Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I really should play those strong bad games.

It's like hours of h*r content I haven't experienced yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I remember Peasant Quest being great

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I remember fairly recently someone posted (in this thread?) a link that listed pretty much all OSR/retroclone games, sorted into categories based on which flavor of retroclone they were (B/X, 2e, 4e, etc.) and a short description of each. Does anyone happen to have that link handy?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

I remember fairly recently someone posted (in this thread?) a link that listed pretty much all OSR/retroclone games, sorted into categories based on which flavor of retroclone they were (B/X, 2e, 4e, etc.) and a short description of each. Does anyone happen to have that link handy?

Gotchu, fam: http://taxidermicowlbear.weebly.com/dd-retroclones.html

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Who has some weird and wild magical items/spells?
I'm gonna be running a Dungeon World game for some people on Friday and I asked everyone what they wanted to see in it. One of the players requested "some weird magic - stuff that's more than just "shoot a fireball at people," but more like "the ability to put a comically oversized bathtub drain on any surface."

Anyone here have any fun obtuse magical things they've included in games or suggestions for same?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Word on the street is the next Bundle of Holding in about a half-hour will be 13th Age.

https://twitter.com/BundleHolding/status/861626751247634433

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

ElegantFugue posted:

I'm gonna be running a Dungeon World game for some people on Friday and I asked everyone what they wanted to see in it. One of the players requested "some weird magic - stuff that's more than just "shoot a fireball at people," but more like "the ability to put a comically oversized bathtub drain on any surface."

Anyone here have any fun obtuse magical things they've included in games or suggestions for same?

Donīt have a lot to offer, but my group had a lot of fun with a Dwarven Hammer of Haircelleration (It increases hair growth from Months into Seconds until one has what is considered a sufficiently dwarven beard) and the Land Boat (small fisher boat that grows wheels on land).

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Drone posted:

Word on the street is the next Bundle of Holding in about a half-hour will be 13th Age.

On the one hand, that's annoying because I paid full price for Eyes of the Stone Thief just a couple of days ago. On the other hand, maybe this'll make rounding up players easier.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someone GM me an interesting setting

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Plutonis posted:

GM you an interesting setting? Are you looking for an idea guy or someone to run a game?

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Drone posted:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/13thAge2017
Yeah. What's funny is that it just got finished in FATAL and Friends, and the verdict wasn't that good. But at 33$, it's tempting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

GM you an interesting setting? Are you looking for an idea guy or someone to run a game?

Latter... I'm doing well GMing but I need a god dang game.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Darth Various posted:

Yeah. What's funny is that it just got finished in FATAL and Friends, and the verdict wasn't that good. But at 33$, it's tempting.

Yeah, the F&F is what got me interested in it again. Like, yeah, it's a hot mess... but I'm sure I could do something good with it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Darth Various posted:

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, the F&F is what got me interested in it again. Like, yeah, it's a hot mess... but I'm sure I could do something good with it.

I'm hoping the F&F review helps people to read it and extract its interesting ideas, and either emphasize those ideas while playing it or use them in their own games.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 8, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Congrats to Slap Me and Kiss Me for being a finalist in the 200 word rpg with Might Makes Right: Muscle Marines in Space.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Drone posted:

That bundle has to be one of the worst values that site has ever offered, and that site already has a problem with overpriced bundles

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Congrats to Slap Me and Kiss Me for being a finalist in the 200 word rpg with Might Makes Right: Muscle Marines in Space.

Holy poo poo, really?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

slap me and kiss me posted:

Holy poo poo, really?

yeah

quote:

Finally a game for the middle of the Nerd/Jock Venn Diagram. An RPG where everyone is musclebound and everything is resolved through feats of strength. Not only a funny and novel way to resolve conflict but one where player interaction is heightened through the fact that you are all trying to work (out) together. Hits all the great notes for a micro RPG: Creativity, simplicity, but still recognizably a role playing game

E: I am not at all Jealous of the Storygaming Swine who stole my rightful place due to their anti-spaghetti views

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

rumble in the bunghole posted:

yeah

E: I am not at all Jealous of the Storygaming Swine who stole my rightful place due to their anti-spaghetti views

Well, I tell you, that's pretty gratifying! Thanks for letting me know!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
What's a good Incredibly Ominous Name for a big, evil medical corporation/pharmaceutical lab? My players are working progressively shadier jobs for a smaller lab that does a lot of psychic/cloning related experimentation, and I need to whammy them with a "pssshhh, that ain't poo poo, watch this" kind of scenario.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bayer AG

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
GlaxoSmithKline

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Theranos.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lunatic Sledge posted:

What's a good Incredibly Ominous Name for a big, evil medical corporation/pharmaceutical lab? My players are working progressively shadier jobs for a smaller lab that does a lot of psychic/cloning related experimentation, and I need to whammy them with a "pssshhh, that ain't poo poo, watch this" kind of scenario.

Just look at actual medical labs and pick your favorite. I knew someone who interned at Genotox Labs, which is by all accounts a perfectly pleasant place to work, but come on

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Final Solutions Inc. :godwinning:

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Mortuus Esto Vigilans Corp.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ElegantFugue posted:

If I'm understanding the request correctly, just think of a normal, useful magic item, then make it stupider.

So a potion of telepathy turns into... A sleeve of lozenges that let you read minds, but only while your mouth is in contact with the target (e.g. licking, kissing).

A wand of wishes turns into... A bootstrap of wishes, which urges you to make your own wishes come true and blames you when they don't.

You could steal poo poo from Rick and Morty - they have lots of obtuse inventions that can be reflavoured for fantasy. Lots of high concept sci-fi stuff there.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Plutonis posted:

Find AFMBE's Zombie Smackdown! and choose your poison. That book is better than it has any right to be.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Kinetochore

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Maia-Gyushi, as seen in classic masterpiece webcomic Vendetta:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Jim's Pharma

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Haystack posted:

Kinetochore

Comes with logo, free of charge:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SiSiSiSi or the Four Four corporation.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

In my game of The Sprawl we have Tian Xia Limited which is what happened in the future when the entire nation of China incorporated after a coup by the Guoanbu.

"Tian xia" in Chinese literally means "under heaven" but actually means "everything".

I always thought that had a kind of understatement to its menace, but people in my group speak Chinese so your milage may vary.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Do the Ridley Scott thing and just smash a stereotypically British name together with a stereotypically Japanese one. Bam, you have Weyland-Yutani with the serial number filed off.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
You could pick something overly saccharine, like Utopia Somethinglabs or Samaritan Generitech.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Cronenberg Industries, or is that too obvious?

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Lunatic Sledge posted:

What's a good Incredibly Ominous Name for a big, evil medical corporation/pharmaceutical lab?

gradenko_2000 posted:

GlaxoSmithKline

:golfclap:

E: Clonus

Cascade Jones fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 9, 2017

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Veridian Dynamics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Morleys.

O B Morley and Spawn, est. 1834BCE

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 9, 2017

• Locked thread