Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

(You should listen to the main theme above, it's pretty good)

What's this all about?

Shadowrun Returns is a 2013 RPG based on one of the more well-known tabletop RPG settings originating from 1989, Shadowrun. It was developed and published by Harebrained Schemes, a company founded by Jordan Weisman who is one of the original designers of Shadowrun, following a successful Kickstarter.

It's not the first Shadowrun video game released - even many people not otherwise familiar with the setting remember the 1993 SNES game simply called Shadowrun or the 1994 Sega Genesis game simply called Shadowrun which were joined by the less famous 1996 Japan-only Mega-CD game simply called Shadowrun. And yes, these are all completely different games. There were also a couple of fairly unremarkable games carrying the Shadowrun title released in 2007 (called, you guessed it, Shadowrun) and 2015 (called Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown), but their existence is usually ignored and we will do the same in part because the former is barely connected to the setting and the latter takes place long after this game.

The SNES and Genesis games have their own LP's in the archives, the former by Danaru and the latter by Turtlicious. Check them out if you haven't!

Shadowrun Returns itself was followed by two more titles from the same design team using the same gameplay systems, Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut (originally released as an expansion to Returns and simply titled Dragonfall) and Shadowrun: Hong Kong. These two are largely considered the pinnacle of Shadowrun video games, and Dragonfall in particular enjoys the reputation of a modern classic.

So what's the setting all about?

The real short version is that Shadowrun takes place in our world's alternate cyberpunk future where magic became real in 2012 and with it came all kinds of previously slumbering otherworldly creatures, such as dragons, with the classic fantasy races such as elves and orks mutating from previously ordinary humans. Animals mutated as well, with results you can probably guess.

Most countries as we know them have ceased to exist or at the very least have changed dramatically, and the world is ruled by the immensely powerful dragons (though more in the "holding all the strings behind the scenes" -kind of way than in the "burn down cities" -kind of way) and gigantic megacorporations. Corruption, drugs, violence, crime and cyberimplants are commonplace. Overall life tends to be pretty lovely in most places unless you're rich. Basically the classic fantasy staples mixed with classic dystopian cyberpunk stuff that each and every day feels a little bit more real.

There's still much more to the setting of course, but it'll be easier to cover it as it comes up instead of having it all here in an enormous wall of text. Also I'm by no means a Shadowrun expert and will no doubt miss something here and there, so all corrections and additions are welcome as long as they don't contain spoilers. See the spoiler policy below.

So where does this particular game fit in?

As I mentioned earlier, this game's two follow-ups are both considered quite good, excellent even. Shadowrun Returns itself on the other hand tends to get a more mixed reception for various reasons that we'll get to when they become relevant. In many ways it feels like a prototype for its successors, and it had some particularly rough edges at the time of its release such as the complete lack of manual saves (!) which didn't help its case. Some particularly hard-to-deal-with bugs were also a fairly common complaint.

All that being said, I personally think the game's semi-negative reputation is maybe a little undeserved, though also understandable especially now when you have Dragonfall and Hong Kong to compare it to. Still, it's a fun and relatively short romp in one of the cooler fantasy settings around.

The game's main campaign itself, which goes by the name The Dead Man's Switch, takes place in the year 2054 and the location is the city of Seattle, the most common "default" setting in Shadowrun which is also where the SNES and Genesis games took place (the SNES game in 2050 and the Genesis one in 2058). Outside of some references and perhaps a familiar face or two, Returns' plot isn't connected to the two and prior knowledge of them isn't necessary. Also unlike the previous protagonists Jake and Joshua, the main character in Returns is a blank slate completely created by the player.

Spoiler policy

- No spoilers, preferably not even in tags unless it's something particularly inconsequential (e.g., related to game mechanics). If something hasn't happened yet, don't talk about it or even allude to it. And don't be the guy who has seen the movie and constantly keeps talking about how the good bits are coming up, nobody likes that guy.

- If you haven't played the game but are otherwise familiar with the setting, be especially careful. This LP assumes the viewer is not intimately familiar with Shadowrun, so even if Banana Jackson actually being a killer android is common knowledge to those who follow the setting, don't bring it up here unless it has already come up in the LP as it might turn out to be relevant to the plot.

- Related to the above, remember that the game doesn't take place in the most up-to-date version of the tabletop game, so if you're not 100% sure if something has happened by the time this game takes place, assume it hasn't.

- Otherwise discussion is encouraged so don't be afraid to :justpost: or ask questions, and for example talking about the older Shadowrun games or what have you is totally fine.

Updates

Part 01 - The Dead Man's Call
Part 02 - Create-a-Criminal
Part 03 - Blood in the Water
Part 04 - The Chop Shop Stop
Part 05 - Auspicious Beginnings HD Remastered
Part 06 - CSI: Seattle
Part 07 - Getting Unionized
Part 08 - A Night at the Market
Part 09 - Ten Ways to Move Up in the World
Part 10 - Painting the Penthouse

Part 11 - Meeting the Locals
Part 12 - Meeting the Locals Continued
Part 13 - Paranormal Activity
Part 14 - Crusader Queens
Part 15 - Watts on My Mind
Part 16 - Warehouse Warfare
Part 17 - Re-Enter the Matrix
Part 18 - Madness and Mercy
Part 19 - Puppets and Puppeteers
Part 20 - The Calm Between the Storms

Part 21 - The Graveyard Shift
Part 22 - Welcome to the Hood
Part 23 - A Look Under the Hood
Part 24 - Dawn of the Metal Age
Part 25 - A Tale of Drones
Part 26 - Corporate Raiders
Part 27 - Corporate Raiders Continued
Part 28 - Duty Above All
Part 29 - Friends in High Places
Part 30 - Final Preparations

Part 31 - The Spirits Within
Part 32 - The Finale
Part 33 - The Aftermath

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Reserved just in case

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 01 - The Dead Man's Call

For the sake of getting things moving, we're going to leave the character creation to the next post. For this initial bit our hero will be the mysterious bald Street Samurai known only by his nickname, "L-P".

oh poo poo wait that's not the right game goddamnit sorry im new to this

Here we go. As the game has fairly simple graphics and no cutscenes, it tends to paint its pictures using text descriptions with loading screens such as this serving as summaries. It's just like the old days! In-game descriptive text will usually be in [square brackets].

Also a couple of notes here right off the bat - As tends to be the case in Shadowrun, our protagonist is a Shadowrunner, one of many freelance operatives that get contacted and paid to do all kinds of shady jobs for corporations and other entities who don't want to get involved directly. Nobody really likes them, but everybody in power needs them. Fixers are people who act as intermediaries between Shadowrunners and their potential employers.

"SIN" is short for System Identification Number and is basically all of one's personal information, history, legal papers etc. in one convenient and easily trackable package. Not having one basically makes you an outlaw, a "SINless", someone with no legal rights. This obviously makes life in society somewhat tricky, but being outside the system also means that one isn't subject to its constant surveillance.

Nuyen (New yen, get it?) is the currency. Anime won as we all knew it eventually would and Japan became kind of a big deal in the Shadowrun continuity. As a result, theirs is the primary monetary unit of international trade which is used practically everywhere. You'll also notice some Japanese words amongst the dialogue here and there.

Finally, best get used to the fragging slang as you'll be seeing a drekload of it, chummer.

Too real, game, too real. Sorry about the small text, I do a better job with cropping in the later updates.

To start things off, there are a few things we can take a look at in our hero's crummy yet surprisingly spacious apartment.

Who keeps a broken computer on their desk for 3 whole years? Maybe we're not getting paid because we're the laziest Shadowrunner in the business.

There's also a notebook with a list of contacts and a calendar on the table. Let's take a look at the list first.

[The list goes on. All either dead ends or just plain dead.]

Great. As for the calendar...

Fantastic. Never has a life of crime felt so thrilling.

But just then, we get a call!

New objectives and other similar messages such as picked up items appear in the top-left corner.

We walk over to the vidphone (in case it wasn't yet clear, this isn't a world of smartphones) and pick it up.

Dialogue is a big part of the game, and the words you choose can sometimes make a major impact when it comes to resolving things. I'll mention any noteworthy choices that I'm aware of, but otherwise I'll just be picking whatever sounds the most natural or entertaining. Oh, and I'll switch to italics for my own commentary whenever dialogue is happening to avoid confusion.

Anyway, Sam Watts was one of the runners mentioned on the contacts list.

Where've you been, Sam? I haven't heard from you in months.

Oh, okay.

No wait hold on, what was that?

When you're an unsavory character like myself, you tend to associate with other unsavory characters who often partake in unsavory business... like you, for example. So why am I dead? Who knows. Probably my fault.

I wonder where you are right now. I bet you hit a big payday and you're living high on the hog somewhere. Some of us are born winners and some of us are... me.

Hey, you remember that Renraku run when things went to hell and we lost Dowd? Or that makeshift saloon on the docks afterward? I really had your back that night, didn't I?

In a world where megacorps dominate practically all aspects of life, Renraku is amongst the biggest. They're based in Japan and specialize in computer technology.

[Dowd. That's a name you haven't heard in a long time...]

Flashback!

Ah, the middle of some rainy docks with no roof or walls, just the place to go for a drink after a hard day. Or did they put up this makeshift bar complete with shelves, bar stools and even a lit-up sign while waiting? In that case these people were in the wrong business.

A couple of new faces here, let's talk to the orc ork lady first.

Nice shamanic tattoos. You know you're playing Shadowrun when something like "urban shaman" is a completely ordinary combination of words. Also, at the time of this game, Fuchi is another dominant Japanese megacorp who specialize in computer research and particularly Matrix (cyberspace) tech. Fuchi eventually got dissolved, in this case figuratively which is not a given, for reasons unrelated to this story.

Ready to bolt?

Neg - not yet. Let's give the Fixer another five minutes.

Before we chat with the other fellow, we look around the docks a bit. It's a fairly large area with not much to see, but we do find a Basic Medkit lying around in one of the crates. Lootable stuff is marked by a small pick-up icon, as opposed to the magnifying glass which indicates things you look at.

This is as good a time as any to take a look at our inventory screen. We could also view our equipped cyberware here, had we any installed.

Medkits are your basic healing item and unlike magical healing, they always heal for a flat amount. Putting points into Biotech increases their effectiveness.

We're also holding a good ol'-fashioned frag grenade which does exactly what you'd expect, as well as a Trauma Kit which can bring back a downed character in battle, although with a short delay. Characters can die for good if not brought back in time.

Last but not least we have the classic leather jacket, and we're packing some decent firepower in the form of both a pistol and a shotgun. Pistols are a little lacking in stopping power but come with the largest variety of skills, whereas shotguns are close-combat destroyers which need to be reloaded often and are inaccurate at longer ranges but can also hit multiple characters (including friendlies) if fired from far enough.

But enough wasting time, our other friend's looking a little antsy so let's go see what's up.

Unlike with Sangoma, the paint on this guy is just kinda lame. Incidentally, both of them were listed as "dead" in the contacts list from earlier. Guess tattoos alone don't protect against bullets.

[He shakes his head.] I hate this fragging city, L-P! It's wet and the rain feels like acid and I want out of here.

Seems like in his case the personality matches the tattoo quality.

Shut your screamer about the rain. We lost a man tonight.

So ka, sorry... I'm just really ready to go home. Portland's way more my speed.

TL note: So(u) ka is Japanese and means roughly "Is that so", but here it tends to be used as an equivalent of "I understand".

I don't know, L-P.

[Sam is a good guy and can hold his own in a fight but he's been hitting the bottle pretty good lately. Never on a run - so far - but he needs watching.]

[He shakes his head.] That run went sideways nine ways to Sunday. Now the Fixer is late.

What do you think we should do?

I dunno. I'm not the brains of this operation but I'm thinking we slot and run. The money's just not worth... what happened to Dowd.

Cut the drek, Sam. We both know why Dowd went down and it wasn't the Fixer or some other paranoid chip-dream of yours.

[Sam smiles a toothy smile.] I've been waiting for this all night. New Larry has something he wants to say, dont'cha Larry? Go ahead, spill it.

Uh oh, internal tension.

You were sloppy.

[He laughs.] Sloppy? You think *I* was sloppy? You've been twitchy all day, son. Look at your hands - they're shaking.

You been drinking, Sam?

On a run? No. Not a drop. Not today, not ever.

Oh boy.

Also note Sam's healthier-looking complexion here compared to his portrait from earlier (later?). A nice little touch.

[New Larry checks his watch. Licks his lips. Looks over your shoulder at the darkness. He's looking for someone and it's not the Fixer.]

Okay, I can see where this is going. You chummers are damaged. I'm out.

How much did they pay you to sell us out, Larry?

[He stops and a smile slowly appears on his face.] Honestly? It didn't take much. Just enough to get me back to Portland and set up with a cush corp job. I'm out of this racket.

Five minutes in and we've already experienced our first betrayal, firmly establishing the recurring pattern of people in Shadowrun being a bunch of assholes.

[New Larry relaxes and throws you a drek-eating grin.]

Looks like my new Renraku friends are finally here. They're gonna take that hard drive off your corpse... buddy.

We should choose our friends more carefully, L-P.

Buy you a drink after this?

Next time: Lots of people get shot, but only one gets sent to the morgue.

But first, let's make a proper character.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 10, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 02 - Create-a-Criminal

Now before we go any further, there's a couple of things to take care of. I didn't want to scare anyone away by opening with this as there is going to be a bunch of :words: about game mechanics here and not everyone cares about this stuff or they might already know all about it. That said, if you're not familiar with Shadowrun at all, it won't do any harm to be aware of the basics as these same rules govern all the characters we'll meet. Almost.

First off is the difficulty setting. We'll playing on Very Hard because I'm just that badass the game doesn't put up much of a fight at all on Normal and by all accounts Very Hard simply means you're on an even playfield with the AI instead of getting invisible advantages. Plus the ability to save manually was patched in with Dragonfall, so nowadays I don't need to restart the whole mission if things go south. E: It later turned out that both Hard and Very Hard have a major bug associated with them, so most of the LP will be on Normal after all.

After this comes the character creation. First is a choice between male or female, but this has no gameplay impact. Next up are the races:

If you've played any classic fantasy game, there are no real surprises here. Humans are probably the "best" choice as they get the most stat ups outside of trolls and going past 9 in a stat is both expensive and pretty unnecessary, but it's a very minor advantage.

For the same reason trolls are the most limited in their usefulness despite their absurd physical caps - Having 17 points in Body, which primarily governs your hit points, would require investing roughly 75% of all Karma points (used for both stats and skills) earned throughout the entire game on that stat alone. Sure, you could probably disarm a nuclear bomb with your face and survive, but old age would be a bigger threat than you in combat.

After that we have the "classes", although in practice they only serve as preset skill builds for those who don't want to deal with building a character from scratch. In other words, choosing one will simply allocate most of your Karma for you (poorly), so not picking one is the smartest choice if you know your way around. Still, nearly all characters will fall under one or two of these archetypes so it's good to know what they're about.

One catch here is that your loadout in the game's first battle is decided entirely by your class choice, for example a Mage will have a few spells. All custom characters get the same one consisting of a couple of firearms however, meaning a custom spellcaster will be practically useless in the fight due to not having a single spell. :geno:

They couldn't quite figure out how to pluralize "shaman". Or how to spell "raccoon".

I'm just going to cut to the chase here, we'll be playing a Decker in order to get the most out of the game. Only the main character can attempt the various Decking skill checks you'll come across in the game, even if one of your party members is a Decker. Yeah, it's dumb, and also fixed in the later installments which usually allow you to ask your crew member to do the hacking for you. Accessing the Matrix, the main job of the class, can be done by any Decker even here so it's still not the end of the world even if you don't play one.

The upside here is the fact that the Decker is the most important party member, something that remains true in all three games. Very nearly every mission from here to Hong Kong has something only a Decker can accomplish, so if you're not one yourself then you're going to have to bring one with you or accept that you'll miss out on things. This way we can pick whoever we feel like and still do nearly everything possible.

Whether you picked one of the above or not, next up will be the Karma allocation screen. This isn't a guide so I'm not going to go through every single stat and skill, but I'll quickly cover the basics. There are 6 different stats (Body, Quickness, Strength, Intelligence, Willpower and Charisma) and all skills are divided under them. You can't increase a skill past its governing stat, meaning you can't increase your Dodge to 4 unless you increase your Quickness to 4 first.

Here are the skills we're looking at, most of them are pretty self-explanatory:

Some skills also govern other skills, for example you can't increase your Melee Weapons to 4 unless you first increase your Close Combat to 4 which in turn first requires increasing your Strength to 4. Like so:

As you can perhaps tell, skills also come with special abilities or beneficial passives every now and then. 8 points in Melee Weapons allows you to disarm enemies, 3 points in Rifles allows you to shoot an inaccurate but powerful burst in full auto, 2 points in Biotech allows you to see enemy HP and so on.

Also, increasing a stat or a skill requires Karma equivalent to the level you're increasing the stat or skill to. Meaning, increasing your Strength from 2 to 3 costs 3 Karma, whereas going from 7 to 8 costs 8 Karma. You start with 34, or 37 as a human. This is why going past 9 or so in a stat (or especially a skill as it'd require increasing the stat to the equivalent level first) is unlikely unless you're specializing to an extreme degree, and why the troll Strength/Body stat caps are largely irrelevant whereas their low Intelligence/Charisma caps are quite limiting.

And then finally, the most important part - Our incredibly cool/lame streetname.

:siren: End of character mechanics :siren:

Now, I already made the call that we were going to be a Decker, and I'm going to add a couple more limitations to that: We won't make spellcasting our primary fighting style as it conflicts with cyberware which Deckers come with by default, and we won't be a melee character because the thin stat spread means we'll be real weak in combat for quite a while. Plus plain melee and nothing else is a bit boring anyway.

Beyond that I'm not super picky. Trolls are a terrible choice for a Decker, their Strength bonus is wasted and their Intelligence cap is so low that they literally can't equip the top-tier deck (which is what governs a Decker's power in the Matrix), but I also can't claim the game's unbeatable with a troll Decker or anything.

So I'll leave the rest up to you, thread. What shape will our hero take? Pick one for each category!

1. Our sex: Male or Female
2. Our race: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Ork or Troll
3. Our primary murdering method: Pistols, Submachine Guns, Shotguns, Rifles or the ever-trendy Drones. Some of these are better than others, but they'll all do the job so just pick whatever seems coolest.
4. Our streetname: 2-12 characters. If you're like me and coming up with names is the single hardest part in an RPG, you can just skip this one if you want.

We'll pick the most popular choice in each category and from them, we'll mold some unholy Frankenstein's cybermonster. Flip a coin in case of ties. If only one guy shows up to vote then they wield all the power, hail democracy. If nobody at all shows up then this whole thing'll look real pathetic so please participate out of pity if nothing else.

And if you don't care, at least quote someone else's answer and go "Yeah I'm fine with this" instead of not posting at all. Yeah, I know your type, you lazy bum. :colbert:

Barring any unexpected events we'll give it some 20 hours, give or take a few. Voting is done.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 8, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Ground floor! I'm not sure what it says about me that I've only played the game on Normal so far.

Anyway, my vote for our runner is the following:

- She is female.
- She is an Elf.
- She fights with Drones (everything else is just so inefficient with regards to Karma use).
- Her street name, because I am creatively bankrupt and take inspiration from the closest thing possible at the time of character creation, is Dragon Lady. Always cut a deal with Dragon Lady!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TheMcD posted:

- She is female.
- She is an Elf.
- She fights with Drones (everything else is just so inefficient with regards to Karma use).
- Her street name, because I am creatively bankrupt and take inspiration from the closest thing possible at the time of character creation, is Dragon Lady. Always cut a deal with Dragon Lady!

I wanted an Adept because I've always fone Decker or Mage, but this will work because Drones are fun.

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I know your type, you lazy bum. :colbert:
No Adept, no effort. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Adepts are cool, but way more fun in pen and paper. There's a power that lets you run on walls and another that lets you change your skin and hair color at will. Not in this game though. Must be lazy developers. :v:

Because I am even less creative:
1. male
2. Troll
3. Rifles
4. Trollface

Nobody expects the troll of being the smart one who cracked the computer (unless it was done literary).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

No Adept, no effort. :colbert:

I don't actually have any idea how good they are in base Returns as I've never tried one. I know you can make a real strong one in the later games what with the omnipresent cover and everything, but cover and the whole damage system are different here.

But I understand the sentiment, and if we could hack terminals with magic punches then this wouldn't have even been a vote.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I vote for:
1. Male
2. Human
3. Rifles
4. Frosty

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

TheMcD posted:

- She is female.
- She is an Elf.

This, but call her Cat, and you've got my stand-by PnP character.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
If you're going to be a Decker then you've got the Intelligence to make Drones your thing. You could be human but that's boring, so might as well be an elf lady. And if she's going big on computers and drones while operating out of Seattle then you might as well call her Amazon.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Glad to see this finally getting and lp! Dragonfall was one of my favorite games and the mobile port is probably my favorite thing to play on my iPad.

Just so you know all know, though, Riggers are interesting but they're kind of easy mode. Between your two drones you end up with a ridiculous amount of actions per turn. Decker/riggers are also good because you can make a combat monster that also takes care of all your decking needs, freeing up an extra slot on your roster. This is not so bad on Very Hard however.

But anyway I say

Sylphosaurus posted:

I vote for:
1. Male
2. Human
3. Rifles
4. Frosty

But add some conjuration/magic for heals, aim boosts, haste, air barrier, and good ol-fashioned summon shenanigans.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

LightWarden posted:

If you're going to be a Decker then you've got the Intelligence to make Drones your thing. You could be human but that's boring, so might as well be an elf lady. And if she's going big on computers and drones while operating out of Seattle then you might as well call her Amazon.

This gets my vote.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TheMcD posted:

- She is female.
- She is an Elf.

I am on board with this setup.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
1. Our sex: Female (Because boobs)
2. Our race: Human (Annoying how -none- of the races go past 9 Intelligence, but what can ya do, may as well go Master of None to fill in inevitable gaps)
3. Our primary murdering method: Pistols (Because pistols are always reliable. ALWAYS.)
4. Our streetname: Amazon (Because I like Amazons :v:)

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
I don't care what sort of character is made, I am just stoked to see someone playing this. I love Shadowrun and I played the hell out of the series. Hong Kong added a ton of stuff that is great, and I can't wait for the Battletech game from the same team.

That said, this game does have some really rough spots that do make it hard to go back to after Hong Kong. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I was a little surprised to see nobody had done an LP of any of these games myself. I've always thought they'd fit this format really well and one'd probably be interesting to follow even if you didn't know anything about Shadowrun, assuming the terms and such got explained. But that's not a promise that this one won't end up as a complete trainwreck. :v:

I guess they do get a little dialogue-heavy, especially in Dragonfall and Hong Kong, which is not something everyone has patience for.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Male
Dwarf
Fights with Submachine Guns
Street name is Norbert
Uses this portrait:

Not that I'm biased or anything :frog:also the shadowrun snes LP is an old shame please play the game for yourself it's good

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

This game looks interesting.

1. Female
2. Ork
3. Rifles
4. Argilla

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Danaru posted:

Male
Dwarf
Street name is Norbert
Uses this portrait:

For old time's sake

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

Male
Dwarf
Street name is Norbert
Uses this portrait:

Not that I'm biased or anything :frog:also the shadowrun snes LP is an old shame please play the game for yourself it's good

Lies, your LP is great and I'm extremely envious of how good you are with writing dialogue for complete non-characters, I don't have talent for it at all. But that's why I'm LPing this instead since it does dialogue for me! Well, except when it doesn't. Stupid Returns and it's lack of a proper crew...

Consequently I'm afraid this game's dialogue choices will be all too sane to do Norbert proper justice, unless you pretend he's taking heavy doses of elephant tranquilizers the whole time.

cardinale posted:

This game looks interesting.

1. Female
2. Ork
3. Rifles
4. Argilla

It is, and I'm glad there's at least one person around who hasn't played it before. We need more fresh blood amongst all these scarred veterans.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kanfy posted:

I don't actually have any idea how good they are in base Returns as I've never tried one. I know you can make a real strong one in the later games what with the omnipresent cover and everything, but cover and the whole damage system are different here.

But I understand the sentiment, and if we could hack terminals with magic punches then this wouldn't have even been a vote.

Live your dreams!
male
troll
drones
Punch Hack

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

LightWarden posted:

This is awesomely perfect.

Kanfy posted:

I was a little surprised to see nobody had done an LP of any of these games myself. I've always thought they'd fit this format really well and one'd probably be interesting to follow even if you didn't know anything about Shadowrun, assuming the terms and such got explained. But that's not a promise that this one won't end up as a complete trainwreck. :v:
The nice thing about the Shadowrun Returns series is that the games are quite good at telling you enough to get by. It's a bit more fun if you do know some of the Shadowrun world history and the like, but you legitimately don't need to know jack poo poo about the world to enjoy the games.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Let's be a female dwarf who shotguns people hard in the face whenever she's not downing so many pints they call her Boozehound

White Coke
May 29, 2015
This LP is a pleasant surprise. I have these games but I didn't get into them after an attempt at this one, so I'm looking forward to learning more about how to play the game through the thread

1. Female
2. Elf
3.Drones
4.L. P. Superstar

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Let's see:

1. Male, just to buck the trend
2. Elf, because charisma and quickness are the most important
3. Drones, because you're going into intelligence anyway
4. Amazon, because LightWarden has a good point and female is going to win anyway.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
1. Female
2. Dwarf, because elves are lame.
3. Drones
4. Gonna go with Amazon, too.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LightWarden posted:

This!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Elf Lady with Drones.

Screw it, I'll jump on the Amazon bandwagon as well.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I played through Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall with the same build: a female human who was great with pistols named Wintermute.

(I got smart and stopped using revolvers in Dragonfall.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kanfy posted:

shotguns are close-combat destroyers which need to be reloaded often and are inaccurate at longer ranges but can also hit multiple characters (including friendlies) if fired from far enough.
Having played all three games, shotguns supposed shortcomings never seemed to matter, and the ability to hit adjacent enemies at range is fantastic.

Kanfy posted:

The upside here is the fact that the Decker is the most important party member, something that remains true in all three games. Very nearly every mission from here to Hong Kong has something only a Decker can accomplish, so if you're not one yourself then you're going to have to bring one with you or accept that you'll miss out on things. This way we can pick whoever we feel like and still do nearly everything possible.
I loving hate the matrix in these games. I haven't played the tabletop game so I've no idea how it's handled there, but in this series it's just tedious and annoying. So I deliberately avoid having or using deckers whenever possible.

Kanfy posted:

1. Our sex: Male or Female
2. Our race: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Ork or Troll
3. Our primary murdering method: Pistols, Submachine Guns, Shotguns, Rifles or the ever-trendy Drones. Some of these are better than others, but they'll all do the job so just pick whatever seems coolest.
4. Our streetname: 2-12 characters. If you're like me and coming up with names is the single hardest part in an RPG, you can just skip this one if you want.
  1. Female
  2. Dwarf
  3. Shotguns
  4. Kanfy

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snorb posted:

I played through Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall with the same build: a female human who was great with pistols named Wintermute.

(I got smart and stopped using revolvers in Dragonfall.)

But revolvers are badass in Dragonfall.

The Super Warhawk might not be able to pull the chain shots, but it's still pretty good.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Elf as we get charisma bonus, which means we can pick specialties in knowledge/contacts which open up chunks of the story and get us more payout.
Female as going with the crowd.
Drones as they're nasty in combat, give us extra firepower, and are also Int based which is nice for what we run with.
Mara Jaded for name.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

1. Male
2. Orc
3. Rifles / Pistol / Shotguns (Guns!)
4. Old Glory or something else (Glory being a character in Dragonfall), like Independence or I dunno.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 25, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

This is awesomely perfect.

The nice thing about the Shadowrun Returns series is that the games are quite good at telling you enough to get by. It's a bit more fun if you do know some of the Shadowrun world history and the like, but you legitimately don't need to know jack poo poo about the world to enjoy the games.

This is true, there's also an in-game glossary that gives a brief explanation for a bunch of terms.

The swear word avoidance gets a little silly sometimes.

The drone-using female elven Amazon brigade is looking real strong right now. It's not set in stone yet but if that's how things'll end up going, here's the portrait I was thinking of going with.

She clearly suffered a drone malfunction and now understands the importance of safety goggles.

That said if people are extremely uncool with this then we can certainly put it up for vote as well, I'd just like to get things set up properly sooner rather than later is all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kanfy posted:

The drone-using female elven Amazon brigade is looking real strong right now. It's not set in stone yet but if that's how things'll end up going, here's the portrait I was thinking of going with.

She clearly suffered a drone malfunction and now understands the importance of safety goggles.

Are you kidding me? Please don't steal the exact character I use. :mad:

(Seriously though, a female elf decker isn't that odd, but the exact portrait?)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Well, sort-of understands. I mean she is wearing them, but...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Are you kidding me? Please don't steal the exact character I use. :mad:

(Seriously though, a female elf decker isn't that odd, but the exact portrait?)

Yeah well I don't see a copyright anywhere, chummer. :colbert:

The coolest one if you ask me is one of the Street Samurai ones, but the visible hilt on her back doesn't really work here.

But like I said people can still, at least in theory, get something else in. Here's where we're at by my count:

Female: 17
Male: 8

Elf: 12
Dwarf: 5
Human: 4
Ork, Troll: 2

Drones: 14
Rifles: 5
Pistols, Shotguns, Submachine Guns: 2

Amazon: 8
Dragon Lady: 3
Frosty, Norbert: 2
Argilla, Boozehound, Cat, Kanfy, L.P. Superstar, Mara Jaded, Old Glory (or "like Independence I dunno"), Punch Hack, Trollface, Wintermute: 1

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

She could just have a samurai sword that she's really goony about but doesn't actually use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Gonna suggest she be named Draig, since 'Dragon Lady' is a bit silly for a handle.

• Locked thread