Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Bas threw straight lead hands all the time, he just wasn't on board with feinting or not sitting down on punches. He figured you may as well just full on punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
if jabs and feints and stuff didn't exist in mma we would be closer to removing the significant strike index, the ultimate goal of making the sport enjoyable

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gay Horney posted:

We use jabs a shitload in my gym. I love the jab. I was just trying to elaborate on why it is not used more often . I definitely regret name dropping I just got mad

But you didn't drop the name?
Can you elaborate on why the jab is more vulnerable to an overhand counter in MMA than boxing?
I can see the argument that it's more suspectible to a takedown if you're maximizing reach and turning too much to the side, but how is it less vulnerable in boxing where you don't even have to show the takedown and commit to a faster and deeper overhand?

cis autodrag posted:

So many guys throw jabs where the leave it out for a couple seconds and let their hand just kinda fall to their waist before bringing it back, and that's all time that half of your guard is down. As soon as someone times your jab, that sort of technique gets you put down.

That's part of the MMA compromise. The higher and tighter your guard, the more work it'll take to react to a clinch or takedown. Leaving it out or putting your hands lower gives you more defense against non-strikes.

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Late to the discussion, but A.J. Liebling used to refer to fighters as "milling coves." Apparently "coves" just meant "boys," so "milling" referred to fighting. But we're talking some old-rear end boxing writing, so probably not relevant.

Slang might have changed a lot in 200 years, but 'cove' is just slang for 'person' in English English now.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

Bas threw straight lead hands all the time, he just wasn't on board with feinting or not sitting down on punches. He figured you may as well just full on punch

Part of his no jabs thing was informed by being a Dutchman in a sport of wrestlers so he had an incredibly square stance, if he never had a lead leg then he had two power hands and could sprawl (theoretically). He's right that you do need a squarer stance in MMA but he was also lovely at wrestling and "limp leg" was just a side effect of painkillers to bas

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
DAN AYKROYD FROM CONEHEADS: Bwargh! Dangity dang! Frssssh! [just starts loving drooling everywhere]

THE WORLD CIRCA 1997: This is what the perfect fighter looks like

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

"limp leg" was just a side effect of painkillers to bas

:drat:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Late to the discussion, but A.J. Liebling used to refer to fighters as "milling coves." Apparently "coves" just meant "boys," so "milling" referred to fighting. But we're talking some old-rear end boxing writing, so probably not relevant.

The audiobook of A.J. Liebling's essays on boxing is quite entertaining.

"Milling coves" goes back to Boxiana and its ilk from Doyle's era in the 1810s, which Liebling paid a lot of tribute to (to the point that the Wikipedia for Boxiana mentions Liebling).

That old boxing writing was great, I read like a few hundred pages of Boxiana like 5 years ago (on Google Books)

Pierce Egan posted:

pp. 109-110

Mr. Brady, well known in the annals of pugilism, was the patron of Humphries, and prevented from attending the battle by business of a private nature; but who felt so anxiously for the issue of the contest, that his servant was ordered to witness the conflict, and convey to him the earliest intelligence. Humphries, immediately after the fight, like the heroes of old, wrote the following laconic epistle to Mr. Brady.

"Sir,

" I have done the Jew and am in good health.

"Richard Humphries."

p. 119

Warr again contended for victory with Dan Mendoza; and it should seem that Bill entertained an idea that there was a chance left of taking the shine out of the Jew; but a quarter of an hour sufficiently satisfied him it was grounded in error!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

"limp leg" was just a side effect of painkillers to bas

lmao

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Marching Powder posted:

remember when gsp put one fo the most prolonged and vicious beatings seen inside the octagon on josh koscheck? little did he know he was vulnerable to the overhand right - the only punch koscheck knows how to throw

I remember that loving eye, was that the same fight?

Edit: yea

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

1st AD posted:

orthodox vs. southpaw

Michael Johnson is very bad

In regard to their common opponents in the UFC, him and Connor have almost identical records. They've both flattened Dustin Poirier (to within 10 seconds of the same time) and lost to Nate Diaz. I find that amusing.

willie_dee posted:

I remember that loving eye, was that the same fight?

Edit: yea

It's the one time I've felt sorry for Koscheck.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Err, it's been a long week. Has anything cool happened? I'm way out of the loop.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Captain Log posted:

Err, it's been a long week. Has anything cool happened? I'm way out of the loop.

gently caress all mate, but there's a good card coming up and the media is just kicking into gear pre fight night style.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

It's the one time I've felt sorry for Koscheck.

I didn't, I disliked the man and seeing him dismantled so well by an mma legend and gentleman was fantastic.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Captain Log posted:

It's monday

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Vitor's training at Tristar for his last (UFC) fight.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/5/8/15586154/vitor-belfort-training-for-ufc-212-retirement-bout-tristar-gym

He's only 40 so I assume the siren song of "come to Japan and do all the 'roids you want" will tempt him over sooner rather than later.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

vainman posted:

It's monday

gently caress me.

willie_dee posted:

gently caress all mate, but there's a good card coming up and the media is just kicking into gear pre fight night style.

I am so God damned pumped for this card. It looks great. Any undercarders to watch?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

david carmichael posted:

It was like watching a tree fall

For those not around at the time, this was supposed to be a boxing rules match originally. They couldn't get it sanctioned, though, so the rules were set to MMA. Sylvia and Mercer made a gentleman's agreement that it would be boxing only. That's why Ray looks at Tim like he's an rear end in a top hat after the low kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

willie_dee posted:

I didn't, I disliked the man and seeing him dismantled so well by an mma legend and gentleman was fantastic.

Yeah. Him losing was cool. Him slowly having his face broken for 25 minutes (he still couldn't fly 6 months later) got a little hard to watch. That poo poo should have been stopped before the end of the second round.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I guess if you guys want to train jabs on special foam targets all day thats fine and I respect it, there's many roads to fitness. But as for myself: I am a warrior, and I will train via full contact haymaker hook swinging suicide drills. Also I'm going to do curls in the squat rack, or where ever else I may please.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

I guess if you guys want to train jabs on special foam targets all day thats fine and I respect it, there's many roads to fitness. But as for myself: I am a warrior, and I will train via full contact haymaker hook swinging suicide drills. Also I'm going to do curls in the squat rack, or where ever else I may please.

You are a glorious being.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Do you guys remember when we all thought Ben Rothwell was going to be the champion and then JDS showed up and punched him in the stomach a bunch of times and we never heard from Rothwell again

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
No one thought Big Ben was gonna be the champ

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ben Rothwell probably did.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah. Him losing was cool. Him slowly having his face broken for 25 minutes (he still couldn't fly 6 months later) got a little hard to watch. That poo poo should have been stopped before the end of the second round.

It wasn't even slow, Koscheck said GSP's jab broke his orbital like two minutes into the fight and he had to go the distance with the injury. He was never the same after that either.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

But you didn't drop the name?
Can you elaborate on why the jab is more vulnerable to an overhand counter in MMA than boxing?
I can see the argument that it's more suspectible to a takedown if you're maximizing reach and turning too much to the side, but how is it less vulnerable in boxing where you don't even have to show the takedown and commit to a faster and deeper overhand?

That's part of the MMA compromise. The higher and tighter your guard, the more work it'll take to react to a clinch or takedown. Leaving it out or putting your hands lower gives you more defense against non-strikes.

It's been described very well already but a couple things--

jabs in MMA are behind a smaller glove so they're harder to defend behind by default. If MMA was boxing with 4oz gloves you wouldn't see near as many jabs because it's harder to pull your hand back and defend.
Really intelligently defending yourself while you throw a jab in boxing involves getting your head off the center line away from the other dude's power and if you overcommit to that in MMA you're opening yourself up to a range of nasty things--kicks to the body, BRH, takedowns, you can throw the jab and defend yourself from a right hand but you can't throw a jab and defend yourself from a right hand or a double leg takedown at the same time quite as well.

i would also like to note that everything I post is from my own retarded brain and is nobody elses fault

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

i would also like to note that everything I post is from my own retarded brain and is nobody else's fault

Same idiot brain here, but I remember in Muay Thai the jab being my favorite sparring punch because everyone would headhunt. When you land a good one your opponents brain basically goes "burk" and they have to reset their combo. This was pretty low to mid level though.

Is there some jab talk to go check out I missed?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gay Horney posted:

Really intelligently defending yourself while you throw a jab in boxing involves getting your head off the center line away from the other dude's power

There's more than one way to use a jab while limiting potential risks, not just by moving your head off line.

quote:

if you overcommit to that in MMA you're opening yourself up to a range of nasty things--kicks to the body, BRH, takedowns,
You don't have to overcommit, nor does overcommitting to your inside put you in more danger of a same-stance overhand.
That you're vulnerable to other attacks off the jab doesn't support your case that the BRH is the MMA nullifier of the jab.

quote:

you can throw the jab and defend yourself from a right hand but you can't throw a jab and defend yourself from a right hand or a double leg takedown at the same time quite as well.

That's true, but the fact that you can get shot on off a jab is different from "The jab in MMA makes you vulnerable to an overhand right or cross unless you throw it perfectly"
"Many fighters would rather set up a bigger strike." A bigger strike plays more into the vulnerabilities that can be capitalized on with a counter overhand or shot.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
I like jabs because if you hit them fast enough then the green monster guy shoots lightning out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

jabs in MMA are behind a smaller glove so they're harder to defend.

I fixed it for you. If you don't know what you're talking about you probably shouldn't be so adamant about it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

the poster looks up from his model set and sneers as he snaps the last piece of the track into place. "do you even traaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiin"

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 9, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Notice I didn't say anything about training, you dunce.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/PlushAcidicGuineapig.webm

https://zippy.gfycat.com/BlissfulBaggyDromedary.webm

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 9, 2017

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I do think Ben Rothwell could beat a rusty Cain Velasquez, so in theory he coulda been champion.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

I do think Ben Rothwell could beat a rusty Cain Velasquez, so in theory he coulda been champion.

Cain has been injured a bunch, I know, but he is still way faster than Rothwell and would just single leg him and beat him up again.

Edit: If you haven't seen the first fight you should watch it if only for Rothwell complaining about the stoppage after taking what seemed like a galaxy's worth of punches and elbows to the head.

Edit 2:vvv That was incredible, yeah.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 9, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Rothwell casually dismantling Alistair Overeem then awkwardly dancing is peak Heavyweight MMA and I won't stand for anyone saying otherwise. I won't stand for it!
*Tries to sit down, awkwardly jigs until he falls out the window*

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Jeremy horn says the jab difficult to implement and he wants to know if you're gonna finish that sandwich

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Rothwell casually dismantling Alistair Overeem then awkwardly dancing is peak Heavyweight MMA and I won't stand for anyone saying otherwise. I won't stand for it!
*Tries to sit down, awkwardly jigs until he falls out the window*

In the total spectrum of heavyweight MMA accomplishments, 'I knocked out Alistair Overeem and submitted Josh Barnett' is a hell of a sentence, particularly when the person saying it has the handicap of being Ben Rothwell

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'd also rate "I KO'd the guy that would go on to do that and also KO'd Cro Cop yet somehow am Brendan Schaub every other day of my life"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

I'd also rate "I KO'd the guy that would go on to do that and also KO'd Cro Cop yet somehow am Brendan Schaub every other day of my life"

I don't know what we're talking about anymore. Ben Rothwell is the only guy to actually sub Barnett, and he Ko'd Schaub. What have I missed?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Was looking at the wrong Wikipedia page on my phone, disregard.

Still, knocking out Cro Cop while being Brendan Schaub is a fair departure from form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I think half the people here could be better striking coaches than most pro-fighters have, but so would a speak and spell shouting "punch the face!

• Locked thread