Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Any LP's or guides for Endless Space 2? I'm having trouble finding recent ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
There probably aren't any yet. The game hasn't even been released

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

SirKibbles posted:

Any LP's or guides for Endless Space 2? I'm having trouble finding recent ones.

this one is pretty good at explaining some of the less intuitive things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsXsPxvqK7k

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Do we have any information on the last faction yet? There's only one right?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Flipswitch posted:

Do we have any information on the last faction yet? There's only one right?

They're pacifist intelligent trees called the Unfallen.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Trees? What. Though the Cultists were fan submissions so curious how that will turn out.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

They're pacifist intelligent trees called the Unfallen.

ENTS! IN! SPAAAAAACE!

If they're played like that, it could be amazing. Or you're joking, because that sounds like someone got really loving baked, thought that up, and submitted the idea.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
One of their mechanics is to smoke so hard they end a war so you're not wrong.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
They also substitute food for industry because everything in their society is made of living trees.

Everything.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
But, on the other hand, their biggest ships also cost population, so they need a lot of food.

These are the traits as of October. I guarantee they've been changed by now but here's the basic concept, at least. In particular, their peace-related effects - Smoking the Trees, possibly their pacifist war ban - were called out as needing work, and there was some talk about how them getting information from other factions should work. I haven't really paid attention to more recent chat than that, so if they announced something that doesn't match this, go with that rather than this - it's old info.

The Unfallen posted:

The Unfallen Faction: Nearly-Immortal, Dual-Natured Sentient Trees that CANNOT DECLARE WAR WHILE PACIFISTS ARE IN CONTROL OF THE SENATE.
Pacifist Diplomats - "Speak Softly, but Carry a Big Stick."

Faction-Specific Traits:
War and Peace from the Senate: The Unfallen cannot declare war while the Pacifists are in control of the senate. As they're peaceful by nature, they also receive a 20% malus to happiness when they declare war with anyone else in control of the senate, except Militarists. With Militarists in control of the senate, they can declare war freely and receive no malus to their happiness.

Smoking the Trees: The Unfallen can force peace by sacrificing a population unit, as their smoke is intoxicating and has an extreme pacification effect. This truce lasts twice as long as a normal truce as the effect of the smoke is addictive, too. This sacrifice is highly regarded as one of the most noble things an Unfallen can do.

Living Dwellings: The Unfallen use food as their production, as they use their own to construct their infrastructure. Therefore, Industry is not utilized.

From One, Cosmic Power: They use their own to build monstrous ships, which require populations points to build. As such, some of the larger hulls are available a bit earlier, too. They also regenerate over time, without the need for technology.

They're In The Trees!: As The Unfallen share an affinity with all plant life, plant life on other faction's planets give The Unfallen some non-detailed information once they've become aware of The Unfallen's existence. Build queue, population and stationed ships are known to The Unfallen.

Peace Provides Sentience: Being at peace with the Unfallen provides you with one Unfallen population point at every planet you have with a temperate environment, once each planet has room. As a race achieves peace with the Unfallen, the Unfallen enlighten the native tree population. Each Unfallen population unit receives a bonus to food production.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I'm really hoping the Unfallen have the bonuses to make up for all their maluses. Food is clearly the weakest pillar of FIDSI and paying pop points for bigger ships is nasty as hell. Though I suspect they'll be the Sowers of ES2.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm really hoping the Unfallen have the bonuses to make up for all their maluses. Food is clearly the weakest pillar of FIDSI and paying pop points for bigger ships is nasty as hell. Though I suspect they'll be the Sowers of ES2.

These were very old ideas that were part of the original voted-on suggestions. I imagine they've been ... adjusted ... by the devs to make something feasible.

They did submit some cool designs though.

The big ones remind me of Gunbuster's Space Monsters, except trees instead of weirdly fungal, and I can't hate that.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Prism posted:

Smoking the Trees: The Unfallen can force peace by sacrificing a population unit, as their smoke is intoxicating and has an extreme pacification effect. This truce lasts twice as long as a normal truce as the effect of the smoke is addictive, too. This sacrifice is highly regarded as one of the most noble things an Unfallen can do.

This is a joke, right? I know you said it was being reworked, but how was it even being considered?

It sounds like a way less costly version of one of the most powerful (and certainly the most annoying) abilities in EL, and the description reads like the kind of wink wink nudge nudge humor I expect from a 14-year-old.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Avasculous posted:

This is a joke, right? I know you said it was being reworked, but how was it even being considered?

It sounds like a way less costly version of one of the most powerful (and certainly the most annoying) abilities in EL, and the description reads like the kind of wink wink nudge nudge humor I expect from a 14-year-old.

Welcome to Endless Space voting.

More seriously, beats me. I assume if anything gets ripped out and totally replaced it's this one.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That was the original fan suggestion. Because, you know, fan suggestions. My assumption was that the developers were just taking the basic idea of pacifist trees that grow their ships and starting from there. Does anyone know what the original Cultist suggestion looked like?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Clarste posted:

That was the original fan suggestion. Because, you know, fan suggestions. My assumption was that the developers were just taking the basic idea of pacifist trees that grow their ships and starting from there. Does anyone know what the original Cultist suggestion looked like?

I just went to look, but apparently posts that old aren't archived.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Avasculous posted:

iirc when this vote happened the peace concessions in wartime were automatic rather than something you could choose to accept, i.e. you would automatically return to a Cold War state after some amount of time. Now that accepting the peace is a choice, it certainly would be stronger.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The vote happened way before that, before anyone really knew how the game played at all.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I've about 9 hours under my belt after buying ES2 on Friday and couple things, 1) the penalties for not taking a truce are probably a little steep and 2) Invasions are loving brutal and retreating doesn't work, is this a known bug? Other than that its an Endless 4x alright. :v:

But the invasion thing is just brutal. I was at war with Horatio and decided to invade two of his systems at ~2:1 odds, eventually take one system and the other (homeworld, might be why it was able to replenish manpower so effectively) just ground me down until I said gently caress it and, after retreating a couple turns in a row (I do love that you can't retreat BEFORE the combat) just pulled the ships out and apparently left the last of the invasion troops to die.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Coffeehitler posted:

I've about 9 hours under my belt after buying ES2 on Friday and couple things, 1) the penalties for not taking a truce are probably a little steep and 2) Invasions are loving brutal and retreating doesn't work, is this a known bug? Other than that its an Endless 4x alright. :v:

But the invasion thing is just brutal. I was at war with Horatio and decided to invade two of his systems at ~2:1 odds, eventually take one system and the other (homeworld, might be why it was able to replenish manpower so effectively) just ground me down until I said gently caress it and, after retreating a couple turns in a row (I do love that you can't retreat BEFORE the combat) just pulled the ships out and apparently left the last of the invasion troops to die.

1) They want wars to be shorter and less apocalyptic unless you have an overwhelming advantage over the enemy.

2) The troops are dropped on the planet when the invasion starts and are no longer associated with the ships. That's actually not a bad thing because it means your fleet can go back for reinforcements while they're still fighting (use guerilla warfare to minimize losses while you're waiting). The enemy is replenishing their manpower by using the option that converts permanently converts citizens into troops. They're basically fighting tooth and nail to save their homeworld at any cost. Personally I like to wait until I have tanks to invade anyone, since they have a Rock-Paper-Scissors advantage against Infantry and games tend to end before anyone researches their weakness (Aircraft). You can fiddle with your troops in the military tab.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

After having played 90+ hours of this game so far, and playing Vodyani last, I can say I really don't enjoy playing them that much. You pretty much have to be at war with everyone, and have your sapping ships have to be in a fleet to survive, and you pretty much HAVE to do this in order to expand out enough.

But, you don't gain any improvements on planets like Citizen Science (probably because the vodyani pop bonuses are so good) which bothers me. That and you don't "really" gain the planets from minor civs, you just have them under your banner, but then you can't do improvements on their planets either.

I really wish it was easier for heroes in a fleet to level compared to system placed heroes, and I wish heroes themselves accumulated twice as fast as they do now, if anything.

Maybe these Tree guys will be fun, but even on endless difficulty the AI isn't building enough ships for my tastes. If I am building a cruiser, I want my opponent to at least be at the point where they're building medium/large ships otherwise it isn't a challenge.

I also wish that the merc ships you can buy off the market were modifiable, which they clearly are if you pick one up, you can see a bunch of mount points for extra weapons and stuff, but you can't edit them or make them yourself. Why? If I have bought someone's ship off the market, logically what's stopping me from having my advanced civ make a blueprint of it and then using it in my fleets?

To be fair, I really like the design of some of the merc vessels.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 26, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm slowly getting the hang of ES2, having not played ES1 before. Wasn't a fan of Vodyani either, but I'm enjoying Lumeris, in that I can just pump money (I miss Broken Lords) and just buy all the systems. I can't wait for the game to be fully released so we can get some finished product LPs though, because I really need to follow some good LPs to get an idea of what works, what doesn't, etc. and all the ones up right now are from older alpha versions with different mechanics, etc.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
i miss the Sowers. While they weren't a great es1 race i like the idea of a bunch of machines terraforming worlds

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Willfrey posted:

i miss the Sowers. While they weren't a great es1 race i like the idea of a bunch of machines terraforming worlds

You're in luck, the Epistis (a minor faction) have that flavor in ES2, and Environmentalist governments get the "colonize EVERYTHING right out the gate" ability.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Prism posted:

These were very old ideas that were part of the original voted-on suggestions. I imagine they've been ... adjusted ... by the devs to make something feasible.

They did submit some cool designs though.

The big ones remind me of Gunbuster's Space Monsters, except trees instead of weirdly fungal, and I can't hate that.
Those ships really remind me of the Amoeba, so cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Glidergun posted:

You're in luck, the Epistis (a minor faction) have that flavor in ES2, and Environmentalist governments get the "colonize EVERYTHING right out the gate" ability.

It's not the same though.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I really hate the stupid constant pirate spawns from minor faction planets. You have to put your hero on a fleet just to not get overrun.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I ended up turning pirates off because I was getting tired of dealing with them.

There's also a weird and interesting teaser on the Endless Space Facebook page called E.N.F.E.R or something similar, lots of static with HELLO HUMAN as the text, were not far from launch so curious what this is.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Flipswitch posted:

I ended up turning pirates off because I was getting tired of dealing with them.

There's also a weird and interesting teaser on the Endless Space Facebook page called E.N.F.E.R or something similar, lots of static with HELLO HUMAN as the text, were not far from launch so curious what this is.

It's a program you can enable that lets you view what decisions the AI factions are making every turn. Will be useful for users interested in modding the AI when the game gets workshop or if you want to know just why the sophon AI just did something catastrophically dumb. Not much use to the average player though.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i cant believe EL2 was like 7bux in feb and i didnt pick it up....

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I believe this is the first we've heard for a release date?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm6Flesu_Fk

May 19th.

Edit: Actually it was first mentioned about 3 weeks ago, I just missed it. :v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That's pretty close. I was planning to sit down and play today but might try EL instead.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
It's always a little sad how dead this thread is vs. how good the Endless games are in general. Just played ES2 for after ignoring it since initial beta release, it feels really good now! Probably better than EL.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean, I'm not posting in this thread much because I'm busy playing the game, rather than thinking about playing the game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm waiting for the real release before going all in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I just found this thread after seeing the launch date trailer, I will buy it the day before release

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I like it a lot but am waiting for launch. Plus a bunch of big games are out which are drawing posters away.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

It's always a little sad how dead this thread is vs. how good the Endless games are in general. Just played ES2 for after ignoring it since initial beta release, it feels really good now! Probably better than EL.

For one, we complain less than in the Civilization thread. Heh.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah, the Endless series should get on to the release 1/3 of a game and then finish it with expansions model to keep interest up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It works as people keep buying Civ and Fallout games for some reason.