Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ajit Pai is an absolute oval office and the reason why people hate lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The lawsuit thing was great.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Back when Trump was setting up his administration, people described it as captain planet villains who purely want to make the world a worse place for no real reason, and that still holds true.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Cart posted:

At the very least it crashed the FCC page.

https://www.gofccyourself.com btw

FCC blocked the redirect

Its the top one:

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/browse-popular-proceedings

Its 16x more popular than the previous Net Neutrality one that Oliver pointed people toward, and 140x as popular as the next.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN18428T?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

FCC is claiming a denial of service attack.

I don't know. That sounds as genuine as representatives claiming no one can call their phones because 'paid protesters' overwhelmed their lines.

It's a good effort, but it's not going to amount to anything. Expect them to announcing overwhelming support to relaxing the regulations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Back when Trump was setting up his administration, people described it as captain planet villains who purely want to make the world a worse place for no real reason, and that still holds true.

It's pretty clearly for personal profit.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Why do I get the feeling that in a few years, once he's off the FCC, Ajit Pai is going to pivot himself as a Shkreli-esque "you know i'm an rear end in a top hat, but I'll relish every bit of attention" type of persona?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oh god this episode.

Treating something as small as net neutrality and it's affects on your phone bill alongside a health care decision that means life or death for people is cringe-y. They should have split these rants into different episodes.

Edit: oh god he just used Google Wallet as an example and that didn't even have anything to do with net neutrality and everything to do with carriers disabling NFC chips on the carrier branded/resold phones you bought on subsidized plans from the carrier. People with unlocked phones were using it fine but oh well don't let that accuracy slow you down, angry British man.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 8, 2017

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Craptacular! posted:

Oh god this episode.

Treating something as small as net neutrality and it's affects on your phone bill alongside a health care decision that means life or death for people is cringe-y. They should have split these rants into different episodes.

I suppose it depends on your worldview, but Internet access is increasingly on the order of things like electricity as something generally considered important to live a successful life.

Sure, it won't directly kill you, but the access to information that the Internet provides is something a lot of people take extremely seriously.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Net Neutrality is not just about your phone bill.

To use healthcare as an example, say IBM pays ISPs to give preferential treatment to their patent analytics platform. Now IBM has effectively locked out smaller players in the space and created a monopoly on products related to meaningful use, leading to higher healthcare costs for everyone.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Celery Jello posted:

I suppose it depends on your worldview, but Internet access is increasingly on the order of things like electricity as something generally considered important to live a successful life.

Sure, it won't directly kill you, but the access to information that the Internet provides is something a lot of people take extremely seriously.

And to tag along with this response: a carrier disabling an NFC chip in favor of their own competing method differs from a carrier disabling (normal, i.e.: full speed) access to a website how? It's a real world example of carrier fuckery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anyways, the Google Wallet example wasn't there as an example of net neutrality, the point was to show that carriers will absolutely hamstring competition if they can.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So it seems like net neutrality comes up every few years over and over (it's not like the first time Oliver talked about it was the first time it had ever been threatened). Is there anything an administration can do that can't just be immediately reversed by the next? Surely they shouldn't have to pass a constitutional amendment just to say "Do not bring this up again".

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

GutBomb posted:

And to tag along with this response: a carrier disabling an NFC chip in favor of their own competing method differs from a carrier disabling (normal, i.e.: full speed) access to a website how? It's a real world example of carrier fuckery.

Only if you're required to use the carrier's phones. You can bring your own and do whatever on T-Mobile. You have the choice to go buy a phone, carriers and manufacturers can do whatever they want with the SKUs they agree upon and you have a right to not use them.

I can't use NFC for anything but Apple Pay on my iPhone either and that's not even carrier fuckery.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Healthcare is important, but it's an issue that they've already covered once pretty recently. Maybe John Oliver will do something about it next week. This is one of those situations where we're under assault on all fronts and it's important to keep watch on all of them.

Net Neutrality is the one bit of consumer freedom to rally behind in an already pretty monopolistic market.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Net Neutrality isn't about money, it's about controlling what media the public at large accesses. Media drives public opinion. That's pretty goddamned important.

Edit: That is to say, it isn't about the consumer cost of internet access. I mean, of course ultimately it's always about money.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 9, 2017

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Craptacular! posted:

I can't use NFC for anything but Apple Pay on my iPhone either and that's not even carrier fuckery.

Apple is a private company who isn't using monopoly grants, right-of-way grants, public subsidies, and so on, to forward their own profit.

Think of the Internet as the Highway system. Imagine if Ford could pay the DoT some extra cash, and in exchange, Ford cars get shorter reds, higher speed limits, and non-Ford cars, if the highway is busy, now have to all crowd into the rightmost lane. That's Net Neutrality, and the lack thereof.

Your example would be 'Ford should need to offer Hyundai stereos along with Ford stereos as options.' Which is, clearly, not the same thing, and stupid.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So it seems like net neutrality comes up every few years over and over (it's not like the first time Oliver talked about it was the first time it had ever been threatened). Is there anything an administration can do that can't just be immediately reversed by the next? Surely they shouldn't have to pass a constitutional amendment just to say "Do not bring this up again".

This is the result of 2010 giving Obama a Congress who refused to do anything that might help the black man. A huge portion of his administration's efforts were done via executive action, which of course means the next guy can come in and executive action those actions out of action. If Congress wasn't full of a bunch of big dumb babies and actually did something then Trump would have to go and get new laws passed to roll back the Obama years.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ali Aces posted:

Net Neutrality isn't about money, it's about controlling what media the public at large accesses. Media drives public opinion. That's pretty goddamned important.

Net neutrality is about my internet bill costing more and getting worse because a bunch of other people subscribe to Netflix, and the ISPs can't demand extra charges from them for their data binging. So they gouge everyone equally for their usage, including non-subscribers like me.

At least go back to pre-2015 and and let the ISPs shake down Netflix instead of all the people who buy internet. Whether you make customers bribe ISPs to unlock Netflix, or shake down Netflix for costs that are reflected in the costs of Netflix, either option charges Netflix customers and that is preferable to the Obama compromise where Netflix and it's customers get a sweet deal and I pay more for the same or worse service.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 9, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Craptacular! posted:

Net neutrality is about my internet bill costing more and getting worse because a bunch of other people subscribe to Netflix, and the ISPs can't demand extra charges from them for their data binging. So they gouge everyone equally for their usage, including non-subscribers like me.

At least go back to pre-2015 and and let the ISPs shake down Netflix instead of all the people who buy internet. Whether you make customers bribe ISPs to unlock Netflix, or shake down Netflix for costs that are reflected in the costs of Netflix, either option charges Netflix customers and that is preferable to the Obama compromise where Netflix and it's customers get a sweet deal and I pay more for the same or worse service.

Thats not how infrastructure works at all. Your ISP isn't going to charge you less just because you use data other than netflix, and conversely youre not being gorged because other people do have it. :psyduck:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean they absolutely can raise prices or do caps or whatever, that's not what net neutrality was ever about. It's about ISPs not being able to say "hmmmm I like this data more than that data so I'm gonna screw over the second one". So no throttling Netflix because you have your own streaming service you want people to use instead.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

What you're referring to is bandwidth consumption, and net neutrality has nothing to do with that. You know this because the common carrier classification has not prevented ISPs from implementing data caps, which is exactly what they've been doing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ali Aces posted:

What you're referring to is bandwidth consumption, and net neutrality has nothing to do with that. You know this because the common carrier classification has not prevented ISPs from implementing data caps, which is exactly what they've been doing.

There's also been disputes over peering and other infrastructure, particularly with Netflix and Google/YouTube because those two sources produce such an inordinate amount of volume.

My ability to watch YouTube at night went to absolute poo poo a few years ago because my ISP and Google were having a peering dispute over who should pay for costs for more connections. It's inconvenient, but I accept it in the same way many Dish Network customers support (or at least tacitly accept) losing TV networks in the name of letting them play hardball in carriage negotiations.

Does net neutrality have anything to do with that? I honestly don't know.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Celery Jello posted:

Considering I can't apply for jobs with out the internet and therefore provide for myself, I would say internet is important.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Regardless of what messed up point of view or irrelevant anecdotes, everyone must support Net Neutrality, period.

It is the bedrock idea that the Internet is built on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

There's also been disputes over peering and other infrastructure, particularly with Netflix and Google/YouTube because those two sources produce such an inordinate amount of volume.

My ability to watch YouTube at night went to absolute poo poo a few years ago because my ISP and Google were having a peering dispute over who should pay for costs for more connections. It's inconvenient, but I accept it in the same way many Dish Network customers support (or at least tacitly accept) losing TV networks in the name of letting them play hardball in carriage negotiations.

I feel like technically, it would not violate net neutrality if ALL video streaming services were throttled by the ISP as a way of controlling volume. The key point is that it would have to be all of them, including any service provided by another branch of the company that owns the ISP.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001
Wouldn't a good way to fight them with their own narrative be to bring up a cloud services provider scenario? An ISP might be paid by Microsoft to give Azure artificially faster speeds or AWS artificially slower speeds (or vice versa) unless they pay up?

Of course they might make them both suck in comparison to their own services, too.

The biggest issue I have with all of this is that I don't have choices of providers because I live in a rural area. How else am I going to be protected from corporate city franchise monopoly fuckery?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That would violate NN. All traffic must be treated equally.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

When or if Congress ever becomes functional again, yes this could be made into law. Even outside of partisan fuckery the reason this hasn't been pursued aggressively through Congress is because you straight up can not trust old white dudes to know poo poo about the internet. A not insignificant portion of them have their email printed out because they don't know how to access it. Basically once enough Boomers die we might actually stand a chance of politicians who know anything about modern society and not their view of how it worked based on Leave it to Beaver re-runs.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Net Neutrality shouldn't have anything to do with peering arrangements, though I guess some disagree, and since the two might conceivably be intertwined it's possible the one could impact the other. I'm having a really hard time finding out for sure what the recentlysoon-to-be dissolved rules say on the issue, though. Even Wikipedia's peering section on its "Net neutrality" page just has one sentence introducing the issue, then babbles about the Netflix thing from before the bill. I can't say with 100% certainly whether it had an impact on peering issues, but it shouldn't have been a goal.

Edit: Sorry, I think I drifted off into the future there for a second.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 9, 2017

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://twitter.com/LastWeekTonight/status/863158113393930241

So much for that

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Some idiot (perhaps deliberately) programmed a bot and flooded the database with successive identically-worded comments.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

quote:

In the interim, you’ll have to find something else to be mad about on the internet.

Best of luck with that.

Lol

EDIT: I stand corrected, but Ajit Pai is still a giant toolbag

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 14, 2017

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
They call it a Sunshine Period, and amazingly, it's a proper part of FCC procedural rules and not something that Ajit Pai pulled out of his rear end. Although I don't blame any of you, since everything sounds suspicious these days.

In the meantime, the EFF is running a page called Dear FCC, which will take and hold your comments until the record opens back up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

tonight's episode is chapter 25 in "why for-profit healthcare is immoral"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DC Murderverse posted:

tonight's episode is chapter 25 in "why for-profit healthcare is immoral"

With a sub-chapter entitled "Yes, Money Does Make People Crazy" about how there will be Thunderdomes when we finally go no-joke Neo-Feudal.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

gently caress, now I kind of wanna try a blueberry-onion pizza.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That lady in the beginning is a pretty big rear end in a top hat for threatening to hurt someone for not knowing what dialysis is though

like isnt just going "dialysis is a blood filtering operation for my malfunctioning kidneys" too difficult to say?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Given her description she was already annoyed at the neighbour and viewed her as nosy, or at least a nuisance in that instance so further ignorance driving her to be an rear end in a top hat isn't surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

That lady in the beginning is a pretty big rear end in a top hat for threatening to hurt someone for not knowing what dialysis is though

like isnt just going "dialysis is a blood filtering operation for my malfunctioning kidneys" too difficult to say?

The neighbor was being an rear end.

• Locked thread