltdown

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

You don't have to whistle illegal defenses for the rule to have an effect. From the same game you linked to, here is Malone yelling and pointing at the two defenders illegally below the FT line:

One second later they get back to their normal positions, opening up the lane:

This happened all the time.

I'm willing to concede that it had an effect in the sense that it was something that players thought about and sometimes things like you posted her happened, but I mean come on this is a few plays max the whole game and the Bulls did this all game and it really decreased the effectiveness of the Jazz offense.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I miss foam hands at the games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipfzvlgMcNE

DeimosRising posted:

Chauncey...led the league in ORTG as a point guard who played high minutes (probably only he and Curry have done this but I'm not checking)...

Curry's never led the league in ORtg.

PGs #1 in ORtg:

2006 Chauncey Billups
2004 Antonio Daniels
2001 John Stockton
2000 John Stockton
1996 John Stockton
1986 Brad Davis
1985 Brad Davis
1983 Brad Davis
1976 James Silas

The B_36 posted:

It was a completely different epoch in the history of the game. It would be like trying to compare Mike Trout to some pitcher from the 1874 Cincinatti Red Stockings who struck out every guy he faced because every guy he faced was playing base-ball for the first time ever.

tanglewood1420 posted:

If DeAndre Jordan and Wilt cosmically swapped places this thread would be full of people proclaiming DJ as the greatest ever because he humiliated a bunch of 6'8" white guys, whilst everyone would be constantly hammering Chamberlain for not hitting his drat free throws and saying he is a very good but limited player that will never be elite because he has no jump shot.

:lol:

There's some truth in both of these but also some hyperbole.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

This a good rear end pic

https://twitter.com/BenStandig/status/861601266702659584

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Was it also right before they decided to go on a twenty point run

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Wilt chat: he actually had a very good fadeaway (for some reason he avoided contact so he didn't have to go to the line????) and could hit from up to 18 feet out. Presumably he'd have shot from even farther out had their been a three point line but maybe he capped out at 18 feet, whatever, point is he was very skilled unlike DeAndre Jordan who has one skill on offense

beginning to believe IT a bitch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am glad that Walls face game is still on point.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Speaking of the Wilt/DJ comparison

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Rick posted:

I'm willing to concede that it had an effect in the sense that it was something that players thought about and sometimes things like you posted her happened, but I mean come on this is a few plays max the whole game and the Bulls did this all game and it really decreased the effectiveness of the Jazz offense.

Even with few speeding tickets issued, do you think a road with a 30 MPH speed limit will have slower traffic than a road with a 50MPH speed limit?

Dokmo's screenshots show this pretty clearly. If John Stockton were Lebron do you know how the Spurs would guard that? They'd take one of those two Bulls that are standing next to each other on the weak side and put them on the strong side of the lane. Totally illegal in the 90's but that's the kind of defense the Spurs needed against Lebron when he was isolating on the wing.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Rick posted:

Every generation thinks they invented sex, drugs, music and team defense.

love this

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
The entire Cavs team roasting Channing Frye during his post game interview if my favorite moment of the NBA ever

https://twitter.com/DimeUPROXX/status/861607704137093120

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/861706804484423680

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Morey is on record saying he reads clutchfans and likes the trade idea thread.

Pretty sure he just said that to gently caress with people though.

That Nene poo poo sucks, but I guess we were lucky to get most of a season and some playoffs out of him. RIP big fella, I hope he comes back next season.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 9, 2017

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jota posted:

The entire Cavs team roasting Channing Frye during his post game interview if my favorite moment of the NBA ever

https://twitter.com/DimeUPROXX/status/861607704137093120

"He put a chain on, too!"

Hilarious.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bashez posted:

Even with few speeding tickets issued, do you think a road with a 30 MPH speed limit will have slower traffic than a road with a 50MPH speed limit?

Dokmo's screenshots show this pretty clearly. If John Stockton were Lebron do you know how the Spurs would guard that? They'd take one of those two Bulls that are standing next to each other on the weak side and put them on the strong side of the lane. Totally illegal in the 90's but that's the kind of defense the Spurs needed against Lebron when he was isolating on the wing.

You should watch some of the game.

I wish I could remember the original source I adapted it from.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KGArea21/status/861733600328155136

Big Baby is biiiiig.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

KG might be my favourite human being. He should run for president. He'd have my vote.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Quizzlefish posted:

KG might be my favourite human being. He should run for president. He'd have my vote.

quote:

Tyronn Lue: A lot of people do all their howling on the court and they're faking just for attention, but what he does is genuine. So one day we were at his house and we were watching Puff Daddy's show 'Making the Band,' and in one of the scenes, some new guys came in and were trying to sing and were trying to compete against the guys who had been there. And KG just got so hyped, 'Motherf----r, you've got to stand up for yours! You've got to fight! Motherf----r, you've got to come together!' He's going crazy, he's sweaty. And he just head butts the wall and put a hole in the wall of his house.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Zogo posted:

LBJ has the advantage in overall scoring numbers and is also a superior 3P shooter. LBJ is a more versatile defender.

It's too bad VORP only goes back to 1974. If it went back all the way I believe Kareem/Wilt would still have LBJ dominated.

Duncan won a title before Jordan was done playing and assists are slightly overvalued. Nemesis implies a major threat or something unconquerable and Curry only is because he's on the stacked team (highest ORtg in NBA/ABA history). LBJs nemesis is a ten foot tall Michael Jordan.*

*nonexistent.

Duncan got rings in all these guys eras, but he was deemed boring; are you a king if noone cared?

I believe Curry is clearly his nemesis, and the physical gap is what grinds Lebron, like tom,, & jerry. Silverspoon, frail, dude took all his thunder. His homecoming, to a team he hand picked,was immediately upstaged. GSW when on to suffocat the headlines the following season, there was no "team" mentioned with unanimous MVP was decided halfway through the season. Fans weren't coming hrs early to watch the team practice. Young fans werent going crazy over a "team. " Lebron went to ridiculous levels of passive aggressiveness to get attention, it was almost sad.

Maybe you feel the 3-1 finals where Lebron went out of his way to make steph look like the child he is front of Lebron, and balance was restored. But steph went out and got Durant, again suffocating the media landscape and upstaging what Lebron feels should have been his coronation season.

Rick, illegal defense was called enough in Bulls games that I feel that those techs were really valuable, and had an effect on some following plays. They didn't get call often through, maybe 2-3 a game if that.

Femur fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 9, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I would also say that the illegal defense rules were a lot like offensive 3 seconds. It got missed a ton, but it got called enough that you couldn't build your entire team around it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This is the greatest anecdote since "Who wants to sex Mutombo?"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/aaron_est_laced/status/861376327710113793

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I uncontrollably laugh at this every time

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

I would also say that the illegal defense rules were a lot like offensive 3 seconds. It got missed a ton, but it got called enough that you couldn't build your entire team around it.

This is exactly the point. People tried to stretch illegal defense as best they could but when the illegal defense went away you just built your defense around playing what was formerly illegal.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Femur posted:

Duncan got rings in all these guys eras, but he was deemed boring; are you a king if noone cared?

I believe Curry is clearly his nemesis, and the physical gap is what grinds Lebron, like tom,, & jerry. Silverspoon, frail, dude took all his thunder. His homecoming, to a team he hand picked,was immediately upstaged. GSW when on to suffocat the headlines the following season, there was no "team" mentioned with unanimous MVP was decided halfway through the season. Fans weren't coming hrs early to watch the team practice. Young fans werent going crazy over a "team. " Lebron went to ridiculous levels of passive aggressiveness to get attention, it was almost sad.

Maybe you feel the 3-1 finals where Lebron went out of his way to make steph look like the child he is front of Lebron, and balance was restored. But steph went out and got Durant, again suffocating the media landscape and upstaging what Lebron feels should have been his coronation season.

Rick, illegal defense was called enough in Bulls games that I feel that those techs were really valuable, and had an effect on some following plays. They didn't get call often through, maybe 2-3 a game if that.

I felt this post resonate in my soul

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bashez posted:

This is exactly the point. People tried to stretch illegal defense as best they could but when the illegal defense went away you just built your defense around playing what was formerly illegal.

Again, you should watch the video.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Perk's beard is bizarre

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Rick posted:

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. What are you wanting me to see? The defense there is trash by modern standards.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Rick posted:

We all watched the video

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bashez posted:

I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. What are you wanting me to see? The defense there is trash by modern standards.

They do what you claim they don't over and over again throughout the game, which is stack two defenders on the strong side to challenge Stockton's if he should get past his man (one is pretending to guard someone at the start of the play but always drifts to the paint in the strong side before Stockton makes his move). The fact that they aren't worried about three pointers at all makes it easier to do this actually.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
You know, I am tired of you guys talking poo poo about 80s and 90s players and their defense. Running and jumping is hard poo poo, and they did what they were taught. Blame dumbass coaches and owners who based the game around the slowest and most lumbering dude out there in the first place.

And you know what happened? crazy rear end mother fuckers like Jordan, rodman pushed that shut up several notches, and now you got Lebron. Yall act like Lebron came up with this poo poo on his own. Like crazy motherfucker Jordan captured our hearts and mind because of his unheard of relentless drives, creativity, playing amongst the trees.

Guess what, Lebron wears 23, so whatever he said about iverson, comparisons yo Magic, whatever, dude is emulating MJ. Would nonconfrontational passive aggressive Lebron come up with his aggressive driving strategy without crazy Jordan paving the way? or would he of just been like fellow ironman counterpart Malone, with the same lovely mid-range game and FT and get punched in the nut by Jordan.

Yall act like personality don't matter. Like steph languished for years cause noone had shown that jacking up 3s was a great strategy. Going against the grain takes a crazy mindset, and their experience benefits all who follow.

What was I talking about? oh yeah defense, athletes are super dumb, and believe stuff someone tells them.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Femur posted:

You know, I am tired of you guys talking poo poo about 80s and 90s players and their defense. Running and jumping is hard poo poo, and they did what they were taught. Blame dumbass coaches and owners who based the game around the slowest and most lumbering dude out there in the first place.

And you know what happened? crazy rear end mother fuckers like Jordan, rodman pushed that shut up several notches, and now you got Lebron. Yall act like Lebron came up with this poo poo on his own. Like crazy motherfucker Jordan captured our hearts and mind because of his unheard of relentless drives, creativity, playing amongst the trees.

Guess what, Lebron wears 23, so whatever he said about iverson, comparisons yo Magic, whatever, dude is emulating MJ. Would nonconfrontational passive aggressive Lebron come up with his aggressive driving strategy without crazy Jordan paving the way? or would he of just been like fellow ironman counterpart Malone, with the same lovely mid-range game and FT and get punched in the nut by Jordan.

Yall act like personality don't matter. Like steph languished for years cause noone had shown that jacking up 3s was a great strategy. Going against the grain takes a crazy mindset, and their experience benefits all who follow.

What was I talking about? oh yeah defense, athletes are super dumb, and believe stuff someone tells them.

God drat dude you are on fire

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That poo poo has unironically got me hosed up. Generational talent style

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Rick posted:

They do what you claim they don't over and over again throughout the game, which is stack two defenders on the strong side to challenge Stockton's if he should get past his man (one is pretending to guard someone at the start of the play but always drifts to the paint in the strong side before Stockton makes his move). The fact that they aren't worried about three pointers at all makes it easier to do this actually.

Can you timestamp a few of these?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I think every person has their own GOAT because at the end of the day it's all subjective given different play styles, rules, and talent pools. To me the GOAT is the player who first captured your imagination. The player who you always pretended to be when you were a kid playing ball with your friends.

My first experience with basketball was as a newly arrived immigrant during the Clutch City era in Houston so my GOAT will always be Hakeem.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress you its MJ. Nobody is getting jumped and robbed over some loving lebrons

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Adun posted:

I think every person has their own GOAT because at the end of the day it's all subjective given different play styles, rules, and talent pools. To me the GOAT is the player who first captured your imagination. The player who you always pretended to be when you were a kid playing ball with your friends.

My first experience with basketball was as a newly arrived immigrant during the Clutch City era in Houston so my GOAT will always be Hakeem.

What is this namby pamby kumbaya nonsense? You may personally think Hakeem or whoever else is the GOAT but you better be prepared to throw the gauntlet and back it up whenever somehow shows up and tells you that your preferred GOAT ain't worth jack. And if you can't do it then guess what, he's right and you're wrong.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
James Harden is my GOAT and I will drive to Temecula to fight you about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Hakeem is the GOAT

• Locked thread