Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Zyla posted:

anyone ever get their hat back from tossing it on a hat trick??

I did, but it was at an AHL game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

At what point do we start worrying about Sidney's Brain

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like 2012.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Approximately 7 years ago!

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

The Dirty Burger posted:

I feel so bad for Crosby. Can people please stop targeting great players' brains? signed not even remotely or ever a Pens fan :(

(I know the pic is an accidental skate contact, I mean in regards to the cross check and all the head hits and what not. Head hits are so loving dangerous and should be double digit suspensions minimum)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/SWhyno/status/861766346324967426

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Start of 7OT: 7-7 tie, hockey gods willing

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

dont be mean to me posted:

Start of 7OT: 7-7 tie, hockey gods willing

Ending 8-7, scored by 87

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Now is the Caps chance. Last night is usually when it ends but no they won soundly. They MUST win game 7 now or else they should just be contracted. This happened before though I think back in the first time in the Ovechkin era we faced the Penguins in a game 7. We won a big game 6 in Pittsburgh but that was in overtime and we were outplayed. It wasn't like this. But that game Pittsburgh won like 6-2 or something. We were also up 2-0 in that series unlike this one. They have to come back this time and they have to win. LETS GO CAPS!!!

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
^^^^ 2009 man, aka Varlamov makes stinky in his snow pants. ^^^^^

Truly this must massively put things in favor of the capitals. Let me just check their splits with a game 7 at home senariohmygod

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Captain Internet posted:

^^^^ 2009 man, aka Varlamov makes stinky in his snow pants. ^^^^^

Truly this must massively put things in favor of the capitals. Let me just check their splits with a game 7 at home senariohmygod

:suicide: It feels different this year! :suicide:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

It's so hard to not get my hopes up right now. I think it's fair to say that this is the Capitals' first or second most important game in franchise history and while they have clearly been the better team for most of the series I can see them losing in heartbreaking fashion.

Please one time hockey gods be on my side.

I just got a ticket for Game 7. Apologies in advance for ruining everything with my hope.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Hopeful and optimistic is the only way to be right now. Although I have a reserve of despair I can tap into if needed. But that game 6 was very encouraging. There was no flukey crap or weird bounces, the Caps just outplayed them. Reminds me of when we beat the Rangers way back when after being down 3-1, that's kind of what the game 6 was like. Then in game 7 Sergei Federov scored the game winning goal and the Caps moved on.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Say hi to the "Fire Dan Snyder" guy. He showed up in Pittsburgh last night and will be there for game 7.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.a9cba2ee7be9

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Kawalimus posted:

Hopeful and optimistic is the only way to be right now. Although I have a reserve of despair I can tap into if needed. But that game 6 was very encouraging. There was no flukey crap or weird bounces, the Caps just outplayed them. Reminds me of when we beat the Rangers way back when after being down 3-1, that's kind of what the game 6 was like. Then in game 7 Sergei Federov scored the game winning goal and the Caps moved on.

the unbearable persistence of hope

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

AsInHowe posted:

All things considered, the ten best teams in NHL history in some order:

- late '40s Maple Leafs
- early '50s Red Wings
- late '50s Canadiens
- early '60s Maple Leafs
- mid '70s Canadiens
- '80s Islanders
- '80s Oilers
- '90s Red Wings
- 2002 Red Wings
- '10s Blackhawks

I'm hesitant to put any team from before the 1967 expansion as one of the best ever. Dominating a 6 team league is pretty meaningless, in my opinion.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm hesitant to put any team from before the 1967 expansion as one of the best ever. Dominating a 6 team league is pretty meaningless, in my opinion.

4 or 5 Cups puts some in the discussion.

I left off some other dynasties, like the late '60s Canadiens, for expansion reasons. (That team won three straight Cups, in a format where the best Original 6 team played the bext expansion team in the Finals. They went 12-1 against St. Louis in three straight years.)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If the Caps lose after out shooting the Pens every game in this series that's a pretty hefty choke. I expect they'll come out guns blazing and win game 7 like 5-2 or something though. I don't see any reason it will be too different from game 6 really. The Pens are just out of gas and outclassed.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

If the Caps lose after out shooting the Pens every game in this series that's a pretty hefty choke. I expect they'll come out guns blazing and win game 7 like 5-2 or something though. I don't see any reason it will be too different from game 6 really. The Pens are just out of gas and outclassed.

not nearly as hefty a choke as if the completely unquestionably Shook pens choke away a 3-1 series lead

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Any team before the modern draft format doesn't count.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

not nearly as hefty a choke as if the completely unquestionably Shook pens choke away a 3-1 series lead

It's hard for me to consider it a choke when the Pens are lucky to be up in the first place. The past two games are the bounces finally correcting and rewarding the team that has been controlling play all series. Turns out getting out shot in in 11/12 playoff games is not the most sustainable way to keep winning. Who knew.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

It's hard for me to consider it a choke when the Pens are lucky to be up in the first place. The past two games are the bounces finally correcting and rewarding the team that has been controlling play all series. Turns out getting out shot in in 11/12 playoff games is not the most sustainable way to keep winning. Who knew.

luckily the Rules of the Sports Choke are not up to you and if your team loses, it will be a failure and a choke. your attempts to escape this miserable future are futile. succumb and accept darkness, fan of reigning stanley cup champion who still might win the series

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Penguins blowing a 3-1 lead to the best team in the league would not be a choke.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

luckily the Rules of the Sports Choke are not up to you and if your team loses, it will be a failure and a choke. your attempts to escape this miserable future are futile. succumb and accept darkness, fan of reigning stanley cup champion who still might win the series

Call it what you will. I accepted the impending darkness the minute Letang got his spine scrambled.

fuckin lol if the Pens win game 7 though after the way they've played though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Penguins blowing a 3-1 lead to the best team in the league would not be a choke.

'Choke' is a pretty empty term, but losing three straight elimination games is pretty uninspiring regardless of the opposition.

With that said, I don't get why people are acting like it's already over. 72 hours ago the Caps were a bunch of losers who'll never win a thing. The series is far from over.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

'Choke' is a pretty empty term, but losing three straight elimination games is pretty uninspiring regardless of the opposition.

True, but it just doesn't feel like a choke in the same way getting swept by the 8 seed or blowing a 3-0 lead would.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Disappointing though. Not that anyone on the team needs to cement a legacy but being the only team going back to back in the cap era would be a hell of a feather in their cap but ah well.
I suppose if it can't be them Ovi finally getting his shot isn't the worst outcome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, "best ever" and sports semantics on the same page? I think I just filled out my bingo card!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

With that said, I don't get why people are acting like it's already over. 72 hours ago the Caps were a bunch of losers who'll never win a thing. The series is far from over.

Stupid things can happen in game 7s and especially when the Caps are involved so yeah there is that.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

ThinkTank posted:

'

theres only one game left to play so acutally its pretty close to over

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

Ginette Reno posted:

This is why it's hard to be too mad after last night's loss. We've been consistently outplayed but gotten lucky (including with MAF playing over his head). It's not over yet, but it's probably time to pay the piper.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
There is every possibility that the Caps will blow it tomorrow.

Or win, exorcise all demons (by beating a barely functioning team and likely double- or triple-concussed Crosby) and then lose to Ottawa or the Rangers.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The 90s Red Wings were 1-4 against the other great teams from its era (Devils, Avalanche). I'd take the 2001 Avalanche or 2000 Devils over either of their Cup teams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It needs to be the Rangers, the other team on the list of teams that have cockblocked the Capitals.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Penguins/Capitals Game 5 got the best US ratings for a non-Stanley Cup Final game possibly ever

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Penguins/Capitals Game 5 got the best US ratings for a non-Stanley Cup Final game possibly ever

To put that in perspective, it did slightly better than the non-clinching NBA pre-game show it was up against.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

T-Bone posted:

The 90s Red Wings were 1-4 against the other great teams from its era (Devils, Avalanche). I'd take the 2001 Avalanche or 2000 Devils over either of their Cup teams.

The '02 Wings were their best cup team I don't know what the gently caress he's on about. poo poo, '07 was probably a better team than either of the '90s squads.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

To put that in perspective, it did slightly better than the non-clinching NBA pre-game show it was up against.

It narrowly came behind the 2 Broke Girls repeat.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

The '02 Wings were their best cup team I don't know what the gently caress he's on about. poo poo, '07 was probably a better team than either of the '90s squads.

The 95-96 Red Wings had 131 points in a time before the shootout. That's one off the record set by the 76-77 Canadiens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
And they got swept out of the finals.

• Locked thread