Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rookersh posted:

Do you ever see the survivors you save anywhere? I went through all that trouble saving everyone in Crew Quarters where the gently caress did they all go!

Same, I've rescued everyone and they aren't all showing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Instead of doing the Artreum/GUTS mission I've been meandering for like 2 hours inside the water treatment plant, the air filtration place, and some fuckin lobby where I cleared out everything and got a fuckton of material, neuromods, and other poo poo. I think I've gone as far as I can in this side area because I assume I need to power up a lift or generator or something to go further, also I'm scared to go back into the zero G tunnel with those loving cysts and the goddamn technopath.

I barely did the GUTS/Cargo run as the technopath fired poo poo at me only to discover that opening this thing does nothing? it's like the 2nd thing i've done besides turning on the air filtration that I did randomly without being asked to, and yet neither really did anything discernible. lame.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Same, I've rescued everyone and they aren't all showing there.

I don't know if the crew quarters people every actually go there so you can talk to them, but there is a survivor hideout in the cargo bay.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Instead of doing the Artreum/GUTS mission I've been meandering for like 2 hours inside the water treatment plant, the air filtration place, and some fuckin lobby where I cleared out everything and got a fuckton of material, neuromods, and other poo poo. I think I've gone as far as I can in this side area because I assume I need to power up a lift or generator or something to go further, also I'm scared to go back into the zero G tunnel with those loving cysts and the goddamn technopath.

I barely did the GUTS/Cargo run as the technopath fired poo poo at me only to discover that opening this thing does nothing? it's like the 2nd thing i've done besides turning on the air filtration that I did randomly without being asked to, and yet neither really did anything discernible. lame.
gently caress the GUTS. its weird and hard to navigate and actually really cool but such a pain in the goddamn rear end, too.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What's the best pro gamer tip for technocrats? They are munching my butt right now.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Has anyone noticed that when you start out you can see the simulation labs label out the windows of the test chambers?

By the way why was Morgan in the sim labs in the first place? What is the purpose of removing and replacing neuromods and running this groundhog day scenario? I'm not sure I ever got a full explanation for it...Why did his personality start to change with each successive reboot?

Asproigerosis posted:

What's the best pro gamer tip for technocrats? They are munching my butt right now.

The stun gun will kill them and other robotic/tech enemies in short order. Fully upgrade one for maximum carnage and ammo efficiency.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

Has anyone noticed that when you start out you can see the simulation labs label out the windows of the test chambers?

By the way why was Morgan in the sim labs in the first place? What is the purpose of removing and replacing neuromods and running this groundhog day scenario? I'm not sure I ever got a full explanation for it...Why did his personality start to change with each successive reboot?

The stun gun will kill them and other robotic/tech enemies in short order. Fully upgrade one for maximum carnage and ammo efficiency.

Don't worry, they explain everything.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Asproigerosis posted:

psychoshock them which locks down their attack ability, then unload on them with whatever you've got. shoot them, chuck recyclers at them. if you have machine mind you can turn their robot helpers against them.

the ones in zero g are obnoxious but I noticed that grenades thrown in zero g have a flat trajectory, so I just pegged them with grenades until I could close to shotgun range.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've got a few questions about this game. I love horror games to death and horror sci-fi is always cool but I'm 150% sick of horror games that limit your ammo and have you constantly scrounging for it and conserving everything else you have. Does this game do that?

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've got a few questions about this game. I love horror games to death and horror sci-fi is always cool but I'm 150% sick of horror games that limit your ammo and have you constantly scrounging for it and conserving everything else you have. Does this game do that?

You're having to scrounge to make ammo, but I don't feel like I've ever been without the necessary ingredients to do so. I've got 50 shotgun shells on me right now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you're bad at scrounging or using the environment or your skills or more than one gun, yes, you might run short. If you're willing to do any of the above you can be swimming in ammo.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

A core theme of the game is recycling/fabrication. Basically anything you find can be turned into materials, and then you can fabricate anything from ammo to medkits if you know the recipe. You also get recycler balls you can throw at scenery which turn into more materials.

If you are like me and prefer security weapons you'll eventually hit a bit of a wall where you DESPERATELY NEED METAL, loving GOD PLEASE, but it's not the end of the world. You can also just throw all the furniture in an area into a pile and then recycle it, which gives some absurd number of materials and probably has you set for life.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rad. I don't mind searching in games so it sounds like I'll have to grab this sometime. Thanks!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
For a Typhon only run I am bizarrely short on organic materials but have a lot of everything else. The direct damage nukes pretty much one shot anything including stuff like Technopaths. Those guys are really weak to kinetic blast

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just got my first couple Typhon powers. On the one hand, I have questions. On the other, I feel like I should play the stupid game and find out for myself what ends up happening. I think I should go with the latter.

Also, I kind of see this with a few reviews already, but I get the feeling quite a few people are going to bounce HARD off the game, as good as it is. I only played System Shock 2 for the first time a few years ago, back when it was rereleased, and Prey is very much like it arguably to a fault; The early game has you beating most things to death with a wrench, which is just like System Shock 2 but I feel like not a whole lot of people will have the patience for it. Doubly so if they make the mistake of playing on a console. I am not a :byodood: PC MASTER RACE :byodood: idiot, but this was not meant to be played on a controller, straight up.

I also think Arkane's work on Dishonored will also work against them here as well. In Dishonored, you start off very powerful then get even more ridiculously so. In Prey, the curve starts off much lower, and while I am sure it swings upward (Kinetic Blast I alone!), I do not think most will have the patience for it. More than anything else, this game lives and dies by knowing what you are getting yourself into.

Putting aside all my dumbass thoughts, where do non-preorder people get their shotguns? In the demo I got one as soon as I entered the Lobby. In my playthrough with the preorder bonus stuff, I did not encounter a normal shotgun until the security office of the lobby, I think.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 9, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, I just did the Magnetosphere encounter and that was pretty tense. Also January killed December!? and now I feel like I should have done that other thing first

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Unlucky7 posted:

Putting aside all my dumbass thoughts, where do non-preorder people get their shotguns? In the demo I got one as soon as I entered the Lobby. In my playthrough with the preorder bonus stuff, I did not encounter a normal shotgun until the security office of the lobby, I think.

Sounds about right in my experiences. It takes a little while to get your first shotgun, which would be a problem in a game where the pistol wasn't a murder laser.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
does the EVA speed ever get upgraded by an item or something? I like that you can fly around outside but during the longer trips I'm basically keeping my Kindle open next to the keyboard.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

does the EVA speed ever get upgraded by an item or something? I like that you can fly around outside but during the longer trips I'm basically keeping my Kindle open next to the keyboard.

Just to make sure. You're using the sprint button right?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Just to make sure. You're using the sprint button right?

lol.

:negative:

hahahaha. well, that helps. thanks.

I mean to my credit how does one "sprint" in the black void of space? it just doesn't make sense!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You have multiple thrusters.

Also while typing this post I was in an EVA and smashed against a solar panel and died instantly

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

uber_stoat posted:

lol.

:negative:

hahahaha. well, that helps. thanks.

I mean to my credit how does one "sprint" in the black void of space? it just doesn't make sense!

These days, I think of shift as the boost/afterburner hotkey rather than sprint. Speeding up movement is what it does, no matter what situation one finds themself.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
With the moon spinning, I wonder if there's some kind of Easter Egg there if you look through the telescope at the right moment.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Is it still possible to get in Dr Devries's office in the trauma centre with the glue and foam darts, or did they change it after the demo?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What are the odds of a sequel? I want to see this story continue.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Unlucky7 posted:

If you drop jump out Morgan's office window you'll come down on a balcony with an exit to IT Security. On one of the desks / workbenches there is a card to get into the lobby's security station.

enigmatikone
Sep 30, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you drop jump out Morgan's office window you'll come down on a balcony with an exit to IT Security. On one of the desks / workbenches there is a card to get into the lobby's security station.

You can climb the pipes in the hallway leading to an airduct and drop down through the Security office ceiling.
As general advice, I'd recommend always looking for an airduct or maintenance hatch as every single time I got stuck in the game that was the answer.

enigmatikone fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 9, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way into this alleged room on the left?

There's no sign that room even exists other than the map claiming there's something there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Crustashio posted:

Is it normal when you enter the crew quarters from the arboretum that the game spawns a nightmare directly in front of you? I had no choice but to kill that thing, thankfully the gloo gun + shotgun seems to work well.

It happened to me and I immediately left the area (back through the loading screen) and casually whistled in the access corridor safely while the timer ran out.

The best combat is the combat you can avoid.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What are the odds of a sequel? I want to see this story continue.

I'm hoping sales are high enough but I don't want it rushed - something this good deserves a sequel with the same attention to detail and level design.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I chugged a bunch of neuromods down in the cargo bay after fabricating about nine of them at once. It was enough to instantly send another nightmare after me, who spawned in the room with all the survivors and got shot to death without me having to do anything.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DancingShade posted:

I'm hoping sales are high enough but I don't want it rushed - something this good deserves a sequel with the same attention to detail and level design.
I'd take a DLC campaign that doubles the game's length like in Dishonored :getin:. I'm imagining something cool like controling somebody that got rescued off the station by the protagonist in the main game only to get into more trouble.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So in the Shuttle Bay I launched the escape pod. If I'm trying to blow up the station to stop the Typhon, did I just gently caress Earth anyway? And I realize that it doesn't matter if I'm saving anyone here if blowing up the station is the right thing to do... in terms of the main story I just got the two paths of finding the escape pod key or the destruct key. I guess I'm just having trouble parsing the decision here, is it something that becomes absolutely clearer later?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

I'd take a DLC campaign that doubles the game's length like in Dishonored :getin:. I'm imagining something cool like controling somebody that got rescued off the station by the protagonist in the main game only to get into more trouble.

Sounds good. I'd buy it.

Heck you could also be awakened Morgan going to a lunar military base to do some extended fetch quest before heading to Earth and of course it's infested with typhon and corrupted terminators or something.

Maybe both? *gets credit card ready*

Actually awakened Morgan's first quest would probably be to find mimic a pair of pants, or else salvage some real ones from some dead person's room.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 9, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I hope they go ham on meaningful interactivity. The more things you can do in a single room, and the more those things actually matter - the better. I spend so much time in every single room exactly because I think it's more than just a series of pretty props.

Bethesda should just hire Zachtronics to help them with this. In Prey 2 you'd then be able to hack an operator, reprogram its AI and basically have it beat the whole game for you. Or reprogram it to play Super Mario World and then reprogram SMW to stream Twitch chat.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I really enjoyed the game, and I think the high levels of its praise show just how badly we need these types of games. That being said it had a huge amount of problems, and I am not sure if it ever knew what it wanted to be.

Great game though, definite recommendation and maybe top game of the year for me thus far.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Popelmon posted:

Just finished it after ~21 hours. Woof.

I went for the self destruct option and then I used the escape pod to peace out, leaving my ex and the weird doc behind. I didn't really like the last half hour or so, the military robots were really annoying.

Loved the after credits stuff. It will really piss some people off but it worked for me. They all judged me to be worthy and I decided to take their hand.

Really want to start over now. I didn't use any typhon powers in this playthrough, can't wait to go hogwild with all the alien powers. I have also skipped a bunch of sidequests.

GOTY for me, exploring has never been so much fun, most of the sequence breaking pays off in really cool ways and I loved how all the little side stories were written. Following the footsteps of the D&D group was really cool.

Took me about 30 hours for an initial run.

I self destructed, but escaped on the shuttle with Igwe, Mika, and the security chief. I saved Alex from the Mega Typhon, but dropped him with the stun gun when he pulled his gun on January on the bridge..

When I first ran into the military robots, I dropped back to the save before uploading the Coral Data and went and explored the shuttle bay and life support (where I hadn't been yet), finished up some side quests, and upgraded the crap out of my Stun Pistol (aka Operator's Bane -- fully upgraded that thing drops a Military Operator in two zaps, or just one if you get the big sneak attack bonus).

I was aiming for 0 Typhon mods, but caved and got the mimic level one to grab the keycard in the morgue. Couldn't figure out how to get the Science Operator to go there so I could tailgate it in, and didn't think to hit the button with a dart from the Huntress. No cheevo, but for storyline / post-credits that's treated as pretty similar to none, it seems.

The ending worked for me. The station was a blast to explore. I did quite a few side-quests. Did you do the treasure hunt? Good stuff!

Prey, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Hollow Knight are contending for GOTY 2017 for me right now.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 9, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Last night I found my way back into the Neuromod division and discovered a whole second floor of stuff I missed the first time! I was in Halden Graves' office trying to get the neuromod licence DRM removed, and after I did it, the Nightmare spawned. January said something about "installing alien neuromods" which I have not done. So far I've gone 100% no-psi (except for the slowdown ability, but I picked that up after this event). Anyways I saw the Nightmare's awareness indicator way off in the distance, but it never got close. Just hung out there until it despawned. I'm a huge coward, so I'm glad I didn't have to fight it.

My question is: is installing alien powers the trigger to get the Nightmare to come after you? Also, the satellite January mentioned: if I use it, does that get rid of the Nightmare?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It'll stat appearing randomly after a certain point in the story, but it'll show up more and more often corresponding with how many psi neuromods you have installed. Even if you have none, you'll still see it from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'd have to say that the dialogue is pretty restrained for what Avellone usually writes, considering they hired him to write the dialogue