Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've played with my Switch for all of five minutes and already I really really want a Metroid game on this thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nintendo please make a Super Mario World 2. Do it with sprite based media.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi's_Island :confuoot:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nintendo please make a Super Mario World 2. Do it with sprite based media.

e:welp

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want Super Mario 3D World 2.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I don't want no gotdamn Yoshi's Island with its gotdamn Baby Retcon Marios screwing up the fuckin' timeline.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't want no gotdamn Yoshi's Island with its gotdamn Baby Retcon Marios screwing up the fuckin' timeline.

:same:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You have to be profoundly bad at games to put "grind" in your description of any mario rpg

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Fly with me posted:

The PS4 version, that is $19.99, includes no mods or extras. It's just the base game.
The Switch version includes:

I'd say that's worth the extra $10.

yeah $10 for someone else to build the stuff you want to build in a game about building things sounds great

or theyre adding a surcharge to the switch version like everyone else and giving you some digital bullshit so you can rationalise it to yourself

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

yeah $10 for someone else to build the stuff you want to build in a game about building things sounds great

or theyre adding a surcharge to the switch version like everyone else and giving you some digital bullshit so you can rationalise it to yourself

Hey.

Cut it out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is that stuff actually true though? I mean I'm not arguing against the point but I've been hearing it for years now and the Scorpio is something Microsoft seems to be taking very seriously. None of that tells me they're scaling back on the Xbox.

the number of xbox one exclusives currently announced is 0

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey.

Cut it out.

weird that youre telling me not to discuss something about the switch yet there isnt a mod star by your name. really weird one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nba playgrounds looks horrendous. they shouldve called it NBA Shitgrounds

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

weird that youre telling me not to discuss something about the switch yet there isnt a mod star by your name. really weird one.

I'm appealing to your good nature, man.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh no my taint has been reaped

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Oh no my taint has been reaped

Oh my god I completely forgot about the Taint Reaper.

It's a shame he died before seeing his life's work of destroying the Wii U come to fruition.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't Get Empress Brosephined just doesn't have the same ring to it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm appealing to your good nature, man.

lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blaster Master Zero is proving quite fun though I'm glad I got to Area 2 because my god was that music worming its way into my brain

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh my god I completely forgot about the Taint Reaper.

It's a shame he died before seeing his life's work of destroying the Wii U come to fruition.

What happened to Taint Reaper?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

When there's only one taint left to reap...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is that stuff actually true though? I mean I'm not arguing against the point but I've been hearing it for years now and the Scorpio is something Microsoft seems to be taking very seriously. None of that tells me they're scaling back on the Xbox.

All their games being cross-platform xbox and windows says they're scaling back on the xbox. We'll see. Scorpio certainly isn't dead.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Reaped his last Taint back in early 2016.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=189501

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Such is the fate of many a goon to get turned away at the pearly gates.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Infinitum posted:

If you could plug a keyboard and mouse into the Switch, I would buy Minecraft for the Switch

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/56554/nintendo-switch-supports-usb-keyboards/index.html

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I've played with my Switch for all of five minutes and already I really really want a Metroid game on this thing

Look forward to your HD ports of Federation Force and Other M

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Babysteps: You can now save your credit card info in the eShop instead of having to enter it in every single loving time :siren:

hmmmm someone buy Minecraft when it comes out and let me know :nyoron:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

eShop also has a 'View More' button so you can see all 43 games released on this dead gay console

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

WHEN

THE

gently caress

CAN

I

PLAY

SUPER MARIO WORLD

ON

THE

SWITCH?

i normally play switch on my pc monitor, so all I have to do is sync a joy-con to my pc and fire up mame to pretend that I'm playing virtual console

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Infinitum posted:

eShop also has a 'View More' button so you can see all 43 games released on this dead gay console

I don't understand why they didn't just take the Wii U eShop and music and put it on the switch. That would have made a much better placeholder than this current eshop iteration.

It's crazy that I am enjoying this console as much as I am when for all intents and purposes this thing is still in Beta.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the OS kind of feels :effort: so far, especially compared to the state the Wii and Wii U launched in. In some places you can make a case that maybe they were going for tasteful minimalism but some places just seem like they were rushing for a release.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah the OS kind of feels :effort: so far, especially compared to the state the Wii and Wii U launched in. In some places you can make a case that maybe they were going for tasteful minimalism but some places just seem like they were rushing for a release.

It's pretty obvious they rushed it out the door early, though we don't know why considering it wasn't anywhere near Christmas. At a general guess, I'd wager it was slated for a June/July release with ARMS as a launch title initially.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like you don't really remember the launch Wii U OS that well. The load times were a bona fide nightmare and ruined any positives the experience might've had.

The eShop was nice, though. :3:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's pretty obvious they rushed it out the door early, though we don't know why considering it wasn't anywhere near Christmas.

Investor report type bullshit. They're a publicly traded company and couldn't just go 6-8 months with essentially nothing. They saw this information and panicked. That they appear to have pulled it off anyway is testament to how great Zelda is and the fundamental appeal of the Switch hardware. I read an article recently that was saying the Switch might be the first console that sells games based on the appeal of the hardware, rather than the other way around.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 9, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Wii was pretty basic at launch... I think the main thing missing from the Switch eShop is having Categories, or something along those lines. The WiiU eShop layout was nice, I'm sure the Switch one will improve as it matures.

One nice thing is that it's no longer a pain to switch Wifi networks like it used to be on the WiiU. The WiiU seemed to only ever want to connect to the "default" one, so if you were ever moving from one location to another you'd basically have to go through the Wifi setup again. It was always a bit finnicky.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the undercooked OS and eshop are sincerely the best current gen console operating system and store

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Infinitum posted:

Don't Get Empress Brosephined just doesn't have the same ring to it

Medothised

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The UI is good but could be improved. Things like folders will probably come in time, as they did for the 3DS. The #1 thing I thought was missing was a credit card storage option, but that seems to be solved as of now.

It's nice to see that they're incrementing it over time rather than doing yearly huge updates. What I'd like to see next is a little more customisation, like a colour or image selector for the theme. The User Icon tools are already similar, so it's not impossible that those UI elements will carry across. I hope they do, they're really nice.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What I'd like to see more of is actual virtual console games because I feel personally offended every time I open the store and see nothing but new neo geo games and no actual classic nintendo games

Why the hell are there so many neo geo games

I mean cool if you like them I dig it but why is neo geo llc releasing all of its games on the switch

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

BattleMaster posted:

Well it's empty and very barebones, but on the other hand it's rock stable and responsive and quick. I'd've hoped for quicker updates and more features though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Imagined posted:

Investor report type bullshit. They're a publicly traded company and couldn't just go 6-8 months with essentially nothing. They saw this information and panicked. That they appear to have pulled it off anyway is testament to how great Zelda is and the fundamental appeal of the Switch hardware. I read an article recently that was saying the Switch might be the first console that sells games based on the appeal of the hardware, rather than the other way around.

I'd argue the Wii sold for the appeal of the hardware as well, because that moved a lot of units and got Sony making their own Move controllers just to try and capture of some of that marketshare.

• Locked thread