Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm stuck on this. Company wants to implement 2fa (yay!) But the company doesn't issue out company phones, so everyone has a private phone.
I can imagine users not wanting to use their private phone for 2fa or other business purposes.

The company doesn't want to give out physical tokens. Am I missing something? Don't know how to proceed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Sefal posted:

I'm stuck on this. Company wants to implement 2fa (yay!) But the company doesn't issue out company phones, so everyone has a private phone.
I can imagine users not wanting to use their private phone for 2fa or other business purposes.

The company doesn't want to give out physical tokens. Am I missing something? Don't know how to proceed.

If they're requiring 2fa, but not providing at least the option of a physical token, then they're requiring phones.

Can you talk them into at least giving people the option of ordering a token? The vast majority of people would rathe just use their phones, even if it's their personal phone, but then you don't have to worry about Nancy in accounting who only had a TracFone, or Joe 4chan who believes RSA is a front for the FBI who will steal all his precious anime wallpapers.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've convinced the boss to ask the higher ups about physical tokens for people who want that.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Carbon dioxide posted:

Man, what a terrible job you must have, to believe a management position is better than what you're currently doing.

Haha. It's not that far fetched. Its a great opportunity for me to test the waters as I'll probably never see such an easy adjustment into what is basically a career change. I've always been a mentor to others and for the past several years a lead on the technical side so it should be okay.

The other place did blow though. It wasn't one single thing, it was just a metric poo poo ton of small things. Being incredibly deceitful about the job itself on the interview was the big one though and it felt like a significant step back in career progression. The only thing it had going for it was that it paid well for something a mid level engineer should be doing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know this is kind of borderline IT, but how would you define the difference between BI analyst and BI dev? I'm thinking BI analyst is the one that fills in templates to get a report and then makes a presentation for whatever group needs it, and BI dev is the one who actually codes the templates and the backend procedures to get the data the analysts need. Does that sound accurate?

I'm just trying to figure out what job I'm doing since the job as it was described by the recruiter was application support. My official title is "System Analyst" which is about as vague as you can get.

I'm asking here because BI is always part of IT, and Cavern of COBOL never seems to have input on it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this is kind of borderline IT, but how would you define the difference between BI analyst and BI dev? I'm thinking BI analyst is the one that fills in templates to get a report and then makes a presentation for whatever group needs it, and BI dev is the one who actually codes the templates and the backend procedures to get the data the analysts need. Does that sound accurate?

I'm just trying to figure out what job I'm doing since the job as it was described by the recruiter was application support. My official title is "System Analyst" which is about as vague as you can get.

I'm asking here because BI is always part of IT, and Cavern of COBOL never seems to have input on it.

I wish I could offer you better input, but I do both analyst and development roles at my company. If you're able to write SSRS reports and make SQL stored procedures (if your in with Microsoft), then that falls more along the lines of development work. I also do a fail bit of backend database work for our code developer to make sure he's got the database backbone he needs for his apps. I'd say BI also involves process documentation and analysis of the production environment.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Fool posted:

Communications director ask if she could order a Macbook Pro for one of her team members. I countered with "Have you considered the Surface Studio?"

We'll see how that plays out.

Spoilers: she's getting a Macbook Pro.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bigass Moth posted:

Which will boot camp to Win 10 and never leave it.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I have a phone skills interview for a technical account management position today which seems like something in between customer service and IT help desk stuff. I already had one phone interview and a set of back to back in person interviews that went great as far as I can tell so I think I'm in if I do well on this. Please wish me luck!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
You can't tell me what to do.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah, what does your getting a job do for me - how does it improve my life? Sheesh.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

The request isn't even for her, but it does come out of her budget, thankfully.

The guy requesting it is just whiny because he wants to use Final Cut Pro and get a brand new macbook so he can "work from home"

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I guess I'll never get a job now, thanks a lot jerk :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sefal posted:

Does your company not reimburse for cell phone use?

Either way every MFA Provider supports voice, SMS or App MFA. If it's thats such a big deal then I'd find new employees.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vargatron posted:

I wish I could offer you better input, but I do both analyst and development roles at my company. If you're able to write SSRS reports and make SQL stored procedures (if your in with Microsoft), then that falls more along the lines of development work. I also do a fail bit of backend database work for our code developer to make sure he's got the database backbone he needs for his apps. I'd say BI also involves process documentation and analysis of the production environment.

That sounds a lot like what I'm doing / will be doing as we expand. At another job the BI analysts were responsible for making charts and graphs and stuff, so far we're only doing tables. The rest will probably come, but it's been about two months since we even started making the first report this company has had in at least six years, if ever.

Process documentation will come when we aren't understaffed (one guy got let go last week for not knowing what he was doing and being unwilling to learn). Production environment analysis is simple: poo poo's hosed :v:...... :negative:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Sefal posted:

No this is normal now. If your office gives out free coffee I think it's OK to require personal phones for MFA

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seriously. I wouldn't expect a company phone unless my job involved being on the move a lot and I was required to be contactable. Being asked to use a personal phone for 2FA is reasonable.

I mean obviously if you go down this path then you can't have a support team who are all "hurr we don't support personal equipment" when it comes to getting the authentication app on their phone, but I have every faith that no company would be that poorly joined up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, either. Make it clear in your messaging to users that your company doesn't own this app, it's the exact same one used by people at lots of other companies, and if they don't want to install something on their phone they can request a token. Most people would rather just install the thing than carry around Yet Another Thing on their keychains.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I have an app on my phone that just asks me to press the ✓ when I try to log in. Nothing obtrusive. It doesn't seem to affect my battery life or data, so I'm not too worried.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I could see running a little RSA app or whatever on my personal phone, but beyond that, the company will provide a phone. That's a non-negotiable for me. I know exactly how much power an ActiveSync connection offers, and there's no way I'll allow that on a personal device. If you expect me to follow email outside office hours or make any phone calls besides the occasional one to my boss or my boss's, hand me a device for which you provide service.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Personally, I think asking employees to use their personal phones for anything work related is lovely if they're given no other option. I'd offer each user a choice between a token or using their personal device, unless it's written into a job description... kind of like 'must have a car and valid drivers license'

edit : vvvv also this. vvvvv

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 9, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm happy to use my personal device for work related things as long as you give me a subsidy and allowance for a new phone.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Roargasm posted:

No this is normal now. If your office gives out free coffee I think it's OK to require personal phones for MFA

I'll gladly drink the free coffee, but will not use my personal phone for work related tasks. And I'm pretty sure threatening to take away the free coffee would not be the way to go to fix this issue.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

Seriously. I wouldn't expect a company phone unless my job involved being on the move a lot and I was required to be contactable. Being asked to use a personal phone for 2FA is reasonable.

I mean obviously if you go down this path then you can't have a support team who are all "hurr we don't support personal equipment" when it comes to getting the authentication app on their phone, but I have every faith that no company would be that poorly joined up.

What about the guy that only has a flip phone?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

When asked why I wanted a company phone I replied "because I don't want to have to shatter my personal phone after I get a dumb call at 3:00AM".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pixaal posted:

Give them a token

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

pixaal posted:

Duo has three options for 2fa. They'll send a push to your phone, send you a text with a 4 digit code, or actually call your number on file and have an automated voice read you a four digit code. It works pretty well for us, including the old dude with a motorola razr (no joke).

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I have had an incredibly strange few weeks and I'd like to share it with you all as I think you'll appreciate it in ways my non-technical friends and family do not.

I am the single network engineer for a small ISP. We mostly do wireless point to multipoint connections for rural customers but have recently started getting into the fiber business. As a result our bandwidth needs are set to scale up very rapidly in the coming months. I'm in the process of building a new core that will handle 40gb/s (up from 2 at present). Alongside this we're changing upstream providers and billing platform all at the same time.

It's a lot to do at once but our hand is being forced by our existing billing platform. The issue we've been having is that the appliances provided by our platform provider for traffic shaping/usage monitoring etc have been rebooting at random, taking our entire network down for at least a minute and causing the hosted phones we provide to reboot as well. This is obviously a big deal and we've found that they have a number of customers who are having the same issue. After spending the better part of a year trying to get them to fix the issue we ended up deciding to switch away from them to a new system and new, much fancier appliances. It's been a shitload of work but we're finally almost ready, except for a bug that I found in these devices that has had the whole migration on hold for what is currently about a week and a half.

We'd been assured that while the specific virtualized appliance we are buying is fairly new it's already in use by some major ISPs across the world without issue and two of the really big ones in the US are getting ready for their own deployments with the product. Shortly before we were set to go live I discovered that the drat thing is stripping VLAN tags from anything that passes through and is making LACP (which my design uses heavily) uncomfortably inconsistent. It turns out that this is a really low level driver issue and my discovery has set off a c-level shitstorm at the company that produces the product.

It's sort of amusing to me that this guy working for a provider nobody has ever heard of discovered this potentially far reaching issue, but my boss and I have essentially been stuck with our dicks in our hands as we scramble to try to come up with more options.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sefal posted:

We use Microsoft's authenticator app here. There are other similar ones with no permissions needed so you aren't being tracked by the company all the time and it isn't draining your battery. You get a little popup and click approve so it is easier to use than typing in a code like the tokens. The $50 amazon tablet just for the app works too. The company pays a phone stipend, or will put you on their plan with an iPhone SE.

Nerdrock posted:

Personally, I think asking employees to use their personal phones for anything work related is lovely if they're given no other option. I'd offer each user a choice between a token or using their personal device, unless it's written into a job description... kind of like 'must have a car and valid drivers license'

I would expect mileage reimbursement if I was driving for work. Your employer should be paying a phone stipend or paying for your cell phone if you have to use it for work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Don't gently caress with magnets guys.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pendent posted:

I have had an incredibly strange few weeks and I'd like to share it with you all as I think you'll appreciate it in ways my non-technical friends and family do not.

I am the single network engineer for a small ISP. We mostly do wireless point to multipoint connections for rural customers but have recently started getting into the fiber business. As a result our bandwidth needs are set to scale up very rapidly in the coming months. I'm in the process of building a new core that will handle 40gb/s (up from 2 at present). Alongside this we're changing upstream providers and billing platform all at the same time.

It's a lot to do at once but our hand is being forced by our existing billing platform. The issue we've been having is that the appliances provided by our platform provider for traffic shaping/usage monitoring etc have been rebooting at random, taking our entire network down for at least a minute and causing the hosted phones we provide to reboot as well. This is obviously a big deal and we've found that they have a number of customers who are having the same issue. After spending the better part of a year trying to get them to fix the issue we ended up deciding to switch away from them to a new system and new, much fancier appliances. It's been a shitload of work but we're finally almost ready, except for a bug that I found in these devices that has had the whole migration on hold for what is currently about a week and a half.

We'd been assured that while the specific virtualized appliance we are buying is fairly new it's already in use by some major ISPs across the world without issue and two of the really big ones in the US are getting ready for their own deployments with the product. Shortly before we were set to go live I discovered that the drat thing is stripping VLAN tags from anything that passes through and is making LACP (which my design uses heavily) uncomfortably inconsistent. It turns out that this is a really low level driver issue and my discovery has set off a c-level shitstorm at the company that produces the product.

It's sort of amusing to me that this guy working for a provider nobody has ever heard of discovered this potentially far reaching issue, but my boss and I have essentially been stuck with our dicks in our hands as we scramble to try to come up with more options.

Have you considered they were lying when they told you how widely deployed this shonky equipment is

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I can appreciate the fact that I'm going to have a phone anyway and therefore asking me to have an app installed isn't unreasonable. Where I draw the line is when I found out that the NOC at my job was actually modifying my notification settings which affected how alerts reached my phone. I changed them back, they changed them again, I changed them back, they changed them again, and I called a meeting and let them know the consequences if it happened again. I'll use my personal phone for work, I'll install some apps, but you're not pushing any changes to my phone.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

Have you considered they were lying when they told you how widely deployed this shonky equipment is

Yes, we've been tossing that idea around quite a bit internally recently. Not a ton we can do about it at this late date though

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can appreciate the fact that I'm going to have a phone anyway and therefore asking me to have an app installed isn't unreasonable. Where I draw the line is when I found out that the NOC at my job was actually modifying my notification settings which affected how alerts reached my phone. I changed them back, they changed them again, I changed them back, they changed them again, and I called a meeting and let them know the consequences if it happened again. I'll use my personal phone for work, I'll install some apps, but you're not pushing any changes to my phone.

Yeah this is why you don't do BYOD without compensation and some kind of form that says exactly what they will and will not do. If they have proper MDM then it's no big deal and shouldn't be a problem but if they are just being shitlords and having you subsidize the company while they co-opt your personally owned device just lol.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mewse posted:

Ehh, his use case might be something they haven't tested for before. Big ISP might not need to use LACP in their environment as they can afford equipment with massive interfaces. Small ISP might not be able to swing equipment than handles a single 40 or 100Gbps interface so they need to use LACP to combine the 4 10Gbe interfaces on less expensive equipment

I think many folks would be surprised what kind of development and testing goes on behind the scenes of big enterprise software.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Ehh, his use case might be something they haven't tested for before. Big ISP might not need to use LACP in their environment as they can afford equipment with massive interfaces. Small ISP might not be able to swing equipment than handles a single 40 or 100Gbps interface so they need to use LACP to combine the 4 10Gbe interfaces on less expensive equipment

I think many folks would be surprised what kind of development and testing goes on behind the scenes of big enterprise software.

That's sort of what they've been telling us. They've been doing a hardware appliance forever without issues but these new virtualized appliances are fairly new and we're told there's not been anybody else that wants to run VLANs or LACP through them. It seems reasonably plausible.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
What a wild day. So as soon as I walked in this morning I was swept into the EVPs office to talk about my resignation. They basically refused to let me go as I have been the driving factor behind a ton of sales on the network side here. They asked how much the other company is paying, which I threw a crazy number out and incredulously they offered a lower base (higher than the real base of other offer) + commissions + an improved bonus structure. Previously the sales guys refused parting with commission saying engineering doesn't deserve it, but now feet to the fire they are going to change their attitude if it means keeping me. My other major issue here is that they never hired a junior network engineer to take care of the smaller projects I scope out even though that was verbally agreed to in the interview. We have an open position so they will bring in guys who have networking experience at the minimum. And lastly when I told them this position is not particularly challenging to me, they told me some inside info that we are planning to acquire two companies this year and they would like me to lead the networking group they create out of it.

So obviously some of this is verbal, but I asked them to provide what they can in writing by tomorrow for me to consider it and we shook hands on it. If they are able to come through on all of that it would be nice to hang out here and see if it comes true, and it will take me out of this hate funk I got going on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Excuse my ignorance, but what can you actually do if they write down that they are (intending to) hire junior guys and acquire other companies for you to lead on, and then don't do it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Get the gently caress out again? But it seems like a pretty killer offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
A killer offer for however long it takes them to hire his replacement at a lower total cost, maybe.