Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

At least half of my friends' wives are doing Rodan and Fields. I've quit hanging out with some of my friends because their wives turn every interaction into a pitch.

Edit: their acne "regimen" is sulfur, witch hazel, benzoyl peroxide, and a hypoallergenic moisturizer. Marked up 1000%

R+F attracts the Mom crowd like flies to honey.

"We're not an MLM company. We are run by real doctors!"

And pitches that revolve almost entirely around what a great career it is and less about the products. Because a successful career there means getting other people in your network, not how much product you sell, of course. Nope, no MLM here, move along.

I use the Chrome Social Fixer addon to clean up my Facebook feed but unfortunately there is nothing to be done for mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm really confused. Whats going on here?

Edit: not the jizz, the part about the house

Virtue fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 8, 2017

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
LuLaRoe is the worst. I have like 3 friends sucked into that one now and it's basically all really really crappy quality super stretchy clothes that barely last 2 washes because the company "softens" the fabric to the point where you can tear it with your fingers.

Also jamberry nail stickers. uggghhhh

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/credit-card-for-engagement-ring/ posted:

I’m buying an engagement ring for about $26,000. Is there a card I could sign up for that would give me 0% interest but some rewards that would outweigh the 2% difference I have to pay for using a card instead of cash?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Every single aspect of this annoys me bigly.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I too wish to sign up for this magical, perfect in every way card that totally exists.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
The answer is yes, 1, open a CSR and chase freedom unlimited, collect both signup bonuses, charge $4k to CSR, $22k to CFU, redeem CFU points at effective 2.25% plus bonuses while carrying $22k on the card for 15 months without interest

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010

Wait wait wait, he's willing to buy something from a jeweler for $26k but the jewelry store is going to add an extra 2% onto the cost of the thing because he's not whipping out a check or carrying around fat stacks of cash? Wouldn't ease of the transaction be paramount in this situation? Shouldn't they be supremely concerned about making it MORE easy for him to buy. Who cares if he can yell "I'm pulling a fast one on them because I GET POINTS!"

Full disclosure, I did almost exactly the same thing except the price being SIGNIFICANTLY different. When I asked the jewelry store what forms of payment they accepted they told me they would do anything that needed to be done, even run a line of credit if they had to. They just wanted to make the sale. Got a brand new credit card to buy the engagement ring/wedding band combo so that I could get points. Flew for free to Canada to be a groomsmen at a friend's wedding. Didn't pay a cent in interest.

Say what you will about the price of the ring and the buyer's BWM/GWM status, I'm more surprised by the jeweler. Risking killing a sale because you're tacking on an extra 2% fee when you're probably already making 100%+ on the sale seems BWM to me. I hope that extra 2% makes him reconsider, and do something else... like buy something he can afford.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I thought is was against merchant rules to charge more for taking a credit card? What reputable jeweler charges 2% to pay with a credit card? Isn't the mark up on rings 200%? Wouldn't the bride to be prefer a $6,000 ring and 200 $100 bills? I know I would.

Also is buying SMALT BWM?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

Therefore, without further ado, here are the BWM thread guidelines:

Things that could get you probated
This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:

Talking about yourself
BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

Did everyone forget about this rule? It's only been 14 pages. Come on people.

Nobody cares about your ring.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I thought is was against merchant rules to charge more for taking a credit card?

I really don't think so.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dude probably lives out of state and is buying the ring to avoid sales tax. A fee for paper trails?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Virtue posted:

I really don't think so.

It's against the vendor services agreement with VISA/Mastercard to charge more for credit cards. It's A-OK to give a "Discount" for cash :downs:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
in some states, you can advertise a discount for paying in cash but it's against the law to advertise a surplus charge for paying in credit, even though they're the exact same thing

well, it WAS against the law, until literally a month ago when the supreme court ruled you can (probably, pending circuit decision after remand) just advertise it as a credit card fee: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...h-restrictions/

Zo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 9, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's against the vendor services agreement with VISA/Mastercard to charge more for credit cards. It's A-OK to give a "Discount" for cash :downs:

hey look at this guy that doesn't follow supreme court decisions every month and is giving out INCREDIBLY out of date and inaccurate information, lol just lol at you

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zo posted:

hey look at this guy that doesn't follow supreme court decisions every month and is giving out INCREDIBLY out of date and inaccurate information, lol just lol at you

I'm OWNED!!! :smith:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

I actually was just reminded of that case from this discussion and didn't realize the decision was already out, but yeah the oral arguments were pretty funny since I think literally everybody understands that a discount on cash is literally the same thing as a fee on credit cards.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It was never against the law, it was just a violation of thier contract with the payments card companies.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

therobit posted:

It was never against the law, it was just a violation of thier contract with the payments card companies.
from the decision:

quote:

What the law does regulate is how sellers may communicate their prices
but yeah I'm sure the supreme court is just confused as to what a law is

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Zo posted:

I actually was just reminded of that case from this discussion and didn't realize the decision was already out, but yeah the oral arguments were pretty funny since I think literally everybody understands that a discount on cash is literally the same thing as a fee on credit cards.

It's not the same because they are advertised differently.

It's not the same to buy something advertised at $100 and then asked to pay $102 to pay by card than it is to buy something at $102 and then offered to pay $100 if paying by cash.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mantle posted:

It's not the same because they are advertised differently.

It's not the same to buy something advertised at $100 and then asked to pay $102 to pay by card than it is to buy something at $102 and then offered to pay $100 if paying by cash.

and nobody is trying to do that, you're taking about something completely different (hidden fees)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Basically Visa/MasterCard have a captive audience and are using it to bully merchants. There's a per-transaction fee (which is how the CC companies primarily make money I'm pretty sure) but that obviously comes out of the sale for the merchant when compared to cash. For small purchases, the fee can be bigger than any profit they might make.

The CC companies don't want their cards to have an obvious penalty to use (because then they'd lose customers), so their contracts with merchants say you can't offer a different price just because you use them.

Merchants were basically stuck between eating the extra cost every time someone used a card, refusing cards entirely (and thus a significant number of sales), or doing the different price thing and hoping nobody narced on them to the CC company. I believe the "cash discount" loophole was a temporary/limited ruling until things finally got to the SCOTUS for the latest verdict.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
File under Almost BWM:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/69zcti/craigslist_subletting_scam_alert/

quote:

Hello r/personalfinance,

I would like to share with you a scam that my roommate almost got himself into, until I talked him out of it and read the email exchange. My roommate is planning on subletting his apartment for the summer, and posted an ad on Craigslist. He got a response the same day from a "girl" from Switzerland. The girl asked him to immediately remove the listing so that he was committed to the deal. She told him she was willing to pay any price, and move in/out on any day. The only caveat, however, was that she would have her boss send him a check for more than the amount for rent and utilities for the entire summer, and then he would send back the remainder. On top of this, she needed the remaining money so she could book her flight over here. This meant he would need to send the money back soon, before he could really check to see if the check clears. She also told him to take as much as he needed, with no real set price, and this was before seeing any pictures of the apartment.

He thought this sounded totally reasonable, and was about to do it, before I warned him not to and to look into it some more. I knew from reading on this subreddit, that many scams involve sending a check to a person, then having the person send money back before the check completely clears, so thank you r/personalfinance! I am almost positive this is a scam, and wanted to thank you guys, and watch out for this kind of scam for yourselves!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Virtue posted:

I'm really confused. Whats going on here?

Edit: not the jizz, the part about the house

I guess I could have provided context - Canada is in a speculative real estate bubble fueled by easy credit and chickenshit politicians who can't threaten their voter base's ~house values~. Toronto specifically is up something stupid like 30% y/y, so the 'buy now or never' mantra means people are getting into bidding wars over rat traps with no conditions. It's to the point where real estate is the largest contributor to GDP before even counting in related industries like construction and finance. A lot of discretionary spending comes from paper gain HELOCs.

This dude is experiencing buyer's regret after doing the rough equivalent of buying a pre-fab condo on an interest only NINJA loan in Miami circa Q3 2006, but in a recourse-mortgage area. Between taxes, interest, penalties, fees, etc the dude will likely be out maybe 100k between the emotional buy and emotional sell. If he's lucky a greater fool will come along to bail him out and mitigate his losses, if he's not then lol.

e. pricing it out because why not - lost costs would be 3% CMHC fee (25.5k), 5% realtor fee (42.5k), a few months interest as a mortgage breaking penalty (5-10k depending on lender if he can sell it before rates rise next month), land transfer fees (26k between provincial and municipal up front, though some will be rebatable as a first time buyer). Dude needs to sell now for +100k to break even, ignoring property taxes/insurance/maintenance.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 9, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So is there an investment vehicle I can dump a bunch of money into that will pay out big once canada's housing bubble inevitably pops and ruins the entire economy again, might as well make money off it since it's so glaringly obvious :sigh:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

So is there an investment vehicle I can dump a bunch of money into that will pay out big once canada's housing bubble inevitably pops and ruins the entire economy again, might as well make money off it since it's so glaringly obvious :sigh:

You can short the Canadian economy because it will probably go bust.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Is Lularoe lululemon for poor people? I didn't say "dumb" people as lululemon is pretty dumb despite the high quality on some of their items.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Blinkman987 posted:

Is Lularoe lululemon for poor people? I didn't say "dumb" people as lululemon is pretty dumb despite the high quality on some of their items.

Lularoe sells leggings but otherwise all normal daywear clothes for ladies, men, and kids. Lululemon only sells athletic wear.

Now let's look for a Lularoe seller near you..... :stare:

e: I am legitimately depressed by this map.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 9, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

I guess I could have provided context - Canada is in a speculative real estate bubble fueled by easy credit and chickenshit politicians who can't threaten their voter base's ~house values~. Toronto specifically is up something stupid like 30% y/y, so the 'buy now or never' mantra means people are getting into bidding wars over rat traps with no conditions. It's to the point where real estate is the largest contributor to GDP before even counting in related industries like construction and finance. A lot of discretionary spending comes from paper gain HELOCs.

This dude is experiencing buyer's regret after doing the rough equivalent of buying a pre-fab condo on an interest only NINJA loan in Miami circa Q3 2006, but in a recourse-mortgage area. Between taxes, interest, penalties, fees, etc the dude will likely be out maybe 100k between the emotional buy and emotional sell. If he's lucky a greater fool will come along to bail him out and mitigate his losses, if he's not then lol.

e. pricing it out because why not - lost costs would be 3% CMHC fee (25.5k), 5% realtor fee (42.5k), a few months interest as a mortgage breaking penalty (5-10k depending on lender if he can sell it before rates rise next month), land transfer fees (26k between provincial and municipal up front, though some will be rebatable as a first time buyer). Dude needs to sell now for +100k to break even, ignoring property taxes/insurance/maintenance.

To add some additional context, I read somewhere that housing for the US in 2006, when building was frantic and lenders were throwing money at anyone with a pulse, represented 6% of GDP. In a sane marketplace when everything is balanced it represents about 4%. And that hosed things up worldwide.

Canada wouldn't normally have worldwide economic repercussions, except there's a whole lot of Chinese money that's going to disappear along with locals' equity.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Krispy Kareem posted:

Canada wouldn't normally have worldwide economic repercussions, except there's a whole lot of Chinese money that's going to disappear along with locals' equity.

It still won't have worldwide economic repercussions. The US spends more on healthcare every year than the entire GDPs of Australia and Canada combined.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Like there are 25 corporations with revenues higher than the Canadian Real Estate market. Who even cares about 200 billion $CAD anymore? (Only about 150B $USD).

Is it gonna gently caress poo poo up in Canada? Oh you better believe it, eh, but it's not the 10x leveraged mortgage backed accelerant that we were all getting high on in 2007.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The implosion will be isolated unlike the subprime crisis, until we find out Citibank and Bank of America are balls deep in Vancouver area condos.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Highschool fundraisers always struck me as using a similar tactic as the MLM stuff in terms of sales. No one really wants to buy 8 frozen cheesecakes of questionable quality (you might want to eat 8 cheesecakes, but that's a different story) but you get a bunch of teenagers to push them on their families and family friends so that the band program can stay afloat and suddenly you're causing a spike in the obesity rates in your home town. People buy things they don't really want to give a marginal amount of money to a program they do want to support.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just give kids a couple dollars and tell them to keep the sugary poo poo. It's a nice compromise.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

The implosion will be isolated unlike the subprime crisis, until we find out Citibank and Bank of America are balls deep in Vancouver area condos.

Meanwhile from what I understand New Zealand has a bunch of global investment now because it happened to come out of the financial crisis without being affected too much and if there's one thing banks love it's the proven fact that past performance definitely indicates future results, so when their bubble pops it could easily be amplified globally a ton.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Citi and BOA put together have about exactly the total assets of all of Canada ($7T) so it will probably be ok even if they take big hypothetical losses on condos in Canada

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

Meanwhile from what I understand New Zealand has a bunch of global investment now because it happened to come out of the financial crisis without being affected too much and if there's one thing banks love it's the proven fact that past performance definitely indicates future results, so when their bubble pops it could easily be amplified globally a ton.

Yeah, but it's New Zealand. So the impact will be like that water cup scene in Jurassic Park. Except it'll stop after the first thump.

And then the rest of the world will go on while Mad Max 4 is taking place in the Shire.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What does it mean to be "financially responsible but not have the credit for a mortgage", those things seem to come closely hand in hand

In the US at least that probably means medical bills. You can be incredibly financially disciplined, but a lengthy illness or injury will wipe you out just the same. Sucks, but still doesn't mean you should try to finance a house though.

e: Hi there, 2 whole new pages. :downs:

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 9, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I had someone pull a really awkward BWM power move during the hiring process yesterday.

- This guy got the job
- We made him the official offer with the same salary posted on the job posting
- This is a government job, so legally we can't pay him much more than we offered (we could have paid him a little bit more, but they always leave room for cost of living raises so that they don't need to deny people raises or reclassify them)
- He knew the salary going in. (it was about $35,000 a year; the cap for his title is about $39,000 per year)

He said that he had to "politely decline the offer because I need at least $50,00 a year."

Our HR person told him that they legally can't pay him that much and the offer is $35,000 (which is 135% of median salary for the position)

He said, "My mom always told me to know your worth. I know my value and I know my skill set. I'm afraid that I am going to have to decline. I appreciate your time. You can get in touch with me if you change your mind. Thank you."

They hired the 2nd choice an hour later.

Today, he called our HR rep back to ask if they had reconsidered their offer and that he would go down to $40,000 a year (still higher than the max allowed for the position) and take the job.

When they told him that it had already been filled, he asked them to reconsider and that he would take the original salary and to please not do this to him.

It was painfully awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I had someone pull a really awkward BWM power move during the hiring process yesterday.

- This guy got the job
- We made him the official offer with the same salary posted on the job posting
- This is a government job, so legally we can't pay him much more than we offered (we could have paid him a little bit more, but they always leave room for cost of living raises so that they don't need to deny people raises or reclassify them)
- He knew the salary going in. (it was about $35,000 a year; the cap for his title is about $39,000 per year)

He said that he had to "politely decline the offer because I need at least $50,00 a year."

Our HR person told him that they legally can't pay him that much and the offer is $35,000 (which is 135% of median salary for the position)

He said, "My mom always told me to know your worth. I know my value and I know my skill set. I'm afraid that I am going to have to decline. I appreciate your time. You can get in touch with me if you change your mind. Thank you."

They hired the 2nd choice an hour later.

Today, he called our HR rep back to ask if they had reconsidered their offer and that he would go down to $40,000 a year (still higher than the max allowed for the position) and take the job.

When they told him that it had already been filled, he asked them to reconsider and that he would take the original salary and to please not do this to him.

It was painfully awkward.

How old was he :allears: