Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goose willis posted:

I liked the minimalism of the old Necron fluff because they were really loving terrifying despite having very little written about them, they were a proper enigma

Anyway it's too late to change any of that now so it's just a 3rd edition veteran whining about what happened ever since then

You can play AoS - in the fluff, there is a mysterious faction of silent undead, coated in living metal!

Yes, this is a real thing.

xtothez posted:

20 years on and I still can't believe a British company published an expansion with that title. I can only imagine how that design meeting went down:

"Since Mike won the bet about getting kids to buy a Dominatrix, I'm gonna bet you all a fiver I can get something published on our shelves with NOB in the title"
*sniggering like Beavis*
Yeah, but isn't nob is still more commonly used to refer to someone of higher social standing (Da Boss,) especially 20 years ago? UK goons feel free to clarify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You're thinking of snob. Nob is a dick.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'd think they were calling them a dick first, but it's still valid.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ijyt posted:

You're thinking of snob. Nob is a dick.

Knob is a dick. Nob is a rich person (i.e. "Nob Hill.") Snob can be a dick or a rich person.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Nob is short for noble, I always figured.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A dictionary will tell you a nob is a wealthy or powerful individual.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

HiveCommander posted:

Tyranids fighting Ultras on Macragge unironically owned though, because it was one of the very few times anything lore-wise has basically ever been a threat to the Smurfs.
That, and even when the Ultras won, it basically put their first company down to single digits. A really bitter victory for them.

Yeah, plus that ended up basically defining the Ultramarines for years.

Liquid Communism posted:

Honestly, if the rules allow it, I just want to roll shiny and chrome. Bikers and trukks fulla boyz for days driving up to assault range and getting down to business.

I really hope that when they revisit the Ork range, they go full Fury Road on that poo poo. If they put the same modularity and detail into ork vehicle kits as they do the recent imperial terrain and GSC/DW vehicle kits, that'd be loving rad.

Basically I want to see the bulk of their new rules go toward modding vehicles to be piles of spikes and spinning blades and flame-spurting guitars.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, plus that ended up basically defining the Ultramarines for years.

I really hope that when they revisit the Ork range, they go full Fury Road on that poo poo. If they put the same modularity and detail into ork vehicle kits as they do the recent imperial terrain and GSC/DW vehicle kits, that'd be loving rad.

Basically I want to see the bulk of their new rules go toward modding vehicles to be piles of spikes and spinning blades and flame-spurting guitars.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

berzerkmonkey posted:

You can play AoS - in the fluff, there is a mysterious faction of silent undead, coated in living metal!

Yes, this is a real thing.
Wait what

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Stormcasts, bruh.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Safety Factor posted:

That's, uh, not the story I was thinking about. I was thinking about the one where the Tyranids invade a planet that coincidentally has some sort of crazy relic on it. They annihilate everything including the Grey Knights guarding the thing and it activates, opening a portal to the warp. Demons pour through expecting the usual, but find Tyranids instead and get pissed. The Tyranids are forced to adapt to these weird-rear end fleshless things and are eventually victorious. It's seriously got like a three page spread.

Aaah, we can't be talking about the same book. I think your story was from the 5th ed, and the one I mentioned from the 6th, sans Phil Kelly's mitigating presence. 4th Ed was the absolute best, because it was done in-universe, all 3rd-person from the sentient races, mostly Imperial. It could be taken as fantastic horror writing.

For anyone who doesn't know, the excuse Cruddace gave for writing almost nothing but Tyranid defeats in their own codex was because "nobody would hear about any victories" or some poo poo--as though sending psychic radio signals through Space-Hell from the last few remaining survivors of an infested, dying world wasn't artistically worth considering and doesn't happen every other Thursday in 40k.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Sex Cannon posted:

Stormcasts, bruh.

Oh derp. I got thrown off by the "mysterious."

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Sex Cannon posted:

Stormcasts, bruh.

I was under the impression it was another one of those "no totally man Kaldor Draigo is in AoS" situations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Character rules are up:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/09/new-warhammer-40000-characters-may9gw-homepage-post-4/

As expected, no more joining units, abilities have an AoE effect on similarly-keyworded units

e: Also, you can't target a character in shooting unless they're the closest enemy model or they have 11+ wounds

e2: Also characters can pile into a nearby combat in the fight phase now, even if they weren't charged.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 9, 2017

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

The Sex Cannon posted:

Stormcasts, bruh.

Stormcast are not undead; they are ascendant immortals (maybe not truly immortal though?)

quote:

So here’s a big thing – Characters can’t join units anymore.
To counter the fact that these Characters cannot join units and “hide” from enemy fire, there is a rule in the Shooting phase that means you can’t target a Character unless they are the closest enemy model. This represents the difficulty in picking out individuals amidst the maelstrom of battle and applies to all Characters with a Wounds characteristic of 10 or less, including things that previously might not have benefited from any protection.

Heck yes, seems like a better version of what AOS does

Heroic Intervention sounds like a Command Points ability

Calling it now: Fireblade + Fire Warrior spam will be A Thing

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Presumably they're gonna have some special rules for units like Vindicares to let them target characters regardless of positioning.

Edit: Calling it now, Hive Tyrants end up with 11 wounds

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Character rules are up:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/09/new-warhammer-40000-characters-may9gw-homepage-post-4/

As expected, no more joining units, abilities have an AoE effect on similarly-keyworded units

e: Also, you can't target a character in shooting unless they're the closest enemy model or they have 11+ wounds

e2: Also characters can pile into a nearby combat in the fight phase now, even if they weren't charged.

The art is so good for what they've been showing off. I wish I had a 1080 version of that incubi picture.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Neat, guillimans less vulnerable to being gunned down now, but I guess that's necessary against d6 las cannons.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm really glad the team involved in this actually understands and has a working knowledge of the problems. I love the heroic counter-charge rule, so Characters can shepard units and still offer their defense as a deterrent.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Newhammer40k looks like Age of Sigmar 2.0 and I'm am 100% on board

Not being able to snipe characters means melee combat is tactically valuable and not just A Thing You Do After You Shoot

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

So if my walking Hive Tyrant has 10 or less wounds, he's gonna be real as poo poo. That's kinda what I've been waiting for.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I'm calling my work on my Inner Circle entry done. Finals are next week and I've gotta hammer down on finishing some reading. Here's what I managed to complete. Sorry for the crappy cellphone photos!

Also here's my cat, Zuul.

Grand total is 15 units.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
So 11 wounds is officially the worst amount of wounds for a character to have

DO IT TO IT posted:

So if my walking Hive Tyrant has 10 or less wounds, he's gonna be real as poo poo. That's kinda what I've been waiting for.

They will give Hive Tyrants 11 wounds

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

xtothez posted:

Edit: Calling it now, Hive Tyrants end up with 11 wounds

Hive Tyrants were never ICs, though. I'd expect Tyrant Guard to have a special rule saying they intercept shots at a non-flying Hive Tyrant within 6" or whatever.

Hopefully they just change the Flying Hive Tyrant into a new unit, the Tyrant Crone or something like that, so they can cost the different options appropriately.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

DO IT TO IT posted:

Considering Hive Tyrants currently have 4 wounds and Guilliman has 6 I would guess they'll have less than 9. It's possible that they will have more, but I'm betting there will be ways to block for them, Tyrant Guard-style.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Yeah, I'm wondering what Tyrant Guard will do. Or all the other bodyguard models in the game, for that matter.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

Considering Hive Tyrants currently have 4 wounds and Guilliman has 6 I would guess they'll have less than 9. It's possible that they will have more, but I'm betting there will be ways to block for them, Tyrant Guard-style.

Hive Tyrants got their wound value twenty years ago, and Guilliman got his twenty days ago, so I don't know how much we can look to history. I'd imagine Hive Tyrants will be 9 minimum, but they might not even be Characters in the new version, as they're not ICs now.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Tyranid poo poo train continues.

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/861951345393315844

"Choo choo, bitches" says Cruddace.

There's also a special turd hidden there.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering what Tyrant Guard will do. Or all the other bodyguard models in the game, for that matter.

There are lots of "bodyguard" units in AOS that have an ability that works something like this:

If a HERO within 3" takes a wound or mortal wound you can roll a dice. On a 4+ they can ignore that wound or mortal wound, and this unit suffers a mortal wound immediately.

It leads to a lot of hilarious interactions, like a Tomb Herald with Settra. The Tomb Herald doesn't roll to see if he "transfers" the wound, it just happens automatically. Here is what happens whenever Settra takes a wound:

Settra takes a wound.
Settra rolls to save 3+ (2+ if he is in cover, 1+ if he is in cover and has Mystic Shield spell)
Settra rolls to ignore the wound on a 5+ with his unique ability
Settra rolls to ignore the wound on a 6+ with the Death battle trait
Settra ignores the wound and "transfers" it to a Tomb Herald
Tomb Herald rolls to ignore the wound 6+ with Death battle trait

You used to be able to ping wounds between 2 tomb heralds indefinitely because they are also a HERO model. You were literally immune to damage if you had 2 Tomb Heralds standing within 3" of each other. They had to errata the warscroll and make it only work on TOMB KING and LICHE PRIEST rather than HERO keywords.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pawl posted:

Here is what happens whenever Settra takes a wound:

Settra takes a wound.
Settra rolls to save 3+ (2+ if he is in cover, 1+ if he is in cover and has Mystic Shield spell)
Settra rolls to ignore the wound on a 5+ with his unique ability
Settra rolls to ignore the wound on a 6+ with the Death battle trait
Settra ignores the wound and "transfers" it to a Tomb Herald
Tomb Herald rolls to ignore the wound 6+ with Death battle trait

this sounds terrible

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Moola posted:

this sounds terrible

Did we mention they're skeletons?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Moola posted:

this sounds terrible

It is awesome and one of the reasons Tomb Kings are a top tier army

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Hah
Hahahaha

...gently caress

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

panascope posted:

Did we mention they're skeletons?

hmmm

skeletons good

but AoS bad

not sure how I feel about this

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I think the idea is that Guilliman is meant to be smaller, he is unlikely to remain an MC. He went from 6 to 9 wounds, while the Morkanaut went from 5 to 18. For example they mentioned Magnus won't be a character, so I assume he will get a boatload more wounds to make up for increased shooting.

I think this will balance out, Guilliman is unlikely to just punch a Morkanaut into space like he would in 7th. In 7th Guilliman could reliable kill two more morkanauts in melee combat.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Uroboros posted:

I think this will balance out, Guilliman is unlikely to just punch a Morkanaut into space like he would in 7th. In 7th Guilliman could reliable kill two more morkanauts in melee combat.

I don't know why I found this so funny but I think it's because it conjured up Guilliman visiting the emperor on the throne and regaling him with the story about the time he punched a Morkanaut so hard it saw the curvature of the earth.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

So basically 'Shoot the Big Ones' is back. Nice.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

HiveCommander posted:

Hah
Hahahaha

...gently caress

OK dude, this is the second time Mango has posted GamesWerkshop's Twitter feed. It's not like Tyranid fans need any additional source of salt or bitterness. TBH seeing this sort of thing is almost inspiring since I wouldn't put it past old GW to do literally exactly this same unaware sort of thing, but New Games Workshop TM R C even referenced how completely worthless Pyrovores are (and hopefully "were").

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yep.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Stormcasts, bruh.
Nope. Actual rattlebones, or whatever the gently caress. There's mention of them in one of the fluff pieces - I'll see if I can find it in the BRB without losing my sanity along the way.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pretty sure monstrous creatures aren't going to get the same treatments as ICs because it seems stupid that a gigantic whatever couldn't be picked out in combat. I do hope that they give the tyrant a thousand wounds and also make is tough as hell.

• Locked thread