Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Currently sitting in the Town Square Theatre waiting for my Keys to the Kingdom tour to begin!

Awesome! That was one of my favorite parts of my 2016 trip. Have a wonderful time! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

There's a teaser video for the new show going around and while the fireworks and new lazer stuff looks amazing, the music has me really hyped. It's hard to capture the magic of the Wishes song, but this is pretty drat great.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav..._source=twitter

Tinkerbell still flies

There's another test tonight and on the 9th of the new show.. I was woken up at 1:30 in the morning last Tuesday when they did the first test that started a loving firestorm over "Why is Disney shooting off fireworks at 2 in the morning!" Guessing this one will be earlier.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

At Universal today and this Virtual Queue stuff for the Jimmy Fallon ride is weird. Being able to walk onto everything else thanks to all the single rider queues is great though :D

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah I don't know how well it will work in the long run (sometimes people just want to get in line, they don't want to be told they can't wait AT ALL if they didn't get in early to get a time) but we are about to find out since Volcano Bay will be nothing but virtual queues.

Anyway... here are some pictures from Disney I took last night:

Gaston by cchard, on Flickr

Final Light by cchard, on Flickr

Castle by cchard, on Flickr

Going Home by cchard, on Flickr

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you guys get so awesome pics!!

On the EPCOt tour they said the Wonders Pavilion was closed because there were days were not a single person would enter. Sad. They also basically confirmed Universe of Energy was closing saying she saw height balloons in the past few days. Good riddance imho

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've been thinking about starting a Disney blog (and accompanying social media accounts) with a heavy focus on photos and ambient videos of the parks (time lapses, etc). Only big question mark is what to do for music in the videos. Ambient park sounds? Can't use Disney music because of copyright of course. Any creative ideas? I know we have some media folks in this thread. Also, do you guys have any links to non-news related good DIsney blogs? More creative or lifestyle stuff?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the best inside baseball disney blog imho:

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/

For music, you can use creative commons music but ambient would be the best. Granted you'd have to do some good foley work.

I want to start reviewing stuff at Disney, eventually i'll get around to doing it too :shrug:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bottom Liner posted:

I've been thinking about starting a Disney blog (and accompanying social media accounts) with a heavy focus on photos and ambient videos of the parks (time lapses, etc). Only big question mark is what to do for music in the videos. Ambient park sounds? Can't use Disney music because of copyright of course. Any creative ideas? I know we have some media folks in this thread. Also, do you guys have any links to non-news related good DIsney blogs? More creative or lifestyle stuff?

I'll make dreamy ambient music for it but if it turns into a goon project we all know what happens next

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'll make dreamy ambient music for it but if it turns into a goon project we all know what happens next

I call being the idea guy!!!

But seriously its hard to get an audience because there are so many Disney blogs and websites out there now. You have to have something unique. My thought for a while was to do a more Orlando focused site instead of just Disney. There are a lot of Disney sites but not as many I've seen over the other parks more than a token amount. I've been experimenting on my own website as a travel/photo blog but that has taught me that I really don't have the free time to produce daily (or sometimes even weekly) updates.

Empress Brosephine posted:

How do you guys get so awesome pics!!

A good DSLR and a good lens. I've had a lot of fun since moving from a iPhone to DSLR. I get much better pictures that are more creative (like that last one... 1 second exposure... hand-held. I had to take half a dozen shots before I got one that wasn't too blurry).

Plus a little fussing around in Lightroom.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope that sleepy hollow adventure is good. I wanna go.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Zero One posted:

Yeah I don't know how well it will work in the long run (sometimes people just want to get in line, they don't want to be told they can't wait AT ALL if they didn't get in early to get a time) but we are about to find out since Volcano Bay will be nothing but virtual queues.

Anyway... here are some pictures from Disney I took last night:

Your compositions are fantastic. Keep up the good work.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

This is the best inside baseball disney blog imho:

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/

This person is crazy as hell and I love her blog. She also did a video that might be in line with what Bottom Liner was talking about - A Day at Columbia Harbor House.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keys to the Kingdom is a great tour, one which lasts about 5 hours if you rush through it. We thankfully took the early morning tour so only part of it involved the hot sun.

Beginning at the Main Street Theatre (which we found out was originally planned to be a hotel before Walt was convinced that letting guests stay overnight inside the park would be a mistake), the tour goes to Adventureland for a ride on the Jungle Cruise on a private boat, backstage to the area where the Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain show buildings are (stopping inside the parade float storage building and checking out the Splash Mountain reservoir), to the Tomorrowland Terrace for lunch, back to Liberty Square to ride the Haunted Mansion, and finally down into the utilidors via the PhilharMagic gift shop and exiting back at Main Street.

Some choice bits I learned:

* The thatching on the Tiki Room is actually recycled aluminum, and the building acts as a giant lightning rod.

* There are only two flags on Main Street: the main flagpole at the beginning and the flag on top of the train station. All the others have missing or added stars or stripes, which makes them legally pennants and thus immune to regulations involving American flags (like lowering to half-mast) which would be a gigantic hassle.

* The reservoir for Splash Mountain holds something like 263,000 gallons of chemically treated water. The entire ride is drained every two weeks (sometimes weekly during the summer) for cleaning the tracks out.

* The backstage areas have red pavement that indicates that the cast members are still potentially within guest view and need to remain in character until they're on gray pavement. This is extended for parade vehicles, which are tall enough to poke over the gates.

* One that you may already know, the utilidors are actually the ground level for the Magic Kingdom. Because building underground is virtually impossible in Florida due to the high water table, they built the utilidors on the land and then covered them with the earth scooped out to make the Seven Seas Lagoon. The Magic Kingdom is actually on the second story of the park, and this is reflected by areas like backstage at Splash Mountain and Pirates where you go downhill after going through the gate. This also means that Main Street is a slight incline, which serves to make the castle look taller and let people walk downhill when they're tired at the end of the day.

* The utilidors have a huge amount of pictures and memorabilia that practically make them a Disney museum. They have cases with portraits of the original Imagineers at work (like Leota Toombs Thomas, the costumer and cosmetologist who inadvertently became Madame Leota for the Haunted Mansion thanks to her ideal creepy bone structure), one of the glass slippers and sample keycards given to people lucky enough to stay in the Cinderella's Castle suite, and some concept art of future attractions from Disney parks around the world. They also have seemingly one of every single pin ever released by Disney in display cases.

Pictures backstage are unfortunately forbidden, so I can neither confirm nor deny having snuck any photos.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like it's still dissimilar to Marcelline that's good. Do you get to see any of the Splash AAs? And where did you go to eat?

Writing up my Epcot one tonight

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a couple from last night..

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sounds like it's still dissimilar to Marcelline that's good. Do you get to see any of the Splash AAs? And where did you go to eat?

Writing up my Epcot one tonight

We ate at Tomorrowland Terrace, closed off for our group. You pick your lunch option when you arrive from a decently sized menu, which has your standard "burger, chicken strips with or without hot sauce, hot dog, salad" options, but also more unusual ones like a faux banh mi made with pulled pork and spicy aioli.

Another fun fact: many of the things called "audio-animatronics" by guests and cast members are properly termed "mechanicals". The difference appears to be that animatronics use pneumatic or hydraulic systems to provide a range of motion that can be programmed and adjusted (audio-animatronics are synced to audio), while mechanicals simply transfer back and forth between two positions through a simple mechanism. Most of the animals on the Jungle Cruise and many spirits of the Haunted Mansion are mechanicals with extremely limited movement.

In terms of what we saw, the only operating one we saw up close was the rhino from the Jungle Cruise, which was removed for refurbishment and sitting near the Splash Mountain reservoir.

Also speaking of animatronics, we found out that they often reuse the same latex masks for different animatronics with different hair and makeup. The whistling pirate in the jail, the mayor being dunked in the well by the pirates, and the ghost blowing out the candles on the birthday cake in the Haunted Mansion are all the exact same mask. The graveyard caretaker and the man on the bottom of the pole at the Jungle Cruise (the one being poked by the rhino) are likewise the same face. They also get their creepy look from having real human hair, dentures, and medical-grade glass eyes.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That sounds cool. I loved Marcelline and I sell keys like crazy (might've sold it to you!). I should do it. Undiscovered future world didn't have much in the way of cool facts other than that when they need to retire the animatronics at Circle of Progress they get sent to spaceship earth. So the two lute players? They're the original animatronics of the father and daughter from COP.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2921/14241429544_5dfe5dbee4_b.jpg

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

demonR6 posted:

Here's a couple from last night..

I am enjoying all these pictures for real.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That sounds cool. I loved Marcelline and I sell keys like crazy (might've sold it to you!). I should do it. Undiscovered future world didn't have much in the way of cool facts other than that when they need to retire the animatronics at Circle of Progress they get sent to spaceship earth. So the two lute players? They're the original animatronics of the father and daughter from COP.

We actually got Keys to the Kingdom by complete accident. My mom attended a Disney auction that was attended by Bob Gurr a year or two back, and she was given two vouchers for the tour. All she had to do was call and schedule.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Does anyone know where I can buy a print of this poster?

Sigh :(

Here's a farewell to the best thing at WDW, and hopes that the new show can live up to it.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 8, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love that Wishes poster but hate the show (I know I know) and want one too :(

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bottom Liner posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy a print of this poster?

Sigh :(

Here's a farewell to the best thing at WDW, and hopes that the new show can live up to it.

I checked my collection (I've got two of the calendars, one WDW set, and one Disneyland Paris set) and none of them came with the Wishes poster. Sorry, if I had it I would have given it.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
I was able to ride flight of passage yesterday. This is easily the most impressive ride system in Orlando, and possibly my favorite ride at WDW. The Navi River Journey was neat, but if there is more than a 45 minute wait I would say it's not worth it. Be sure to try the quick service restaurant. I had the chicken bowl over rice with bean sauce and it was delicious. Fun Fact- Pandora is the only land at Disney where you won't find Mickey Mouse. Even the bags and cast member name tags do not say Disney on them.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

nbakyfan posted:

I was able to ride flight of passage yesterday. This is easily the most impressive ride system in Orlando, and possibly my favorite ride at WDW. The Navi River Journey was neat, but if there is more than a 45 minute wait I would say it's not worth it. Be sure to try the quick service restaurant. I had the chicken bowl over rice with bean sauce and it was delicious. Fun Fact- Pandora is the only land at Disney where you won't find Mickey Mouse. Even the bags and cast member name tags do not say Disney on them.

It all looks so cool! I did notice in watching some queue walkthroughs.... that the physical line spaces are loooooooong. I think I read that Flight of Passage has four hours of queue space, yeesh.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Edna Mode posted:

It all looks so cool! I did notice in watching some queue walkthroughs.... that the physical line spaces are loooooooong. I think I read that Flight of Passage has four hours of queue space, yeesh.

I heard that too. Now, admittedly, I may change my tune if I ever actually need to do it, but after seeing a video of the queue I wouldn't mind being stuck in there for a while. I know the Indy queue at DL made the wait suck wayyyy less than anywhere else.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Braks is at WDW right now right?

Does anybody know if its possible to change names on reservations? Including FP selections?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have to call Internet Help Desk it's a pain in the rear end

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Secretly atleast on DRC end we just say bring the people to the ride and tell them you grabbed the wrong magic bands In sure BBS and the likes hate that though lol

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

Braks is at WDW right now right?

Does anybody know if its possible to change names on reservations? Including FP selections?

Yes! I can change the reservation! Sorry I forgot to reply! I'll email you back!

I think the best thing to do is change the second guest, then once the change is done, go into your FP and edit them to include the new person.

And yes, I'm at WDW. We just got back from Epcot. Got my Beijing strawberries, a Tipsy Ducks In Love, and a Nanaimo bar trifle. Also, it is hot as balls.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 9, 2017

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Booked PO Riverside for end of October - beginning of November. Stoked as I've never stayed there. Might take a day to go off property and explore some of the towns you guys have recommended to live in.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Riverside is nice make sure you take the Disney springs boat at night real cool.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

What are the differences between Riverside and FQ anyway? I've stayed at FQ twice and liked it, but is there anything cool at Riverside to maybe try next time instead?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The royal princess rooms

FQ has better transportation in told and I perfer its theming. Riverside is kind of meh.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Riverside and FQ are both very nice. Basically look up pictures of both and pick the theme you like best. Can't go wrong with either, PO has always been my favorite resort. Riverside also has Bob and Bob owns and you should definitely get drunk and listen to Bob play piano if you get the chance.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah we took the boat to DS on our last day which kind of solidified us wanting to stay there. One of my coworkers worked at Riverside for like 20 years before joining us and he hyped it up a lot. Pretty legit.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bob rules so hard

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone going to be at MK tomorrow? We're going to see Wishes one last time but don't want to deal with the crazy Thursday crowd. Might watch that one from The Poly.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone going to be at MK tomorrow? We're going to see Wishes one last time but don't want to deal with the crazy Thursday crowd. Might watch that one from The Poly.

I'm at MK tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Okay, so i've got my extended family coming in to Orlando next month. I can see everyone in mydisney account now, and everyone but the 2 year old has a valid ticket linked to their account. Say I want to do a fastpass for Dumbo, will I need to include the 2 year old? and if so, how do I do that since the fastpass won't let me continue when they are in the fastpass party.