Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What I want to know is when will I be able to pre-order Sonic Mania on the PSN store :argh:

If you really cared you would have pre-ordered they ridiculous physical special edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

If you really cared you would have pre-ordered they ridiculous physical special edition

Having a 17 month old means physical editions of anything is just asking for trouble

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
But it has a statue of Sonic standing in a Genesis that goes "Sega" when your press it and a fake Genesis cartridge that has a gold ring in it!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Teach your kid to worship the Sonic statue.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Having a 17 month old means physical editions of anything is just asking for trouble

Mittens or drawers solve this problem you decide

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

elf help book posted:

Teach your kid to worship the Sonic statue.

On it already

Real hurthling! posted:

Mittens or drawers solve this problem you decide

Drawers can be opened and mittens would just make dropping things more likely

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No no You put the kid in the drawer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CharlestheHammer posted:

What who sold Gone home as that

I didn't know anything about Gone Hone until it was a free game but I assumed it wasn't actually a horror game after the first twenty minutes because I assumed they wouldn't suddenly add running or combat mechanics to their lumbering house-explorer sim halfway through. Also I was way more intrigued by the dad's alt-history sci-fi novel than the sister's normal teen angst.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I'm spoilering Gone Home because there's always one guy who hasn't played it: It was heavily implied during Gone Home that the house was haunted. If you go into the game knowing what to expect, knowing that it's all grounded in reality and there are no monsters waiting to jump out and eat you, then it loses all its tension. It 'works' because it's sold as a jump scare game. So that's why I feel it qualifies under my description of "wackadoo unseen forces/paranormal bullshit that may or may not be actually real."

What on earth. No. What are you talking about. The only tension I felt playing that game blind was when I thought the girl had killed herself. The ghost thing amounts to very little.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Renoistic posted:

What on earth. No. What are you talking about. The only tension I felt playing that game blind was when I thought the girl had killed herself. The ghost thing amounts to very little.

I didn't even have that. The lack of tension is sort of my problem with Gone Home; it's overall just a rather boring experience.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Try speedrunning it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Like idgaf about your 8th grade homework

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just to be clear; I love Gone Home. But it's the opposite of a tense and scary game :lol:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was tense going the attic the first time because I wasn't sure what was gonna be up there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got a bit "awww poo poo no" when I saw the bathtub but then quickly saw the bottles next to it and was relieved. That was a good moment.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

morallyobjected posted:

I just thought it was creepy enough exploring an empty house, especially with all the places with poor lighting, and the basement, etc.. I don't think it was ever sold as a horror game with jump scares, but it definitely has a kind of eerie ambiance to it.

I watched an LP of Firewatch and thought the voicework was fantastic. I dunno if I would have had as much fun playing it, but if you like walking sims, it seems like one of the better ones. Life is Strange will probably be my favourite for a while, but Oxenfree is good too.

What I'm saying is walking sims are good.
Life is Strange is a walking simulator?

Was Maniac Mansion a walking simulator, too? You had to walk all the way to the mansion I guess that was really far.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Gone Home seems like the thing where people either enjoy it as the story of a family and their various problems that your character apparently never knew about or they dislike it because they expected a horror game or wanted more gameplay than just walking around finding keys/opening safes. Honestly, I don't think either interpretation is wrong either.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Akuma posted:

Life is Strange is a walking simulator?

Was Maniac Mansion a walking simulator, too? You had to walk all the way to the mansion I guess that was really far.

I thought walking simulator got conflated to mean basically any game where most of the game play is walking around talking to people, first person or otherwise

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Walking Sims generally have very little talking to other people.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

And when they do people models look awful.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Bruc posted:

The new DOOM plays surprisingly well on a controller, not as well as it does on PC obviously but not as far off as you'd think.

Yeah, but can you imagine playing an FPS without a mouse, just, can you. I mean really, not playing a Doom-like with a mouse is basically pissing on God.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Doom-clone is the correct nomenclature.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

More people in 1994 or whatever probably played Doom 1 with a joystick or pure keyboard than a mouse.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Hell, I've seen some people say they played Doom 1 with one of these:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol I remember trying to use one of those for Doom. Quickly went back to keyboard.
It was great for Commander Keen though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Veib posted:

Hell, I've seen some people say they played Doom 1 with one of these:

Me I did. Definitely no one was playing doom with a mouse in 1994 though

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

kirbysuperstar posted:

More people in 1994 or whatever probably played Doom 1 with a joystick or pure keyboard than a mouse.

Lies, PC master race would never use a joystick on a Doom-clone. All mouse, all the time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean very funny, but everyone realized the errors of their ways when Quake came out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played Quake with keyboard only too

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I played Quake with keyboard only too
Mouse look should probably have been on by default.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I prefer playing with a controller.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah I was keyboard only up until UT99 and Q3A. Unreal? Q2? Keyboard.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah I was keyboard only up until UT99 and Q3A. Unreal? Q2? Keyboard.
Did you look up and down with the keyboard?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Akuma posted:

Did you look up and down with the keyboard?

I think so. Only thing that made it an issue was swimming in Unreal, but I dealt with it.

Maps like DM-Morpheus were what made me change.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

lol if you didn't start Quake, open the console and enter "+mlook"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

irlZaphod posted:

lol if you didn't start Quake, open the console and enter "+mlook"

I had it bound to a script

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Anora posted:

Yeah, but can you imagine playing an FPS without a mouse, just, can you. I mean really, not playing a Doom-like with a mouse is basically pissing on God.

I recently played through Doom 2 for the first time as it was designed to be: Using only keyboard controls.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I recently played through Doom 2 for the first time as it was designed to be: Using only keyboard controls.

Doom 1 and 2 were always designed with the mouse in mind and intended to be played with one. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So why did mouse controls for them suck then huh? Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Was there ever much need for vertical looking or shooting in Doom?