Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

schnorkles can you explain what the gently caress the logic of them doing healthcare before slashing taxes is? I get that the health care bill is mostly just a tax cut for the wealthy so if that doesn't go through what are the implications for tax cuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Trump is absolutely going to push this healthcare thing though because he's a giant orange baby who hates to lose so I could see him trying to force another pointless fail vote like last time

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is just kinda educated guessing but I feel as if we are moving towards an electoral map of hard blue west - soft blue southwest- hard blue north east with hard red midwest/south

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

this has always been the calculus people have expected, but they're actually trying

thats the worst thing about this. Its not that theyre playing political theater with the lives of millions to maintain their welfare check, its that they honestly think condemning millions to medical bankruptcy at best is legitimately a good policy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Solarin posted:

schnorkles can you explain what the gently caress the logic of them doing healthcare before slashing taxes is? I get that the health care bill is mostly just a tax cut for the wealthy so if that doesn't go through what are the implications for tax cuts

they need healthcare to die so they can slash taxes so the country doesn't go even further beyond into super debt 3

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Venom Snake posted:

Trump is absolutely going to push this healthcare thing though to try and distract from the decreasing legitimacy of his office so I could see him trying to force another pointless fail vote like last time

idk, whens the vote? do you think it will actualy die in the senate, because i am kinda worried it won't and will get passed.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Brother Friendship posted:

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/861764728753926144

i admire the writers dedication that not even loose plot holes like assange are ignored

he'll get renditioned and magically end up at a black site for a televised 3-minute hate while having some hummus shoved up his rear end(yes that actually happened in case you forgot)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baller Ina posted:

I can't stop biting my lips grr cut it out

They make a thing for that

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

this is just kinda educated guessing but I feel as if we are moving towards an electoral map of hard blue west - soft blue southwest- hard blue north east with hard red midwest/south

for a couple years probably, depends on how long voters can be bothered to vote

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Solarin posted:

the cuts to the taxes in the healthcare plan are important to Ryan's overarching vision of taxation is how I've always heard it

The answer is because they're morons and just cutting taxes and sunsetting it for 10 years is an easy win that you do and then try to build internal party consensus to do a hard lift imo

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Yinlock posted:

they need healthcare to die so they can slash taxes so the country doesn't go even further beyond into super debt 3

wait, so money is more important to these people than health care for the common man?

that is PRET-TY hosed up

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk, whens the vote? do you think it will actualy die in the senate, because i am kinda worried it won't and will get passed.

there won't be a vote for awhile.

the senate does not appreciate the house's tempo and will move at its stately, glacial pace.

The likelyhood is that the senate honestly taking up health care has killed the republican agenda for the rest of the year.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Solarin posted:

trumps causing a decent number of republican to decide that no they're actually independents. as a consequence the republicans and trump want a big, visible win and taxes aint sexy enough to qualify. the republicans, being republicans, want to reduce taxes on the rich while they're at it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm not nearly as well read on senate proceedings as schnorkles is but my belief is that

1. Trump will at some point force a vote even if the bill isn't in passable form
2. Suicide caucus does what they always do
3. The GOP knows the longer this turd lays out in the sun the stinkier and more unpopular it's going to get so they are going to try and push it through as quickly as they can

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

quiet in the tormp thread tonight

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

wait, so money is more important to these people than health care for the common man?

that is PRET-TY hosed up

i mean what are they going to do, slash the military budget??

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Agean90 posted:

thats the worst thing about this. Its not that theyre playing political theater with the lives of millions to maintain their welfare check, its that they honestly think condemning millions to medical bankruptcy at best is legitimately a good policy.

the problem is that there are key problems with obamacare that need fixing: subsidy cliffs, still unaffordable deductibles/plans for families at middle income, states not expanding medicaid and leaving a bunch of disadvantaged people in a lurch

the GOP knows what these problems are, but their prescription can't fix any of them AND they're unwilling to articulate a vision that a freemarket insurance market is better, because they know it isn't. They're caught between their own ideologies and reality and its going to result in a disaster if they actually pass something.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The ACHA in it's current form is also immensely unpopular with every part of the health industry so there isn't even any logical motive behind it. It's pure screaming DIE DIE DIE POOR PEOPLE MAGA MAGA MAGA rage

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Of the many responsibilities the Air Force maintains, guaranteeing air superiority is at the top of the list, Goldfein said.

“I don’t ever want a Marine or a soldier or a sailor or airman who hears jet noise — I don’t ever want them looking up,” he said. “I want them looking directly into the eyes of their enemy because I want them to know in their heart that that is me. I don’t ever want them thinking that is somebody else.

“If we don’t invest in those capabilities, I’m going to have them looking up, and that spells failure,” he said.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

the problem is that there are key problems with obamacare that need fixing: subsidy cliffs, still unaffordable deductibles/plans for families at middle income, states not expanding medicaid and leaving a bunch of disadvantaged people in a lurch

the GOP knows what these problems are, but their prescription can't fix any of them AND they're unwilling to articulate a vision that a freemarket insurance market is better, because they know it isn't. They're caught between their own ideologies and reality and its going to result in a disaster if they actually pass something.

actually one of the big problems is that the conmen are dying off to be replaced with true believers who actually think freemarket insurance will be totally fine

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
For all the jokes people make about accelerationism this bill would probably destroy the health insurance industry

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

logikv9 posted:

The Valarian Root that the thread recommended me for anxiety / sleeping issues came in and I look forward to popping one w/ melatonin tonight. From the glowing reviews, I expect to feel good for once. Don't disappoint me!!!

lol can't you just buy some tea with valerian in it at your grocery store? you'll only be less anxious in as much as you'll get drowsy and feel like taking a nap constantly

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Schnorkles posted:

quiet in the tormp thread tonight

im just daydreamkn bout mi rancherita favorita.........¡flor!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Venom Snake posted:

For all the jokes people make about accelerationism this bill would probably destroy the health insurance industry

pretty much guaranteed tbh.

and it would also kill a hell of a lot of people

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Tom Gorman posted:

that is PRET-TY hosed up

in america everyone has the chance to be worth a few dollars off a rich person's taxes.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

ScrubLeague posted:

anyone got youtubes of cornyn and cruz getting cucked by yates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZv2_vs0DME

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

sorry that u can't afford those immunosuppressors fam, will just have to return that kidney you know how it goes :shrug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Long afternoon/evening, what'd I miss besides our shook pissboy?

:laffo:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yinlock posted:

Of the many responsibilities the Air Force maintains, guaranteeing air superiority is at the top of the list, Goldfein said.

“I don’t ever want a Marine or a soldier or a sailor or airman who hears jet noise — I don’t ever want them looking up,” he said. “I want them looking directly into the eyes of their enemy because I want them to know in their heart that that is me. I don’t ever want them thinking that is somebody else.

“If we don’t invest in those capabilities, I’m going to have them looking up, and that spells failure,” he said.

we need our soldiers to look the enemy in the eye as they ritually disembowl the enemy. if they have to break eye contact for even a moment as the drape themselves in the entrails of their still living enemies, its a disgrace to Xipe totec and the sun will vanish for our folly

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

lmao healthcare is like 20% of our economy and it's a partisan jerkoff football

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the fact that they didn't do an easy tax bill in mind boggling

i'm guessing wonk smoothbrain paul ryan wants to pass tax cuts that last because he's afraid of another bush style sunsetting of the tax cuts and he wants the dismantling of the american government to be his "legacy"

the healthcare stuff is just a consequence of them not actually expecting to win the election and having to live up to the trumpian rhetoric of repeal and replace. if Rubio or Jeb! had won they could have a less drastic plan that only kill some people instead of killling a MAGA amount of people

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

humps for trumps

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

rip yates though, there's going to be millions poured into destroying her

they stomped hillary into a robot for daring to say she didn't want to make cookies, what will they do to this poor woman

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schnorkles posted:

nice quote from a staffer friend Iv been texting with today

quote:

If half the people who would lose insurance under this bill died it would essentially be genocide

:yikes:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Yinlock posted:

actually one of the big problems is that the conmen are dying off to be replaced with true believers who actually think freemarket insurance will be totally fine

not particularly, because the AHCA as written fundamentally accepts obamacare's core conceit: you get a tax credit for buying insurance, and we're gonna undertake a system of regulation to keep the insurance companies from artificially limiting the pool

it just does it in the dumbest possible ways that won't work and will blow everything up because paul ryan is a randian manchild.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Schnorkles posted:

the boomer suicide cults masterstroke

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/braddjaffy/status/861780511601111041

According to two sources familiar with the matter — including one in law enforcement — Abedin forwarded only a handful of Clinton emails to her husband for printing — not the “hundreds and thousands” cited by Comey. It does not appear Abedin made “a regular practice” of doing so. Other officials said it was likely that most of the emails got onto the computer as a result of backups of her Blackberry.

lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

even being surrounded by black children didn't protect him

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the CBO score is gonna be i n s a n e and it's gonna slam the brakes on everything for a while.

the Medicaid cuts are bad but I really hope they cut the pec poo poo from the senate version because getting rid of pecs is the one thing in the ACA everyone loves and bringing them back is both evil and disastrous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

yeah ahca isn't a repeal of obamacare, it's just replacing the mechanisms with incredible shittier ones and cutting medicaid

• Locked thread