Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Tired Moritz posted:

Renove is the actual best.

If he were real, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh sure throw ONE baby off a cliff and suddenly people think you're a jerk. People these days.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Zack Ater posted:

If he were real, sure.

Magic is real if you believe.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

Magic is real if you believe.

However, magic is not real. Given this, we can prove that I don't believe. That's the power of the contrapositive!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Natsuhi remains one of the most liked characters by the fandom, incidentally.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really want to like Rosa because she's a tragic character beset on all sides by lovely family standards and lovely societal standards but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh lady

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rodyle posted:

Natsuhi has always been really interesting to me. She's one of the most prominent characters in the first installment, and then only again really takes a center focus in Episode 5. Yet in those two episodes she comes out as one of the most sympathetic characters, even accounting for her murdering two innocent people in a moment of stress.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Here, let me sum up Umineko: Everyone's lives suck (except Kinzo because gently caress that guy).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

lotus circle posted:

Natsuhi has always been really interesting to me. She's one of the most prominent characters in the first installment, and then only again really takes a center focus in Episode 5. Yet in those two episodes she comes out as one of the most sympathetic characters, even accounting for her murdering two innocent people in a moment of stress.

Wait who?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Servant and Baby.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Cyouni posted:

Well presumably the answer is referencing two inside the space occupied by one, which would be a hint towards X/Beatrice or possibly Shannon/Kanon. Interestingly enough, according to this interpretation it's only two inside the space one should occupy, instead of three (which would possibly be a hint at Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice).

:ocelot:

EagerSleeper posted:

Only good person on this island is Gohda. Second place is split between Maria and Natsuhi. :3:

Anyone else remember in Episode 1 in the last thread when almost everyone hated Maria because of "Uu-"ing and being immature for her age, followed immediately by an update of Rosa slapping her for "Uu-"ing and being immature for her age, and then the thread stopped whining about her all of a sudden? Good times.

Danaru posted:

I really want to like Rosa because she's a tragic character beset on all sides by lovely family standards and lovely societal standards but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh lady

Sometimes you can't blame everything on Kinzo.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Servant and Baby.

Oh derp.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fabulousvillain posted:

Sometimes you can't blame everything on Kinzo.

Well yes, Bern contributes a lot.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The Maria thing is still annoying as hell. I'm just not allowed to complain about it anymore. Also, considering that these days, where she hasn't been on screen as much, it's a lot more tolerable.

I get annoyed easily. Bite me.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

EagerSleeper posted:

Only good person on this island is Gohda. Second place is split between Maria and Natsuhi. :3:

One thing that I noticed during my (slower than expected) reread is that Gohda may be the reason Maria's rose disappeared. I'll have to check whether that possible pattern stays into episode 2 when I get there.

The other thing I really keep intending to do but keep forgetting is to check Wolves and Sheep's application throughout each episode.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Rodyle posted:

Well yes, Bern contributes a lot.

I was mostly talking about 80's Japan, Bern just kicks people while they're down. Well except Ange who was brought up by her only to be eaten for Bern's dinner.

bman in 2288 posted:

I get annoyed easily. Bite me.

Poor choice of words.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 9, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cyouni posted:

One thing that I noticed during my (slower than expected) reread is that Gohda may be the reason Maria's rose disappeared. I'll have to check whether that possible pattern stays into episode 2 when I get there.

The other thing I really keep intending to do but keep forgetting is to check Wolves and Sheep's application throughout each episode.

I don't think we are ever given a exact reason the Rose vanishes. (Or if we are I missed it)

I think it is simply Gohda plucked it for use in his dish.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 9, 2017

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Danaru posted:

I like to believe there's a fragment out there where when Rosa wants to go on a date she just calls Kyrie and asks her to babysit.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Fabulousvillain posted:

Anyone else remember in Episode 1 in the last thread when almost everyone hated Maria because of "Uu-"ing and being immature for her age, followed immediately by an update of Rosa slapping her for "Uu-"ing and being immature for her age, and then the thread stopped whining about her all of a sudden? Good times.

Maria has an annoying verbal tic. It has a solid justification in the story (and by that I mean that she's developmentally challenged, her believing it's a magic incantation to make mommy love her is a result of that), but it is still annoying.

There's a big difference between a kid who is acting the wrong age because the writer doesn't get kids and a kid who is acting the wrong age because they are, mentally, the wrong age.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ZiegeDame posted:

I like to believe there's a fragment out there where when Rosa wants to go on a date she just calls Kyrie and asks her to babysit.

There's a fragment where Rosa want to go on a date and calls then dates Kyrie if you want there to be.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Rosa doesn't deserve Kyrie.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

alcharagia posted:

Rosa doesn't deserve Kyrie.

"But does Rosa deserve Kyrie's smooching?" is the real question. RoKy can still be in play. :pervert:

Question for anyone familiar with Japanese media: Does Japan have the same cliche about mystery novels that we have over here in that "the butler did it" is to be expected? Because it's obvious that there are shenanigans on the servants' side.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 9, 2017

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

"But does Rosa deserve Kyrie's smooching?" is the real question. RoKy can still be in play. :pervert:

Question for anyone familiar with Japanese media: Does Japan have the same cliche about mystery novels that we have over here in that "the butler did it" is to be expected? Because it's obvious that there are shenanigans on the servants' side.

Weren't you listening to Erika? The mystery novel has been solved. It's done. There's no point in writing new mystery novels because they're the same as old mystery novels. So obviously they have every mystery novel trope or else Erika would be wrong, which could never happen.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

EagerSleeper posted:

"But does Rosa deserve Kyrie's smooching?" is the real question.

Rosa doesn't deserve any aspect of Kyrie.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm trying to think of a reason why Kyrie is bad but I can't think of any. Maybe her envy problem/questionable taste in men but eeh could be worse.

Kyrie really is the best "real" character right now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
It's not even that questionable. Rudolf is so suave.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm trying to think of a reason why Kyrie is bad but I can't think of any. Maybe her envy problem/questionable taste in men but eeh could be worse.

Kyrie really is the best "real" character right now.

She did have sex with a married man

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Interesting note I just saw in the Eiserne Jungfrau tip: It mentions "Wizard-Hunting Wright" and his Twenty Stakes. I assume we're not going to see Van Dine's rules pop up given I think we've violated 2 all over the place, and I don't really see any way to reword that so that it remains both intact and unviolated.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Also Van Dine's 3 is completely antithetical to everything this game has said

Van Dine's 3rd, for those who wish to avoid google posted:

There must be no love interest in the story. To introduce amour is to clutter up a purely intellectual experience with irrelevant sentiment. The business in hand is to bring a criminal to the bar of justice, not to bring a lovelorn couple to the hymeneal altar.

e: frankly all of these that aren't just a variant of one of Knox's seem to be deliberately flouted by Umineko thus far.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 9, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Couple's already at the altar so too late for that.

I do like the shot at 20a in episode 3.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
So the cup puzzle is definitely significant, right? As ZiegeDame said, following the same line of logic would suggest that you can solve the puzzle with only three coins, but the version we're asked to solve specifically uses five instead even though that's a less elegant solution. Possibly overthinking this. Anyway, the analogy could never work 'cause cups aren't furniture.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

free Trapt CD posted:

So the cup puzzle is definitely significant, right? As ZiegeDame said, following the same line of logic would suggest that you can solve the puzzle with only three coins, but the version we're asked to solve specifically uses five instead even though that's a less elegant solution. Possibly overthinking this. Anyway, the analogy could never work 'cause cups aren't furniture.

Some cups are furniture!

Anyway, if you want to read into it in the sense, it's two in one and a third. Which would imply one of: Shannon=Kanon but not Beatrice, Shannon=Beatrice but not Kanon or Kanon=Beatrice but not Shannon. It would be an obscure hint if that were the case though, requiring you both to see the simpler solution, discount it and think about why that answer wasn't presented is a long leap.

E: Somehow missed ZiegeDame E2:(and Cyouni) pointing out exactly that!

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 9, 2017

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

CottonWolf posted:

Some cups are furniture!

Anyway, if you want to read into it in the sense, it's two in one and a third. Which would imply one of: Shannon=Kanon but not Beatrice, Shannon=Beatrice but not Kanon or Kanon=Beatrice but not Shannon. It would be an obscure hint if that were the case though, requiring you both to see the simpler solution, discount it and think about why that answer wasn't presented is a long leap.

E: Somehow missed ZiegeDame E2:(and Cyouni) pointing out exactly that!

Well, in both of our defenses it's still pretty ambiguous! It's certainly intended to provoke the idea of multiple identities in one 'cup' at least. The game moves on pretty quickly, probably to suggest we not think about it too deeply - Seacats is pretty convoluted so far but it seems a stretch that a character would have a secret identity within their secret identity, which is what the 3-cup stack would suggest. That would be like a Scooby Doo episode where they unmask the ghost but it's really an old man, and they unmask the old man and he's really a tablecloth tied to a tree or something.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Rodyle posted:

It's basically a running witchchat joke that babykiller Natsuhi is the most likable and sympathetic Ushiromiya

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

EagerSleeper posted:

So it's turning out that character art might be an effective tool of itself in order to tell what's really going on, as in the case of Shannon/Kanon. For that reason, I think there's something really skeezy about George.

If you're going off character art, go off the original. R07 wasn't directly involved in all of the voice and art decisions for the PS3 version, which in some cases lead to certain... odd... decisions. Not nearly as much as the trainwreck that is the pachinko/steam art, but y'know.

For reference, here's some of the original art.
George (I think the second one corresponds to the sprite in your screenshot):

Kanon:

Shannon:

Beatrice (Please note that it took a LOT of restraint to not just dump my whole folder. She has tons of great expressions.):

Battler as the Endless Sorcerer and in his natural state:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

oath2order posted:

It's basically a running witchchat joke that babykiller Natsuhi is the most likable and sympathetic Ushiromiya

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^yessss, I'm digging the fanart.

Fates End posted:

**Snip. Thank you very much for the excellent original Umineko sprites. I unironically love them**

I'm just trying to say that a person doesn't just pull off a Gendo Ikari without being at the least a morally dubious character.

Also, this is my favorite Beatrice.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

I never said it wasnt also true

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

ZiegeDame posted:

She did have sex with a married man

pfff adultery. that's so whatever in the grand scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

pfff adultery. that's so whatever in the grand scheme.

Keep in mind that this specific instance of adultery leads to Ange getting beaten up by Yakuza, and nearly shot to death. Indirectly, yes, but it was a factor.

I had an idea about the coins in the cup riddle, beyond getting ice cream for solving a simple riddle designed for children. Sure, it could still apply to the theory that S=K=B, but doesn't it seem like a bit of meta-narrative on Battler's part, about the actual story of Umineko? The story of a family conference, being told in what's basically an MST3K episode gone wrong, which is being read in a book by one of the family conference's character's sister. Leads me to think that it's not just foreshadowing, but elaboration of the situations in Rokkenjima.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

• Locked thread