Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ty lue's reaction https://gfycat.com/PeskyDarlingIchidna

Bigass Moth posted:

Jordan's game suffered when his dad got killed. Lebron will never fade that problem.

karl malone isnt immortal or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/KGArea21/status/861768141696679936

Rondo clearly still really loving hates Ray Allen.

Edit: :laffo: just noticed Paul Pierce is sitting in a wheelchair

Why are Perk and Big Baby even included in this as if Ray Allen abandoned them too? They weren't even playing for the Celtics anymore a year before it happened.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Dexo posted:

gently caress you its MJ. Nobody is getting jumped and robbed over some loving lebrons

People get robbed for Yeezy's but that does'nt mean that Kayne is the GOAT rapper.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The two most dominant teams are Mike Brown's Warriors and Ty Lue's Cavaliers

Okay, sure

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

patonthebach posted:

People get robbed for Yeezy's but that does'nt mean that Kayne is the GOAT rapper.

It's only because Big Pun never made shoes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why do the rest of the Big Three era Celtics hate Ray Allen?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Because Marbury poisoned the well
http://www.theonion.com/article/stephon-marbury-embroils-celtics-big-3-in-elaborat-2676

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

patonthebach posted:

I mean Kanye's run from CD to MBDTF is one of the best runs by any rapper of all time. And in terms of influence on the medium I mean...

I personally don't think so but I could hear and see a good argument being made.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Iago....

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zogo posted:

Kareem played before all of them but nobody has come close to topping his body of work since he retired nearly thirty years ago.

Reggie Miller is the original 3P guy who broke the mold.

Kareem scored 38,387 points with a TS% of 59.2%. Two objective measurements that nobody has come close to replicating. At the current rate LBJ will have to score ~45,000 points to get near Kareem. Points are objectively the most important stat in the game.

LBJ is climbing the GOAT ladder but some are succumbing to an acute case of recency. If Kareem was playing today he'd be tweeting Quran verses to Donald Trump and trolling him while LBJ was off reading The Hunger Games and throwing his own strange Trumpesque rallies in Miami.

I sense that you hold Kareem as your personal GOAT. (With which I cannot disagree.) Am I right?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

zoux posted:

In 2012 the Celtics took Miami to 7 games in the ECF and almost made it to the Finals again against an OKC team I think Boston would have had a great chance against.

The following offseason Ray Allen left the Celtics for Miami, killing off the Boston team and giving Miami a very potent weapon in the process. So its basically like Durant.

Also, Ray Allen is a little weird too and doesn't handle personal interactions very well. Combine that with KG being insane and Pierce pissed his window was slammed shut you have a feud.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

In 2012 the Celtics took Miami to 7 games in the ECF and almost made it to the Finals again against an OKC team I think Boston would have had a great chance against.

The following offseason Ray Allen left the Celtics for Miami, killing off the Boston team and giving Miami a very potent weapon in the process. So its basically like Durant.

Also, Ray Allen is a little weird too and doesn't handle personal interactions very well. Combine that with KG being insane and Pierce pissed his window was slammed shut you have a feud.

IIRC, Ray Allen would expect the other guys to show up to his charity events but would blow off anyone else's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

drat now I'm mad at Ray Allen.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

mdemone posted:

I sense that you hold Kareem as your personal GOAT. (With which I cannot disagree.) Am I right?

Ehhh he was pretty good but he didn't work hard enough on defense. A lot of the times, he didn't even run down the court. And he didn't really try, except during the playoffs.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Good news, y'all. Michael Sweetney is trim & talking about his depression.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-bust-michael-sweetney-finds-peace-depression-article-1.3141948

quote:

On his first day in the Rookie Transition Program, Sweetney learned about the heart attack that killed his 52-year-old father, Samuel. Just two days after the funeral, the power forward began his first NBA training camp.

"I didn't really have no time to digest it," Sweetney, now 34 years old, said. "And it just started to be a snowball effect and I just started being really depressed and started gaining weight and things just started going in a bad way. I think at that time, nobody really talked about it. You were looked at as crazy, kind of where now people are talking about depression and things like that. People say depression. Back then, you were crazy. So I was just one thing I was scared to talk about it."

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dexo posted:

I mean Kanye's run from CD to MBDTF is one of the best runs by any rapper of all time. And in terms of influence on the medium I mean...

I personally don't think so but I could hear and see a good argument being made.

A professor of sound studies at the local state university explained to me at a party that 808s and Heartbreak is one of the single most influential albums in how modern hip hop got its current style or something like that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

Ehhh he was pretty good but he didn't work hard enough on defense. A lot of the times, he didn't even run down the court. And he didn't really try, except during the playoffs.

Nice.

I'm happy for Sweetney but a little disappointed I won't be able to watch a 450lb man play 3 on 3.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
The Boozer thread led me to this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7AAD5Sx2jw

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm looking through their rosters and those Celtics teams cycled through so many lovely old dudes, I'd forgotten about most of Shaq, Jermaine O'Neal, Starbury, Sam Cassell, Michael Finley, Rasheed Wallace, Jason Terry and Jason Collins. Darko got a ten-day with them, in the year 2013.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

A professor of sound studies at the local state university explained to me at a party that 808s and Heartbreak is one of the single most influential albums in how modern hip hop got its current style or something like that.
It is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/bhofheimer_espn/status/861960865427451905

A) This is dumb
B) I hate Kaminsky so much

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://streamable.com/cvv8k

What is IT saying to the fans?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

Except OKC never repeatedly tried to trade Durant

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

It's not that much like Durant because OKC wasn't dangling Durant as trade bait over and over. They came very close to trading Allen multiple times, probably most prominently for OJ Mayo.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone else getting NBA Playgrounds today?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://streamable.com/cvv8k

What is IT saying to the fans?

"I'll gently caress you up, you know that"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think I remember the reason why Ainge traded Perks away was because Shaq was playing well enough before he died in the playoffs. Was that the same year Wade destroyed Rondo's arm backwards?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Spacebump posted:

It's not that much like Durant because OKC wasn't dangling Durant as trade bait over and over. They came very close to trading Allen multiple times, probably most prominently for OJ Mayo.

Yeah, I did forget about that, though I tend to ignore trade rumors coming out of Boston because they are total BS at least half the time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rondo, Garnett, Pierce and Perkins can't control that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

Curry's never led the league in ORtg.

PGs #1 in ORtg:

2006 Chauncey Billups
2004 Antonio Daniels
2001 John Stockton
2000 John Stockton
1996 John Stockton
1986 Brad Davis
1985 Brad Davis
1983 Brad Davis
1976 James Silas

Go figure, shoulda looked it up. Chauncey is the only one of those guys who was over 20% usage when he did it, which I think is pretty noteworthy.

zoux posted:

drat now I'm mad at Ray Allen.

And as they all mention in that little roundtable, he didn't give them a heads up before he left, which is pretty standard poo poo for free agents. His decision not to certainly wasn't unmotivated, the relationship was already not good for reasons we don't really know (his relationship with management was bad cause they kept trying to trade him).

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Dexo posted:

Rondo, Garnett, Pierce and Perkins can't control that.

All 5 Celtics that are mad at Ray Allen were at the top of their game during that period and pretty much immediately dropped of a cliff after that team was broken up. That Celtics team was really good but were rather unlucky to only make it to the finals twice and only won the title once. Also 3 of them are out of the league and the other 2 aren't far behind, so it's probably a difficult time for them and they understandable look back on the Big 3 era with fondness.

I think there's a lot of misplaced anger at Ray Allen

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Also if I remember correctly, wasn't Ray Allen replaced at the end of the season and in the playoffs in the starting lineup by Avery Bradley? Then the Celtics signed Jason Terry pretty much as soon as the offseason began, so I could see why Allen felt like his time in Boston was done.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

All 5 Celtics that are mad at Ray Allen were at the top of their game during that period and pretty much immediately dropped of a cliff after that team was broken up. That Celtics team was really good but were rather unlucky to only make it to the finals twice and only won the title once. Also 3 of them are out of the league and the other 2 aren't far behind, so it's probably a difficult

I think there's a lot of misplaced anger at Ray Allen

I mean sure, Ray made the right call, but they probably (still) wouldn't be so mad if he hadn't just ghosted on them and actually talked to them.

Edit: Besides Rondo. That dude just hates the poo poo out of Ray.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
gently caress KG, gently caress Paul Pierce, and gently caress Rondo. Perk is whatever. Big Baby also gets a pass because him crying during a game was pretty funny.

I gotta admit that I'm warming up to KG since Area 21 is pretty entertaining however.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/861948633599668224

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

That Celtics team was really good but were rather unlucky to only make it to the finals twice and only won the title once.
Can't agree. They were never the favourites besides 2008 and were actually a pretty big surprise to make it in 2010.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Dexo posted:

It's by far the best run of all-time in rap music. Nostalgic arguments about GOAT in rap are just as bad as ones in the NBA. Early 90s rappers are the 60s Celtics of rap GOAT discussions.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

lol his face

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LeBron is a cool guy
https://streamable.com/shvmp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Libertine posted:

It's by far the best run of all-time in rap music. Nostalgic arguments about GOAT in rap are just as bad as ones in the NBA. Early 90s rappers are the 60s Celtics of rap GOAT discussions.

By Far? I mean Outkast's run is about equally insane.

• Locked thread