Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Sydin posted:

So can any Giants goons explain to me why bay area sports pundits hate Brandon Belt so much? My coworker two desks down has been blasting local sports radio all day for some reason and listening to these guys you'd think the Giants would be 32-0 if Belt would just get off his lazy rear end and start producing.

I've also learned that Hunter Pence is apparently worth a package of top prospects :lol:

Giants fans hate him because he's great at things that aren't ~dingerz~ and ~ribbies~. He has a great eye at the plate and rockin defense. He was .300/.400/.500 until slightly before the ASG last year.

He's also "injury prone" which consists of getting hit with baseballs a lot in the head and wrist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Belt had an amazing first half last year followed by a mediocre second half, and now people think he's terrible.

Also fun fact:

Giants 1B from 1997-2011: 16.4 WAR
Brandon Belt 2011-2016: 16.8 WAR
(Baseball Reference numbers)

And 3 of those 6 seasons are <500 PAs due to injuries, except 2012 when they were trying to platoon him with a Brett Pill.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Funnest of Brandon Belt, noted terrible hitter facts:

He leads the team in OPS since 2013.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

elentar posted:

The Braves picked up another lovely bench player today, acquiring Danny Santana from the Twins. In return, they sent over one of their many lovely bullpen arms tucked away in AAA and a little cash.

I like this trade. Santana is super bad (don't let his rookie year fool you, he had a .405 BABIP) and Chapman is a lefty who strikes people out sometimes.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

gently caress off rain and hail.

double-header tomorrow.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yankees playin' real loose, might never lose another series.

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/861783556355309568

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

the yankees are having too much fun, this is a disgrace to our national pastime

look at the sideburns on all 5 of those yahoos. this is a baseball team not a punk rock band.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Some Numbers posted:

I still don't understand why so many people are anti-walk. Like, sure, a walk's not a dinger or a double, but it's not a K or a DP either.

Usually they're people of the mindset of "You never know what'll happen if you just put it in play!"

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Grittybeard posted:

Alcides Escobar is slashing .183/.220/.250 so far this year. He has the worst OBP over the last 5 years for any player who's averaged 100 games a year ( a robust .287). Good enough to be promoted to the leadoff spot on the Royals!

Oh wait, the chart I was linked to on that OBP thing includes 2017. Still he has more than a full season's worth of games on the next closest in games played to him that had a worse OBP (660-493).

Never doubt Esky magic heretic!

Good loving god this team is horrible.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

New Concept Hole posted:

Giants 1B from 1997-2011: 16.4 WAR
Brandon Belt 2011-2016: 16.8 WAR
(Baseball Reference numbers)

Okay I was wrong here, the Giants got 23.4 WAR from the 1B position from 1997-2011. That's what I get for not relying on web tools to compile this data.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/connortryan/status/861794656392290304

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Outreach to the Hispanic community and a growing international market is commendable in my opinion.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So let me get this straight:
- Harvey went out at 1am and spent three hours knocking back shots with his friends in the corner of a bar the night before a game. Incredibly dumb, but not world ending.
- Despite this Harvey was apparently well enough to go golfing the next morning. Or so he says anyway.
- He's not with the team by batting practice, and depending on who you believe he either told the team in advance he was ill and wouldn't be there, or later responded with that to the team after they questioned his absence.
- Either way, Collins immediately flipped his poo poo and called up Mets ownership to have him suspended.
- Also the Mets sent a security entourage to Harvey's apartment later that night to make sure he was home and interrogate him on his story/condition.

What is wrong with the loving Mets :psyduck: I'd expected he'd shown up to the game drunk/hungover and stinking of liquor, not that he'd had a bit much and called in sick. Oh, also this:

https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/861675978866790400

:lol:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Oh no a pitcher was having some drinks on his day off? OH THE HUMANITY.

Also the sending your goons to try and catch him in a lie or intimidate him is loving ridiculous. If my employer sent guys to my house to check on my migraine I'd be looking for a new employer.

Sending some security guys to grill your ballplayer is some creepy billionaire poo poo where you think you run the world

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 9, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I like this trade. Santana is super bad (don't let his rookie year fool you, he had a .405 BABIP) and Chapman is a lefty who strikes people out sometimes.

Fun fact: with a .6 career WAR, Santana is 1.6 WAR ahead of Chris Johnson.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Recovered CCTV footage from the Mets security team checking on Harvey at his residence...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RfV-D8O7kk

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not siding with the Mets but for some reason I get the feeling this isn't the first time this has happened with Harvey.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems like a genuine problem for Harvey but the Mets seem to be actively handling it as badly as possible to make him more sympathetic.

Maybe its an elaborate PR move.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

Chapman is a lefty who strikes people out sometimes.

Out of context this reads like the understatement of the century.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
NJ.com has some decent writers on their site, so why not read this wonderful listicle about potential trade targets for Matt Harvey.

Including but not limited to:
-Luis Severino
-Rafael Devers
-Mike Trout plus a throw-in

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

NJ.com has some decent writers on their site, so why not read this wonderful listicle about potential trade targets for Matt Harvey.

-Mike Trout plus a throw-in

That's not even close to what it says

quote:

The signature piece in the deal would be a guy the Angels continually say they won't deal, so the Mets may have to give up a little more than just Harvey... Actually, a lot more. It would have to be a huge package that would include some top prospects. First base prospect Dominic Smith, who grew up nearby in Los Angeles, would give the Halos an exciting face to replace the aging Albert Pujols at first base. The Mets need a third baseman and Cowart isn't quite panning out the way the Angels had hoped and a change of scenery could be beneficial.
The Mets might have to mortgage the farm but hey, it's the best player in baseball.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I would like to offer a slightly-used Brett Anderson

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

That's not even close to what it says

The idea that anybody would want Harvey right now is ridiculous enough to make me not apologize for being hyperbolic and putting extra weight into the headings rather than the thin, dumb "content." :colbert:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
ESPN runs a fat-guy-is-OBP-wizard-as-leadoff-hitter front page article the day after the Royals trot out Alcides Escobar as leadoff "hitter". Am unsure if this is ironic.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

The idea that anybody would want Harvey right now is ridiculous enough to make me not apologize for being hyperbolic and putting extra weight into the headings rather than the thin, dumb "content." :colbert:

Read > Comprehend > Post

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My condolences to Tallion on the loss of his nut and I sincerely wish him a quick and complete recovery. Cancer is a motherfucker.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I would like to offer a slightly-used Brett Anderson

I'd take a flier on him.

Also at least he didn't do anything stupid and end up dead. We've had enough of that poo poo.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Jays are winning it all this year

http://i.imgur.com/tXWZxMO.gifv

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Jays are winning it all this year

http://i.imgur.com/tXWZxMO.gifv

If you ignore the great catch, slamming face-first into the dirt is a great metaphor for their start to the season :v:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
loving :lol: at calling pounding shots until 4 am and then missing practice on the day before you're scheduled to start "having a few drinks on your day off." Harvey was certainly supposed to be going over scouting reports and coming up with a game plan on Saturday, but he decided to be a manchild and blow off his responsibilities.

And let's not act like there isn't years of history here, davecrazy's Harvey meltdowns the year they went to the WS were about him skipping/being late for practice.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I steadfastly refuse to hate Matt Harvey, but I will say that at 28 god damned years old, the man really should be better at managing hangover symptoms, if in fact that's what actually happened.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Vindicated for putting him on my hated baseball player list at the start of last season

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

loving :lol: at calling pounding shots until 4 am and then missing practice on the day before you're scheduled to start "having a few drinks on your day off." Harvey was certainly supposed to be going over scouting reports and coming up with a game plan on Saturday, but he decided to be a manchild and blow off his responsibilities.

And let's not act like there isn't years of history here, davecrazy's Harvey meltdowns the year they went to the WS were about him skipping/being late for practice.

Yeah I tend to agree, though the Mets sending security and actively antagonizing him in public makes him sympathetic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He's a goddamn professional athlete shouldn't he have access to a training staff with IV's and poo poo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dexo posted:

He's a goddamn professional athlete shouldn't he have access to a training staff with IV's and poo poo.

That's Met?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I can agree that Harvey probably has some professionalism problems if not something worse, but citing davecrazy's posts as anything other than hysterical crying is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I steadfastly refuse to hate Matt Harvey, but I will say that at 28 god damned years old, the man really should be better at managing hangover symptoms, if in fact that's what actually happened.

Imagine having a stressful job that beats the hell out of your body and it's against corporate rules to call in sick. Any of us here call in after a few too many the night before?

This is what greenies are for goddamnit, put the big bowl of greenies back on the locker room table for chrissakes. <ghost of Mantle nods his head>

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
How many seasons did the Royals WS buy Dayton Moore and Ned Yost? Because the team looks loving terrible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

How many seasons did the Royals WS buy Dayton Moore and Ned Yost? Because the team looks loving terrible.

Moore probably gets a chance a rebuild, and it sounds like he actually realizes they need one if they aren't in contention in July (heh) which is better than last year when they thought they were buyers despite being something like 10 games out at the trade deadline? I don't know about Yost.

There are rumors that the Glasses have been screwing with things again, and Moore thought he would have more leeway to add salary last offseason than he actually did. Not that a few more million would fix anything for this team, but I'm willing to take any opportunity to hate the Glass family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dexo posted:

I wouldn't let any of the Mets medical staff near me with anything sharper than a tongue depressor. And even then I would be very worried about splinters.

• Locked thread