Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HERAK posted:

In the theatre we still use hemp lines for hauling and some rigging, but the hemp splinters you can get from the larger lines are terrible.

Sounds like you need to hire an oakum picker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I always thought this was Steve Harvey but it's actually Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HERAK posted:

In the theatre we still use hemp lines for hauling and some rigging, but the hemp splinters you can get from the larger lines are terrible.

Wait, I thought hemp was a miracle substance being kept down by Big Textiles. Once cannabis is legalized everything can be made of hemp again, and then everything would be wonderful forever. But now this thread is making me think that maybe . . . hemp bad?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Its good as a tow line because it's not elastic and when it breaks it doesn't recoil. It does, however, break an awful lot.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wait, I thought hemp was a miracle substance being kept down by Big Textiles. Once cannabis is legalized everything can be made of hemp again, and then everything would be wonderful forever. But now this thread is making me think that maybe . . . hemp bad?

It's a good fiber that is very cheap and quite strong for its weight. It's completely obsolete for strength and durability in a post petro (post polymer) world, however it can replace cotton in a lot of textiles and is frequently much better in those usages. It can also replace wood pulp in paper and is much better for that than wood pulp ever was.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EoRaptor posted:

It's a good fiber that is very cheap and quite strong for its weight. It's completely obsolete for strength and durability in a post petro (post polymer) world, however it can replace cotton in a lot of textiles and is frequently much better in those usages. It can also replace wood pulp in paper and is much better for that than wood pulp ever was.

Lies. Hemp is good at everything.

:2bong:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It worked, therefore it must have been according to regulations!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Now let's see them get it back out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Now let's see them get it back out.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Brazil?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How did it even get onto that narrow pier and turned?!

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Synthbuttrange posted:

They drove it there from the other side on some other boat obviously.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Like this but with no walls

edit: vvvv Great minds think alike :respek:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 9, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^goddammit

Synthbuttrange posted:

Very carefully

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

RatHat posted:

I always thought this was Steve Harvey but it's actually Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Steve Harvey's bald, you buffoon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rough Lobster posted:

Steve Harvey's bald, you buffoon

Hence the name of the meme

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I have another story from MSHA from my dad. They really seem to be the worst government safety organization.

A month or so ago MSHA came to the mine and made the guys remove the "on lock" button from all their drills and grinders. No big deal and now they are all in compliance. Last week MSHA came to the mine and fined them for every tool that had the "on lock" button removed for having "modified tools".

Anyway, the mine had to buy all new tools and I got a kickass Milwaukee angle grinder for free.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

mds2 posted:

I have another story from MSHA from my dad. They really seem to be the worst government safety organization.

A month or so ago MSHA came to the mine and made the guys remove the "on lock" button from all their drills and grinders. No big deal and now they are all in compliance. Last week MSHA came to the mine and fined them for every tool that had the "on lock" button removed for having "modified tools".

Anyway, the mine had to buy all new tools and I got a kickass Milwaukee angle grinder for free.

Did they not have any kind of paperwork saying that they were told to take the "on lock" button off?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Megabound posted:

No, but I would trust a tuned, trialled and rigorously tested program.

Selecting a emergency landing site would not be the hardest problem in the world. One possible solution would be giving the plane a list of green zones where it can land along with the map data it already has. It already has access to its own location via gps.

Or you could give it a downward facing camera. It knows its elevation and your camera is of known specifications, combined with a edge detection algorithm you could identify large contiguous areas. Give the plane a minimum area to shoot for, and it could take care of the rest.

Late, but there is a whole lot more that goes into validating control laws than simply “it just werks”.

Imagine if Boeing replaced all of their controls engineers with computer scientists and used the same standards to design their autopilots that Tesla did for their cars. Would you ever get in a 777 ever again?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I won’t get in a plane that has only one human pilot, let alone zero.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

10 Beers posted:

Did they not have any kind of paperwork saying that they were told to take the "on lock" button off?

I really don't think it matters. "Regulations changed" would probably be the response.

I mentioned before they fined my dads work $250 because a lid on a garbage can in a locked office was "askew".

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

mds2 posted:

I really don't think it matters. "Regulations changed" would probably be the response.

I mentioned before they fined my dads work $250 because a lid on a garbage can in a locked office was "askew".

They might require fines to actually fund their operations like the police, unfortunately.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

It has it's advantages in certain areas. The thing with hemp is that weed evangelists think that hemp is some kind of secret backdoor into defacto marijuana legalization.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I won’t get in a plane that has only one human pilot, let alone zero.
I do it all the time.

That one pilot being... me.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mds2 posted:

Monotheism got it all wrong, the unpronounceable name of God is properly spelled AHJ

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

IPCRESS posted:

Its good as a tow line because it's not elastic and when it breaks it doesn't recoil. It does, however, break an awful lot.

It's a good job nothing bad happens when synthetic lines break then!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

10 Beers posted:

And it probably had wording to the effect of "this is not acceptable long term, replace these before our next visit."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

It's a good job nothing bad happens when synthetic lines break then!

There was a guy killed at Disneyland decades ago because hemp rope got replaced with synthetic. The Columbia ship drifted away from its mooring (I think it was an inexperienced pilot who overshot the pier) and the rope snapped. Normally it would just break, but the synthetic line snapped and whipped a cleat into the crowd on the ship. One guy was hit directly in the skull and killed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Holy moly...

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/emergency-declared-at-hanford-nuclear-site-in-washington-state-1.4106507

A tunnel covering a bunch of nuclear waste collapsed at Hanford this morning, emergency evacuation declared.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Almost won a Darwin Award there....

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dillbag posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/emergency-declared-at-hanford-nuclear-site-in-washington-state-1.4106507

A tunnel covering a bunch of nuclear waste collapsed at Hanford this morning, emergency evacuation declared.

It's for sufficiently-low values of "nuclear waste" and "emergency evacuation."

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2017/05/emergency_reported_at_hanford.html

quote:

Workers at the site of the tunnel collapse were evacuated. No workers were in the tunnel. Workers farther away were told to remain indoors.

Officials have not evacuated any employees from nearby buildings, said Lori A., a spokeswoman who would give only her first name. She said she did not know how many employees were asked to stay put while crews investigate the damage.

Employees were asked to take cover in trailers and other designated areas, and they have not been evacuated from the property.

Nearby roads have not been affected, Lori A. said. She had no other information to share and said updates would be posted on the Hanford Emergency Information website.

Residents of Benton and Franklin counties are not required to take any action, the energy department said.

The accident occurred at a facility known as PUREX, located in the middle of the site, said Bradbury, the spokesman with the ecology department. The closed PUREX plant was part of the nation's nuclear weapons production complex.

The 200 East Area contains the Plutonium Uranium Extraction Plant, a facility built in the 1950s that is no longer used today, according to the Department of Energy. The plant processed plutonium from 1956 to 1972, and again from 1983 to 1988.

During those years, the plant processed more than 70,000 tons of uranium fuel rods, about 75 percent of the plutonium at Hanford.

Several rail cars used to transport the fuel rods are buried inside the tunnel near the plant.

"Several rail cars used to transport the irradiated fuel rods from the Hanford nuclear reactors to the processing canyons are temporarily buried inside a tunnel near PUREX as a result of becoming contaminated," according to the website.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Do exotic pets count as osha?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtnqIcF61GQ&feature=share

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

taunting it seems like the correct option.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MF_James posted:

taunting it seems like the correct option.

There's a reason the video cuts off there. It's like found footage

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The driver's got skills.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Azhais posted:

this footage was recovered from a memory card found intact in bobcat scat found at washington national forest by us fish and wildlife service researchers.

if you have any information about the bobcat, its current whereabouts, or the identity of its victims, please contact the fws tipline at 800-258-8546.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Azhais posted:

Mountain Lions seem like way better pets.