Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blastinus posted:

If I'm going to be honest, I actually consider Ryuji to be the weaker link in the overall party lineup. If Ann's facing an enemy with a Fire resistance, her damage suffers for it, yes, but she's got other options that still let her contribute to the party, such as healing or applying statuses. On the other hand, if an enemy has a Physical resistance, then Ryuji doesn't have the SP to sustain his magic for very long, and his Electric magic isn't that strong to begin with. I didn't end up using Ryuji too often in my first playthrough, and I don't feel like I lost much.

Ryuji is King poo poo of gently caress Mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Blastinus posted:

If I'm going to be honest, I actually consider Ryuji to be the weaker link in the overall party lineup. If Ann's facing an enemy with a Fire resistance, her damage suffers for it, yes, but she's got other options that still let her contribute to the party, such as healing or applying statuses. On the other hand, if an enemy has a Physical resistance, then Ryuji doesn't have the SP to sustain his magic for very long, and his Electric magic isn't that strong to begin with. I didn't end up using Ryuji too often in my first playthrough, and I don't feel like I lost much.
On balance it's still better to focus on physicals, since healing's a lot easier on your SP pools than damage spells are. You can just swap physical-oriented members out if you hit a section that has a lot of phys resist enemies.

Also Ryuji hits like a goddamn truck.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I like the ever continuing hints that Sojiro isn't as big of a hardass as he acts. If you claim Morgana was abandoned, he kind of shuts up as a sorry before continuing the shared script.

Doc Morbid posted:

So uh, those "Battle" and "Urgent" tabs on there when you're making infiltration items? I somehow managed to do almost two entire playthroughs of this game without noticing you could change tabs on that screen, and only found out when someone in the main thread over at Games mentioned you could do that. :eng99:

Wait, there's WHAT?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Right there at the top, next to "TOOLS". I'm glad I'm not the only one who never noticed those tabs until someone pointed them out, this must be how it feels to be one of those people who always miss the "This LP is available on the Internet Archive" banner on the LP Archive.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

All I'll say about your party is that they all have strengths and weaknesses. Since Joker is the leader and the guy with many personas it's his job to utilise his teammates properly.

It doesn't matter now anyway, because your four-man party is all you have in Kamoshida's castle.

Also, we should've let Sojiro name our cat.

I'm sad we can't.

Plus, the weapon shop guy and the doctor lady have really nice English voices.

By the way, what about the jam bread you get from school?

You get 20HP for 120 yen.

I think it's a little cost effective, but I forget how much the bandages are for.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blademaster_Aio posted:

You get 20HP for 120 yen.

I think it's a little cost effective, but I forget how much the bandages are for.

Believe bandages are about the same price. But I think (most) anything food/drink related is finite in number. But then again I didn't buy a lot of food early game. Plus, if I remember correctly, you can't use bandages in battle, they're an Out-of-Battle healing item, which is why buying a few Recov-R 50/100s isn't the worst idea in the world. But I DO recommend not investing heavily in Takemi's clinic early on since that poo poo is -expensive- for early game. Even after the Soma selling.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Also, we should've let Sojiro name our cat.

I mean, it would have been cool, but the cat has a name and is his own person.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
The soda pops that restore sp are a good deal as well.

Especially the ones in the machine nearby the cafe.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I managed to notice that the doctor has an accessory tab, but I'm most of the way through the game and never noticed the other thief tool tabs, whoops.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

You can buy lots of jam bread.

Takemi's stuff is useful for emergencies but I was always poor. I needed money for everything.

Speaking of food, some of the limited edition stuff in this game is great. There's the fruit pack in Yongen's supermarket and the earth burger at big bang burger. They're really good.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I mean, it would have been cool, but the cat has a name and is his own person.

I know. But Sojiro sounded kinda sad. I actually picked the 'it was abandoned' option. Sojiro actually feels really bad for the cat then.

Also. Takemi totally knows we're lying. I mean, she doesn't buy our story at all and then says 'even highschool kids have it rough these days'. I bet people come to her for drugs all the time... wait, that's what we're doing. Oops.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If it's not spoilery, could one of you post what Takemi actually says if you play it straight and go "we're going to rob a person of his Treasure with capital T"`? Also, Morgana picking his staff like a proper cat :3:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's not really a spoiler to say Morgana's animations in the real world got me warmed up to him a hell of a lot faster than Teddie.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Rangpur posted:

It's not really a spoiler to say Morgana's animations in the real world got me warmed up to him a hell of a lot faster than Teddie.

Anytime I got annoyed with Morgana, I'd look at him and then go "ITS A KITTY" mode.

He's too drat cute for his own good.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Honestly even as I am playing I have enough freedom to use whoever I want (and thats usually the newest party members)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

mauman posted:

Anytime I got annoyed with Morgana, I'd look at him and then go "ITS A KITTY" mode.

He's too drat cute for his own good.

Probably why Sojiro backed down so quick; it is the rare, heartless man that cannot be softened by the full use of "kitty kitty aww kitty."

Interesting thing about Morgana's social link: he is the Magician, and his tarot card says Le Bateleur, which is translated in french as street performer- a juggler, a tumbler, a player of tricks. It could refer to a kind of magician, but more refers to the cards and balls, "nothing up my sleeve" kind, rather than any mystical figure... which fits rather splendidly to the game and his role in it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Morgana's insistence on referring to Ann as "Lady Ann" , alomgside constant attempts to get her to like him, is obnoxious and unrelenting. Combine it with his constant making GBS threads on Ryuji, general arrogance, and near-omnipresence (teddie didn't chime in on more-or-less anything you did, which is why he's bearable) and it makes him a character I strongly dislike, even as the game seems to presume that I like him.

Ann is a fine character that exists to be ogled by the audience and other characters and that's really loving bad.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oh hey something I have an opinion on.

Hard Difficulties need to do 3 things.

1. Reward you, more cash, more exp, better drop rates, maybe a game unique feature, Atleast one of these. And for the love of the gods, dont lower one of the others, thats not a reward.

2. Go nowhere near oneshots from normal attacks, nothing takes the fun out of something like dying before you even know it, especially in action type gameplay with AI party members.

3. Not lock content behind it, its so much suffering to have play the entire game on hard to access the hard only post game that has story contebt and things at level 200 when you just broke 100.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

GuyUpNorth posted:

If it's not spoilery, could one of you post what Takemi actually says if you play it straight and go "we're going to rob a person of his Treasure with capital T"`? Also, Morgana picking his staff like a proper cat :3:

The game doesn't let you enter the clinic if you pick that option.

Basically the option Arist picked is the only way to enter the clinic.

Tell the truth just has Morgana say no one would believe them.

So basically you have to make something up.

Anyway, Arist, why did you not buy any weapons?

I'm asking because equipment eats all my funds and weapons are expensive so if you aren't buying them, please tell me the reason, I want to save money.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 9, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I almost never buy weapons because they only affect your melee attack. I might go back and get one for Maaku at least because I don't want to drain his SP but Ryuji has Lunge so screw it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Buying weapons in these games is often kind of a waste of cash since they don't do anything other than influence normal attacks, which you really should only use to hit weaknesses anyway. Very rarely there will be some kind of perk to a weapon that will make it kind of worth it, but that's really, really uncommon.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I buy the best weapons I can for the first dungeon to help stretch my resources, but once that is done I mostly ignore them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GeneX posted:

Morgana's insistence on referring to Ann as "Lady Ann" , alomgside constant attempts to get her to like him, is obnoxious and unrelenting. Combine it with his constant making GBS threads on Ryuji, general arrogance, and near-omnipresence (teddie didn't chime in on more-or-less anything you did, which is why he's bearable) and it makes him a character I strongly dislike, even as the game seems to presume that I like him.

Ann is a fine character that exists to be ogled by the audience and other characters and that's really loving bad.

Eh, it's a crush. Morgana is never skeevy about it. Teddie did way worse in P4.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

What about guns?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

Teddie was terrible and awful with his flirting. It got on my nerves.

Morgana is better.

Yosuke saved you from being stuck with Teddie.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Morgana is very skeevy about it, and isn't pretty implicitly at the same emotional age as a six year old.

I do think that Teddie living with you in P4 would have been horrible though

Jen X fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 9, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

What about guns?

Same deal. You're only ever using them to hit weaknesses and knock enemies down, so why bother spending tens of thousands of yen so you can do an extra 20 damage on knock down? The best guns don't come from Untouchable anyway, but I'm sure Arist will get into that much, much later.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

ChaosArgate posted:

Same deal. You're only ever using them to hit weaknesses and knock enemies down, so why bother spending tens of thousands of yen so you can do an extra 20 damage on knock down? The best guns don't come from Untouchable anyway, but I'm sure Arist will get into that much, much later.

I know about those features and stuff, and how to get the equipment with stats.

And what about armor? The stuff you find in palaces is useful, I guess, if you sacrifice time to get it washed.

Wait, does this mean you don't buy weapons and guns at all?

That's almost 80% of my money.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I know about those features and stuff, and how to get the equipment with stats.

And what about armor? The stuff you find in palaces is useful, I guess, if you sacrifice time to get it washed.

Wait, does this mean you don't buy weapons and guns at all?

That's almost 80% of my money.

Armor can be important to pick up and update every now and again, but if you're never getting hit, you probably won't need to bother. :getin:

The stuff you pick up in palaces is usually enough for me to get by, and yeah, I don't actually buy things from Untouchable. That money usually ends up going to the clinic so I can keep a full stock of healing items.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

And I rarely bought stuff from the clinic.

Hmm...

Maybe I'll actually adopt this new strategy on my playthrough.

And I'll see what Arist does with his funds and dungeon crawling and take tips from that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm going to spend it all on lotto tickets just like in real life :unsmigghh:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Oh hey something I have an opinion on.

Hard Difficulties need to do 3 things.

1. Reward you, more cash, more exp, better drop rates, maybe a game unique feature, At least one of these. And for the love of the gods, dont lower one of the others, that's not a reward.

2. Go nowhere near oneshots from normal attacks, nothing takes the fun out of something like dying before you even know it, especially in action type gameplay with AI party members.

3. Not lock content behind it, its so much suffering to have play the entire game on hard to access the hard only post game that has story content and things at level 200 when you just broke 100.

I'm not sure you fully understand the meaning of 'hard mode'. I'm not saying they should lower drop/xp/money returns either, that mostly just seems tedious, but giving you more of that stuff seems like it renders 'hard mode' largely pointless. It's there for people who want the game to be tougher. Asking them to do more with fewer resources might be a bad idea (inasmuch as it just encourages mindless grinding), but asking them to do more with the same resources is what hard modes are generally all about. Also, asking for a unique gameplay feature in hard mode and then complaining about locking content behind a hard mode seems like a contradiction in terms.

More to the point, though, it seems like only your first point is pertinent to the subject at hand (i.e. Persona 5), unless I'm missing something critical here.

vdate fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 9, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist posted:

I'm going to spend it all on lotto tickets just like in real life :unsmigghh:

Do you ever hit it big in the Lotto? I just bought the first two then kinda forgot about it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

They really do a good job with Sojiro. At first he just seems to be another reminder that society hates you but as you dig into the game you start to see just how good a person he actually is. Also I never even saw some of the scenes in this update so I am looking forward to seeing what else I missed in this game.

Sojiro- who I almost called Sakura for some reason???- just seems like a guy trying to be a hardass all the time but can't help but show that he's not in every single conversation you have with him.

I feel like this dungeon expedition is going slower than P4 when it finally let you get up in there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Sojiro- who I almost called Sakura for some reason???- just seems like a guy trying to be a hardass all the time but can't help but show that he's not in every single conversation you have with him.

I feel like this dungeon expedition is going slower than P4 when it finally let you get up in there.

To be fair, Sakura is his surname. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Do you ever hit it big in the Lotto? I just bought the first two then kinda forgot about it.

I think you can win like 100,000 yen from it but I've never actually done it.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

ChaosArgate posted:

Worth mentioning that it might be worth upgrading to better guns if you can get an increase in accuracy. It's the only time I've bought new guns for my crew so far, because having all these bullets to ration out over a dungeon run and seeing them miss kept breaking my heart.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

To be fair, Sakura is his surname. :v:

Oh, well now it just makes perfect sense. Thank you for that.

Also, boy you guys seriously wanna get into this game. Conversations about Ann's usefulness late-game, how she stacks up against later party members, skills we haven't seen yet.

It's like I'm in a Geop or Chip Cheezum thread. :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

For all that I have serious problems with basically the entirety of the game's first 2 arcs, the game absolutely nails Sojiro's characterization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GeneX posted:

I do think that Teddie living with you in P4 would have been horrible though

Yes, that certainly would have been unbearable.