Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
the best runningbacks are linebacker sized and run majestically straight downhill and upright, stiffarming people into an early grave

god i miss you derrick come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Raku posted:

the best runningbacks are linebacker sized and run majestically straight downhill and upright, stiffarming people into an early grave

god i miss you derrick come back

Sir please go to the afcs to talk about Derrick Henry who I want to kiss

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Legarrete Blount will be dearly missed

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Redskins having a great draft using McCloughan's board is the worst possible outcome because it guarantees Allen will get just enough credit to never loving leave.

Worst for me. Best for hilarity​.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 7, 2017

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly

NotWearingPants posted:

Breaking tackles is overrated. Avoiding tacklers is much more effective. When you think back to Shady's best runs, he wasn't running over people, he was making them miss and running round them.

The Eagles don't have the luxury of Dallas' offensive line opening enormous holes. We need a skinnier RB who can slip through smaller holes.

All true but breaking tackles is still important and thankfully the little man isn't too shabby at that either.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/860845633208549376

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Was it only Pumphrey's size that made him go in the 4th round? His tape looks really good. Very decisive, patient, crazy burst.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

Was it only Pumphrey's size that made him go in the 4th round? His tape looks really good. Very decisive, patient, crazy burst.

Yeah, he's really small. For context, he weighs the same as DeSean Jackson did as a rookie.

edit: Also, you can really see the influence of Joe Douglas throughout the Eagles draft in terms of valuing game film over measurables. It's quite a contrast to Chip Kelly's philosophy.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 7, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Jimmy Kempski, the best Eagles writer who also has some extra credibility cross-division as the founder of the now defunct Blogging the bEast (imo) has reviews of all the NFC East drafts:

Redskins: http://www.phillyvoice.com/nfc-east-2017-draft-grades-redskins-edition/
Cowboys: http://www.phillyvoice.com/nfc-east-2017-draft-grades-cowboys-edition/
Eagles: http://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-2017-draft-grades/
Giants: http://www.phillyvoice.com/nfc-east-2017-draft-grades-giants-edition

tl;dr: He really liked the Redskins and Cowboys's drafts. He thought the Eagles did pretty good. And lol @ the Giants.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wonder if Douglas would have drafted wentz.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

I wonder if Douglas would have drafted wentz.

Well supposedly he was very instrumental in the Raven's drafting of Joe Flacco, so probably.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

All this talk of rookies makes me sad that I'm not gonna have Gamepass this year because we're cuttting out a few luxuries to pay for another car. Say what you will about the entertainment level of preseason games but it's a great way to get an inkling for what the bottom of the roster is like. Like, is it all garbage, or do you have sweet, hunky man men like Beau Allen? :swoon:

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 8, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Apparently there has been a discussion about a deal involving Jason Kelce and Mark Ingram after C Mack Unger wentz down this morning.

Dude that broke the Alshon Jeffrey & Chris Long signings, the Eagles drafting DL in the 1st round, and something else is the source.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Only thing I'll ever remember about Mark Ingram was how desperately ESPN hamfisted the fact that his dad is in prison into their post-selection draft interview.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

89 posted:

Apparently there has been a discussion about a deal involving Jason Kelce and Mark Ingram after C Mack Unger wentz down this morning.

Dude that broke the Alshon Jeffrey & Chris Long signings, the Eagles drafting DL in the 1st round, and something else is the source.

Wait so the Eagles would trade a Pro Bowl center who started all 16 games for them for Mark Ingram?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

TheChirurgeon posted:

Wait so the Eagles would trade a Pro Bowl center who started all 16 games for them for Mark Ingram?

Kelce hasn't played up to his label in a while. Eagles have ridiculous offensive line depth and have another center that could be starting.

I'd only be worried about messing up any chemistry with Wentz

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is that the same Ingraham that was on Alabama that beat Florida.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

89 posted:

Kelce hasn't played up to his label in a while. Eagles have ridiculous offensive line depth and have another center that could be starting.

I'd only be worried about messing up any chemistry with Wentz

Let me get this straight: You think that because you have good depth at Center, it's a good idea to trade a guy who is under 30 and last year started all 16 games at center and made the pro bowl for Mark Ingram?

I mean I know it's the last year of his contract but come on

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I don't even think they should do that trade but that you keep mentioning made the pro bowl lol

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

TheChirurgeon posted:

Let me get this straight: You think that because you have good depth at Center, it's a good idea to trade a guy who is under 30 and last year started all 16 games at center and made the pro bowl for Mark Ingram?

To be fair, he hasn't played like a Pro Bowler in over 3 seasons. And really, the "Pro Bowl" for linemen is kind of a joke. See: Jeff Saturday: Green Bay Packers Pro Bowler (lol).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Jota posted:

I don't even think they should do that trade but that you keep mentioning made the pro bowl lol

Ha, it's not like there are lots of ways to measure Center quality floating around

But hey I hope y'all make the trade

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's a fuckin' dumb trade, and I like Mark Ingram.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I went to the Cowboys Home Run Derby this afternoon, and managed to shake Jason Garrett's hand.

Let me tell you, man's got some soft hands.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Mark Ingram owns and I'm 100% down for him going to some team that will actually give him carries

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This proposed trade is bad because Mark Ingram is a JAG

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami trade Drake for that center please

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Eagles would like to get rid of Kelce (and Kendricks) and would be happy to get something decent in return. This isn't a desperation grab for an RB. A team could probably get Kelce with a 5th round pick too if they want him. Is Mark Ingram worth a 5th round pick? Maybe.

I read an article 2 months ago, "Where can the Eagles trade Jason Kelce?" They don't want him.

Kelce is very mobile and great at getting to the second level, but he's also light and gets manhandled by decent nosetackles. The Eagles want someone stronger imo.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 9, 2017

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ha, it's not like there are lots of ways to measure Center quality floating around

But hey I hope y'all make the trade

1. Mack
2. Hudson
3. Frederick
4. All the other Centers

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
It's possible that we are snoozing on Smallwood

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

89 posted:

It's possible that we are snoozing on Smallwood

I think not. He's not bad but he has shown me no indications he's learned to protect the rock. If Mathews is still here come season start, we will have an acceptable if bottom 10 run game mitigated by a lot of short gains. The offense should be pretty good. What remains to be seen is if the DL can make up for the CBs we have.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Diqnol posted:

I think not. He's not bad but he has shown me no indications he's learned to protect the rock. If Mathews is still here come season start, we will have an acceptable if bottom 10 run game mitigated by a lot of short gains. The offense should be pretty good. What remains to be seen is if the DL can make up for the CBs we have.

They are just waiting for medical clearance before they cut Matthews so they don't have to pay his Injury Protection Benefit. As soon as he can pass a physical, he's gone. (or maybe before that, if he's never going to pass it)

They have 3 RBs and two of them are mini-RBs. I'd say it appears very likely that they will bring in another RB talented enough to share carries. I doubt they project Smallwood as a primary back at this point. If they were forced to go into the season with their current RBs, I think Sproles would be the primary back, and I think they'd like to avoid that.

There's an outside possibility UDFA Corey Clement performs well enough to make them think they do not need another RB. There's an "article" on him from sbnation yesterday: http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2017/5/8/15583010/eagles-film-study-corey-clement-nfl-draft-2017-wisconsin-philadelphia-running-back-tape . But I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 9, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Diqnol posted:

IT is worth noting that we did finish with the 11th ranked run game last year. Even though it never felt that way.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
And to be fair, our receivers have blown rear end since Maclin left after 2014. The defenses haven't respected our WRs in a lonnng time and tend to play harder up front. Cause nobody needs to ever be double covering Nelson Agholor.

Jeffrey & Torrey should open up the run game. I bet Collins & Gibson will make some noise as well. People expected Gibson to run the fastest 40 time at the combine, just didn't work out that way.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm not sure that Ingram really adds much of anything to this offense and while there are better centers than Kelce in the NFL, I feel like if there was already one on this roster that guy would be starting. Maybe there's a guy who's cheaper and only a marginal downgrade in all that depth somewhere, I just don't see they're being much of a benefit to it. Maybe they're seeing it as the offense needs a bigger guy and not a lighter dude who can pull? The current compliment of backs doesn't really seem like it benefits as much from that though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wentz being better would also help

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Wentz is good for 27+ TD's this year. :toxx:

Apparently Unger should be good to go for the season. So, I'd probably consider the Ingram talks dead.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm not sure that Ingram really adds much of anything to this offense and while there are better centers than Kelce in the NFL, I feel like if there was already one on this roster that guy would be starting. Maybe there's a guy who's cheaper and only a marginal downgrade in all that depth somewhere, I just don't see they're being much of a benefit to it. Maybe they're seeing it as the offense needs a bigger guy and not a lighter dude who can pull? The current compliment of backs doesn't really seem like it benefits as much from that though.

Let's say that they think they would want to start, for example, Isaac Seumalo at center. It would make sense. They didn't draft him in the third round last year to sit on the bench as depth. That's a fairly high pick for an interior lineman. And they were confident enough in his abilities to give him 4 starts filling in as a rookie. If that were the case, or if they think Wisniewski can do the job as well as Kelce at a much more team friendly salary, they aren't going to increase Kelce's value by announcing one of the other guys as a starter.

I don't think it has anything to do with the type of RBs the Eagles have. Teams have figured out that if you line a big DT directly over Jason Kelce you are quite often able to knock him 3 yards into the backfield off the snap. (I forget the game, but I am p.sure I remember the Giants being the first team to figure this out). Kelce is listed at 280 lbs. Wisniewski is 315. Seumalo is 305 and only in his second year.

It will be interesting to see what they do if they can't trade him. I'd say it's about 50/50 that they just cut him.

89 posted:

Apparently Unger should be good to go for the season. So, I'd probably consider the Ingram talks dead.

Welp, back to waiting for another center injury.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the Eagles are dead-set on chucking Kelce to the curb, Ingram is fine, but I'd rather keep Kelce

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the Eagles are dead-set on chucking Kelce to the curb, Ingram is fine, but I'd rather keep Kelce

I wouldn't. Seumalo makes under a million a year on his rookie deal. Wisniewski makes 3 million a year. Why are the Eagles paying a guy 6-7 million a year to be the weak link on their offensive line? He's the 9th highest paid center in the league.

Interestingly, the contract the Eagles just gave Wisniewski makes him the 16th highest paid center in the league. While I would like to see Seumalo at C, I have a gut feeling that the Eagles see him at left guard with Wiz at center.

disclaimer: Kelce was also the guy hanging out with Riley Cooper on the night he became infamous for screaming the n-word. And I've always held the decision to go to a Kenny Chesny concert against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kelce is as athletic as his brother and in any eagles runningback highlight since he's been drafted you will see Kelce pancaking someone on the first or second level.

• Locked thread