Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Ditch the girl and get forums user Aredna to take you out to a Nigerian run strip club and use all the money you saved there.

Aredna is cool but you need godly amounts of stamina to party all night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey man if you want to feel generous then come over to Japan or Hong Kong and take us out for dinner and good sushi. I won't be cheap and be happy with whatever you can treat me

And a plane ticket for me is super cheap like 10 000 yen.

Just don't get m involved with Osaka thanks!

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Blackchamber posted:

My travel plans kept falling through because I kept hoping people would go with me, but I finally got sick of friends flaking that I ended up buying plane tickets and planning going solo.

A friend decided to come along and to prove not being a flake by purchasing tickets too (my stipulation). The next month I started planning our itineraries and ballparking the other costs, one being taking the train to Osaka and using it as a base to do day trips to other areas (like Nara). This was met with 'I can't afford that, I'll probably just stay at the hotel in Tokyo'. Since I'm covering all our meals and hotels for the trip I'm firstly a little miffed she would think that means keeping a place in Tokyo for her while I went wherever alone. Second I'm a bit miffed that she'd go halfway across the globe to see a new country and not be willing to pay a little more to see more than one city, especially given that I'm footing most of the bills.

Just felt like ranting.

Why rant here? Just tell her that and then come to an understanding. Your friendship probably won't survive the trip if she ruins it for you whilst also expecting you to pay for everything (which, as others have said, is a weird situation to be in).

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

zmcnulty posted:

The whole "post office ATM" thing is simply outdated info, they used to be the go-to ATMs for many gaijin tourists but that was like over a decade ago. 7-11 ATMs are everywhere (many not even in 7-11s) and they're​ all 24 hours. Dunno why people even bother with post office ATMs anymore.

I lived in Kyoto a few years ago and always preferred the post office because they were reliable and had no extra fees. Seems like nowadays 711 doesn't charge anything, so that's nice.

I think leather fedora is right though, my card has a chip now. The menu for the ATM had changed as well, so there might be something else going on too. In any case, 711 is more convenient so this works just fine. :)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if tattoo girl demands to stay at Park Hyatt, just so she can be alone there while he's in Osaka

ntan1 posted:

hey zmcnulty when you were talking about the mud bath in Beppu you were talking about Onsen Hoyo Land there right? Two questions:

1) When you went there, how clean was it. There are always lots of reports of people saying that they find a bunch of random stuff in the mud.
2) Did you see any wani? I keep reading posts on how it's a famous place for them and am worried about taking my mother there.

Had to Google it but yes that's the one I went to. As of 2011 it was fine, I didn't step on anything bizarre. If you've ever walked barefoot in mud, well, it's exactly like that. Some branches and stones etc but not like any glass bottles or such.

For your second question, are you asking if there are wild crocodiles in or around the onsen? Though that would be pretty exhilarating, Japan doesn't have any wild crocodiles. The famous ones are at the Hells, in captivity, but honestly crocodiles in cages aren't so exciting to someone who used to visit family in FL every year as a kid...

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 9, 2017

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

For your second question, are you asking if there are wild crocodiles in or around the onsen? Though that would be pretty exhilarating, Japan doesn't have any wild crocodiles. The famous ones are at the Hells, in captivity, but honestly crocodiles in cages aren't so exciting to someone who used to visit family in FL every year as a kid...

Oh sorry, by crocodiles I meant perverts.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

For everyone wondering shes just my friend, I was trying to get a cruise cabin to myself after all (right now I'm sharing a cabin with her cousin and his son). We've done a couple trips together before so I doubt this is going to the straw that breaks the camel's back. In regards to the onsen thing I might just let her hang out in the ryokan. I really like the idea of hot springs-hopping between some of the different places advertised at Kusatsu Onsen. I was also thinking of using airbnb to stay at this place https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12629681?guests=1&adults=1&children=0&infants=0&s=oB776mwK

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

ntan1 posted:

Oh sorry, by crocodiles I meant perverts.

Oh :lol:
No I didn't have any issues but then again I'm not a woman either. There are some areas of that onsen that are completely segregated so she could stick to those if she's concerned.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

I am going to Okinawa and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?
This will be my first time going to Japan and I am very excited. Unfortunately, it is too expensive for me to go to the mainland and I am traveling to Okinawa so I can visit family friends who have moved there.
I've talked to Japanese people in my city and they say that majority of Okinawians speak English. Is this true? I doubt it but, I want to double check.
I would really like to try to travel to the other islands but it seems to expensive by plane or ferry to go to most of them at this point.
What would you recommend to see while I am on the island? Are there any cheap ferries to nearby islands that I can go on?
I think no matter what I will have a great time exploring the cities but I'd love to hear experiences people have from traveling in the prefecture.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm sat here working out what we're gonna do for the rest of the week, what's public transport like on weekends?

Not sure if I should be prioritising all the out-of-Osaka activities to fit them in before the weekend or if it doesn't really matter as much.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kyoto is full of students on weekdays and full of tourists on weekends (and forever). Trains are p much the same schedule on weekends but less people.

Okinawa Mongolia goon, it is a rural prefecture outside of Naha City. The smaller islands are basically fishing, sugar cane and beach resorts. It's pretty different from the main islands of Japan. They're used to dealing with US military people but that's far from English fluency. Foreign visitors can get some domestic cheap​ fares (¥10,000/$100 one-way) on JAL to the mainland, and there are LCC like Peach and Vanilla, too.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've been in Kyoto all week and public transport has been pretty uncrowded by my standards. Osaka was the same, even during golden week when I was there.

Kyoto itself (all restaurants, etc...) seems p crowded but I guess that's normal??

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

peanut posted:

Kyoto is full of students on weekdays and full of tourists on weekends (and forever). Trains are p much the same schedule on weekends but less people.

Crowded isn't a problem as long as it exists, awesome.

Back home if you want to get anywhere on a weekend via public transport you're hosed because there basically isn't any on a weekend, so I was just concerned I might fall into the same trap here.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
thanks for all the great info in this thread guys!
Me and my husband are traveling to japan in october, 12th thru 21st. We went for our honeymoon about 3 years ago. Last time we did some wandering around tokyo, and saw a big castle and the lights festival in kyoto. We also had a great spa day at a super onsen in kyoto.

We're landing in HND and leaving from NRT. Budget so far is about $2,000 not including flights, JR rail, or accomodations (which will already have been paid for). Obviously, we may spend significantly less than that, but that is projected savings before then. I really like relaxation, and good food. I would like to see some plays again, because I enjoyed that in kyoto before. We're hoping to see some sumo, visit a whiskey distillery, Ghibli, Maybe go to Nikko for a spa day, and I know he's hoping to play some guilty gear in akiabara.

Anyone have any suggestions for where to go/what to do. I'd like to see a festival, if there are any going on. And good food suggestions would be cool. I hear october is a good time to see beautiful landscapes, too.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

ghostgirl118 posted:

thanks for all the great info in this thread guys!
Me and my husband are traveling to japan in october, 12th thru 21st. We went for our honeymoon about 3 years ago. Last time we did some wandering around tokyo, and saw a big castle and the lights festival in kyoto. We also had a great spa day at a super onsen in kyoto.

We're landing in HND and leaving from NRT. Budget so far is about $2,000 not including flights, JR rail, or accomodations (which will already have been paid for). Obviously, we may spend significantly less than that, but that is projected savings before then. I really like relaxation, and good food. I would like to see some plays again, because I enjoyed that in kyoto before. We're hoping to see some sumo, visit a whiskey distillery, Ghibli, Maybe go to Nikko for a spa day, and I know he's hoping to play some guilty gear in akiabara.

Anyone have any suggestions for where to go/what to do. I'd like to see a festival, if there are any going on. And good food suggestions would be cool. I hear october is a good time to see beautiful landscapes, too.

In Osaka you should check out America-Mura.. I thought it was a charming neighourhood (especially if you're from North America since it's modelled after an Osakan interpretation of American culture).
Also Shinsekai is a neat area for a day trip, lots of good shops and restaurants to check out, although it's a bit sketch at night (especially further south from the tower) so be forewarned if you plan on wandering outside of the main district area.

There's a really cool trendy capsule hotel called 9hours in Kyoto that I really liked a lot. Don't stay for more than one night though because it's a capsule hotel. Capsule hotels are best experienced in short bursts (a daytime nap or one overnight stay).

Nikko was fantastic. I'm from Canada and it reminded me of a Japanese version of Banff in Alberta (if you've ever been there). Very quaint, mountainous, charming, and touristy town with some really neat historical sites. I especially enjoyed the food there. There's a cafe close to Nikko station (just across the bus area if you just walk straight out of hte station and keep going without turning). The cafe had an amazing curry rice dish. There was also a good bakery to the right of the station as you exit, up the street a ways which was cool. There's also a monkey zoo up in the mountains around Nikko which was kinda neat. They let you feed the monkeys with food on sticks. Nice view from the top too. There was also a wood crafts shop we went to and carved designs into wooden plates not far from the station a copule blocks to the left of the curry cafe and down a side street a bit. Sorry I don't have the names or addresses off-hand. That place was kind of fun if you're into crafts and want a hand made souvineer, but its best if you speak Japanese because I'm not sure the shop owner could speak English very well. I remember they had a really neat vintage coke machine stuffed away in the back, looked like it was from the 50's, not really an attraction but I thought it was cool at the time. Not sure if any of this is helpful, lol..

I stayed at a 180 year old Ryokan in Hakone.. (again I'd have to look up the name). It was a bit stinky and musky, but it was a cool experience since it was so old. Hakone is a gorgeous region in the mountains.. very old, very touristy, but very pretty. I recommend it if you want to stay in a traditional old Ryokan. There's a ton of them in there. I think there's a train that goes directly into Hakone too.

Go to the Robot Restaurant in Kabukicho! Many people will tell you it's super lame and a tourist trap, and it is very much a tourist trap, also in a sketchy area of Tokyo so avoid going into bars in that area, BUT that being said, I had a blast. The actually show was really wild and quite entertaining, and the overall vibrant gaudiness of the place is overwhelmingly fantastic. Like vegas on acid. It's a bucket list kind of thing, if you like that sort of show. It's really a subjective thing though because I know a lot of people who felt it was rip off, but I can tell you I personally enjoyed it and didn't regret it. I think it's less "adult" than it used to be too. I think the club owner wanted to capitalize on families with kids, so they toned down the sexiness of the place from what I hear. It's also not a restaurant btw, so eat beforehand. I mean they have food you can order beforehand to eat during the show, but it's not particularly GOOD food and there's not much of it.

I haven't been to Hiroshima, Miyajima, or Fukuoka yet (planned for my next trip), so I can't help with that one.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sumo is only in odd-number months but October has the tail end of baseball season and my area (Ehime/Kagawa) has some crazy festivals... but probably too far for a one-week trip.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
ya I would have liked to go for those festivals but November is just a really nice time.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Made it to Tokyo. Currently in line for seafood donburi. Everything is good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2PjkfH8CI

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So my wife just broke her toe then walked 10 miles around Kyoto on it and it's super hosed up, how much walking is there to do at Himeji castle?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Rent a wheelchair or buy crutches.

http://www.ido-support.com/english/introduction.html

That's what I found, best to ask a native for assistance I think.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Also if you are thinking about going to a doctor, it probably needs to be Saturday Morning as most clinics will be closed Saturday afternoon and all Sunday. Treatment is affordable here even without insurance.

Welp good luck!

外科 Geka / surgery, injuries, etc. does x-rays and casts
接骨院 Sekkotsu-in / osteopath, bone wizard, can at least numb it and wrap it
整体院 Seitai-in / chiropractor/acupressure, probably won't be helpful
骨折 kossetsu / broken bone
つま先の骨折 tsuma-saki no kossetsu / broken toe
保険がありません hoken ga arimasen / we don't have insurance
自払いします jibarai shimasu / we'll pay out-of-pocket
レントゲン rentogen / x-ray

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you have a foot cast you're now obligated to go to Disneyland and skip huge lines for rides

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

So my wife just broke her toe then walked 10 miles around Kyoto on it and it's super hosed up, how much walking is there to do at Himeji castle?

A lot of walking with almost nowhere to sit. If you choose to go into the castle, the route is linear and you must go all the way up and all the way down. I went on a wednesday and it was a sea of people doing an orderly shuffle with several 10-15 minute periods of standing and waiting while the foot traffic was managed. I can't remember but I asked my girlfriend and she said we were there for 4 hours and it took 2 hours to get to the top of the main keep and back.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

TWSS posted:

A lot of walking with almost nowhere to sit. If you choose to go into the castle, the route is linear and you must go all the way up and all the way down. I went on a wednesday and it was a sea of people doing an orderly shuffle with several 10-15 minute periods of standing and waiting while the foot traffic was managed. I can't remember but I asked my girlfriend and she said we were there for 4 hours and it took 2 hours to get to the top of the main keep and back.

On a Wednesday when? Outside of GW or the Sakura season it shouldn't be that bad.

It's true it won't be good if you have foot problems though. It's stairs and (occasionally very steep) step ladders all the way.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

peanut posted:

Also if you are thinking about going to a doctor, it probably needs to be Saturday Morning as most clinics will be closed Saturday afternoon and all Sunday. Treatment is affordable here even without insurance.

Welp good luck!

外科 Geka / surgery, injuries, etc. does x-rays and casts
接骨院 Sekkotsu-in / osteopath, bone wizard, can at least numb it and wrap it
整体院 Seitai-in / chiropractor/acupressure, probably won't be helpful
骨折 kossetsu / broken bone
つま先の骨折 tsuma-saki no kossetsu / broken toe
保険がありません hoken ga arimasen / we don't have insurance
自払いします jibarai shimasu / we'll pay out-of-pocket
レントゲン rentogen / x-ray

This is awesome, thanks.

Luckily we have travel insurance through the company we both work for so whatever it costs I'll get back.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Gotta shill my tokyo goons and love for you all.

Props to stringent making a kick rear end BBQ and going out for drinks later.

Fun times all I'm here for another day but I'm fine chilling or hanging

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

What are the best food/bars that are cool with westerners in golden gai?

Assuming golden gai is cool; is it?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

What are the best food/bars that are cool with westerners in golden gai?

Assuming golden gai is cool; is it?

Like literally all of them. It's cool to grab a few drinks for the experience and check out the streets but it's mostly tourists now.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

If you have a foot cast you're now obligated to go to Disneyland and skip huge lines for rides

this is honestly one of the best life hacks that exists on this planet, big ups to peanut for knowing it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nah no cast (un?)fortunately, and we already did USJ with overpriced express passes because standing in line is for suckers so we're all theme parked out for one holiday.

On the train to Himeji now because she's powering through it like a trooper, if this is bad she might be pissed at me though because I told her the internet said this would be a neat sight.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nah no cast (un?)fortunately, and we already did USJ with overpriced express passes because standing in line is for suckers so we're all theme parked out for one holiday.

On the train to Himeji now because she's powering through it like a trooper, if this is bad she might be pissed at me though because I told her the internet said this would be a neat sight.

It is a neat sight but be prepared to rest here and there.

Also don't go to the zoo (unless you hate animals).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah she's an animal lover so we already looked into and opted against several zoos because it seems like it's kind of a thing here to have them in terrible tiny enclosures?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's best to avoid zoos in Asia, generally.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

go to kaiyukan aquarium in Osaka instead (and it's open until 8pm-ish!)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

She loved the aquarium, we're gonna stretch as much out of Himeji today as we can (is there anything here other than the castle?), head to Nara to see the deer tomorrow and then Tuesday we get ready to fly home. It's been a trip.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Himeji is p much just a castle so just enjoy some lunch, maybe head back to your hotel neighborhood early and do some park drinking on this lovely Sunday~~

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are in that area the. Go to the distilleries I hear the prices are super cheap

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Nevermind

Spoderman fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How come there are small bands of school kids in uniform riding trains and wandering the city at all hours of the day, why aren't they in classrooms learning poo poo?

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 15, 2017