Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GunnerJ posted:

This is crazy. I never noticed anything like this when I played, which was a while ago. Could it be a bug introduced since then by a patch?

save/load is for people who don't just play the whole thing straight through ironman style! clearly why I've never noticed it

:negative:

I've got DF and HK installed (not Returns at the moment) and I can test this later today for one more data point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'll test it myself when i have a chance

i guess i only ever played on normal so i never noticed

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Confirmed. Saved and loaded about 6 times before speaking to New Larry. Also tried doing it with them in my party, which did nothing. Only seems to affect present NPCs who aren't in your party I would say.

e: on VH.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 8, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I recall reading something about this on one of the game's Steam discussion page, although I can't find it now. I think the basic consensus was "yeah, it sucks but it's a thing", which isn't helpful at all in this case, but it's apparently something known.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
If you just want the narrative done, I would say play on normal to avoid the bug and being able to show off the story.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Well...

The game was never designed for standard saving and loading.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

mauman posted:

Well...

Wasn't saving/loading anywhere something they added in much later, and on release it was saved only on the beginning of a mission? I forget, but I swear there was some grumbling on that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RedMagus posted:

Wasn't saving/loading anywhere something they added in much later, and on release it was saved only on the beginning of a mission? I forget, but I swear there was some grumbling on that.
Deadman's Switch is to Dragonfall is as Fallout 3 is to New Vegas.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
A vote to switch to normal to let us see the end of the game.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

mauman posted:

Well...

Really? Why?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

TildeATH posted:

Really? Why?

As RedMagus stated, the game wasn't designed/built with non-autosaves in mind.

It was added WAY later (after a lot of complaining) and I'm frankly not surprised it caused issues.

Personally, I was ok with the lack of saving since it forced you to accept non-perfect wins and prevented save-scumming.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 9, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Just play on Normal imho.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I'm not surprised that such a bug still exists at this stage in the game. There is an extremely serious, game-breaking one in Dragonfall at the end of a late-game mandatory story mission which causes the game to freeze about 90% of the time. They know about it. It's never getting patched, either. Another fun bug was in Hong Kong, where any weapon you equip in a companion's slot would vanish without a trace after that mission was over. That one was fortunately fixed with the extended edition - Too late to salvage my playthrough at the time, though.

Harebrained schemes do make good games, but they are not good about fixing them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
No need to cast any votes, we'll do the rest on Normal as it's not like this is some video LP of an action game where the difficulty plays a big role anyway. This has delayed things a little bit, but we should get back on track soon enough.

But hey, if you do feel like making a difference when it comes to the real important issues, new drone names are accepted for as long as we get new drones. I'll just add them to the pool and pull one out at random when necessary.

Here's the current pool:

Drone
FYAD
GBS 3.0
Jade Rabbit
Prime

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Drone
FYAD
GBS 3.0
Jade Rabbit
Prime
Tom Servo

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Drone
FYAD
GBS 3.0
Jade Rabbit
Prime

Nines
Jackass
Pascal
Romeos

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Enord

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tobor

Goddamit.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Wish Fulfillment Center.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mauman posted:

Personally, I was ok with the lack of saving since it forced you to accept non-perfect wins and prevented save-scumming.
I've never understood this perspective. If you don't want to save-scum, just don't. I don't save-scum, but I do appreciate being able to just stop playing at any time without losing any progress. Why do you need the game to force you to do something that you want to do anyway?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood this perspective. If you don't want to save-scum, just don't. I don't save-scum, but I do appreciate being able to just stop playing at any time without losing any progress. Why do you need the game to force you to do something that you want to do anyway?

I can understand the general sentiment as some people just really dislike having to purposefully hold themselves back from using "unfair" advantages in games, but I don't think these games are necessarily ones where a system that limits your saving really works that well.

Some games like Alien: Isolation and Dark Souls benefit from it as the risk of losing progress definitely makes it feel like the stakes are higher and your decisions have more weight to them, though I think all such games should at least have the latter's system where quitting out of the game still lets you continue from where you left off once you come back.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Because I'll save scum like a scrub if given the option.

This forces me to up my game.

And yes, I have weak willpower thank you very much.

Don't get me wrong though, I have no problem with the fact that this game has a save/load feature to it (besides the fact that it's buggy as hell). I just don't really have a problem when it doesn't have one either.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Drone name: GIR

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Crooooooowww

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A couple more for the pool.

Worker
Bee
Roomba

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

ED-209, you have 20 seconds to comply naming a drone after him.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kanfy posted:

No need to cast any votes, we'll do the rest on Normal as it's not like this is some video LP of an action game where the difficulty plays a big role anyway. This has delayed things a little bit, but we should get back on track soon enough.

But hey, if you do feel like making a difference when it comes to the real important issues, new drone names are accepted for as long as we get new drones. I'll just add them to the pool and pull one out at random when necessary.

Here's the current pool:

Drone
FYAD
GBS 3.0
Jade Rabbit
Prime

You should name a drone after a noted drone lover
W.
Rumsfeld
Obama
Trump

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

ButHerEmails

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

This is a politics-free LP, no reason to deal with more than one dark dystopic future at a time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tom Servo is perfect

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I wonder how long it will take for our reality to have a Shadowrun-like Matrix. And hopefully no similar Crash..

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kanfy posted:

This is a politics-free LP, no reason to deal with more than one dark dystopic future at a time.
Compared to real life future Shadowrun has:

+Magic
+No global warming
+Dwarves, trolls and other cool races
+Affordable cybernetics, the most basic 20/20 cybereyes costs as much as an iphone and can be done in an afternoon

-Magical monsters like hellhounds and ghouls

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Poil posted:

+Magic
+No global warming
+Affordable cybernetics, the most basic 20/20 cybereyes costs as much as an iphone and can be done in an afternoon

Don't forget NERPS!

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Poil posted:

+Magic
+No global warming

Several nuclear stations did go boom and I think the North Sea was toxic with black sludge.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Poil posted:

+Magic
+No global warming

-Well okay there is global warming, but it's being opposed by Literal Armies, bankrolled by Literal Dragons
-The American Supreme Court ruled "you know what gently caress it, we give up, corporations are bigger than nations now" back right about now
-Predictable effects on human rights followed
-Kristallnacht Times The Whole Goddamn World Happened That One Time
-Wal-Mart is powered by blood sacrifice that may or may not be tearing the walls of reality open to They Know Not What in the name of increased quarterly profits

+the food they sell is really good though

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Poil posted:

+Magic
+No global warming

Ghouls are just tryin' to live bro, don't hate on the Infected.

God I'd kill to get into a decent Shadowrun game T_T I purchased the core books and a few splats for 4th Ed about a year before 5th hit and never got to use them for anything.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

+Magic
+No global warming

-The shocks caused by magic returning to the world caused massive natural disasters such as earthquakes, killing tons of people.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Shoeless posted:

-The shocks caused by magic returning to the world caused massive natural disasters such as earthquakes, killing tons of people.

-Not to mention the dragon attacks.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shoeless posted:

The largest among them was passed off as a natural disaster mostly because the real story would scare people, and the REAL real story would embarrass a lot more powerful people.

This will only get very obliquely referenced in the game proper, but part of the reason the US has been split into a bunch of sub-nations is history's greatest scam. Very long story short, magic's only just come back in a big way, a Native American guy with some terror/magic connections calls up the president, and says "Howdy! You want to give my people back their land?" and is of course told 1. how did you get access to this channel 2. lol gently caress off.

"Your funeral."

Five minutes later every single volcano in the continental united states goes off, every tectonic plate does a little dance, and the San Andreas Fault shrugs half of LA right into the ocean. He gives it half an hour, long enough for the sheer scope of the devastation to become only initially apparent.

"Soooo, want to give my people back their land, or you want another one?"

Next week, most of the western united states has been ceded to the suddenly-instantly-formed Native American Nations, Tentative Supreme Leader That Guy.

Oh, PS, in order to do that he needed to get a solid third of his not-particularly-numerous people to commit ritual suicide in a particularly nasty ritual, and could not have even hypothetically have done it again for another year at minimum. By the time what was left of the US government had a way to figure that one out, they'd lost any meaningful ability to retaliate, and they'd told their people "look guys magic is a thing and these people seem to know how it works, we'd rather have wizards as friendly neighbors than an insurgency."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's a lot of other backstory there, like how the president in question was basically ethnic cleansing Native American populations. The people who would become the NAN did their thing at a time where they could call up Force 6 and higher spirits (a big loving deal) and nobody else could. They could easily have sent incorporeal assassins at every major corporate and government figure.

• Locked thread